DOJ drops criminal investigation into McCabe

Nana H

...and rightly so. I hope he sues the Administration for wrongful dismissal and has his pension reinstated.

SaveComment44Like7
Comments (44)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

Yeah!

Save    
dandyfopp

Sassy Billy.

This is gonna make Donnie mad.

Now give the man his pension.

4 Likes Save    
bfox254

No surprise here, just like what happened to Hillary. Drag someone's name and reputation through the mud for political purposes. Then the investigations reveals nothing. Biden is the new target. You can be sure the "investigations" into the Ukraine allegations will also turn up nothing.

3 Likes Save    
foodonastump

To be fair, “nothing” is subjective. Are you ready to concede that Russia Russia Russia essentially revealed nothing?

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

This is what it adds up to:

"just like what happened to Hillary. Drag someone's name and reputation through the mud for political purposes. Then the investigations reveal nothing."

Kate

Save    
Tito Milian

Worst dictatorship EVER!

3 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

But Russia Russia did reveal something, at least new information to the wider public that Russia did interfere in our electoral process and were continuing to do so. The trump campaign did in fact get help from Russia but it was not proven in the cursory investigation that was allowed to be done that they knew they were getting illegal help. And so on, and all those cases of obstruction. On the other hand in the case of Hillary Clinton there was actually nothing.

1 Like Save    
bfox254

Quite a few people went to jail or are awaiting sentencing as a result of the Russia, Russia, Russia investigation.

3 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"The trump campaign did in fact get help from Russia but it was not proven in the cursory investigation that was allowed to be done that they knew they were getting illegal help."

What "cursory" investigation are you referring to? The two year long Mueller investigation? If so, what "help" did the Trump campaign get from Russia?

If not the Mueller investigation, what are you talking about? The Durham investigation continues, with one focus being the CIA.

Save    
soupgirl53

Looks like the revenge tour is coming to a screeching halt.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

ADH, an investigation is defacto "cursory" when the person at the center of the investigation is not questioned. Trump was never interrogated. This is similar to the more recent Impeachment where Trump ordered his administration to not answer any questions let alone answered questions himself rendering the investigation "cursory" though not for lack of trying on the part of the house. The less said about the GOP controlled Senate the better.

3 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

what help did Trump get from Russia? a massive disinformation campaign, for starters

1 Like Save    
adoptedbyhounds

That would make every investigation in which the “center” is not questioned merely cursory. Good to know. I wasn’t aware of that.

Save    
Save    
cattyles

Good for McCabe. I hope he and his family enjoy some peace.

1 Like Save    
chipotle

Ziemia, amazing how those voices now offer dead silence.

2 Likes Save    
catspa_zone9sunset14

Worst dictatorship EVER!

Not for lack of trying.

6 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

So how many phony investigations does this make that the gop have supporters believing in that turn out to be nothing? Too many to count I'm sure. But off the top of my head:

• obama spying on trump campaign
  • hillary emails
  • fbi mishandling of hillary email investigation
  • fbi and doj bias against trump during the campaign
  • benghazi...that was 33 hearings
  • ukraine election interference
  • voter fraud
  • and now mccabe

You'd think they'd catch on after awhile....

5 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Wasn't the investigation into McCabe's behavior supposed to blow the cover off the Mueller investigation or something.

I'm pretty sure that I read that here at Hot Topics.

File along with "Trump has tapes of his conversations with Comey."

6 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Annie you forgot to add to the list the ultra hyped up "Uranium One"... soooooo scary right Hanninnie?

...and the historic whitewater, filegate, travelgate,..... all balonie gates.

5 Likes Save    
cattyles

And folks wonder why there is no more patience for conspiracy theories and disinformation? It’s lying for a brief “win”. What happened to integrity?

3 Likes Save    
Ann

"The Durham investigation continues, with one focus being the CIA."

Yup, and I don't think it will be a nothing burger. But, I'll patiently wait while the investigation concludes.

2 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

They've only dropped the investigation arising from Horowitz's 2018 referral.

