Seat reclining when flying is a hot topic

socks(10a)

Does reclining really make people doing it more comfortable? Do you feel the impact of a reclined seat in front of you?

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Last time I flew my seat was so close to the seat in front of mine it was not possible to reach anything under that seat with a passenger in place next to me. A reclined seat would not have added that much to the discomfort.

ETA: My discomfort is from the seat width rather than a lack of legroom. Some airline seats are <16" wide, and with broad shoulders I have to hunch my shoulders in to not crowd out my seatmates. That gets old after an hour or two, so being offset from others (i.e. if they recline, I don't) gives me a precious inch or two.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

My DH gets seriously annoyed when the person in front of him reclines their seat especially during meal service. He is tall with long legs and the reduction is seat space is very uncomfortable for him. The reclining thing just makes is worse.

He will fly economy on a 2 to 3 hour flight but anything more than that he wants business class or premium class. Of course being the good wife I am I wouldn't want him to sit alone so I join him : )

3 Likes Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

The reclined seat of the person in front of me bothers me no more than my wriggling, kicking toddler bothers them ;-D

2 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

I'm short, 5'2" and feel cramped. I can't imagine being 6' and having my knees crammed up against the seat in front of me for a few hours or more, then have the person in front of them recline seat. I don't usually even bother reclining, it's usually only a few inches anyway. I have seen tall people request the seat where the emergency exit door in in front of them, usually right behind the 1st class section.

1 Like Save    
Current Resident(z4 WI)

What "reclining"? Yeah, you can make the seat slightly less vertical but I wouldnt call that reclining.

1 Like Save    
maddie260

I don't always recline the seat, but when they make the seats to not recline, I will never do it. Until then..... my choice!

Save    
foodonastump

Yes it’s comfortable to recline. But for the person behind, it makes for a very cramped feeling even if it doesn’t actually cause the seat to hit their legs. I tend to avoid reclining my seat unless they’re asleep or otherwise lying back with their eyes closed. And my care to not bump the seat in front of me goes away if they recline.

5 Likes Save    
socks(10a)

Reclining does not make me one bit more comfortable. It’s not like you are Leaning back much; it’s nothing to me. Even if it did, I would not recline because it makes the person behind more miserable than I am sitting upright. If the person in front of me reclines, I say nothing but think bad thoughts. (“Have a nice nap selfish person.”)

Nana, what a wonderful wife you are, sacrificing for your husband that way.

2 Likes Save    
jlhug

For those of you that do recline, do you warn the person behind you that you are going to recline your seat back or do you just lean back with no warning?

i was traveling with my 10 month grandson when the person in front of me slammed their seat back smacking my grandson in the head. I hope that his screams right behind their head made them realize what they did but I don’t think so since they didn’t say I’m sorry or even look around. I went into passive aggressive mode and let him kick their seat for the rest of the flight.

3 Likes Save    
justerrilynn(10)

Years ago I had a horrible flying experience where the teens in front of me had their seats reclined and proceeded to bang and bounce against my knees for hours. I finally couldn’t take it anymore, crouched down in my seat for leverage, and with all my strength kicked the seat in front of me in an upright position. I didn’t feel or hear a peep for the rest of the trip.

I now do Lunesta on long flights and sleep through possible irritations : )

1 Like Save    
paprikash

I don’t recline and, in the past, have hated when the person in front of me reclined basically in my lap. Nowadays, we book our airline flights early enough and always get the first row. We normally travel without checked luggage so front row is always first on and first off for us.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
You Said It: Hot-Button Issues Fired Up the Comments This Week
Dust, window coverings, contemporary designs and more are inspiring lively conversations on Houzz
Full Story
Architecture Drop In on a Hot Comeback With a Sunken Living Room
Take the plunge into a new kind of practicality with an interior design feature that has a rich history
Full Story
Kitchen Design Hot Ideas and Tips for Coffee and Tea Stations
Let options like drawer inserts and built-in coffeemakers percolate now, so your hot-drinks station can best serve holiday guests
Full Story