Trump declares himself “king”

Joaniepoanie

I‘m surprised this hasn’t been posted yet. Responding to an article by Peter Baker who quoted Emerson, Trump changes the quote and refers to himself as a king. A storm of tweets follow telling him he is NOT king. Who did not see this coming with Trump’s “acquittal?”

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/483234-trump-quotes-ny-times-article-citing-emerson-quote-about-going-after

SaveComment45Like1
Comments (45)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HU-885118952

Serious question-- do you not get what Trump was alluding to? It is a very famous quote which has derivations familiar to most people who have a grasp on the American zeitgeist.

I mean, seriously...do you really believe Trump was literally referring to himself as a King or the King, or do you understand the very well-known reference he was using??

Save    
HU-885118952

Moreover, Trump is once again, SPOT ON.

Democrats took their best shot and THEY MISSED.

This is exactly what Pelosi warned about, but the radical leftists dragged her into impeachment.

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

Fantastic show, btw. Not surprised Trump is a fan.

Save    
Toby

I'm sure she understands as it's right there in the link.

I'm amazed when posters rush in without reading the link.

Dems could not take down the King because of his hold on his corrupt court.

Patience.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Joaniepoanie
queenmargo

LOL- I declared myself queen.

3 Likes Save    
chipotle

Considering ......

Not something to brag about.

Save    
queenmargo

LOL

Save    
queenmargo

chipoltle- you and I might have a good laugh in the real world if not for Trump.

Save    
Embothrium(Sunset Climate Zone 5, USDA Hardiness Zone 8)

Trump, unfortunately is very much a part of the real world.

Save    
ubro(2a)

Serious question-- do you not get what Trump was alluding to? It is a very famous quote which has derivations familiar to most people who have a grasp on the American zeitgeist.

First off, is it not weird to refer to yourself in the third person, secondly he changed the quote to 'the' king, instead of Emerson's real quote of 'a' king, clearly referring to himself as King. Had he put the original quote maybe you might have an argument.

From Trump's twitter feed:

Trial of President Trump. ‘When you strike at the King, Emerson famously said, “you must kill him.’ Mr. Trump’s foes struck at him but did not take him down. A triumphant Mr.Trump emerges from the...

But this twitter post should have you concerned.

Donald J. Trump

✔@realDonaldTrump

“The President has never asked me to do anything in a criminal case.” A.G. Barr This doesn’t mean that I do not have, as President, the legal right to do so, I do, but I have so far chosen not to!

7:33 AM - Feb 14, 2020

ETA bolding is mine.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Joaniepoanie
adoptedbyhounds

Dems planned their "coup" before Donald Trump was elected. Their coup wasn't about removing a king. Their coup was designed to make the GOP presidential candidate unelectable, or to rob him of legitimacy if he WON the election.

1 Like Save    
ubro(2a)

It is not a "coup" look the word up, no violence and the Republican's would still have been in power via Pence.

Their coup was designed to make the GOP presidential candidate unelectable, or to rob him of legitimacy if he WON the election.

If the POTUS was innocent he should have stood tall and made his case, he ran and hid, and is now taking his revenge out on those brave enough to defy him.

6 Likes Save     Thanked by Joaniepoanie
Annie Deighnaugh

Their coup was designed to make the GOP presidential candidate unelectable...

a) that's always what the opposition does...you think the gop kept hammering on hillary's emails and her foundation etc. to *make* her *electable*? Why is tearing down the opposition only ok if the gop does it?

b) the dems were pikers when it came to making trump unelectable...nothing they threw at him came anywhere near what he was throwing around himself from his using foul language to video of him bragging about grabbing women to horrible things he said about mccain to mocking a disabled reporter and more. Only thing is, his supporters were willing to sink even lower to support him than he was sinking himself.

8 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"If the POTUS was innocent he should have stood tall and made his case, he ran and hid, and is now taking his revenge out on those brave enough to defy him."

Nope. The president hasn't been "hiding" at all. He is everywhere! He has been doing what he said he would do, and the country continues to thrive under his leadership.

FYI, under our system no one, not even the president, has an obligation to prove hi or she is innocent. Those who tried to frame him failed. They didn't get to pick our president for us, and some are now rightly under investigation themselves. It's all good.

that's always what the opposition does...you think the gop kept hammering on hillary's emails and her foundation etc. to *make* her *electable*?

You are mistaken, Annie. It is not normal for the opposition to involve the FBI and CIA in trying to frame a presidential candidate as conspiring with Russia. That's what happened in 2016, and we await the results of the Durham investigation.

