SaveComment21Like
Comments (21)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catkinZ8a

Mini-Mike planned to appeal Stop and Frisk ruling:

Save    
maddie260

dt thought stop and frisk was GREAT in 2018. dt recommended that Chicago should use stop and frisk because it worked great in NYC. For some reason, that tweet was deleted this evening?

Edited to add meaning.

1 Like Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Pointing fingers at Bloomberg will bring up reams of Trump quotes about the Central Park Five -- including his denial of their proven innocence.

4 Likes Save    
foodonastump

During a campaign stop at an African American church in Cleveland and in multiple interviews over the course of the past 24 hours, Trump hailed a policy known as “stop-and-frisk” and offered it as solution to crime-ridden neighborhoods in cities like Chicago. The tactic authorizes police to indiscriminately stop and search any pedestrian for weapons or illegal contraband.

"I think stop-and-frisk, in New York City, it was so incredible the way it worked,” Trump said during a town hall posted by Fox News Host Sean Hannity.

[...]

While some form of stop-and-frisk dates back to the 1960s in New York, it wasn't adopted more widely until the 1990s under Mayor Giuliani and Police Commissioner William Bratton. Giuliani is now a Trump advisor and surrogate.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/despite-trump-s-support-stop-frisk-widely-condemned-n652771

Will Trump have to apologize also?

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Fox’s Sean Hannity 2013:

Fox News host Sean Hannity highlighted the alleged disproportionate criminality of African-American men in his sympathy for future victims at risk from a change in NYPD policy, arguing on his August 13 radio showit's not racial profiling, or indirect racial profiling.” He continued, "[the disparity in stops and frisks] mirrored the disproportionate percentage of crimes committed by young minority men, that's what [the NYPD] said." Bill O'Reilly bluntly warned on the August 13 edition of The O'Reilly Factor, “if they do away with this program, that would be a disaster.”

https://www.mediamatters.org/sean-hannity/right-wing-media-forgo-their-commitment-constitution-defend-nypds-stop-and-frisks

Fox’s Sean Hannity 2020;

"I can tell you that it is a fact that people of all races commit crimes in New York and New York City specifically, but apparently not, according to Bloomberg," Hannity said. "Is this not the definitive definition of ... racial profiling?"

https://www.foxnews.com/media/sean-hannity-blasts-michael-bloomberg-for-his-stop-and-frisk-comments-is-this-not-the-definitive-definition-of-not-only-racial-profiling

Save    
lurker111

I happen to agree with the bloomer. Go ahead and use it against him. The crats would have a meltdown if Trump said anything of the sort.

1 Like Save    
lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)

I wouldn't spend too much air on Bloomberg. He's an iron-fisted dictator with a Napoleon complex. I can't imagine the kinds of drugs I'd have to be doing to support him.

He won't be appealing to very many people outside of Manhattan. Yet again, he will go nowhere.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

The pubs will make sure the Dems use it against him. Won’t be hard. But in the unlikely event he gets the nomination, we won’t hear much about it again.

Save    
HU-806720425

Bloomberg will take Trump out shut down the Trumper/Tea Party . The American people need a break from Trump’s hate.

Save    
lurker111

lol! Then stop hating.

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

He won't be appealing to very many people outside of Manhattan. Yet again, he will go nowhere.

~~~

Bloomberg will take Trump out shut down the Trumper/Tea Party . The American people need a break from Trump’s hate.

~~~

Ha, I guess it’s safe to say my confidence lies somewhere in between! I do think Lionheart is being too dismissive.

Save    
mrskjun(9)

But but Trump. It's not stop and frisk that upset people. Many people supported it. It's his words, it's how he believed it should be used. It's his view of young minorities.

2 Likes Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

Stop and frisk is either constitutional or it is not. What do you mean by "how it is used"?

2 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

MIKE BLOOMBERG'S 'UNAPOLOGETIC RACISM' FOR HIS STOP AND FRISK POLICY DISQUALIFIES HIM FROM RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT, SAYS CYNTHIA NIXON

BY JASON LEMON ON 2/12/20 AT 10:50 AM EST

ctress and former New York City mayoral candidate Cynthia Nixon strongly criticized Democratic presidential candidate Mike Bloomberg for what she called his history of "racism," saying that his controversial "stop and frisk" policing strategy should disqualify him from running for president.

Bloomberg, a billionaire businessman who served as New York's mayor from 2002 to 2013 and previously identified as a Republican, launched his Democratic campaign in late November. Instead of seeking grass-roots support from small donors, his campaign has spent hundreds of millions of dollars on TV ads targeting voters.

But the ex-mayor's record on race has been strongly criticized by activists, who have noted that his signature stop and frisk strategy disproportionately targeted minorities in New York, causing lasting harm to black and brown communities. While Bloomberg has apologized for the policing strategy, resurfaced clips that went viral this week show him defending the policy in 2013 and 2015.

