Wacky New Anti-Abortion Tactic Taking Off

dublinbay z6 (KS)

A new kind of "sanctuary city" is emerging in small towns in Texas and Florida--soon to sweep the nation?

I hope not. But here is what the Florida Santa Rosa County’s Board of Commissioners had to deal with the other day instead of attending to local county business.

--------------------------

"Dozens of local residents, many holding placards and pointing fingers, lined up to speak for and against a proposal to become the first “abortion sanctuary city” in Florida.

The wacky—and possibly unconstitutional—concept, which co-opts a label used by liberal cities that protect undocumented immigrants, has taken off in small, deeply conservative towns across Texas in the last six months.

Waskom, a Texas town of 2,000 people, was the first city in the U.S. to become a “sanctuary city for the unborn” after its all-male board voted unanimously last July. Eleven more Texas towns, mostly in the state’s east. . . .

The local ordinances vary in severity. Waskom’s outlaws abortion (which it called “murder with malice aforethought”), makes it unlawful to assist someone to get an abortion, and prevents Planned Parenthood and other reproductive services (which it calls “criminal organizations”) from operating within city limits. . . . Most are in towns with no abortion services anyway.

The movement has been pushed by Mark Lee Dickson, a pastor from Longview, Texas, who first proposed the idea to Waskom’s mayor and has since set up a website with printable petitions that people can submit to their local boards.

“I knew it was a crazy idea,” Dickson said. “Once it passed in Waskom, it was, ‘Well, what’s next?’ And it just made sense that if [abortion providers] aren’t going to come to Waskom now, they’re just going to go somewhere else, so we need to make sure other cities are safe as well.”

Dickson said he’d been contacted by people in Florida, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Arizona, and Indiana.

[. . .]

One of the county’s commissioners, Lane Lynchard, said he didn’t think it was right for a local board to wade into divisive national issues.

“It has accomplished nothing other than pitting people against one another,” he said on Thursday, adding that 80 percent of emails and messages he’d received on the issue were against it. “We can’t legislate people’s beliefs. I think we need to stick with governing the county.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/wacky-anti-abortion-tactic-taking-093645076.html

-----------------------------------

"Wacky" might be a polite word for what I'm thinking about these small towns where Planned Parenthood is never planning on coming outlawing Planned Parenthood ever setting step in their small town.

Some court seriously needs to nip this weed in the bud--before it spreads hither, thither, and yon!

Kate

SaveComment12Like3
Comments (12)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

To borrow from another recent thread that touches on the abortion issue: Fascism?

Save    
foodonastump

Stupid poster. Nobody that I’ve seen says they’re one. At issue is forcing a woman to have a baby, with her body.

3 Likes Save    
numbersjunkie

Most abortions are so early that there are no arms, legs, and often not even a beating heart.

30% of the children in this country live in poverty, but why is there no concern about that? I know many pro-life people who continuously post on FB about stray dogs and cats that need to be "rescued" and given loving homes. None of them ever post about the millions of children living in poverty with lack of food, healthcare, clean safe environments, or quality educational opportunities. Go figure.

7 Likes Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

“makes it unlawful to assist someone to get an abortion”

That is outside the purview of municipal government so that’s the point this law will fall on.

Save    
Joaniepoanie

Anti-choicers ——-“you must have that baby whether you want to or not.”

Mother of said baby——“OK, here’s the baby you forced me to have.”

Anti-choicers———-“see ya.”

5 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

And children in foster care?

Many wind up in foster care because of unfit, inadequate parenting, drug abuse, physical/ emotional abuse and neglect. They are wards of our government, public charges. How informed or even interested are these folks in the care and wellbeing of these kids? Do these folks even make the connection?

1 Like Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

If we are going to force a woman then it is time to start to force the male to pay. It takes two. If they are teens he gets to go to school and no after school activity. After school he must get a part time job. Federal Safety net put in place for care of the mother and child. Health, nourishment to insure she gives birth of a healthy baby.

After the baby is born the male upon graduation must get a full time job. He has responsibilities after all. I am sure all pro-life would agree a life needs care and they say they care about that life above all else. It takes two so two have to pay for the child, Little John, John life is about to change.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

And what if it's her stepdad, or mom's boyfriend - or another family member or neighbor? IOW, what if it's an abuser or rapist?

1 Like Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

Carol all that will be no problem because the moment rules are discussed of punishing the man they will abandon anti abortion laws. This is to punish the woman. Once they realize they and little John, John must be punished this will all end.

If they gave a rats behind about a child they would want food stamps flowing and the best medical available. They want to punish the woman for being a woman. Time to stop the perception that if there was no woman their would not be a baby and it i all her fault and she must suffer.

Save    
batyabeth

"80 percent of emails and messages he’d received on the issue were
against it. “We can’t legislate people’s beliefs. I think we need to
stick with governing the county.”

well said, county commissioner Lynchard.

I seem to remember a certain county official refusing to follow the Law of the Land and register couples who wanted marriage licenses, thereby declaring her county not beholden to the law if, as she claimed, it went against her religious dogma. How'd that work out? This is illegal, people.

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

So is harboring criminals--illegal aliens.

1 Like Save    
socks(10a)

Women who are denied abortions can leave their babes on Dickson’s doorstep. (Or any Waskom board member would do as well)

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular Get Organized: Take a 10-Day Simplification Challenge
Organizational expert Emily Ley helps us get a jump-start on our New Year’s clear-outs
Full Story
Most Popular Interior Design Trends Expected to Take Hold in 2018
Get the lowdown on the colors, materials and other design decisions gaining steam now
Full Story
Decorating Guides Design Debate: Is It OK to Hang the TV Over the Fireplace?
In the spirit of the upcoming political debates, we kick off a series of conversations on hotly contested design topics
Full Story