This has nothing to do with Durham's investigation which is still ongoing.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

We do have this from durham:

1 Like Save    
numbersjunkie

I've seen some stories that suggest Durham's investigation is struggling. As Trump likes to say - "We'll see what happens"

Save    
maddie260

Well, there go the claims about the supposed big, bad Deep State! Now it's just all about announcing and threatening investigations to get through the 2020 campaign.

Save    
Nana H

I usually have faith that special investigators do their work in an independent and fair manner however, I have absolutely no faith in the Durham investigation. Barr wants a certain outcome and he will get it. No doubt the report will be released about the time the Democratic nominee is decided or shortly thereafter. Barr will have no hesitancy in releasing during the heat of the election, after all that's the point.

The DOJ and the State Department are being destroyed from within by their own leaders. I feel for those dedicated career officials who have dedicated thier lives to working for the American people, they deserve better than this.

7 Likes Save    
Ann

Numbers, do you have any links? I would like to read more about the Durham investigation but, like with the Mueller investigation, little to nothing is coming out. So, I'd be interested in seeing the stories about the "struggling" you mentioned.

1 Like Save    
ohiomom

Thanks for the link Ziemia

1 Like Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"Wasn't the investigation into McCabe's behavior supposed to blow the cover off the Mueller investigation or something."

I thought investigations were a process. Bits of information from one source lead to questioning of other sources, and so on. There can be benefits to individuals who provide useful information to investigators. Their bad acts can be forgiven in pursuit of bigger fish. We'll have to wait and see what led to DOJ dropping the investigation of McCabe.

Did DOJ dropping criminal case against McCable apply to the DOJ investigation being done by John Durham? The scope of that investigation is much broader than that of the IG.

1 Like Save    
Ann

ABH, you seem to be having some of the same thoughts as my husband. He's in that same "wait and see what led to" camp.

2 Likes Save    
chipotle

This is how democracy dies — in full view of a public that couldn’t care less.

4 Likes Save    
numbersjunkie

"I thought investigations were a process. Bits of information from one source lead to questioning of other sources, and so on."

What a hoot! Was that also supposed to apply to the Mueller investigation or the impeachment investigation, both of which were widely criticized for taking so long? Both did ultimately produce damming evidence despite the refusal to provide documents and the blocking of witness testimony.

But the IG report was a dud, the McCabe prosecution was a dud, and now the Durham investigation appears to be following suit. As I said, "We'll have to see what happens."

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

No idea how the Mueller investigation was conducted. Neither does Mueller, as we learned from his Embarrassing TV appearance.

Having read License to Lie by Sidney Powell, (Michel Flynn’s Attorney) I have some understanding about how the process can be corrupted. I also understand how easily one can overestimate how much one really knows about what is reported in the news. I don’t know enough to jump to conclusions about what the DOS /McCabe announcement means.

1 Like Save    
barncatz

The only corruption in the McCabe case was that it was brought and continued without evidence and at Trump's orders, obviously.

The Justice Department's decision [ to drop the case] came the same day it was required by a judge to make details about the McCabe investigation public in a case stemming from a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit brought by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington....

The court transcripts, released after the Justice Department's letter to McCabe's lawyers, show prosecutors struggling with how to proceed in his case, and the judge in the matter expressing concerns about political pressure....

The Judge noted at a hearing on Sept 30th:

...Because the public is listening to what's going on, and I don't think people like the fact that you got somebody at the top basically trying to dictate whether somebody should be prosecuted," Walton said. "I just think it's a banana republic when we go down that road, and we have those type of statements being made that are conceivably, even if not, influencing the ultimate decision. I think there are a lot of people on the outside who perceive that there is undue inappropriate pressure being brought to bear."

