Unconscious (Implicit) Bias

marquest(PA zone 6)

Lets talk....... IMO everyone has experienced a Bias at sometime in their life. I wonder if we know we are Bias or is it Unconscious.

This is a every day life activity that can hurt everyone.

HEALTH - Medical professional do not see past you are over weight and only treat you according to your size. The rash you have could be something serious but they give you a cream because they think it is just a fat roll irritation. (This is a true example of a friend. She had surgery and the doctor treated her differently for the swelling in the surgery area as not swelling but fat. Sent home and the incision bust open and the swelling was due to an infection)

EMPLOYMENT & Social Media - Unsurprisingly, unconscious bias threatens the Business. Most of the time, people are unaware that their unconscious bias is doing this. The danger of biases that people are unaware of fuel employment decisions such as hiring, promoting, firing, banning.

It goes on and on, Race, Political Affiliation, MAGA, Education etc.

What do you think? Whatn have you seen in your day to day interactions IYO is Implicit Bias?

SaveComment39Like
Comments (39)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foodonastump

I’m not aware that I have any unconscious biases.

3 Likes Save    
Wants to Grow

Hi marquest, Bias, while unconscious, isn't going to hurt anyone because you are ASLEEP.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Thanks WtG, I was starting to feel badly for starting off the thread like that.

1 Like Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

I had confirmation this afternoon of a very conscious bias regarding certain customers at fill-your-own-bottles filtered-water dispensers.

As far as possible unexamined biases -- I have the problem of overthinking most things, often to the point of inaction due to indecision.

1 Like Save    
Ann

Oh goodness, studies certainly show lots of bias in hiring. Looks, weight, height, etc..

I'm personally noticing occasional age bias, as a grandmother. Just the other day, I was at the gym in a fairly crowded small(ish) stretching area. A conversation came up about my city. A few people in close proximity kind of joined in and I did too. One young guy was really interested in my comment but another young couple ignored my comment. It was fine but I did assess/guess at what created the conversational dynamic and felt my age was likely the factor that led to that particular scenario.

1 Like Save    
Ann

Nancy, what kind of customer bias did you notice at the water dispensers? Just curious since you brought it up but didn't identify the particular bias you noticed.

Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

When I was in my early 20s I experienced the bias of medical professionals each time my kids needed a hospital visit (which was thankfully rare).

Nurses and doctors did and still do treat me like an “overreactive, frightened young mom.” On three occasions I’ve had to get quite firm, and on each occasion the repercussions to my kids would have been serious: pneumonia, whooping cough, and scarlet fever were all pooh-poohed with “s/he will be fine, it’s just a little cold.” Only after I firmly stated “I am not a scared new mom, this child is seriously ill or we wouldn’t be here and I insist that you run tests” was I taken seriously.

I don’t know what agenda a previous poster intimates from the OP, but knowing that biases exist means that we can stand up for ourselves more effectively. Because I knew those medical pros thought I was just a worried little mother, I knew exactly how to cut through that bias and get the help we needed.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

"I don’t know what agenda a previous poster intimates from the OP"

What does this mean. Lol, now I want to know what this means and about the water dispenser bias? I'm clearly finding the comments on this thread vague or confusing:)

Save    

(Ann, there is a comment gone that intimated the OP was parroting some kind of agenda)

Save    
Ann

Oh, okay. Now I'm just down to water dispenser confusion:)

Save    
mudhouse

I was thinking the other day about a bias I've experienced with some male doctors (not all, thankfully.) A few times I've questioned docs about particular side effects from particular medications prescribed only to women, and they've never heard of that side effect at all, reacting as if it was a strange idea, and extremely unlikely the side effect was at all related to the med.

Then I researched them online, and found many reports from other women reporting the same exact side effect from those particular medications.

I couldn't help but feel that the male doctors interpreted my question as coming from an overly emotional or overly imaginative woman, making stuff up. I don't know if female patients really do that more often than male patients (maybe?) but it annoyed the heck out of me, and I suspect there's a bias there.