Your disgusting defense of your incredibly harmful stop and frisk policy was from 2015 - long after you left office.

And in late 2018 you were still singing its praises.

This unexamined, unapologetic racism disqualifies you to run for President. https://t.co/hvnvfdv4I0— Cynthia Nixon (@CynthiaNixon) February 12, 2020

"Your disgusting defense of your incredibly harmful stop and frisk policy was from 2015—long after you left office. And in late 2018 you were still singing its praises," Nixon, who has endorsed Senator Bernie Sanders, tweeted Wednesday evening. "This unexamined, unapologetic racism disqualifies you to run for President," she added.

Nixon is best known for her role as Miranda Hobbes in the popular television series Sex and the City.

Her post retweeted Bloomberg saying he had apologized for the harmful policing strategy. "I have apologized for taking too long to understand the impact of stop and frisk on Black and Latino communities," he wrote. "I inherited stop and frisk. In an effort to stop gun violence, it was overused. I cut it back by 95%. I should have cut it back sooner."

Newsweek has reached out to Bloomberg's campaign for a response to Nixon's criticism, but the campaign did not respond before publication.

As many critics have noted, Bloomberg's explanation does not match the reality. According to data compiled by the American Civil Liberties Union of New York, the number of reported stops per year increased by about 700 percent in New York City from 2002 to 2011.

In Bloomberg's first year in office, there were 97,296 reported stops by the police, while the number soared to 685,724 in 2011. The level started to decline in his last two years, but it was still far higher in 2013 than when he took office. A resurfaced interview from 2013 also shows Bloomberg strongly defending the policy during his last year as mayor.

"They just keep saying it's a disproportionate percentage of a particular ethnic group. That may be, but it's not a disproportionate percentage of those who witnesses and victims describe as committing the murder," he said in the interview with New York radio station WOR. "In that case incidentally, I think we disproportionately stop whites too much and minorities too little."

In 2015 remarks at the Aspen Institute, Bloomberg doubled down on his support for the policy, arguing that the majority of criminals are minorities. "Ninety-five percent of your murders—murderers and murder victims—fit one M.O. You can just take the description, Xerox it and pass it out to all the cops," he said.

New York City's police changed the stop and frisk policy after the Center for Constitutional Rights sued in court to end the practice. That lawsuit led to the policy being declared unconstitutional in federal court at the end of Bloomberg's time as mayor. Although the billionaire has claimed he reduced the policy by 95 percent, this is false. The number of stops was about 192,000 in 2013, twice as many as when he took office in 2002.

On Tuesday, #BloombergIsRacist trended on Twitter, as many social media users shared clips of the former mayor's remarks as well as their personal experiences of harm from his administration's policies.

"If you live in New York, or know our history, you've been knowing that #BloombergIsRacist. He's awful," columnist and prominent Black Lives Matter activist Shaun King tweeted. "The world will soon know just how deep this man's bigotry goes."

https://www.newsweek.com/mike-bloombergs-unapologetic-racism-his-stop-frisk-policy-disqualifies-him-running-1486978

Save    
catkinZ8a

This should disqualify Michael Bloomberg

Updated 0028 GMT (0828 HKT) February 12, 2020

(CNN)If you need proof that Michael Bloomberg is the absolute wrong person to lead the diverse Democratic coalition to victory in 2020, look no further than a recently resurfaced 2015 recording of him defending not only the controversial policy of stop-and-frisk but violent, racist policing in New York City. Writer Benjamin Dixon, who supports Senator Bernie Sanders, posted the audio to Twitter on Monday.

"You've got to get the guns out of the hands of the people that are getting killed," Bloomberg can be heard saying. "You want to spend the money on a lot of cops in the streets, put the cops where the crime is, which means in minority neighborhoods."

"So, one of the unintended consequences is people say, 'Oh my God, you are arresting kids for marijuana that are all minorities.' Yes, that is true. Why? Because we put all the cops in the minority neighborhoods. Yes, that is true. Why did we do it? Because that's where all the crime is," Bloomberg says. "And the way you get the guns out of the kid's hands is to throw them up against the walls and frisk them."

"Ninety-five percent of murders, murderers and murder victims" are male minorities between 16 to 25, Bloomberg says.

This is actually not true -- not in New York City, and not nationwide. In 2015, reportedly the same year as this recording of Bloomberg, black men committed 36% of murders, and were 52% of murder victims, according to FBI data cited by the National Criminal Justice Reference Service. White men were 30% of murderers and 43% of murder victims. According to FBI statistics from 2015, just under 16% of male murder victims were Latino or Hispanic and less than 10% of offenders were Latino or Hispanic.