Regarding Hillary's emails, it was the head of the FBI, James Comey who did his best to prevent Hillary's own actions from making her unelectable.

Only thing is, his supporters were willing to sink even lower to support him than he was sinking himself.

Your description of half of the voters is one of the reasons Trump supporters remain steadfastly behind him. The attacks on the president have morphed into vile attacks his supporters. No idea how Dems expect middle America to respond to the ongoing attacks, but it certainly has drawn their attention. Which is good.

4 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Like the Repubs weren’t planning Hillary’s impeachment before the election?! After eight years of nonstop obstruction, mind you.

Trump kept saying that if Hillary won, the election was rigged. Projection and insider knowledge that it was actually rigged for him perhaps? If an election is rigged, it’s rigged....period. It was quite laughable that he kept whining it was rigged for Hillary, yet it wasn’t rigged for him.

4 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Re declaring himself king, dictator, authoritarian despot.....It’s at 1:40

Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

"Democrats took their best shot and THEY MISSED."

Nyuk, nah, the demos were right on target, the repubs jumped in the way and took the bullet for trump. It was either that or commit instant suicide by calling witnesses. The gop figured that it's better to take a chance bleeding to death before november.

10 Likes Save     Thanked by Joaniepoanie
chipotle

It's like p*** for gullible people.

Remember, Trump stole from vets via a fraud online university.

His supporters all know that he stole from vets.

But darn it, they just like that he says stuff they like.

And that's how he cut his own taxes.

Trump ad:

https://twitter.com/JohnFugelsang/status/1229526666529169408

4 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

You are mistaken, Annie. It is not normal for the opposition to involve the FBI and CIA in trying to frame a presidential candidate as conspiring with Russia. That's what happened in 2016, and we await the results of the Durham investigation.

There is no evidence that the opposition with the help of the fbi and the cia tried to frame trump. In fact, just the opposite. There is lots of evidence that trump was involved with the russians and accepted their help and encouraged them to help during the election. Rather the truth is that the fbi kept trump's investigation under wraps until *after* the election vs. making public statements about hillary and her emails *before* the election. If they were conspiring with the dnc don't you think they would've done just the opposite?

And what info we have from durham to date suggests he's found no evidence of such a conspiracy.

bob_cville

> "If the POTUS was innocent he should have stood tall and made his
case, he ran and hid, and is now taking his revenge out on those brave
enough to defy him."

> Nope. The president hasn't been "hiding" at all. He is everywhere!
He has been doing what he said he would do, and the country continues
to thrive under his leadership.

He certainly hid those with direct knowledge of his illegal actions by forbidding them from testifying in the House, and he hid documents that would likewise show his guilt, by instructing his underlings to disobey subpoenas, and he continues to fight tooth and nail to block the the release of his taxes to Congress, despite a simple to understand law that states quite plainly that "upon the request of Congress, the Treasury Department shall provide the tax return information of anyone in the United States.

So while yes he has been out gallivanting around the country at rallies and campaign events, he has been hiding like a scared rabbit from those who have been seeking to expose his crimes.

> under our system no one, not even the president, has an obligation to prove hi or she is innocent.

Yes, but, in Trump's own words: “If you're innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” So he clearly believes refusing to testify is evidence of guilt. Except of course when he does it, cause he's the King.

9 Likes Save     Thanked by Joaniepoanie
Annie Deighnaugh

If someone robs a house and you call them a robber, that's not an attack. And if someone doesn't like being called a robber, then perhaps they shouldn't rob houses.

So if you [general you for trump supporters, not any specific poster] don't like having to constantly make excuses for or defend trump's "rough around the edges" behavior... like bragging about grabbing women and having over 20 allegations of sexual assault against him and being convicted of fraud for his university and his foundation, and his 15,000+ lies, and hiring racists into his administration, and violating the emoluments clauses, and being an unindicted co-conspirator in a felony, and supporting dictators and palling around with russians and mobsters... then just stop. Hold *him* responsible for his behavior. Defending, excusing and supporting it diminishes you by becoming complicit in your approval of his bad behavior.

There's no way to be a trump apologist and not on some level be dragged down by it. If you are defending his behavior, behavior that you would never ever condone for yourself or your family or your friends, then you are paying a price† for doing so. Now maybe, for you, the low unemployment rate or the build a wall rhetoric or whatever is worth that price...maybe not. That's an assessment only you can make.

But if you are going there, don't be surprised if people call you on it. That's not an attack. It's simply pointing out what you are doing. If you don't like it, then perhaps rethink it...you can always just stop.

