SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steelyray

What to do with this lovely but shaded and way overgrown back yard

B T
4 years ago

These pics are from the summer when we moved in, about 3 years ago. So I have this round wooden pad thingy in the middle of our backyard that takes over a good bit of it. I was thinking about someday putting in a gazebo there, but would love to do a sort of twisty-corkscrew / elfin modification to a 'basic gazebo' style, kinda like my CAD hack job (I'm not a CAD guy). But that's a project for 'someday' at the moment.

The backyard is also way too dark due to the sheer number of trees and such. The former owner worked at a nursery for awhile and brought home all kinds of plants which have now simply overgrown everything. There's no place for the trampoline to fit, and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do with it all as my kids are now 6 and 7 and I have little time to take care of it all.

The back of the house faces south-southwest. The pic looking to the rightish is a bit deceiving as it looks a bit into the neighbor's property. The birch I would like to keep. The locust trees they built the deck around are too close to the house, an utter mess to clean after, and have to go. The 3 tall spruces / pines in the middle or whatever they are I think I want to lose. The overgrown hibiscus are pretty when they flower but much too large and block the light. Everything is always shadowed by the spruces along the sidewalk and the back woods so growing things that want even partial light is challenging at the moment. The play structure is in about the only space where it would reasonably fit.

Wants: more light to the house and backyard. Reduce the amount of landscaping upkeep but keep some of the beauty. Would like to keep the japanese maple. Not sure about the 7 spruces along the sidewalk.

View from the deck off the dining area.

from under the trestle arch

Looking to the rightish at the overgrown hibiscus, the line of greenery is the property line

Thoughts?

Comments (2)

Sponsored