Comments (81)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cyn427 NoVaZone7

Hmmmm, sounds like a CYA comment because he certainly has been acting more like Trump's private attorney than the attorney for the people and the country. I lost all trust in Barr long ago.

13 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Poor Billy.

Resign.

15 Likes Save    
chipotle

I don't think so. He's playing a game. He's saying there's nothing wrong with what happened. Pretending he doesn't like Trump's tweets is meaningless.

16 Likes Save    
bfox254

Definitely a CYA job. Now he decides to take a stand? Nonsense

12 Likes Save    
paprikash

He’s a good man

Save    
bfox254

I just read the article and something jumped out at me. Barr said Trump never asked him to interfere in a criminal case. Bolding is mine. That leaves the door open for Trump's interference in the Mueller probe, the Ukraine shake down and who knows what else.

9 Likes Save    
Kitchenwitch111

From Twitter

12 Likes Save    
zmith

In an interview with ABC News, attorney general Bill Barr said Trump’s tweets about Roger Stone’s case “make it impossible for me to do my job.”

“I think it’s time to stop the tweeting about Department of Justice criminal cases,” Barr told ABC.

The attorney general emphasized Trump “has never asked me to do
anything in a criminal case,” but he acknowledged the president’s
comments undercut his authority.

“I’m not going to be bullied or influenced by anybody ... whether
it’s Congress, a newspaper editorial board, or the president,” Barr
said. “I’m gonna do what I think is right. And you know … I cannot do my
job here at the department with a constant background commentary that
undercuts me.”

Barr helped create this monster, so what's with all the whining?

6 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Few believe you, Bill.

To prove to us how sincere you really are, please resign.

18 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

And spill the beans on the extent of the corruption.
You'll get a Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Klobuchar!

17 Likes Save    
chipotle

18 Likes Save    
Ann

Napolitano was just interviewed (by Cavuto) saying he's guessing Barr informed Trump about what he planned to say before saying it. Napolitano went on to say, on the other hand, POTUS always has the right to weigh in on prosecutions in which the DOJ is engaged. He feels like the best AG in history was Bobby Kennedy, the brother of the sitting president at that time. Napolitano is certain they spoke very regularly, and on many a subject!

But, Napolitano went on to say, out of this questioning of the appropriateness of the sentencing, has come the question of the fairness of the trial at all. The jury foreperson (a lawyer) did not reveal their prejudice (Napolitano's word) to the lawyers and the federal judge. It is the duty of the judge to make certain the government and the defendant get a fair trial. Napolitano feels the judge cannot overlook this, must get everyone back (including all that left and resigned) and then decide if Stone is entitled to a new and fair trial. Napolitano thinks Stone will be found to be entitled to a new/fair trial.

It was an interesting interview.

2 Likes Save    
cyn427 NoVaZone7

"He’s a good man"

That is what he is hoping people will think. I agree-he is playing us, complicit in plenty of of Trump's actions, and trying to salvage whatever is left of his reputation.

8 Likes Save    
ohiomom

Someone get him some cheese to go with that whine.

Did the trump take your maga hat billy boy billy boy?

4 Likes Save    
petalique

A weenie.

Not even a decent faker. You left your Bible in the men’s room, Bill.

3 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Barr didn't get one of the new fleece jackets like all the other cool kids.

2 Likes Save    
soupgirl53

Barr is trying to save face but he need not bother. It is crystal clear he is Trump's lap dog. I am glad the job he auditioned for is giving him fits. If he truly wants to save face he can do so by resigning.

8 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

We will know if Barr's "rebuke" of Trump is real or staged, by Trump's reaction:

1 Calm- White House knew it was coming in advance & Barr needed cover to prevent a DOJ revolt.

2 Explodes- Barr is saying he wants to run the show & Trump is an idiot for exposing their dirty activities.

WINNER is: #1
Just another disinformation campaign to mislead the pubic and let Trump continue his crime spree.

17 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

The tweet from Betty Bowers is perfection. Thank you Kitchenwitch

3 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

^^^ ditto that!