---------------------------

†Part of that price, IMO, includes losing credibility when criticizing others for far less...you can't slam hillary's foundation when trump has done it so much worse...you can't slam hillary's private email server when trump has done it so much worse...you can't slam bill clinton's infidelities when trump has done it so much worse...

I mean you *can*, but you won't be taken in earnest.

12 Likes Save     Thanked by Joaniepoanie
Annie Deighnaugh

You are mistaken, Annie. It is not normal...

What isn't normal is for a candidate for the office of the presidency to have over 140 contacts with russians...call for russians to release stolen emails and within hours they do...have one of his minions dealing directly with assange who stole the emails and was releasing them...have a campaign chair who has been paid literally millions for promoting russian interests, and have the people around him committing felonies including his campaign chair, the campaign chair's lawyer and the president's personal lawyer.

Joaniepoanie

Very well said Annie and Bob! Thank you!

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

...under our system no one, not even the president, has an obligation to prove hi or she is innocent....

Yes that's true, but, if you don't want to be convicted, it behooves you to put on a case in defense against the charges if it can shed absolute proof of innocence or at least more than reasonable doubt of your guilt or innocence. There's a reason why the state provides you with an attorney if you can't afford one -- so they can put on a defense for you.

Unless of course you're the president. He has no need as he owns the majority of jurors in his back pocket, was busy jury tampering, with the foreman announcing before the trial that there is no space between him and the president on impeachment.

7 Likes Save     Thanked by Joaniepoanie
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Bravo, Annie, for all these unanswerable statements that show Trump as he is in reality, and not as the right chooses to see him. I so hope that the truth will some time soon be obvious to all, even to those who have for much too long closed their ears to it. Hiding from what is painfully obvious has never made it go away, and it won't now, although I hope this country will not be completely destroyed before it becomes clear.

8 Likes Save     Thanked by Joaniepoanie
Toby

that's always what the opposition does...you think the gop kept
hammering on hillary's emails and her foundation etc. to *make* her
*electable*?

You are mistaken, Annie. It is not normal for the opposition to
involve the FBI and CIA in trying to frame a presidential candidate as
conspiring with Russia. That's what happened in 2016, and we await the
results of the Durham investigation.

Trump's strategy to win elections isn't to make himself look moral and ethical. That ship has sailed. His goal is to tear his opponent down to his level, to make them appear as immoral and as unethical as he is. He wants the voters only choice to be between two damaged candidates.

With the help of Fox News and the GOP Congress, he did it to Hillary (who's been investigated and exonerated) and it worked beautifully in 2016. Now he is doing the same to Biden. His personal lawyer acted as a shadow State Department to investigate dirt on the Bidens. Then Trump demanded that President Zelensky announce that he was starting an investigation into the Bidens--he didn't have to actually investigate them, only announce it. Now he's trying to promote the conspiracy theory that Ukraine interfered in the election, not Russia. I suppose you think any of this is normal?

adoptedbyhounds

Where have you been, Annie? The AG has had John Durham looking into the genesis of the Russia narrative since last year.

It’s now a criminal investigation.

We already know from the much narrower Horowitz investigation that the FISA Court was misled by individuals inside the FBI. We know Mr. Durham is interested in chatting with John Brennan.

Trying to frame a presidential candidate as a Russian asset was a risky gamble. The fact that the participants kept it up after the election may well be their downfall. They couldn’t let it go, and moved on to trashing the president’s supporters.

Meanwhile, the country is humming along in spite of the failed coup. No telling how many participants from around the world are under investigation. Among the witnesses, some will be persuaded to talk. And that is how we will learn how the effort to frame candidate, and then president Trump came about.

Save    
batyabeth

^^^exactly. nope not to the above from abh but to toby .

Save     Thanked by Joaniepoanie
Annie Deighnaugh

Trying to frame a presidential candidate as a Russian asset ...

No one was *trying* to *frame* trump as a russian asset. Totally unnecessary. He was and is. We know that. From calling on russia to release hillary's emails and them doing it, to siding with putin against America's own intelligence services on the national stage, to spouting russian-created propaganda to exonerate them for election interference and lift sanctions on them, he's proven whose side he's on.

And don't throw the mueller report in my face as that was totally incomplete...not only did barr cut it short right after becoming AG, and then discredit it for an entire month before releasing it, but mueller did *not* investigate anything to do with trump's finances or *anything* to do with counterintelligence, which he turned over to the FBI. So the core of the investigation was never done independently. And instead we have trump still fighting tooth and nail any release of his finances.

7 Likes Save     Thanked by Joaniepoanie
adoptedbyhounds

"No one was *trying* to *frame* trump as a russian asset. Totally unnecessary. He was and is."

