No need to hide mob boss status any more...

Annie Deighnaugh

Donald Trump has levied plenty of complaints about officials in his administration, but yesterday, the president used a specific word that seemed new.
Trump made his latest comments Thursday in a podcast interview with Fox News host Geraldo Rivera, who characterized the vibe in the West Wing being "a nest of vipers and snitches and backstabbers and rats."

Three of those nouns were familiar. The reference to White House "snitches" was not....

Or put another way, Trump's presidency appears to have entered its "stop snitching" phase in a rather literal way.

Steve Benen, MSNBC

It also suggests to me that trump is getting increasingly paranoid and unstable...I think it's a feedback loop...

SaveComment46Like3
Comments (46)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Things are definitely amping up. Seems our president is feeling even more unleashed than usual...

Save    
Chi

He also openly admitted in the same interview that he sent Giuliani to Ukraine to hunt for dirt on Biden, going against one of the central claims of his impeachment defense when he said he did not direct Giuliani's efforts.

Keep talking, Trump. Keep letting the American people know what a liar you are. He's feeling bold after being acquitted but there's still an election coming up.

3 Likes Save    
linaria_gw(zone 7 (about))

really classy

and straight out of the dictator`s handbook: dehumanize them, then it is less iffy if you go after those persons/ ethnic groups/ dissidents

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Wait...trump knows the west wing is full of people he hired, who supported him enough to want to work for him, right? At least until perhaps they got a look see at the way the man actually operates....

When loyal supporter after loyal supporter turns on you, it would behoove to ask if *you* are the problem...

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Is that the same call where he said he might put a stop to aides listening in on calls? Good idea, that one, if they don’t hear it they can’t report it and he won’t have to lose sleep on those pesky impeachment hearings. Better to keep his indiscretions quiet.

1 Like Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

So what bothers me about the whole whistle blower thing is, it doesn't matter if someone tells on him, what matters is he does wrong stuff that came to light. Why do they care who said it, but still back the man when he's screwing everyone over? Oy. Priorities aren't right.

10 Likes Save    
margaritadina

''Trump made his latest comments Thursday in a podcast interview
with Fox News host Geraldo Rivera, who characterized the vibe in the
West Wing being "a nest of vipers and snitches and backstabbers and
rats."

Three of those nouns were familiar. The reference to White House "snitches" was not....

''

Mind posting a video where Trump says it?

I just listened to Geraldo, and this is his words:
"a nest of vipers and snitches and backstabbers and
rats."

Save    
foodonastump

Garbage president creates garbage news. On a daily basis.

6 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

There’s a reason aides listen in on his calls—to protect HIM and for national security. Of course, thick as a brick just wants to operate like a mob boss and keep his threats, etc. secret. National security is a joke—-good luck to us.

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

I seriously question what some people call "national security".

Save    
socks(10a)

Is it just me, or does this read like Geraldo said it.....?

Trump made his latest comments Thursday in a podcast interview with Fox News host Geraldo Rivera, who characterized the vibe in the West Wing being "a nest of vipers and snitches and backstabbers and rats."

He's out of control now.

1 Like Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

Geraldo did say it.

It was in the context of Trump explaining the Vindmans’ firing.

2 Likes Save    
cyn427 NoVaZone7

Yes, that sentence does seem to say the words were Geraldo's (the word 'who' connects the following phrase to him). At least that was how I read it.

Also, aides and others listen to calls to protect the country first, not the individual holder of the presidential office

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

I’m listening. Entirely Geraldo.

Save    

**edited to remove off-topic post, will repost on correct thread**

Save    
Embothrium(Sunset Climate Zone 5, USDA Hardiness Zone 8)

Trump showed who he was decades ago. As a malignant narcissist keeping his subordinates at a constant disadvantage is standard operating procedure.

4 Likes Save    
socks(10a)

Even before he was nominated, his party asked him to become “more presidential.” His behavior was disgusting even then. But they nominated him anyway. What a nightmare. We never hear a peep from Ryan.

Why would Geraldo say that? Pandering to the narcissist? Feeding trump’s insecurities?

2 Likes Save    
margaritadina

''

miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,maifleur,others(8a)

Geraldo did say it.

It was in the context of Trump explaining the Vindmans’ firing.

''

Yes, GERALDO did say it. The name of the thread is ''

No need to hide mob boss status any more...''

Who is the the mob boss, GERALDO ?

If Trump said it, the video of him saying it must be posted.

We already had a thread about Trump wanting to be a dictator. I am sure you remember it.

Annie, video, please, to confirm the title of your thread and the content of your first post.

Save    
Chi

In Annie's defense, MSNBC had the wrong quote and has since corrected it. It appears when she posted it, it was attributed to Trump.

