Desperate for backyard privacy solution

Lourdes Horn

I bought a very new build house and now wish I could sell because of the lack of privacy in the backyard. We have a shared block wall with a fence over it and the neighbors kids are a nightmare.

There is no privacy because the kids sit on the fence and jump on a trampoline right behind us. Does anyone know of something that can be put across my side of the fence for privacy that doesn't look ugly? Tall trees would be very expensive as the fence is pretty high and I would need a lot of trees to line the whole back area and would have to wait for the trees to grow together for complete privacy. Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

SaveComment35Like1
Comments (35)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katinparadise

Are there HOA guidelines to which you must adhere? If not, consider attaching rolled bamboo fencing to the existing fence. It's fairly inexpensive and easily removed if need be. https://www.homedepot.com/b/Lumber-Composites-Fencing-Garden-Fencing/Bamboo/N-5yc1vZc3m1Z1z0u6r0

8 Likes Save    
LALA

Is there any kind of ledge where the wall meets the fence?

Save    
Lourdes Horn

Thanks, I just looked into the HOA guidelines it says no sports apparatus. So I am not sure that includes a trampoline.

3 Likes Save    
Lourdes Horn

no, there is no ledge.

Save    
suedonim75

What about the mesh that they use around tennis courts?

Save    
functionthenlook

Whose property is the wall/fence on? If yours you will have to run the fence block past the HOA.

Save    
gail613

How about using patio Umbrellas or shade sails along the fence line?

4 Likes Save    
decoenthusiaste

Ask HOA if you can put a trampoline on your property. You'll find out quickly if the neighbor's is sports equipment or not. What you do after that depends on whether you want friends or enemies on the other side of the fence.

6 Likes Save    
partim

Trampoline gymnastics is an Olympic sport so I'd say that a trampoline is a piece of sports equipment.

3 Likes Save    
Stacey

Green Giant Thuja

Save    
Lisa Dipiro

Put some trellises in the ground below and build higher up, then string so that you can plant climbing plants... all natural

3 Likes Save    
lindahambleton

I immediately thought of rolled bamboo fence also. I have done it and it is lovely. If the hoa approves.

2 Likes Save    
e s

Attach lattice to the top railing. If you want to fill in the holes on the lattice you can attach vines or ivy.

If that doesn't work make sure you have your home showings when the neighbors kids aren't home. Good Luck

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-4-ft-x-8-ft-White-Garden-Vinyl-Lattice-73004026/100011154

3 Likes Save    
jeffreyd9999

No brainer, I would turn in the trampoline, anonymous letter to the HOA.

Have the kids figured out how to toss crap (dirt clods/rocks/doggy doo) into your pool yet? Wait until they start climbing down to get their ball that "fell" into your pool. Also be prepared for one of them to fall in too...

No trespassing signs.

it's a great place to have a huge gas BBQ grill too. Fire up some really greasy/smokey burgers just when the kids decide to use the trampoline. But remember, grills don't float, so make sure you chain it down.

Some kind of fast growing vine type plants. Let it grow up the wall and onto the fence. Preferably poison ivy or sumac... Be aware, the HOA will tell you to remove it. Then claim you didn't realize what it was or that it was a violation, you just thought it was "pretty" and someone told you it was drought tolerant. Then remove it before they fine you.

I would also suggest video cameras. You will need proof that they did the damage. Because, "our little angels would never do that"...

FYI, I was never "that" kid growing up. But I sure knew a few!

2 Likes Save    
functionthenlook

Yea, the trampoline is probably against the rules, but that fence is pretty high. How are the kids sitting on it? Really you bought a house with a small yard with 3 houses looking down on you, I don't know what kind of privacy you expected in the first place.

4 Likes Save    
homechef59

First, get a survey done and have the surveyor mark the boundaries. Builders are famous for missing the property lines on the plat. Knowledge is power.

Second, if turns out that any of that upper backyard is yours, nicely contact the people above about installing thuja along the fence on your portion of the property. They get privacy, you get privacy. Then, let it grow. The other option is a fast growing vine.

Always buy on the top of the hill.

1 Like Save    
partim

Nothing that you plant or attach to that wall is going to make a difference to the noise. And I doubt that your HOA would approve anything that would even give you visual privacy, like adding something over the fence.

Save    
Patty O

I completely understand what you are dealing with. We had a very similar issue with a new build home we bought and immediately regretted. We felt like we were in a fish bowl with a large two story home looking down on us. We had a five foot retaining wall similar to yours topped by a 6-foot fence that belonged to our neighbors. We planted fast growing purple hopseed bush along the fence line and waited for it to grow. In the interim, we put up trellises that we weaved with vines. I'm sure that was an HOA violation, but our neighbors were luckily nice and did not complain. But there was no way we could block seeing the neighbors walking by their second story windows, so we lasted in that house 3 years before selling and finding our current house. We bought a fixer on the perfect wooded private lot. Several years later, I'm just now getting to renovating the kitchen and bathrooms and have really missed my shiny new build, but have no regrets on regaining my privacy!