Now I have a bias against male doctors IF I detect a vibe that they think my concerns are silly or unimportant. I'm ready to get in their face about it, especially if we're talking about a med that relates to a woman's health issue.

(Revenge bias?)

But I guess not an unconscious bias, since I'm aware of it.

2 Likes Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

foodonastump, I asked if you have seen it not necessarily if it has happened to you. We can always see other wrong doings. We on the other hand are purrrfect.

Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,maifleur,others(8a)

(Ann, there is a comment gone that intimated the OP was parroting some kind of agenda)

------------------

TY Miss, I am glad I missed that conscious bias comment.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

My friend told me a story about her FIL who was quite wealthy, owned a lot of land and always wore farm clothes. He went to the Cadillac dealer and when the salesman greeted him he said he wanted to purchase a car and pay cash. The salesman laughed at him. He turned around walked out and went to another dealer.

3 Likes Save    

Mudhouse that has happened to me too and it’s infuriating. I had a male doc tell me “it’s impossible that you can feel your iud.” Ok man, you know best. I guess this brand new sensation in my uterus is entirely unrelated to the piece of metal you put in it last week.

Kathy that puts me in mind of a song lyric: “never judge a man by his clothes, son, never judge a man by his clothes/you got to look through the dirt and lord judge him by his worth so don’t you never judge a man by his clothes” (Corb Lund)

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

I believe I have been treated with bias on this forum by many. How about that.

3 Likes Save    

I have too queenmargo. Fortunately here we have the opportunity to face it and “talk it out” in a way the rarely exists in real life.

Save    
cattyles

I can only think of one, Margo.

Save    
queenmargo

I don't think we actually "talk it out" tho miss lindsey.

Save    
queenmargo

I can only think of one, Margo.

You can only think of one what cattyles? One that has treated you with bias? You surely don't mean me, do you? That would mean you could actually feel what I feel.

Save    
cattyles

Or it could mean that I’m able to observe bias and express my opinion.

Bias doesn’t always manifest as a bad thing for everyone.

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Oh, I get where you are going with this bias thing cattyles, lol.

I would beg to differ on that one.

Save    
cattyles

Bias is disproportionate weight in favor of or against an idea or thing, usually in a way that is closed-minded, prejudicial, or unfair. Biases can be innate or learned. People may develop biases for or against an individual, a group, or a belief.[1] In science and engineering, a bias is a systematic error. Statistical bias results from an unfair sampling of a population, or from an estimation process that does not give accurate results on average.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bias

The wiki page is interesting.

1 Like Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

Everyone has them; everyone experiences them. Some have serious consequences, but others are pretty harmless.

I have a bias against men with crew cuts, for example. Looking at someone with one makes me cringe and I mark the wearer down in various categories just for making that haircut choice. Jon Tester would have been at a disadvantage for getting my vote. But awareness allows me the option to override those feelings and act differently.

A high degree of self reflection and honesty within one's own brain can bring about awareness of various bias. A lot of people seem to prefer to lie even to themselves. Or maybe it is especially to themselves.

6 Likes Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

I am on the receiving end of a fair amount of positive bias. I tend to be taken seriously.

I have a pretty good handle on my negative biases and can hold myself in check. I have a few positive biases toward some groups and frankly, that is not always a good thing either. My negative biases are not racist, or sexist, or ethnic in nature, but more about how people present themselves. I have become far more open minded through increased positive interactions with the people I sometimes prejudge unfairly.

As for the medical problems some of you have described, I would be incandescent with rage.

4 Likes Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

Women and health is one of the worst implicit Bias. The best thing a woman can do for her longevity is to find a doctor that understand women and care to give a woman the best medical care. For me it has never been a woman. I seem to have only found male doctors that have been good with women and their health. My medical care is a family practice that I started with the father, son and uncle. The father has since died but the son and uncle both young so hopefully I will not have to search again.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

gyr - I was trying to write a post like yours last night but failed. I’ve found it’s helpful to become aware of ones own biases so that you can keep them appropriately in check, and by doing so in time they can start to go away. Recognize it, change it from an unconscious bias to a conscious bias, and take it from there. If you think you don’t have them, you just haven’t gotten to step one yet.