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/trump-should-avoid-echoing-language-organized-crime-n1136971

Save    
margaritadina

I read this article, Chi, thank you for posting.

''host Geraldo Rivera, who characterized" has nothing to with with what Trump said at this point. This is from Annie's first post, the original article:

''Trump made his latest comments Thursday in a podcast interview
with Fox News host Geraldo Rivera, who characterized the vibe in the
West Wing being "a nest of vipers and snitches and backstabbers and
rats."

There is no indication in the original article that Trump's used any of the epithets assigned to him by Annie.

ALL of the epithets are Geraldo's choice. And this is the video of it:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/geraldo-rivera-donald-trump-backstabbers-rats-snitches_n_5d9c544ce4b0fc935ee03cfa

Annie, you need to post a video proof of Trump using ''mob boss'' language. All that you listed - vipers, snitches, rats. And if it doesn't exist, you need to explain why you chose to freely interpret the article.

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

For those hard of reading, I’ll repeat what Chi said. In bold, since some think the emphasis is helpful.

In Annie's defense, MSNBC had the wrong quote and has since corrected it.

5 Likes Save    

Annie doesn’t need to do anything.

It’s been corrected sufficiently (in my opinion).

3 Likes Save    
Chi

Agreed. Annie is not responsible for an error on MSNBC, and it's been addressed and corrected here.

1 Like Save    
barncatz

Just hopped on and I understand that Geraldo R. described the West Wing as being a place where you wouldn't want to take your daughter on "Take Your Daughter to Work Day".

Oh, wait....

Save    
Chi

Annie posted what was on MSNBC, and in between the time she posted and now, MSNBC has corrected their article. She did not lie. It is not her responsibility to fact-check mainstream media articles before posting.

If you have an issue with MSNBC making errors, take it up with them.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

We’re here to help, MD. When a reputable news organization makes correction to substantive details in an article, they note the correction. So let’s look at the article...

...wouldn’t you know, lookie here:

She lied.

