How many of you are prepared for Disaster?

haydayhayday

The paranoid gene survives in our species because every hundred years of so, it's only the paranoid who survive.

I'm amazed at reports that our first-line defense, hospitals and the like, against things like Coronavirus might be having trouble keeping stock of simple things like masks.

And the CDC, I suspect, is not really prepared to deal with a surge, if it comes, of people needing to be tested for it. How are they going to be able to distinguish between the common flu and Coronavirus if it's needed? I think the Japanese said they can only test 1000 people a day.... and the ship at bay has close to 4,000 people on it.

Do you have a supply of masks, gloves....anything at all?

How much food do you have if you need to hole up for a while?

Finally, with the so-called anti-gouging laws, why would someone like me go to the trouble and expense and risk of stocking up on these items for all of you who don't do it yourself if I get no reward for doing it?

Depend on FEMA? Explain that to the Puerto Ricans.

Hay

SaveComment81Like
Comments (81)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Do you have a supply of masks, gloves

Actually I do.

My supplies were accumulated for other reasons; allergic reactions and messy projects.

1 Like Save    
haydayhayday

Right now, you can't buy any masks at any Home Depot within 100 miles of me.

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

I haven't seen anything so recent that I can remember the exact details, but our food supply would run out in no time at all if people panicked and everyone wanted to stock up.

Hay

Save    

you can't buy any masks at any Home Depot within 100 miles of me.

Available online from a variety of sources.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

N95 disposables? There’s limited supplies here, Hay, according to their web site. Is that what I should be buying? I’ll buy you some, too, if you want to stop by for a visit.

Save    
zmith

I've never been one to panic, but out of curiosity I did a quick online search for "viral face mask" and guess what? Sold out everywhere! Could it be because they all come from China? I would LOL, but it's not really funny.

Save    
zmith

I used to live in hurricane-prone Houston. An imminent storm can empty store shelves of batteries and bottled water in a matter of hours.

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

We have a case of ramen in the pantry and will have half a cow in the freezer soon. After that's gone I guess I'll have to live on varmints.

Save    
vedabeeps

We probably have around 50 Niosh N95 masks left- I always have them on hand for sanding cars and other messy jobs, boxes of gloves since I color my hair and do a lot of other messy projects. Otherwise we’re well stocked (food, cat food and litter, water and filtration supplies, household, first aid, etc.) since it’s earthquake country. We’d be good for several weeks- maybe even longer since we have a year round garden being Southern California.

Save    
paprikash

We’re not prepared but my BIL sure is. He’s got gold, silver, masks, medicine, canned food for a lifetime (probably expired stuff I wouldn’t eat), all kinds of meat (including roadkill) in a freezer that probably hasn’t been attended to in ages (again, I wouldn’t eat), and lots of his home cooking (which I won’t eat). DH and I have enough in the freezer for about a week so I think, if there’s a disaster, we’re in deep doo doo. At least we’ll be together.......

1 Like Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

I have a good supply of latex gloves (use them when hand weeding) and N95 masks (use these when working in the crawlspace, spray painting, and using fiberglass insulation). Have 2 wells for water and can go vegetarian if need be.

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry Hay.

Save    
linaria_gw(zone 7 (about))

chances are

face masks, simple ones, don't work against a tiny virus, just sayin

4 Likes Save    
ohiomom

‘From ghoulies and ghosties and long leggety beasties And things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us!’

Save    
haydayhayday

Linaria:

"chances are

face masks, simple ones, don't work against a tiny virus, just sayin"

If someone sneezes on your face, can it hurt?

ohiomom:

‘From ghoulies and ghosties and long leggety beasties And things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us!’

The wing and a prayer survival kit.

vgkg:

"Eat, Drink, and Be Merry Hay."

Funny. I'm definitely stocking up on beer and wine. They keep for a while. I am going to my big dance festival this weekend. An orgy of 4000 people sneezing and coughing and touching. Bringing back whatever we pick up back to our home town.Coming soon to a town near you.

