SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seosmp

Furnace blower motor needs to be replaced on 21+ yo - fix or get new

seosmp
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi,

I have a home built in 1998 with the original furnaces and A/Cs - Rheem single stage furnace (RGDJ-10EBRGR). It is dual zone - so 2 units each for main/basement and then for the upstairs.

The main furnace went out and I learned the blower motor needs to be replaced (had a company come out today). He indicated it would be about $320 for the parts and then ~2 hours labor (~$90/hr I think).

Given the age of the units, I'm considering replacing both instead of fixing the one.

First, this HVAC company happens to be a Lennox dealer and so have quoted me for Lennox. I was looking at 90% efficiency but there is a challenge with routing the PVC out of the house. So I may stick with the 80% but upgrade to 2 stage variable blower (SL280V, 90 BTUs and 70 BTUs) and then a 15 SEER A/C unit (13ACX-030). The upstairs unit would be similar but smaller. $5,850 + $5,712.

I had gone with Trane at my old house when I replaced the furnace there (~2002) as my research at that time must have lead me there :).

What brands are considered the best choices nowadays? Trane, Carrier, Lennox, American Standard, ???

Also - any strong recommendations to upgrade to the 90% effieciency model (I'm in NE IL)?

Thoughts on fix vs replace? One / both units, furnace / AC ?

Given that we are w/o heat in the first floor, I need to decide pretty quickly here :).

Thank you!

Comments (34)