Bill Barr will only be known as Bill, after he's been disBarred.

12 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

He'll get over it.

BARR: '..I have a problem with SOME of the tweets..'

Attorney General William Barr told ABC News in an exclusive interview that President Donald Trump has "never" asked him "to do anything in a criminal case."

Save    
cattyles

Sounds like Barr is fine being trump’s doggie. He just doesn’t want trump bragging about it.

11 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Just posted on the pants thread—— As a pundit pointed out, Barr’s just trying to protect himself. If he wants Trump to stop tweeting why not just tell Trump in private?

4 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Sorry, don't believe this story Barr. You've been acting like Trump's personal lawyer all along. We've called you out for that. Now suddenly his in a tither about what Trump is saying.

12 Likes Save    
cyn427 NoVaZone7

Of course, the problem he references and criticism he makes is Trump's public statements and tweets. Maybe private statements don't bother him a bit.

ETA: He only cares that Trump makes it public while Barr continues to back the same outcomes which is odd because he hasn't complained before when Trump attacked and tweeted about, for example, judges, the Justice department, and the Stone trial.

4 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

Barr has every right to voice his opinions!

We love AG Barr and think he has done and is doing a stellar job!

1 Like Save    
socks(10a)

Another one of dt's puppets. I wouldn't be surprised if the two of them cooked this up to quell the outrage. The corruption is horrible (or "harrible" as dt says).

4 Likes Save    
leona_2008

When I heard about this, the reporter as well as Chuck Todd and his guests were falling for it or pretending to. I immediately thought trump was told about this beforehand and Barr is trying to save face.

4 Likes Save    
barncatz

POTUS always has the right to weigh in on prosecutions in which the DOJ is engaged

That is pure Fox fake news, it is dead wrong, and it is so illustrative of the fact that Murdoch et. al. really are trying to remake the Presidency into a stone cold dictatorship. The DOJ should be totally independent of the President! Read the ABA statement. Talk to a non- Fox lawyer! Don't just rush to your Trump corner - think about whether you want a system like modern Russia has, where an executive can jail his enemies or worse.

And you can hate Trump and still be able to weigh evidence abiut Roger Stone's actions. The defense lawyers didn't strike the juror whose hostility to Trump is now supposed to require a new trial, so they decided she could be fair.

Good grief.

8 Likes Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

The DOJ is part of the executive branch. No matter how you wring your hands this will not change, and every President has enjoyed this fact.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

As is becoming the norm, liberals go full speed ahead down their track in their wild quest (and with their planted tactics) to take people down (e.g., Trump, Barr) and we eventually make it to the right people (e.g., Brennan, Clapper, Comey, Strzok, Page, etc.).

Now, we have our latest -Tomeka Hart, the jury foreperson, as the first person that needs a good look in this Stone case debacle. We'll see if Judge Jackson does the right thing or buries herself in the same hole as Hart (or did they dig that hole together?). Time for Jackson to figure out how she ended up allowing Tomeka Hart on the jury (and as the foreperson, no less) and we'll find out if Jackson herself is part of an all new "origins" problem. So many to be cleaned out from this deep swamp! What are you planning to do with this mess, Amy Jackson?

Even Swalwell is slowly backing away from Barr impeachment so quickly after the narrative began:) Sorry Dems, there is always that highly visible swamp with each new tactic you try.

3 Likes Save    
chipotle

Her name is Amy Berman Jackson.

2 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Yep.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

Totally orchestrated. Barr does his righteous indignation act and Trump says criticism of him is perfectly acceptable.....since when and in what universe ?

Nothing more than a hall pass and unbelievably transparent.

14 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Is he fake scolding Trump? I agree with a previous post that Trump and Barr spoke about this. With Trump being Trump he let it slip he had something to do with this, he has a big mouth and can't help himself.

Hey Russia if your listening..... Remember that one?

5 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

chipotle

Her name is Amy Berman Jackson.

Let's investigate her and her family next.

1 Like Save    
catkinZ8a

Here's BIASED jury foreperson on Roger Stone case with Dem operative Donna Brazile.

