GOP Senate blocks 3 election security bills.

Kathy

The Securing America's Federal Elections, or SAFE, Act — the third bill Democrats tried to clear — authorizes more funding for the Election Assistance Commission and includes language that would ban voting machines from being connected to the internet and being produced in foreign countries.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/482569-senate-gop-blocks-three-election-security-bills

SaveComment24Like1
Comments (24)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kathy

What could go wrong with Chinese manufactured voting machines connected to the internet?

2 Likes Save    
blfenton

Are the voting machines that are mentioned the ones the Ivanka has trademarks for?

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

I don’t think specifically. I’m just surmising they are trying to prevent any foreign machines since they know she has trademarks.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

No. We need to get rid of all electronic voting. Paper ballots ONLY!!!

2 Likes Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

...and spend more money on busing dead people and babies to vote.

Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

I'd like to see confirmed evidence of buses of dead people and babies.

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Of course they did....they know cheating is the only way the gop can win.

1 Like Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

I agree that paper ballots are the most secure.

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

Lurker, that’s the first time I have agreed with you. Paper Ballots. I don’t care if it takes a week to get results. I don’t like the machines connected to the internet. That’s asking for trouble imho.

4 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Paper ballots can be read with electronic readers that tabulate the votes and send the results via secure modem after the polls close. Should there be any questions the paper ballots (secured after the election) can be available for a recount by machine or by hand.

6 Likes Save    
Kathy

We have that type of voting in our precinct in Mi.

2 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Geez....Trump and McConnell may as well just stand at the podium and say “yeah, we’re gonna cheat.”

8 Likes Save    
girlnamedgalez8a(8A)

Of course they blocked them, if not then they would have to cover up for Trump again.

1 Like Save    
Karen S. (7b, NYC)(NYC, zone 6)

This action should be broadly publicized as widely as possible to raise folks' outrage! WTF????

Why ELSE would they block such actions? My G_d if that's not a new low. THAT ACTION should be made a crime!!!

4 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

We've had machine read paper ballots for years. And the ballots are kept. And none of the system is connected to the WWW Internet, so they say.

2 Likes Save    
Save    
ohiomom

We also have machine read paper ballots.

Save    
queenmargo

I think we should vote with our fingerprint, for a lot of reasons.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

The U.S. does not have a federalized election infrastructure. That means states and localities have the freedom to oversee voting how they see fit, with little oversight from the federal government.

Some states are considering internet voting for those overseas and military. Others have stopped it due to concerns of hacking. Every state controls its own elections.

Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

The gop seems to believe that a less secure election process bodes well in their favor, wonder why they think that?

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

"Secure the election" has a completely different meaning to the crats. Think about it.

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Paper ballots can be read with electronic readers that tabulate the votes

This is the method in Los Angeles County. The voter places the ballot in the scanner, then the poll worker advises when the scan has been completed.

Save    
Kitchenwitch111

I think we should vote with our fingerprint, for a lot of reasons.

Do you think it's a good idea for the Feds to have all our fingerprints?

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Seriously dumb idea, IMO. So everybody's fingerprints will be collected - by which government agency, and at what cost? And who will manufacture and secure the technology to register those votes? How will the data be stored and secured between elections?

& if GOP Senators refuse to secure our election systems now, how will any new technology be secured going forward?

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular Why Google Just Paid $3.2 Billion for a Company That Makes Thermostats
Smart home technology just got a new champion — and everyone is speculating about the reasons
Full Story
Remodeling Guides Open vs. Closed Kitchens — Which Style Works Best for You?
Get the kitchen layout that's right for you with this advice from 3 experts
Full Story
Green Building Upgrade Your Windows for Beauty, Comfort and Big Energy Savings
Bid drafts or stuffiness farewell and say hello to lower utility bills with new, energy-efficient windows
Full Story