Paprikish:

"At least we’ll be together."

When I'm thinking about this today, I can just imagine people, unprepared and dying on their deathbed, sitting at home and posing one last unflattering photo of Trump. HT's version of the musicians playing the last songs on the Titanic.

lonejack:

"After that's gone I guess I'll have to live on varmints."

I can survive for at least a year from the deer in my field.

I'd have to be in pretty bad shape to want to eat a 'possum.

zsmith:

"An imminent storm can empty store shelves of batteries and bottled water in a matter of hours."

Ditto with all the N 95's that you're now seeing on line.

Foas:

"N95 disposables? There’s limited supplies here, Hay, according to their web site. Is that what I should be buying? I’ll buy you some, too, if you want to stop by for a visit."

Drop by on your way home and give us an update. They're going fast.

Nancy:

"Available online from a variety of sources."

Check back in ten minutes and they may very well be gone.

I can't be sure, but it looks to me that the prices may have shot up recently.

Gotta run. One last dance. God willing, that's all I ask out of life.

Hope you all make it.

Hay

Save    

Check back in ten minutes and they may very well be gone.

No, still pages of disposable face masks for sale.

it looks to me that the prices may have shot up recently.

The joys of capitalism.

Save    
blfenton

I just googled the differences between flu, cold and coronavirus. It seems that no one knows. Here is one of the many links

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-cold-or-flu-how-to-tell-the-difference/a-52233885

Common coronavirus symptoms can include:

— Fever
— Dry cough
— Shortness of breath
— Aching muscles
— Fatigue

Less typical coronavirus symptoms:

— Phlegm buildup
— Headache
— Hemoptysis
— Diarrhea

Symptoms atypical for coronavirus:

— Runny nose
— Sore throat

A runny nose and a sore throat are typical signs of upper respiratory infection. Therefore, those who have bouts of sneezing or get the sniffles likely have the flu or a common cold.

So I just had a "COLD" or did I? I had dry cough, fatigue, shortness of breath, headache and diarrhea (TMI - sorry) but no runny nose or sore throat. Could it have been.......?

1 Like Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,maifleur,others(8a)

What I’ve been hearing is that one wears a mask to protect others, not oneself. If you have a virus mask up, if not don’t bother because it won’t protect you anyway.

For food, we have three days’ worth of three meals for ten people in separate bins ready to toss in a vehicle if we need to evacuate.

At the moment, in our house I figure we could live comfortably about two weeks on the food we have now, but I’m just about ready to order all my bulk foods (flour, sugar, rice, beans, lentils) so those supplies are a little low. We could live, but we wouldn’t be eating our favourite meals by any stretch of the imagination.

With short rations, we could live about a month I think, and that doesn’t allow for harvesting crops, emptying our commercial storage, or butchering chickens or cows. It does assume we can still milk twice a day and gather eggs.

If we can empty our commercial storage and harvest, we’ve got at least three months. If we can butcher animals, we’ve got several years but we’ll be awfully slim and several vegetarians will have to compromise their diet of choice.

That’s assuming there are no raids from our neighbours of course.

Save    
Nana H

We could last easily three months without leaving the cottage ( primary residence) . Might not be the " funnest " three months but we could easily last that long between freezer and canning.

City and Florida ......not at all prepared for anything more than next week.

Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

I'm set. My neighbors run in herds and are pleasantly fattened...

3 Likes Save    
ohiomom

I remember about 10 years ago a friend being shocked that no one in our family owns a gun ... as city dwellers she assumed all of us were locked and loaded. So i asked her why she and her hubby (also city dwellers) owned so many .... "for when the hordes come of course" says she.

Okay now I will be serious and answer the question. I went out today and bought cases of crackers and gallon jars of peanut butter, all to be washed down with the dozens of cases of water and powdered milk.

We are ready for the hordes (^_^)

3 Likes Save    
cattyles

I need cat litter, I guess. I probably have as many expired canned goods as pap’s BIL.

