The Windsor's, a Royal Dynasty

Nana H

No matter what you think of CNN cable news they do a great job on their specials and series. Sunday night is the premier of the series, The Windsors, a Royal Dynasty. It may be of interest to those who want to learn more about the history of the Royal Family.

The first episode is about Queen Elizabeth's Uncle, King Edward who abdicated to marry an American divorcee which led to Elizabeth eventually ascending the throne. He was a very controversial person leading up to WW2.

SaveComment5Like3
Comments (5)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patriciae_gw(07)

He was a very controversial person during WW2. Since he and Wallis had no children Elizabeth would have eventually been queen anyway assuming the monarchy survived him as king.

1 Like Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

He was a very controversial person leading up to WW2

He was a very controversial person during WW2

From the London Review of Books on biographies of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor -- https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v10/n16/paul-foot/the-great-times-they-could-have-had

In all the innumerable versions of the ‘Greatest Love Story of the Century’ it is assumed that the British Establishment, led by Stanley Baldwin and the Archbishop of Canterbury, could not stomach the idea of a monarch marrying a twice-divorced woman. The objections, it is said, were moral and religious. The truth is, however, that throughout the centuries archbishops and prime ministers have miraculously overcome their moral objections to royal idiosyncrasies in the bedchamber. The real objection to the liaison between the King and Mrs Simpson was that both were Nazi sympathisers at a time when the more far-sighted civil servants, politicians and businessmen were beginning, sometimes reluctantly, to realise that British interests and German interests were on a collision course. As the biographers of Baldwin, Keith Middlemas and John Barnes, observed, ‘the government had awakened to a danger that had nothing to do with any question of marriage.’

[In the mid-1930s the head of British intelligence is convinced that Wallis Simpson is a Nazi collaborator.]

It is this, far more than any moral consideration, which explains the determination and the ruthlessness with which Baldwin and his administration dealt with the King before his abdication. They were prepared to put up with him, as long as he was acting on his own. They bypassed him. By midsummer 1936, Higham writes, ‘all confidential documents were withheld from the King.’ The prospect of a Nazi King backed up by an infinitely more able and resourceful Wallis Simpson was intolerable. If the King wanted Mrs Simpson, he would have to get out. If he wanted to stay as King, she would have to be banished. The King’s choice (the ‘woman I love’, and exile) came as a great relief to the Government. Yet Edward remained a menace as he continued, in his exile, to offer the Nazis solidarity. When war broke out, he was summoned back to England and sent to France on military duty with the rank of Major-General. His lack of interest and enthusiasm for the job, which he showed by coolly abandoning his duties to attend some parties in the South of France with Wallis, would, in normal circumstances, have led to a court-martial. The Duke of Windsor was not court-martialled. He was made Governor of the Bahamas.

[After WW2 there were coordinated efforts to hide the extent of the Duke's support of Nazis -- including Winston Churchill.]

2 Likes Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

;i plan to watch Windsor. I am enjoying Elizabeth on Netflix. I find their history fascinating.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Sounds great. I read a series of books about King Henry the VIII and his wives which got me hooked on stories about the royals.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

All that value added commentary aside, it looks to be a good series for those interested. I recall several here being very interested in the issues surrounding the Royal Family. Of course if you are not, you are not.....It's all good and terribly unimportant which makes it even more interesting in these times.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Flowers and Plants You Can Grow Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Wedding Flowers
The blooms and branches selected to decorate St. George’s Chapel at the royal event are English garden favorites
Full Story
Design Pop Design Pop: How Do You Remodel a Castle?
With all eyes on Windsor Castle for the recent wedding of Harry and Meghan, we got to thinking about regal renovations
Full Story
Holidays Wedding Fever: Brit Design on the Mind
Union Jacks and More Fly High as Royal Wedding Draws Near
Full Story