I believe an apology is in order. Not only did you flat out say she lied, you accused her of intentionally changing text that she presented as a direct quote. The latter is actually worse as it would indicate an intentional alteration of the facts.

~~~~

ETA - The post I’m responding to has wisely been removed, but I’ll leave this in case anyone else is questioning Annie’s integrity.

5 Likes Save    
lurker111

That's what happens when one rushes to post every bit of propaganda they can find. MSNBC has made a fool out of everyone who repeats their garbage.

2 Likes Save    
Chi

Yet I don't think a single person found it hard to believe!

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Yes MSNBC has issued a correction, and the OP was confusing in that it did say both that the president said it, but then attributed it to geraldo. The fact is it was geraldo who said "snitches". But that doesn't change the fact that trump had an opportunity to disagree with geraldo on his description of the west wing and trump didn't. Moreover, what geraldo said is consistent with what the president has said in the past about cohen being a rat and his desire to make it illegal for people to flip in favor of the prosecution.

What I find interesting though is the hammering on an article with an incorrect statement that is later corrected by the same people who seem to have no trouble with 16,000+ lies told by the president some of which they repeat regularly ... or who buy the lies that fox tells them on a daily basis without holding them to any account.

I'm not defending the misstatement. I wish they hadn't made the mistake and I'm sorry I helped broadcast something that was wrong and confusing. But I do wish that the same razor of truthfulness that is applied to me and what I post was also applied by the same people to our president and fox and what they have to say...especially since what they say reaches millions more people than any little post I make here.

6 Likes Save    
queenmargo

That's what happens when one rushes to post every bit of propaganda they can find. MSNBC has made a fool out of everyone who repeats their garbage

Chi

Yet I don't think a single person found it hard to believe!

That is the point Chi- those who hate Trump have no hard time believing ANYTHING negative about him. That is why this FAKE news reporting has become so popular. Lie now, and apologize later. The damage has been done. No one cares about integrity of a story or a post anymore. Just quick headlines, be the first to report even if it is a lie.

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

No one cares about integrity of a story or a post anymore.

Not true. I care.

3 Likes Save    
petalique

Trump has spoken in that vein and mobster style many times. (He called his former lawyer a “rat.”) He speaks and behaves like a thug and thus has created this signature demeanor. He is evaluated on his behavior. He is not a “victim” of offended citizens “hating” him.

I heard a part of that interview. Trump was doing a lot of sniffing, near wheezing. Often his nose is very wet looking. Is he alright?

1 Like Save    
petalique

No one cares about integrity of a story or a post anymore.

I sure do. (What a blanket statement.) I find it difficult to endure hearing fox and dips and certain RW media and blathering heads because they regularly lie and distort.

You don’t mind Mr. Trump’s lack of integrity?

Save    
Chi

Let's not pretend that only one side is quick to post attention-seeking headlines.

I have definitely seen incorrect information published from the right but without the correction and apology that Annie graciously offered.

Photoshopped pictures of Biden with crying young women come to mind.

7 Likes Save    
how2girl

Geraldo’s just another proxy Trump mouthpiece so he might as well have said it. Message delivered, mission accomplished.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Chi, the same thing on the recent thread that klobuchar says trump supporters fail the patriotism check when she said no such thing. That was a lie.

5 Likes Save    

Hmmm - rather than latch on to critique of a single word or sentence, how about examining the ramifications of what else was discussed in that interview?

Vanity Fair had some points about that:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/02/trump-just-comes-out-and-admits-to-entire-ukraine-scam-rudy-giuliani

And sometimes I wonder about people asking for links as if they were not already on the internet and presumably able to type, search, and read & view things for themselves. Are they captive inside some siloed information bubble or something, or do they really not know how to do a web search, or are they just being lazy, or is it disingenuous?

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Bravo, Annie! Great defense and a grand apology (although it was MSNBC that made the error, not Annie.)

As for people asking for links, they might have different motives, depending on the asker.

I sometimes ask because responsible posters indicate their sources--and I assume that those who don't are being very careless or even irresponsible. Knowing the source of a post can be very informative for the reader. Another good reason for indicating the source of a story is that the reader may want to consult your source in order to learn more about the story or perhaps to see if you omitted some key information or accurately transmitted the source--among other reasons.

If some posters don't know how to copy-and-paste source addresses, they can still at least indicate something like--"According to the NYTimes" or, even better, "According to a very recent issue of the NYTimes" or "According to the NYTimes (2-10-20). " That at least saves me the trouble of bringing up six sources in order to find out which was used.

Strictly speaking, copy-and-pasting an article without indicating that the article is copy-and-pasted implies that you (generic) are passing the article off as your own work--you (generic) are plagiarizing, in other words. The NYTimes isn't probably going to sue an anonymous "nobody" on a small HT gardenweb forum for plagiarizing its articles, but it is only HONEST to admit openly that those words are not your (generic) words, but words published in whatever your source was.

OK--lecture for the month is over. Sorry, folks. : (

Kate

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Annie Deighnaugh
Joaniepoanie

Trump lies constantly, never apologizes, and doesn’t give a rat’s behind about the damage he leaves in his wake. So, how about we start there, Trumpers, if you’re so concerned about truth and lies and the damage being done?

Those who love Trump believe every word he says without ever questioning or verifying. When his lies are proven, they never apologize or admit they are wrong.

1 Like Save    
Embothrium(Sunset Climate Zone 5, USDA Hardiness Zone 8)

As he said in his book Trump identifies target audiences and then tells them what they want to hear.

2 Likes Save    
petalique

2 Likes Save    
zmith

H.L. Mencken has some great quotes! Here’s another that applies these days:

1 Like Save    

FWIW, when I want to find an unnamed source for what appears to be copy/pasted comments, I copy a whole section of the text that seems unique and paste it into my search engine of choice in quotation marks. That usually will bring up the source, and BTW, for rightist, conservative articles, I've noticed the exact same article often may be found at a number of different sources verbatim. There's a pretty extensive network for such things, as many here are aware. As well as many seemingly unrelated conservative 'news' & opinion websites that are actually clandestinely run/financed by the same people or groups.

Also FWIW, I do not automatically presume that someone is trying to appropriate others' words without attribution. I think some people just don't realize, or simply do not care that it is bad etiquette.

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

BTW, for rightist, conservative articles, I've noticed the exact same article often may be found at a number of different sources verbatim.

Exactly!

The right-wing noise machine at work.

Save    
foodonastump

I find it extremely rare that I question whether someone is posting from their own voice or quoting another source. At minimum quoting is indicated with quotation marks or more commonly, italics.

Yes we can generally find the source by copying and pasting an excerpt into the search bar, but that shouldn’t be needed. If you’re quoting someone’s work, the least you can do it give attribution in the form of a link.

In general I’d assume that omitting the link is an oversight. That said, we have one poster that I’ve noticed occasionally goes out of her way to partially obscure the source of some material. I don’t know what purpose that serves.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Exactly!

The right-wing noise machine at work.

Actually it’s also the result of news sharing organizations like AP.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Styles More Is More: The 10 Tenets of Maximalist Style
Ready to join the school of over-the-top design? Learn how to embrace excess in your interiors
Full Story
Decorating Guides New Strategies for Hiding the TV
Its easy to be discreet when you've got cabinets, panels and high-tech TV hiders like these
Full Story
Home Innovations Natural Swimming Pools: More Beauty, No Chemicals
Keep your skin and the environment healthy with a pool that cleans itself, naturally
Full Story