2 Likes Save    
blfenton

Sooooo......miss lindsey - I know you're about an hour for me, but just where exactly?

4 Likes Save    
ohiomom

Gotta go back out tomorrow, I knew I forgot something .... Jam! What is peanut butter without jam.

3 Likes Save    
cattyles

Nothing without jam.

Save    

I'm set for some time; I might be sick of beans, pasta, and tuna after a couple weeks. Better stock up on dried herbs and seasonings.

And sardines!

(I'm too used to earthquake preparedness and thinking there will be no gas or electricity.)

Save    
ohiomom

Oooooh sardines with raw onions and grainy mustard on crackers ... yum

Added to my list of necessities ... do you think the hordes like sardines?

(^_^)

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

I have emergency food for about six weeks not including the normal pantry and freezer stuff which would be a month assuming we can keep the freezer going. We are prepped for a major quake. Boring food but food is food. I don't think there is too much you can do about a pandemic. If you know the history of the really old ones they brought cities to a virtual standstill. Hard to know if that would happen today. Infrastructure has to have people to run it so water, electricity, fuel?

I keep my emergency rations in metal these days. I used big plastic tubs at first. I opened them up to swap out the food (food bank bound) and it was gone-big hole chewed in the end. We have Wood Rats. I don't store canned food because cans freeze. None of my food was rat proof. Learning experience.

1 Like Save    
HamiltonGardener

Ohiomom, I have dozens of jars of blackcurrant jam if you need some. And pickles, sauerkraut, and pear chutney, if you like.

2 Likes Save    

do you think the hordes like sardines?

Good point.

I'll supplement the sardines with anchovies -- anchovies stacked around the sardines to fool the hordes.

I hope those hungry hordes leave my kalamata olives alone. Better hide the fancy olive oil too.

2 Likes Save    
ohiomom

Oh my now I am hungry HG, my list is getting longer. I store everything in glass jars with metal lids, even recycle jars for spices etal. The plastic containers in the fridge contain my oats and nuts.

The only thing I buy in cans are tomatoes for soups and stews and, of course, sardines.

Good point Nancy ... (^_^)

1 Like Save    
HamiltonGardener

If the big disaster comes, let’s all get together for a food swap.

Paranoia isn’t necessary to survive, just a compulsive addiction to grow and pickle things.

5 Likes Save    

I store everything in glass jars with metal lids

I do too, but on lower shelves because we are in earthquake country. Far too many of those glass containers are holding different types of beans. Oh well, I'll have plenty of time to remember to soak the beans with a pandemic.

2 Likes Save    

HamiltonGardener

3 minutes ago

If the big disaster comes, let’s all get together for a food swap.

———

Yes! Cooperation and collaboration is the way to go :-D

1 Like Save    
breenthumb

Cooperate and graduate DH used to say.

Save    
lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)

"What I’ve been hearing is that one wears a mask to protect others, not oneself. If you have a virus mask up, if not don’t bother because it won’t protect you anyway."

You are correct. The masks were initially designed to keep healthcare professionals from coughing and sneezing on patients during surgeries.

The jury is still out on whether or not wearing masks during surgery prevents the transmission of disease.

One of the problems with ongoing use of masks is that we humans exhale moisture and the masks end up getting humid and gathering bacteria, so they have to be changed and disposed of properly.

Most masks will not filter viruses but, even if you have a specialized mask that does filter smaller particles like viruses, they have to fit properly and be worn most of the day. It turns out that most people get tired of wearing them. The masks have to be removed to eat and drink. What if you sneeze and have to blow your nose? The mask comes off.

Better advice: Wash your hands frequently and avoid touching your face. Someone actually did a study and figured out that humans absentmindedly touch their faces about 3-4 times per hour. It makes it pointless to wear a mask if you wipe your eye with virus-ridden hands. :-)

5 Likes Save    
foodonastump

We’d be fine until Friday.

5 Likes Save    

After a few weeks, food would be the least of your worries. We humans are generalists and omnivores, so we can always find something to eat, even if it's not palatable to our 21st century sensibilities.

