SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rielle_montague

Please Help Me Decide Best Family Room Layout & Sectional

riellebee
4 years ago

Hi! I'm looking for help deciding on the best layout and sectional for my family room.

The family room is open to and off of the kitchen, which doesn’t have a designated “eat-in” area, although there's a kitchen island that we use as a table. We’re a family of four with two kids, ages 6 and 8. We need more seating for our family and guests in the family room. I’m considering a sectional because we like to spread out and lounge when watching TV. (The current sofa is a holdover from our last place but will not stay in the family room.) Ideally, I'd like to add a small round table and 2 chairs. We have a leather recliner with a small footprint that will stay in the family room. My husband would like it to stay on the far side of the room, facing the kitchen. There’s a large fireplace in the family room with a TV mounted above. (I know it isn’t a preferred set-up from a design POV, but it’s staying put.)

Floor plan (note - we had the wall between the kitchen & living room lengthened to close off the kitchen a bit and add more cabinetry in the kitchen.)

(this picture is from the when the house was staged)

In trying to determine the best seating layout, I'm also considering these factors:

• Given the recliner placement, I realize that there will be some seating with its back to the kitchen, but I don’t want the family room to feel closed off by having too much seating with its back to the kitchen area.
  • I’d like to have a secretary desk or some sort or desk/cabinet/credenza unit in the room. I currently have a secretary desk on the wall across from the fireplace. It might not stay though, especially if it would work out better to put the small table and chairs in this space.

I would really appreciate feedback and/or suggestions on the best layout for our family room!

I’m currently considering the Gather Petite Sectional from Crate & Barrel, the York Sectional from Room & Board, and the Beckham Sectional from Bassett.

I’ve created mock-up layouts with these sectionals and am sharing below. Although each sectional can be customized, they don’t all have the same pieces available, so certain configurations don’t work on all of them. If anyone has any feedback on these specific sectionals, I’d appreciate that too!

Comments (6)