Excellent and terrifying at the same time.

chipotle

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/with-the-rule-of-law-failing-under-trump-just-diagnosing-the-problem-isn-t-enough-78691397989?cid=sm_tw_maddow

With the rule of law failing under Trump, just diagnosing the problem isn't enough. Rachel Maddow looks at the importance of institutions in preserving democracy when the rule of law starts to fail, and asks what citizens should do when sounding the alarm about those failures isn't enough to stop them.

SaveComment18Like4
Comments (18)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
margaritadina

Name one (or many) rule of law that failed.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Charging the SS for room and board. At rates above cost.

8 Likes Save    
soupgirl53

The majority of the Senate acquitting Trump when presented with overwhelming evidence he broke the law because their reelections mattered more.

11 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

^^^...and refused to call up Bolton as a witness, all the whining about the senate not having to do the House's job was cowardly, the gop senate failed miserably in doing their job.

10 Likes Save    
sushipup1

(I still see my comment.)

Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Posts and Threads too

3 Likes Save    
cyn427 NoVaZone7

Try googling that, margaritadina.

3 Likes Save    
sushipup1
4 Likes Save    
leona_2008

I saw this last night. Yes, it is both excellent and terrifying.

1 Like Save    
leona_2008

Tim Snyder will be on with Rachel in a couple of minutes.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I got home late and missed it but recorded it. Prof Snyder knows of what he speaks.

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

The rule of law is that no man is above the law....until trump. He is now not only unindictable until after he leaves office at best...if he ever leaves...but his attorneys have argued that he can't even be investigated. And now that the senate has refused to even hold a fair trial, there is now no check or balance on him as president. Some argue there is at the ballot box, but not when he's clearly demonstrated a willingness to break federal finance laws by asking for help in rigging the election, even from foreign governments...and he's willing to pervert US foreign policy and break the impoundment act laws to achieve those ends. Certainly the senate is not holding him accountable.

The only laws that make a difference are those you can enforce...and trump is now in the position where no one can/will enforce any laws against him. As he's now in a position to deploy the DoJ as his personal enforcers, he's only going to be more threatening, get more people too afraid to stand up to him and his power is only going to consolidate.

7 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Perhaps instead you would like to share with us margaritadina, how any law will be enforced against trump...

1 Like Save    
arthurm2015(Micro-Climate, Zone 10b Sydney, Australia)

I suspect that the Donald will get four more years at the helm, purely because about 30 to 40% of the eligible US population do not bother voting.

Nuff said, I'm an alien.

But crunch time is now, 2020 Tecko stuff v 1789 no Tecko stuff.

Save    
lurker111

The crats don't have the right to say "rule of law". They blanked all over it.

how any law will be enforced against trump...

Why is the left so worried about enforcing the law against Trump? He hasn't broken any laws and I doubt he will. Madness. The crats have done everything they accuse Trump of doing.

The question is...Why do the crats throw hissy fits when they get investigated? No need to answer.

2 Likes Save    
leona_2008

Did the right always have so little value for the truth? Instead of saying trump is innocent or the left is guilty of what trump has done, at least speak your truth which seems to be that you support trump no matter what. Lying looks like you're trying to convince yourselves because you certainly aren't convincing those of us who still value the truth.

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Good place to rerun Masha Gessen's piece: https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2016/11/10/trump-election-autocracy-rules-for-survival/?fbclid=IwAR0vNKO7oUgMOVeOTjmIIcQFj2HYx3ld90VbFuV2VU2B3zTrBqSFCaIp_hE

I have lived in autocracies most of my life, and have spent much of my career writing about Vladimir Putin’s Russia. I have learned a few rules for surviving in an autocracy and salvaging your sanity and self-respect. It might be worth considering them now:

1. Believe the autocrat...
  2. Do not be taken in by small signs of normality...
  3. Institutions will not save you...
  4. Be outraged...
  5. Don’t make compromises...
  6. Remember the future...
3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

If you haven't read it, it's worthwhile. If you have read it, read it again...amazing how prescient she was from 3 years ago...

For example:

And since Trump plans to use the judicial system to carry out his political vendettas, his pick for attorney general will be no less important. Imagine former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani or New Jersey Governor Chris Christie going after Hillary Clinton on orders from President Trump; quite aside from their approach to issues such as the Geneva Conventions, the use of police powers, criminal justice reforms, and other urgent concerns.

or:

For all the admiration Trump has expressed for Putin, the two men are very different; if anything, there is even more reason to listen to everything Trump has said. He has no political establishment into which to fold himself following the campaign, and therefore no reason to shed his campaign rhetoric. On the contrary: it is now the establishment that is rushing to accommodate him—from the president, who met with him at the White House on Thursday, to the leaders of the Republican Party, who are discarding their long-held scruples to embrace his radical positions.

and:

Trump has made his plans clear, and he has made a compact with his voters to carry them out. These plans include not only dismantling legislation such as Obamacare but also doing away with judicial restraint—and, yes, punishing opponents.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Houseplants Meet a Houseplant With Excellent Communication Skills
It droops when thirsty, revives quickly and thrives under fluorescents. You may want to hire this hard worker for both home and office
Full Story
The Hardworking Home 15 Rooms That Excel at Double Duty
And even triple duty. Use their ideas to rethink any small space and create a harder-working but harmonious home
Full Story
Accessories 10 Popular Home Design Trends — Timely or Timeless?
Weigh in on whether these of-the-moment decorating elements will have staying power or become a memory of these times
Full Story