It goes hand in hand with stereotyping. When someone says they see everyone the same and make no initial judgments based on looks, my thought is that they’re incredibly unaware, either of themselves or of their surroundings. Or perhaps just uncomfortable admitting it.

5 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I've had a decades long bias and I hold it in good standing. I don't care what anyone else says.

I hate liver.

I also won't eat mussels, clams, oysters or snails.

And forget about picked pigs feet.

There! I've admitted it... deal with it!

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

That sounds kosher!

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

OT - Although I believe it’s only occurred once here thus far, the incorrect use of the word bias is very common so I thought I’d point it out. Not trying to pick on anyone, promise!

noun: I have a bias.

adj: I have a biased opinion.

adv: My opinion is biased.

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Yes, please note the "ed" on the end of "bias" when it is a modifier. That misspelling has been bugging me. I guess some people do not actually hear the second syllable: bai-uhst .

Thank you, food.

Kate

Save    
haydayhayday

"adv: My opinion is biased."

Perhaps your opinion is the thing that is biased? You could have just as well have said, "I have a biased opinion".

I do have a bit of a bias about people who think that if there's an verb in there, the only logical thing that can follow is an adverb.

"I feel Goodly"----James Brown.

Hay

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Oops I think you may be right. Thanks!

1 Like Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

As the OP I do not have a problem of going off topic or even correction of a word, phrase etc. IMO it is helpful to get to a Bias and have the confidence within yourself to correct it if you first understand the language you speak.

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

According to Freud, all sorts of attitudes (including biases) are buried in our Unconscious--which means we are not aware of them, but they are there and influencing our responses to what is going on around us.

In fact, Freud would have said that much of our motivations are unconscious. Most people settle for skimming along on the upper surface called our Consciousness.

Kate

ETA: Please note spelling--"conscious," NOT "conscience"

1 Like Save    
haydayhayday

FOAS:

"Thanks WtG, I was starting to feel badly for starting off the thread like that."

I was just now rereading this thread and this comment of yours popped out at me. My mind must have passed over it the first time around.

I hope you've learned.

Now you know.

If you still feel badly, maybe time to see a neurologist?

Or play James Brown over and over and over until it finally jells in your brain?

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

We have no such thing as "free will" to begin with.

Conscious or unconscious.

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

We likely evolved from mud-dwelling little creatures. Most likely with very little thinking abilities and surviving mostly on "Unconscious (Implicit) Bias"

In those simpler times it likely served us well. For some of our reactions it probably serves us well even now. I trust my first "impressions" of people. Seeing someone just walking down the street toward me , I'd bet my "first impression " of them is most often quite accurate.

The dumb ones really look dumb to me. A welcoming look actually is welcoming. Anger sticks out like, "Get away from ME!"

I do have a RBF unfortunately that confuses people. Then I start talking and all that vanishes immediately.

Hay

Save    
elvis

I wonder if we know we are Bias or is it Unconscious.

Huh? How could a person be a "bias"? Why are "bias" and "unconscious" capitalized? Trick question?

ETA: Now that I've read the whole thread, I see the problem, never mind.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular Houzz Tour: Hugging the Rocky Cliffs in Big Sur
Cascading down a rugged site and generously encased in glass, this California home takes full advantage of its ocean views
Full Story
Features Can Tidying Up Result in Life-Changing Magic?
Organizing phenom Marie Kondo promises big results — if you embrace enormous changes and tough choices
Full Story
Architecture New Report Shines Light on Gender Gaps in Architecture
The latest survey from architecture group Equity by Design highlights industry progress and pain points for women
Full Story