1 Like Save    
cyn427 NoVaZone7

I wish I thought you were joking, catkin, though I wouldn't find it funny.

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

Geez, Trump and Barr couldn’t even wait to see what the sentence was going to be. Trump could have just pardoned him but they had to pull a obvious public power play.

1 Like Save    
Ann

Catkin, let's start with the investigation of Hart!

Then, in the meantime, let's hope Nancy and her caucus get all up in arms about anything Barr and put impeachment in action. Pretty please Dems! Swalwell was on today talking about the good the Trump impeachment did. Do it again with Barr!

2 Likes Save    
Ann

Nah, let's not use a pardon for a completely biased and unfair situation quite yet. Let's get to the bottom of it first and do some swamp draining so it won't keep happening.

Save    
Kathy

Stone is the swamp. Flynn is the swamp. Manafort is the swamp. Trump is afraid what they will say if they get a long sentence.

11 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Bill Barr made a mysterious trip to SDNY hours before Parnas and Fruman were arrested. Shortly thereafter, Giuliani started shutting up about Parnas and Fruman, and didn't try to go to Vienna with them (and Sean Hannity) as planned.

What was Barr doing in NYC?

Who did he talk to?

In a functioning republic, it's likely that Attorney General Bill Barr would have been indicted and arrested and put on bail by now. The evidence we have suggests he has been systematically obstructing justice in order to protect Trump from the revelation of his criminal conduct.

14 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Am I the only one who remembers how the elected Republicans went crazy when President Obama made a comment about the Trayvon Martin case?

21 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

How quickly we are losing our democracy.

Bill Barr: "I cannot do my job here at the Department with a constant background commentary that undercuts me.”

At the risk of people thinking Barr is being defiant, he's not. It's just him saying, "Stop tweeting, Donald. I'll be your lap dog, just don't make it so obvious."

14 Likes Save    
Ann

My guess about Trump tweeting is that Barr would like him to stop:) Many people wish Trump would tweet less! But, Trump clearly doesn't agree.

Save    
Kathy

Trump admitted he sent RG to Ukraine today after he denied it during the impeachment.

6 Likes Save    
batyabeth

"think about whether you want a system like modern Russia has, where an executive can jail his enemies or worse...............the juror whose
hostility to Trump is now supposed to require a new trial...."

Excellent points. terrifying situation in the highest reaches of our crumbling democracy

5 Likes Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

The pretend ruckus about the sentencing guidelines in likely nothing more than the first act in the public 'softening' for the pardoning of stone after his sentence is handed down. An "It wasn't fair!" pardon won't be a surprise.

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

It's apparent that set up for defending a pardon is in full swing. The Repubs are getting really good at this. Used to be they were constantly doing clean ups on aisle three . Now they are getting more clever and setting the stage to dismiss his "all about him " behaviors beforer they happen.....' cause they know they will.

3 Likes Save    
ohiomom

Meanwhile back in the real world the trump is all over Kelly. He said Kelly can't keep his mouth shut.

And yet we are supposed to believe that he is aokay with Barr saying what he did?

A bridge in brooklyn ....

6 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Only one thing seems to threaten barr -- besides trump that is -- and it's that he doesn't want to be held in contempt of congress....that part of his rep seems to be important to him...the rest of it? Who knows?

4 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

And then there's this take on it...what exactly is barr's job that trump is making it harder for him to do? Making it harder to get trump cronies and conspirators off?

As Asha Rangappa, a lawyer and former FBI special agent, put it yesterday, "It definitely makes it harder to crime for the President when the President keeps making it obvious that you are criming for him." Source: Steve Benen

5 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Am I the only one who remembers how the elected Republicans went crazy when President Obama made a comment about the Trayvon Martin case?

Nope Nancy you are not, and Martin wasn't Obama's life long friend, his tutor for decades in conspiracy theories, and knew all of Obama's secrets. Unlike trump who has a deeply vested interest in Stone's protection, IOW his own protection.

10 Likes Save    
Ann

"An "It wasn't fair!" pardon won't be a surprise."

