Editor of Post-Star in NY#21 Calls Out Elise Stefanik

numbersjunkie

This was a good one.

On Oct. 10, I sent a message to Rep. Elise Stefanik.

It wasn’t a formal letter, but it was a direct message to her after she showed support for a local man who shouted threats against the newspaper at a public rally in Glens Falls.

I explained to her in the message that the threats against the newspaper had made many of the men and women who work at our newspaper – from the receptionist and obituary clerks to those in our advertising department – nervous about their safety.

I asked her to denounce the actions of this man, who was a vocal supporter of hers, and I urged her to visit the newspaper to explain to the regular workers with families why she had put them in danger.

She held a town hall meeting in Kingsbury that day, but she did not stop by the newspaper.

She did not respond to my message at all.

Until Friday of this week – Valentine’s Day—when I opened my mailbox to find a letter personally addressed to me from Elise.

“Dear Mr. Tingley” it started, but “Mr. Tingley” was crossed out and “Kenneth” was written in what appeared to be blue sharpie.

We were back on a first-name basis.

I wanted to yell out, “Call me Ken.”

Finally, Elise – I can assume I can her Elise now, right?—had seen the light.

I hoped she was responding to my concerns about the safety of our newspaper staff and her ill-advised support of people who threaten us.

Those hopes were quickly dashed.

Elise wanted me to help her fight back against the radical left.

She wanted me to help her save the country from Adam Schiff.

And she wanted to me to pledge $50, $100, $250, $500, or even $1,000. Didn’t she just finish raising $3 million in the last three months of the year?

She wrote about taking on Nancy Pelosi and Jerry Nadler for citizens in the 21st Congressional District. I don’t recall seeing either of them at the Civic Center or walking around Lake George, but Elise says they are our enemies in upstate New York.

As I continued to read the letter, I wondered if the congresswoman was a little star struck after all the attention she had gotten from President Trump.

She explained that the Democrats fear “dedicated, articulate Republican leaders like me.”

Sounded like, she was a little full of herself.

I was hoping she might mention something about bringing us together, condemning violence and telling the truth.

At the very least, some of her most important accomplishments as our representative.

Instead, Elise sounded like she was going to war.

Then – after hitting me up for a donation to her campaign – she said this:

“Of course, we cannot count on the biased media to expose the Democrats’ horrible abuses of power, their flawed accusations, or their partisan motivations. The smug media elitists have become little more than the PR division of the Democratic Party.”

How rude, I thought, especially since we were on a first name basis.

I thought about the “elite” media in our newsroom who cover late-night fires, dutifully sit through long and often tedious town and county meetings and report the stories of unscrupulous landlords to save some of our citizens a few hundred dollars while they struggle to pay their own bills. All the while, Elise cheers on those that threaten us.

I thought it odd that she is the one who went to the fancy Ivy League school in Boston, while I, the son of a machinist, got by at a couple of state schools.

Elise Stefanik can only hope to someday have the type of impact that local reporters like ours have on this community.

If writing that is what makes me “smug” and “elite” in Stefanik’s eyes, I can accept that.

But she ain’t getting a check from me.

SaveComment13Like8
Comments (13)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)

Orange gun? It looks like a bullhorn to me.

Save    
cattyles

He’s holding the bullhorn in one hand and the gun in the other.

2 Likes Save    
cattyles

Mr. Tingley, I mean Kevin, seems like a good guy. Elise is an entitled Swamp Witch.

4 Likes Save    
blfenton

(Actually it's Kenneth, or you can "Call me Ken")

What I liked about his statement was mentioning that not all employees of a media outlet, whether it be radio or tv or print. are reporters or journalists. Some are just community advocates, helping people submit an obituary, answering the phones, camera operators, ie. the backbone of the media outlet.

And the jerk in the picture is holding the bullhorn with his right hand and the orange toygun with his left.

1 Like Save    

"He’s holding the bullhorn in one hand and the gun in the other."

I enlarged the blurry photo. I thought it was the color of the bullhorn, since you can buy them in all sorts of colors. I found another photo. It's a nerf gun.

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

And what about the man's words?

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Nerf guns are loaded with sponge pellets?

Having someone pointing it at me while yelling through a bullhorn would scare me.

Save    

He's a jerk. What more can I say? He and his little band of jerks seem to have a reputation for coming in and disrupting political gatherings. They're annoying.

The nerf gun is laughable and worthy of eye-rolling.

Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

Pointing a "gun" at someone, regardless of what is shoots, is a warning of things to come. A symbol of future violence. So yes he's a jerk. And Elise Stepanik is a bigger jerk for not condemning the incident.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Is it weird that I don't find it laughable to have a crank pointing a toy gun at me? I get where some aren't bothered but I hope it's understandable that not all find it funny.

Save    
lakeaffect

Elise has been radicalized, she’s part of the Trump Cabal, a card carrying cult member.

Save    

"Is it weird that I don't find it laughable to have a crank pointing a toy gun at me? I get where some aren't bothered but I hope it's understandable that not all find it funny."

I would have laughed at him because it's stupid. It deserves to be laughed at. It's a toy that shoots spongy cellular foam projectiles. His milkshake is more of a threat.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Got it.... it has to be assault before being worried.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Salvage Houzz Call: What Have You Salvaged for Home Use?
If your floors, furniture, exterior materials or other home elements have a past life, we'd like to hear the story
Full Story
Feel-Good Home What You’re Reading This Summer — and Where
Check out Houzzers’ summer reading lists and get some ideas for your own!
Full Story
Central Plains Native Plants 6 Plants That Beat Butterfly Bush for the Wildlife Draw
It's invasive, a nonnative and a poor insect magnet. Check out these better alternatives to butterfly bush in the garden
Full Story