If things start to break down and no one is available to fix them, you'll be facing some tough choices. Fuel, heat, electricity, plumbing - disrupt the supply chain and/or the invisible army of mostly men who keep things running smoothly, and we will have some real problems.

2 Likes Save    

"We’d be fine until Friday."

Good one. :-)

Friday it is. We can all get drunk. Who's in charge of the beer?

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Possibly missed comments about this, since I skimmed my way through, so apologies if it's redundant.

I learned yesterday that the bulk of mask manufacturers are guess where?

China.

And also, a mask is only of any use if you change it after you are around an infected person - same with gloves. Everybody know the correct procedure for removing and disposing used gloves?

Decades of First Aid/CPR certification here.

Save    
blfenton

Music and beer on a Friday - what more do we need.

1 Like Save    

I don’t have beer on hand but I can contribute 9 bottles of wine and assorted liquor plus 8ish bottles of tonic water or ginger beer

Save    

“Fuel, heat, electricity, plumbing - disrupt the supply chain and/or the invisible army of mostly men who keep things running smoothly, and we will have some real problems.”

Yes. That’s why although I am not a prepper I will always have a wood burning stove and supply of firewood, and why I’m grateful to live in farming country where people in general know how to do everything.

2 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

I don't stock up for disasters, we always have extra food, not many gloves or masks. Personally I don't waste any sleep over this, what happens, happens.

I don't understand the following comment though. You think that if you stock up then you should be able to exploit others who, when they went to the store to get these supplies, find the shelves empty because others have bought waaaaay more than they need in order to resell later at a high price?

Finally, with the so-called anti-gouging laws, why would someone like me go to the trouble and expense and risk of stocking up on these items for all of you who don't do it yourself if I get no reward for doing it?

My answer is then only buy what you need, don't hog the supplies, leave some for others, and if you find others in need, share. No extra expense or trouble for you at all.

4 Likes Save    
HamiltonGardener

I’m going to live life stead of preparing for death.

If disaster ever comes, I’m just going to head over to Hay’s house to rob him of all his stuff.

8 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

^^^^ just come to mine, no felony needed, I will share. LOL

3 Likes Save    
HamiltonGardener

But... taking Hay’s stuff would be more fun.

5 Likes Save    

😆

Save    
elvis

Added to my list of necessities ... do you think the hordes like sardines

The hordes will likely mostly be zombies, I don't think they want food.

Save    
haydayhayday

https://www.amazon.com/paint-suit-and-coveralls/b/ref=dp_bc_aui_C_4?ie=UTF8&node=2445484011

I think I could improvise a pretty good hazmat suit.

Duct tape---check

Shower curtain---check

HG:

"But... taking Hay’s stuff would be more fun."

No need, I'd share. But.... I'm always up for a good fight.

Ubro:

" just come to mine, no felony needed, I will share. LOL"

The problem with Ubro's offer is that is that he's not the one with the goodies:

Ubro:

"I don't stock up for disasters, we always have extra food, not many gloves or masks. Personally I don't waste any sleep over this, what happens, happens.

Talk is cheap.

Hay delivers.

Hay

1 Like Save    
haydayhayday

Ubro:

"I don't understand the following comment though. You think that if you stock up then you should be able to exploit others who, when they went to the store to get these supplies, find the shelves empty because others have bought waaaaay more than they need in order to resell later at a high price?"

Quoting Hay:

"Finally, with the so-called anti-gouging laws, why would someone like me go to the trouble and expense and risk of stocking up on these items for all of you who don't do it yourself if I get no reward for doing it?"

Back to Ubro:

"My answer is then only buy what you need, don't hog the supplies, leave some for others, and if you find others in need, share. No extra expense or trouble for you at all.""

Back to Hay:

First of all, so I can attract nice, sweet women to my place when disaster hits.

Works like a charm.

You like frozen vegetables to have in the winter when the ground is frozen? Thank a speculator who risks his money to buy the vegetables in the summer when they're plentiful and goes to the effort of bringing them to you very cheap when you most want them in the middle of winter.

