J. Smollett Indicted For Lying To Law Enforcement In Hate-Crime Hoax

catkinZ8a

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Former “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett was charged on Tuesday in a six-count indictment, returned at the recommendation of a special prosecutor, with falsely claiming to Chicago police that he had been the victim of a hate crime.

The indictment came nearly a year after Cook County prosecutors dropped earlier charges accusing Smollett, who is black and openly gay, of staging a phony hate crime. The dismissal of the earlier charge drew an outcry from the city’s police department and led to a Cook County judge appointing former U.S. Attorney Dan Webb to review the case

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-people-jussie-smollett-idUSKBN2052SD

SaveComment23Like1
Comments (23)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catkinZ8a

The TV actor Jussie Smollett has been indicted by a special prosecutor on six counts accusing him of lying to Chicago police – almost a year after similar charges against him relating to an alleged hoax attack were dropped amid outcry from many sides.

Smollett faces six counts of disorderly conduct, the special prosecutor Dan Webb said in a statement on Tuesday afternoon.

Tina Glandian, Smollett’s attorney, did not immediately return a call for comment.

Prosecutors last March agreed to drop criminal charges against the Empire actor Smollett for apparently faking a hate crime attack in Chicago, a decision which at the time drew claims from then mayor, Rahm Emanuel, of a “whitewash of justice”.

Smollett had earlier in 2019 been charged with 16 counts of felony disorderly conduct for allegedly hiring two men to stage a racist, homophobic attack against him in downtown Chicago.

After being arrested in January 2019 and accused of staging a hoax, Smollett later said: “I have been truthful and consistent on every single level since day one. I would not be my mother’s son if I was capable of one drop of what I’ve been accused.”

He went on: “This has been an incredibly difficult time, honestly one of the worst of my entire life. But I am a man of faith, and I am a man that has knowledge of my history, and I would not bring my family, our lives or the movement through a fire like this. I just wouldn’t.”

The actor, who is gay and black, had said he was walking home from a sandwich shop in downtown Chicago at about 2am on 29 January when two men approached him, shouting racist and homophobic slurs, beat him up, poured bleach on him and looped a rope around his neck.

He claimed the attackers said “This is Maga country”, referring to Donald Trump’s Make America Great Again election campaign slogan.

But shortly afterwards, Chicago police held a dramatic news conference, accusing Smollett of a hoax. Police said he faked the attack because he was unhappy with his salary and wanted to drum up publicity to help his career.

On Tuesday, the news emerged that Webb had indicted Smollett and the actor is due in court on 24 February.

A judge in August appointed Webb, a former US attorney, as a special prosecutor to look into why the original charges were dropped.

Webb also was looking into whether calls that Kim Foxx, the Cook county state’s attorney, had with a Smollett relative and an ex-aide of Michelle Obama had unduly influenced the decision to drop charges. Foxx recused herself from the case but continued to weigh in.

The city has sued Smollett, seeking reimbursement of more than $130,000 for overtime paid to officers who were involved in investigating Smollett’s report.

Smollett’s attorneys have said the city should not be allowed to recover costs from Smollett because it accepted $10,000 from the actor “as payment in full in connection with the dismissal of the charges against him”.

Smollett’s case has become an issue in Foxx’s bid for a second term. Her opponents have pointed to the case as indicating she has bad judgment and favors the rich and powerful in deciding who will be prosecuted.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/feb/11/jussie-smollett-hoax-attack-allegation-charges-chicago-police

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Great news! The political smulletts will soon follow.

3 Likes Save    
Toby

What, no meme?

Save    
Rudebekia

Justice done, finally. What a loser.

4 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Jussie is a darling of the Democrats. I find it really interesting how his hoax coincided perfectly with the Dems' anti-lynching legislation, and how Kamala and Sparticus jumped right on the band wagon to use this fake crime to prop up their bill.

4 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

5 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

5 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Smollett knew Democrats would rally around him and give him cover for the hateful hoax crime he committed. They were all to happy to fall over him in the name of attacking Trump and his supporters.

6 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

He was willing to let innocent people go to jail!

Lock him up!

6 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Smollett implicated millions of white Trump supporters. It's really lucky that he didn't start protests and riots with his hoax.

6 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Funny- Nancy prayed for him, lol lol. and justice was served;))))))))))

5 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Hopefully her prayers have the same effect on Trump.

Save    
catkinZ8a

She crucifies Christ daily.

2 Likes Save    
margaritadina

''Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx earlier this month released a
series of text messages and emails to and from Tina Tchen, a prominent
Chicago attorney and former chief of staff to Michelle Obama,''

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/03/27/jussie-smollett-investigation-ex-michelle-obama-aide-tina-tchen/3294546002/

Michel Obama helped charges against Smallett go away using Tina Tchen (her former chief of staff ) as a mediator.

This is how it was mapped out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfY1I1a9dDU

Save    
linaria_gw(zone 7 (about))

shame he is not bff with Drump

then he could be acquitted

1 Like Save    
Tito Milian

Because the House will impeach Smollett??

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

These photos that catkin show, show more than just a photo op. You can see the real affection and bond these people have. Ties that bind!

2 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

If there was any affection I doubt very much they are supporting him any longer. He was charming and they were taken by him. But he proved to be a liar and desperate for attention since he no longer would have his acting role on that show. I doubt very much he is still enjoying any affection.

Unlike our serial liar in the White House. He lies every day bigly and can no wrong in the righty tighties eyes and still has supporters. Why??

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

If there was any affection I doubt very much they are supporting him any longer. He was charming and they were taken by him. But he proved to be a liar. I doubt very much he is still enjoying any affection.

LOL- you got that right, lol. They will throw him under the bus in a heart beat! The snake charmers took him in and used him.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Oh ok. you’d respect if they stood by him. Got it.

2 Likes Save    
margaritadina

Michelle believed that Jessie was innocent a year ago and took her time to pull him out of trouble, she should continue standing by him now - nothing has changed, same crime, same evidence, same Jessie. Nothing new came up during this year. She should stand by him.

But she won't. Dark times of her hubby's administration dirty behind the curtain business is over. She knows that. And openly supporting a friend who committed the crime but still remains a friend and deserves support is not in her book.

2 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

It was Michelle's assistant?

Save    
queenmargo

All a bunch of dirty birds.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular The Inevitable Future of Drones Around Your Home
As Google joins the push for airborne deliveries, it seems only a matter of time before neighborhoods are buzzing with drones. Is that OK?
Full Story
Your First House So You're Thinking About Getting a Dog
Prepare yourself for the realities of training, cost and the impact that lovable pooch might have on your house
Full Story
Sheltering at Home How Are You Passing the Time at Home Right Now?
Share your thoughts about how you are coping with stress and staying grateful during this difficult time
Full Story