"It's very disturbing that we're in the mess that we're in in that regard," Walton added later. "Because I think having been a part of the prosecution for a long time and respecting the role that prosecutors play in the system. I just think the integrity of the process is being unduly undermined by inappropriate comments and actions on the part of people at the top of our government. I think it's very unfortunate. And I think as a government and as a society, we're going to pay a price at some point for this."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/justice-department-drops-leak-case-against-former-fbi-acting-head-n1137066

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"The only corruption in the McCabe case was that it was brought and continued without evidence and at Trump's orders, obviously."

Oh Dear.

It's best to do your own homework. Relying on people who don't do theirs is no substitute for doing your own work.

The above claim that the "McCabe case was brought and continued with no evidence and at Trump's orders, obviously" is neither true nor is it evidence.

It is not difficult to locate the facts, should anyone want to learn who referred Mr. McCabe for possible prosecution.

Save    
Nana H

Although it is true that Horowitz referred the incident to the DOJ for review he made no judgement in the matter.

It was entirely up to the DOJ under the control of Rosenstein and then Barr. For such a trivial matter to take two years to investigate is inexcusable, as the judge rightly says.

4 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Trump puts a "Joe Friday" like civil servant through 2 years of bogus hell and yet he complains about how badly his real criminal pals are treated? magabs

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

The whole agenda is to cast aspersions on Democrats and drag it out until the election and distract from Trump’s illegal actions.

Save    
barncatz

ABH, please don't scold me about not doing my homework in legal matters nor on what constitutes "evidence", and how to weigh the sufficiency thereof.

You want truth - stop listening to Trump sycophants. The DOJ is in crisis thanks to Trump and his revenge mob definition of justice.

You want truth? Go back and read the Judge's comments about banana republic. They are EXTRAORDINARY coming from the Federal bench!!

9/13/19

The possibility of a criminal case against McCabe has smelled bad for a while. As one of us has spelled out in detail, this is not the kind of case that normally ends up as a criminal matter. While the Justice Department inspector general report that led to McCabe’s dismissal from the bureau is sharply critical of his conduct, indictments for false statements in internal Justice Department investigations, without some exacerbating factor, are exceedingly rare. This sort of misconduct is normally handled in internal disciplinary proceedings—and McCabe was already fired. Indeed, there’s nothing about the inspector general’s findings about McCabe that seem to make his case a likely candidate for a criminal disposition. What makes McCabe’s situation distinctive, rather, is the public campaign against him by the president of the United States, who has tweeted and spoken repeatedly about McCabe and publicly called for his prosecution....

Without saying a word in defense of McCabe’s conduct—which, if accurately described by the inspector general, is condemnable—there are good reasons to be anxious about a case that both seems far from the sort normally prosecuted and involves someone the president has singled out for persecution. There have also long been reasons to doubt the strength of the case, not the least of which is that two of the prosecutors who supervised it have dropped off the matter....

https://www.lawfareblog.com/mystery-mccabe-grand-jury

5 Likes Save    
Ann

My gosh, the DOJ crisis was the partisan swamp they were building and then swimming in. That ugly murky water desperately needed and, likely, still needs some serious cleaning out!

2 Likes Save    
bfox254

Ann, you do realize that most of the DOJ investigations were of republicans and by republicans, right? Trump has filled the swamp to overflowing. How many of his cronies have been indicted?

2 Likes Save    
Ann

Yeah, yeah, yeah - all those "republicans" who were in the tank for Hillary and despised the Republican nominee. That's like me saying I'm Unaffiliated, which is the way I'm registered.

Save    
bfox254

There are lots and lots of republicans who despised the republican nominee. That doesn't make them any less republican and it certainly doesn't make them swampy. Does it make them less republican because they're not willing to turn a blind eye to things that seem shady or possibly illegal in this administration?

How many current republicans in congress were highly critical of Trump prior to the election? A lot. They didn't all of a sudden grow to respect the guy, they still hate him. They just shut up after the election to keep their jobs and to push their agenda since Trump is so easily swayed. He's their useful idiot. Does that make them swampy too?

You've got republicans tearing down other republicans because they dare to criticize Trump. You think the democratic party is a mess? I don't know how the republican party survives in it's current form post-Trump.

4 Likes Save