Goodness no. It certainly won't.

1 Like Save    
Ann

"And then there's this take on it...what exactly is barr's job that trump is making it harder for him to do? "

Oh, I think Barr has a tremendous amount of work to do. Again, I sure think his job would be easier if Trump didn't tweet. The best situation for Barr would be if he were able to simply do each of his tasks without Trump talking about them. Barr's got a lot of work to do, I bet!!!!

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Did yiu mean Barr in your first sentence?

Save    
Ann

I did, thanks.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Yeah it's tough being the chief enforcer for a mob boss...lots of responsibility there.

8 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Back to the juror issue--

Why do some posters believe political affiliation is damaging to the juror system (or a federal investigation, etc.) if the juror or investigator is a Democrat, but no one ever brings up or objects to the juror or investigator being Republican?

Am I supposed to believe that only Democrats are biased (part of the the "swamp") and that Republicans/Trumpsters are totally unbiased and their objectivity is not to be questioned at all?

Or are you saying that anyone who has any partisan leaning (left or right) should be considered incapable of objectivity and thus automatically disqualified from jury duty ( or fed. investigations, etc.)? Check voter registrations and throw out any person who has a political preference?

I'll bet we would get a lot of potential jurors registering for a political party if that were a bar to serving on a jury.

Kate

10 Likes Save    
Ann

Kate, you're the one saying all that ("Or are you saying"). Jurors are frequently dismissed for cause; personal knowledge of the situation or person, inability to presume innocence, a predisposition to believe someone involved in the case, exposure to pre-trial publicity, prejudice, etc.

This foreperson could be facing a great deal of trouble, including losing their ability to practice law and possibly jail time as well. They not only had reasons to not be included on the jury but they lied.

Save    
Nana H

I don't think there is any evidence to suggest she lied. She disclosed her political involvments and said she was able to put them aside. The defense had ample opportunity to challence and could have dismessed her but they did not.

Barr himself says the case was righteously prosecuted and he was happy with the verdict.

We' ll see if there is a motion for a mistrial based on this juror. I'm betting not.

6 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

I suppose they only wanted Trump minions/supporters on the jury. I think it would be difficult to find a whole jury that is neutral on Trump and his minions. I'm sure they asked if she could be impartial and make a decision based solely on evidence presented.

1 Like Save    
cattyles

It’s going to narrow jury pools considerably if anyone that has voted or been involved in politics is stricken. That’s never been true before. It sounds like an admission that trump supporters are incapable of being unbiased.

5 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

My goodness, Ann--you did do a pretzel-twist on my post, didn't you!

I stand firmly on the belief that if being a Democrat or pro-Sanders is evidence of irrefutable bias, then being a Republican or pro-Trump is also evidence of irrefutable bias.

Goose, gander--you know.

Kate

10 Likes Save    
petalique

2008?! That’s quite a desperate reach.

Tomeka Hart was given the OKAY by Stone’s defense team.

Are we in Putin’s Russia yet? (Photos or murdered journalists, political rivals, enemies”)

2 Likes Save    
sheesh(5b)

Nana wrote: The defense had ample opportunity to challence and could have dismessed her but they did not.

I'm now wondering if keeping her on the jury was a defense tactic to throw this case into chaos. It serves their purpose to confuse the minions and make them mad about nothing. All they have to do is say it, never defend it, and the minions fall for it.

As for Trump tweets, keep 'em coming! The crazier he looks, the better.

5 Likes Save    
Ann

I think Hart's answers during jury selection need a very careful review as a next step in this process.

Save    
cyn427 NoVaZone7

It is so awful that some cannot now trust that anyone can hold certain political beliefs and still be able to be impartial as a juror. Perhaps it is because some people cannot discern what is factual and what is not these days or because some people do not care about facts or because some people simply have no desire to be impartial when judging whether someone is guilty or not guilty. I don't know. Whatever the reason, she was not dismissed, she was elected to lead the jury, and she served without any hint of bias. I suspect this is another case of a personal smear intended to upend our legal system.