4 Likes Save    
wacokid

Unfortunately it is your lot choice that is the problem. The trampoline could be removed and the kids will just do something else and you will be the "mean neighbor" after word gets around. You don't have enough space for trees to grow besides the mess in your pool. And with sharing a fence you won't be able to do anything with it. I feel for you. You have to be very careful when buying a home now with lots being so close. It's easy to look at only the house when buying and not what is around the house.

3 Likes Save    
Lourdes Horn

Thanks for all the comments. I found out from association that I can't attach any to fence. We offered to pay for a hedge on her side and she said no. However did find out association does not allow sports equipment whether temporary or permanent in yards. We have hired a landscaper to put in some trees across the back. Thanks for your help!

5 Likes Save    
latifolia

Put a trellis on the block part of the fence and plant fast-growing annual vines which will scamper up and cover the top. This can be done fairly cheaply.

To avoid lattice, or anything visible, use stainless steel screws and stainless wire. It is practically invisible and works well for twining vines.

Save    
printesa

You could add Thuja trees if that works for your area. We have them and they grew pretty fast and were not too expensive.

Another option would be to add the non-invasive kind of bamboo (clumping bamboo)

Dallington Terrace · More Info

2 Likes Save    
suezbell

Sympathy extended.

You might not be able to get HOA approval to plant trees, however, if you can, will poplar trees grow where you live? They grow as tall and fast as any I know.

Background music or "white noise" might help with noise.

Mini-blinds in the windows could help with visual privacy but can also result in your darkened home feeling like a cave -- bad mood vibe.

Annoying/obnoxious children likely will remain annoying/obnoxious for years to com -- and even if they aren't, the next batch could be even worse. Either accept that or seriously consider selling and relocating even if it means taking a loss.

Save    
suezbell

Another idea :

If there is a part of the back yard that is exclusively yours and since there is an objection to a "fence", ask about shrubs and see if you can grow a green fence -- holly bushes grow slowly but their pointy leaves would discourage neighbor children walking between them. Pyracantha bushes and rose bushes have thorns.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pyracantha+bushes&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjcru3r8dnnAhXHsFMKHRbmDQoQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=pyracantha+bushes&gs_l=img.1.0.0j0i24.4267.1952312..1956568...1.0..0.416.3223.34j3-1j1......0....1..gws-wiz-img.....0..0i131j0i67j0i8i30.u9UVgSbL8xE&ei=yTVLXpymJMfhzgKWzLdQ&bih=628&biw=1366#imgrc=8NXUMTpLiQaWqM

Poplar trees lose their leaves in winter but holly trees do not shed bare and neither do aucuba bushes == just FYI in case either would grow in your planting zone and HOA would approve.

Save    
Lourdes Horn

Thank you! I can plant trees per HOA rules and these are goodies. They need to be 13 ft. tall, so kind of expensive. How doesn't allow attachment to fence, but trees are ok. I may use the trellis idea that was given. I am trying to find a solution so I can sell. I have lived here for a year, but my dream home has turned into a nightmare! The neighbors have 4 boys, they climb over my fence and walk the fence line. They stand on the block wall, they jump on the trampoline right behind my fence line and use foul language and throw water at each other, they hang their jackets on the fence. Thank you again for the ideas. They were helpful.

1 Like Save    
calidesign

The fence is likely a shared fence, so you may not be able to attach anything to it. If the boys are climbing over it onto your side, talk to the parents or the HOA, as a safety issue. I would plant bamboo in your planters where you currently have the palms. They are confined planters, so you won't have issues with the bamboo spreading, but it grows tall very quickly and should give you some privacy as well as covering the block wall.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Lourdes Horn
A S

I’m looking at bamboo for blocking out our neighbour too! Needing to make sure I can contain it for sure.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Lourdes Horn
Katie B.

Very large, protective dog. He‘ll clear that fence right away.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Lourdes Horn
Donald

Kids grow up pretty quickly

Save    
printesa

Use clumping bamboo,,that one is not invasive and it does not spread

1 Like Save    
Snaggy

Glad HOAs are almost non-existent in the UK ..It would drive me spare ..being told what I can and can't do on my property !

Save    
katinparadise

A S, we have dwarf buddha bamboo. It's several years old and perfectly well contained.

1 Like Save    
printesa

Snaggy, I'm not a fan of HOAs either, but sometimes they are necessary..I live in one community that has an HOA and they've been a pain sometimes..They do keep in check the overall look of the community...

1 Like Save    
calidesign

HOA's can be great. In close quarters, like the community in this photo, the HOA can be very helpful for keeping loud music, barking dogs, etc. in check for everyone.

2 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Inspiring Gardens In Austin, a Backyard Wall Provides More Than Privacy
Designers solve a common privacy problem — and create some unexpected play — with a clever screening solution
Full Story
Privacy Screens Get Backyard Privacy the Subtler, Stylish Way
Why settle for a hulking brick wall when plants, screens and other refined backyard dividers do the job with panache?
Full Story
Landscape Design Innovative Deck Brings Privacy to a Narrow Chicago Backyard
The striking cedar structure creates an entertaining zone and breaks up an extra-long lot
Full Story