SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

(OT) What REALLY interferes with garden cleanup

It's winter, and, though the weather looks more like April than February, this is when I do cleanup. I have a mountain of tasks. I've been chipping away at the wisteria pergola for days, lamed by my own ditheriness. 'Crepuscule', 'Jaune Desprez', and others need to be pruned; yews, all of them highly inconveniently sited, need to be sheared or cut back, the weeding and shearing of weeds is endless; I haven't finished R. helenae or started 'Awakening'; the Italian cypresses ALL require shearing, and from a ladder. There's a lot more.

It would help, though, if I didn't spend a significant amount of time walking around admiring the (too) early spring growth. The weather is sunny, mild, dry, perfect for strolling here and there. The snowdrops in the woods are making some nice clumps. The snow crocuses are in bloom; so are the sweet violets, including a pretty one I brought back from a walk, white splashed and stained violet on the front, violet on the reverse, and fragrant. Perhaps the semi-double non-fragrant violets, another find on a walk, made it through the winter after all. Peonies 'Mollis' and P. peregrina ('Fire King' or 'Otto Froebel', I forget which) are pushing up out of the earth; all the little annual herbs of early spring are growing and some flowering: geraniums, veronica, annual euphorbia, English daisies, dead nettle, clover, grasses. DH is looking forward to the buttercups, what he calls "bouton d'or", which we have in abundance. The shadier parts of the garden are wonderfully green.

I feel guilty wasting time enjoying all the spring freshness, and have to remind myself that it's one reason I have a garden in the first place: to enjoy the beauty of plants. I doubt I'll ever catch up on my garden chores, but if I did, at the price of being forever bent to my labors, what would be the point? It's like Eden right now.

"And since to look at things in bloom, Fifty years is little room, About the woodland I will go To see the cherry hung with snow."

Comments (11)