These statements should be disqualifying for Bloomberg on their face: We definitely don't need another president who uses racist scare tactics and outlandishly false claims to justify his bad policy goals. In his response to CNN about the recording, Bloomberg said of stop and frisk, "this issue and my comments about it do not reflect my commitment to criminal justice reform and racial equity."

But we know now, and we knew in 2015, just how devastating over-policing and over-incarceration is to communities of color. We know, for example, that, while there aren't significant differences in how often black Americans and white Americans use drugs, black people are 6.5 times as likely as whites to be incarcerated for drug-related crimes, according to The Hamilton Project at the Brookings Institution.According to The Sentencing Project, Hispanic men are almost four times as likely to go to prison over the course of their lifetimes as non-Hispanic white males and -- according to The Sentencing Project's citation of Justice Department data from 2015 -- Latino youth are 65% more likely to be detained or committed than their white peers.

We know that having an overwhelming police presence in a community frequently yields antagonistic or traumatic relationships between the police and the policed -- often resulting in more, not less, criminal behavior. We know that a whole series of punitive laws built over decades means that an arrest and a conviction can entirely upend a person's life, leaving them struggling to get a job, often barred from public housing, stripped of the right to receive necessary benefits like food stamps, blocked from receiving funding for a college education and unable to support themselves, let alone a family -- feeding into, not interrupting, a cycle of trauma, poverty and crime that then justifies powerful politicians like Michael Bloomberg pushing for more of the same, despite the devastating consequences.

There are few issues in the history of the modern United States that have been as overwhelmingly destructive as mass incarceration. Bloomberg and the NYPD's stop-and-frisk policies were one troubling component of a web of laws and policiesin New York and across the nation that turned communities of color into communities of the surveilled and the abused; that created the school-to-prison pipeline and told even very young people that they were suspect and dangerous and their city was just waiting to trap them in a cage; that made it near impossible for a generation of adults, most of them black and brown, to fully participate in society.

Yes, Bloomberg apologized for stop-and-frisk -- kind of. In both 2019 and 2020, he said that he should have curbed the policy sooner and faster. And while he has said he was wrong, he has never fully grappled publicly with the ways in which his tenure as mayor simply broke so many families, and shattered entire communities.

This is no small thing. This is about decency, judgment and the very basics of leading a party that is fueled by voters of color and claims to stand for basic fairness and justice. Lots of Democrats made significant mistakes in the 1990s when it came to being tough on crime -- mistakes that were readily apparent by the mid-2000s. You cannot be the leader of a diverse, justice-oriented party when you said, just a few years ago -- well after we well knew just how damaging over-policing and mass incarceration are -- that "the way you get the guns out of the kid's hands is to throw them up against the walls and frisk them." You cannot be the leader of a diverse, justice-oriented party when you said you "put all the cops in the minority neighborhoods ... because that's where all the crime is."

That doesn't mean there's no place for Bloomberg to make amends. I hope he takes large chunks of his tremendous fortune and hands it off to the groups now fighting the scourge of surveillance, trauma and violence to which he contributed. I hope he gives handsomely to the effort to make sure Donald Trump loses in 2020. I hope that the public shows him a humanity and sense of mercy that he and his NYPD refused so many New Yorkers.

I hope he makes amends for the sprawling damage he has done. But these comments prove that the White House isn't the place for him to do it.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/11/opinions/bloomberg-recording-racism-stop-and-frisk-filipovic/index.html

Save    
foodonastump

tl,dr

And yes we know this will be an issue for him. Interested to see how he responds.

1 Like Save    
catkinZ8a

Hoping to see Breadline Bernie and Mini-Mike Bloomberg go at it--pay per-view material.

Save    
cattyles

Impeach him.

Save    
HU-806720425

Trump knows Bloomberg will beat him...,So do Trumpers.

1 Like Save    
catkinZ8a

1 Like Save    
Jenny Tylersen

I can understand people calling him out due to back tracking about stop and frisk which definitely works. However, as insensitive as it may sound, the hard truth is that the overwhelming majority of murders and violent crime are commited by minorities. Thats a factual statement if you simply look at the stats. It cannot be disputed.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decluttering 4 Obstacles to Decluttering — and How to Beat Them
Letting go can be hard, but it puts you more in control of your home's stuff and style. See if any of these notions are holding you back
Full Story
Traditional Architecture Houzz Tour: Later in Life, a Bold New Design Adventure
A Washington, D.C., couple in their 70s embark on a new marriage and an innovative renovation of a historic row house
Full Story
Earth Day 6 Green-Roof Myths, Busted
Leaky, costly, a pain to maintain ... nope, nope and nope. Get the truth about living roofs and see examples from simple to elaborate
Full Story