8 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

"As is becoming the norm, liberals go full speed ahead down their track in their wild quest (and with their planted tactics) to take people down..."

And it sounds like this is what some Trump supporters are doing wrt Tomeka Hart. (We even have a thread about her) IF the idea is that the 'liberals' clamor for impeaching Trump leads to investigating Hart ---- ---- I cannot come up with a more neutral description of this logic. (Besides, the amount of noise demanding Barr's impeachment wasn't all that loud and long.)

It's more like each time we find a Trump official doing wrong things ---- the Trump team digs to find someone down the chain who doesn't fully support Trump and goes after the junior people.

4 Likes Save    
Nana H

How long ago was the verdict issued? Just now her veracity comes into question? On the very day Trump tweets his outrage and Barr intervenes in the sentence? Never mind that Barr states he believes the prosecution to be " righteous" and was happy with the verdict.

Her political views were declared and her statement that she could put those views aside accepted by all parties .

The defense had ample opportunity to challenge her and didn't. The defense could demand an appeal or bring a case against her but they haven't.

Some people really need to give their head a shake.

6 Likes Save    
Wants to Grow

“I’m not going to be bullied or influenced by anybody ... whether
it’s Congress, a newspaper editorial board, or the president,” Barr
said. “I’m gonna do what I think is right. And you know … I cannot do my
job here at the department with a constant background commentary that
undercuts me.”

Hi zmith, Props to you for posting the full quote, unlike the OP. Why did OP post only part of the quote?

Save    
zmith

Hi, Wants to Grow

The OP is actually a link to the NYT article if you click on the text. I couldn’t get past the paywall but found the quote on ABCnews, if I recall correctly.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

More concerning is barr is now creating a process by which to review cases with political sensitivities:

Source: Business Insider

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Attorney General Bill Barr sent out this

letter to all U.S. attorneys telling them that as of today, they may not

open any investigation into a presidential candidate, a presidential

campaign or a presidential campaign staff member or adviser without express

written permission from him, from Bill Barr personally. Source: TRMS 2/5/20

Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Yikes Ann, when it's put that way it sounds like we are talking baby steps towards the same set up as how Putin runs things in Russia. Its not just talk anymore, doesn't raise everyone's hackles, and I mean everyone, even Trump supporters.

1 Like Save    
Ann

Lol Catkin! I must say there is a ton of jumping to conclusions going on and reading and watching liberal media has been fascinating in the last day or two. I certainly have my own guesses of the current state of affairs (and a most interesting state of affairs, I think it is), but I think everyone would benefit from just a bit of patience right now:)

1 Like Save    
bob_cville

The conclusions are obvious to anyone who is not a dyed-in-the-wool Trump supporter. The rule of law is gone. The fix is in. The criminals are running the show completely for their own benefit. Personal loyalty is paramount. Rules and laws are "interpreted" and bent and subverted and broken howsoever they see fit. The most egregiously awful thing a person can do is "snitch", exposing the wrongdoing of those in power. Its exactly like a Mob family, and "You don’t ever take sides with anyone against the family. Ever."

13 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Well said, Bob!

One commentator this morning said that while 4 prosecutors resigning is good, now is the time to take a stand and thousands of federal prosecutors across the country should resign in protest of Barr corrupting himself and an entire agency for Trump’s personal vendettas.

5 Likes Save    
woodnymph2_gw

Too accurate, Bob. This crowd has been taking lessons from Putin's playbook. And I wonder how big of a role Bannon (once an avowed Marxist), has in all of their strategy.

4 Likes Save    
petalique

2 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Before and Afters Houzz Tour: Minimalism Suits an Arizona Ranch House
Leaving only what wouldn't blow off in a hurricane, an architect designs a modern take on Southwest style
Full Story
My Houzz My Houzz: A Prefab Modern Farmhouse Rises in Vermont
A prefab borrows from the simplicity of barns to suit its family and the Vermont countryside
Full Story
Architecture Fiber Cement Siding Takes a Front Seat
Not just a wood or vinyl substitute, fiber cement is a stellar siding choice in its own right for modern home exteriors
Full Story