That's what you believe, Annie. It makes sense to you, and that's all that matters.

I have no interest in "throwing the Mueller Report in your face." The most informative thing it delivered was Mueller himself, on our TV screens in a shocking state of deterioration. It's all yours.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Funny, I didn't see mueller as deteriorated as much as scared to death.

Annie Deighnaugh

That's what you believe, Annie. It makes sense to you, and that's all that matters.

I wish it made sense to more people...

Toby

It was Putin who worked his KGB magic on Trump, leading him to believe that Ukraine interfered in the election, not Russia. Why did the GOP soften its platform against Russia and Ukraine during the 2016 election? Many GOPers say that the Trump campaign was behind the change in wording.

ubro(2a)

"No one was *trying* to *frame* trump as a russian asset. Totally unnecessary. He was and is."

From my point of view, 'all that matters' is if what she believes is the truth and it is.

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Thank you, ubro. I started in on the "russia" thing before the election and was treated, even by those sympatico with my political POV, as if I'd gone off the deep end. Would that it were so. I'd so rather be the nutcase and know my country is safe rather than the reverse.

Unfortunately, so many things that have happened since 2016 have supported my POV, and nothing has discredited it.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Joaniepoanie
Tilly Teabag

queenmargo

“LOL- I declared myself queen.”

No, that was some members on Houzz in 2013-14.

Save    
lurker111

I'd so rather be the nutcase and know my country is safe rather than the reverse.

Unfortunately, so many things that have happened since 2016 have supported my POV, and nothing has discredited it.

Okay.

Save    
Uptown Gal

LOL Do you honestly think that your President really knows who Emerson

was, let alone able to quote him? He has to wait until Hannity tells him/or

his minions, what to say. Trump has no idea what the posts mean.

dublinbay z6 (KS)

No "frame"

No "coup"

No matter how many times those words are used and re-used, still NADA!

Kate

Toby

From The New Yorker today:

Authoritarianism is usually associated with a punitive spirit—a leader
who prosecutes and incarcerates his enemies. But there is another side
to this leadership style. Authoritarians also dispense largesse, but
they do it by their own whims, rather than pursuant to any system or
legal rule. The point of authoritarianism is to concentrate power in the
ruler, so the world knows that all actions, good and bad, harsh and
generous, come from a single source. That’s the real lesson—a story of
creeping authoritarianism—of today’s commutations and pardons by President Trump.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-trouble-with-donald-trumps-pardons

Kathy

He announced he was top law enforcement officer of the country. Another slap at Barr.

zmith

Kathy, I was looking for Trump's tweet on that but couldn't find it quickly and had to get back to other things. I agree that may be getting on Barr's nerves, but who knows for sure.

Kathy

I wonder if it’s just a big act by both of them.

barncatz

Barr is giving a mime show of an independent DOJ. Do not read the Atlantic article in full if you are already feeling discouraged.

Barr does not need to be bullied into shielding Trump and his friends or pursuinghis enemies. Indeed, Barr’s task is to do so while maintaining a veneer of legitimacy over the process, which is impossible to do when Trump makes such demands publicly....

Although in nearly every other context, Barr has been an advocate for the harshest possible punishments, it would be wrong to say his insistence on leniency for Stone is inconsistent or out of character. He has attacked the reform-minded district attorneys who are pursuing less harsh punishments as “anti-law-enforcement DAs” who are seeking “pathetically lenient” sentences. And he has warned critics of police misconduct that if they don’t “respect” law enforcement, “they might find themselves without the police protection they need”—turning policing from a public service into a protection racket.

But Barr is also the man who pushed for pardons for high-ranking government officials who broke federal law in the Iran-Contra affair. The underlying principle here, from Stone to Iran-Contra, is authoritarian but consistent: Members of the ruling clique are entitled to criticize law enforcement without sanction, and entitled to leniency when they commit crimes on the boss’s behalf. Everyone else is entitled to kneel.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/02/trump-regime/606682/

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Yeah...this stuff is frightening, and if you aren't scared, you should be.

This is what authoritarian states are made of.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen of the Week Kitchen of the Week: Style Trumps Ease in a San Francisco Loft
What’s a little ladder climbing when you’ve got a gorgeous-looking kitchen design like this?
Full Story
Holidays Houzz Call: When Do Your Holiday Decorations Go Up?
Is it ever too soon to start spreading the holiday cheer?
Full Story
The Polite House The Polite House: On Dogs at House Parties and Working With Relatives
Emily Post’s great-great-granddaughter gives advice on having dogs at parties and handling a family member’s offer to help with projects
Full Story