2019 Report U.S.A. Led Entire World in Reducing Global CO2 Emissions

catkinZ8a

The United States saw the largest decline in energy-related CO2 emissions in 2019 on a country basis – a fall of 140 Mt, or 2.9%, to 4.8 Gt. US emissions are now down almost 1 Gt from their peak in the year 2000, the largest absolute decline by any country over that period. A 15% reduction in the use of coal for power generation underpinned the decline in overall US emissions in 2019. Coal-fired power plants faced even stronger competition from natural gas-fired generation, with benchmark gas prices an average of 45% lower than 2018 levels. As a result, gas increased its share in electricity generation to a record high of 37%. Overall electricity demand declined because demand for air-conditioning and heating was lower as a result of milder summer and winter weather.

https://www.iea.org/articles/global-co2-emissions-in-2019

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catkinZ8a

U.S. leads all countries in reduction of CO2 emissions since leaving Paris climate accord

February 13, 2020 | Vivek Saxena

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/02/13/u-s-leads-all-countries-in-reduction-of-co2-emissions-since-leaving-paris-climate-accord-886749

Save    
linaria_gw(zone 7 (about))

so, that makes you still the second largest emitter of carbon dioxide, after China, regarding the total amount of emission world wide

so, yea, cheers to solar panels and modern stuff, keep going that way!!

but if they ever get around to burn that beautiful clean coal tRump is waxing about...

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

“Absolute.”

Save    
margaritadina

I read this report few days ago. The US reduced it's CO2 emissions more than any other developed country.

Keep in mind that the population of the US is <> 325 M. 2019 CO2 emissions reduction beats 2018 all times high CO2 emissions reduction.

Save    
foodonastump

Did you ever watch that show “The Biggest Loser”? There’s a reason why they measured success in percentages not absolute. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy that we reduced emissions but it doesn’t sound like it’s too impressive. Particularly when the year’s weather was largely to credit.

But the article does raise something I’ve been wondering about. If we use less heating fuel because the winters are warmer, at some point do we start to balance out at least a bit?

Save    
margaritadina

''foodonastump Did
you ever watch that show “The Biggest Loser”? There’s a reason why they
measured success in percentages not absolute. Don’t get me wrong, I’m
happy that we reduced emissions but it doesn’t sound like it’s too
impressive. ''

With today's culture of consumerism small percentages of reduced emissions of any poison is all we get . It doesn't make any global difference since we have China and India (in the rise), but we can pet ourselves on the shoulder ''we did it''. And it's good. When the world will choke itself to death we can wheeze ''it wasn't us'' before we all.... Kidding.

Save    
bob_cville

I thought you all thought that CO2 isn't a problem because global climate change isn't happening, and the even if CO2 is a problem it is not due to humans, its just nature doin' nature things. But now despite the fact that CO2 is not a problem, the United States has reduced -- slightly -- its massive production of CO2, so U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! Woo.

I think you'll find that on a per capita basis, were still heads and shoulders above all other countries in CO2 emissions. And while yes a reduction is a good thing, far from being a leader in this the US Government has been actively trying to move us the opposite direction and you all have been cheering it.

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

Wrong. We insist that the climate always changes because weather isn't static. A denier is someone who insists that the climate is static, regardless of the weather. Physics is physics, and the climate must change in a very specific manner to be attributed to CO2. The warmest January is meaningless because it doesn't define where the heat is. Was it a warmer summer in the southern hemisphere? That wouldn't coincide with CO2 physics. We know far too much to be fooled by silly internet articles.

Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

^^^ Gobbledegook

2 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Don't expect someone to understand something when their salary depends upon not understanding.

Save    
lurker111

Don't expect someone to understand something when their salary depends upon not understanding.

Okay, I'll give you a break.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Features Architectural Icon: The World’s First Bauhaus House
The Haus am Horn in Weimar is the first architectural example from the famed school, and the only one in the German city where Bauhaus began
Full Story
Color The Hottest Home Design Trends From Around the World
Bold, elegant and sustainable — we review the six biggest trends from 2019’s major design fairs
Full Story
For Pros The Future of Smart Design: Reuse, Reduce, Recycle
See why reducing waste in a home construction project should appeal to every architect, designer and client
Full Story