All in the name of that evil concept called profit.

Hay

1 Like Save    

"I don’t have beer on hand but I can contribute 9 bottles of wine and assorted liquor plus 8ish bottles of tonic water or ginger beer"

Our disaster is going to be fun. Cold and dark, but fun. :-)

"Yes. That’s why although I am not a prepper I will always have a wood burning stove and supply of firewood, and why I’m grateful to live in farming country where people in general know how to do everything."

Preppers go overboard, but the wood burning stove is a good idea. In most places that aren't deserts, you can always get wood but you can't always get pellets or natural gas or propane.

Unfortunately, the smoke gives you away. I always wondered about that - a bunch of people see smoke, realize you can heat and cook, and they want what you have. We need a clever way to hide the smoke or at least disperse it enough so it's not obvious.

2 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

The problem with Ubro's offer is that is that he's not the one with the goodies:

Ubro:

"I don't stock up for disasters, we always have extra food, not many gloves or masks. Personally I don't waste any sleep over this, what happens, happens.

Talk is cheap.

Hay delivers.

Hay

You don't know me, I don't 'stock up' for disasters that is the way we live on our farm with multiple sources of meat, our own water, dairy, eggs, fruit and veg.

You like frozen vegetables to have in the winter when the ground is frozen? Thank a speculator who risks his money to buy the vegetables in the summer when they're plentiful and goes to the effort of bringing them to you very cheap when you most want them in the middle of winter.

Think of us who put up all our own frozen veg in the winter, as well as canned, I would got to all that effort and still share with my neighbours if there was a disaster and they were in need.

FYI I would thank the speculator when times are fine and he uses his business to make a living. But, that speculator becomes a moron when they use people's desperation to make extra cash.

Save    
haydayhayday

"You don't know me, I don't 'stock up' for disasters that is the way we live on our farm with multiple sources of meat, our own water, dairy, eggs, fruit and veg."

Good to know. I'll sneak in an grab a chicken if I get tired of caviar.

"Think of us who put up all our own frozen veg in the winter, as well as canned, I would got to all that effort and still share with my neighbours if there was a disaster and they were in need."

I'm generous, too. I'll take a couple extra chickens for my friends.

"FYI I would thank the speculator when times are fine and he uses his business to make a living. But, that speculator becomes a moron when they use people's desperation to make extra cash."

OK, but when you do need what he's got in a time of emergency, I'd be cautious about calling him a moron in that moment.

Or wait for FEMA.

Hay

2 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

OK, but when you do need what he's got in a time of emergency, I'd be cautious about calling him a moron in that moment.

Or wait for FEMA.

ROTF!

Save    
llucy

Good topic.

At any given time I probably have enough food to feed my family of 3 for 3-4 weeks. Majority of it is frozen however, so I worry about losing electricity. I need to give more thought to having shelf stable foods that can be eaten at room temp.

I have elderly parents on numerous medications that require weekly pharmacy trips and insurance company does not allow "stockpiling" meds. If pharmacies were forced to close due to pandemic the impact would be horrendous.

2 Likes Save    
haydayhayday

"I'm generous, too. I'll take a couple extra chickens for my friends."

Which highlights the reality, I guess, that those of you who have some elements of a farm that you think will help you through a disaster might want to rethink that.

If the grocery stores are closed, everybody knows who keeps chickens down the road.

You'll going to be having company.

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

I will stockpile some cash. While it's still untainted with your killer germs. Small bills to go along with my jars of coins that I always manage to accumulate. The trick is to avoid contact and exact change will allow me to pay in exact cash and not get back any filthy, dirty money.

Stockpile medicines. Good reminder.

I hate going to the pharmacies and using their filthy germ-laden counters and pens even in the best of times.

As long as it's cold, I can stockpile a lot of root veggies in a cold room. Potatoes, carrots and the like. Some veggies will keep for a while.

Hay

Save    
woodnymph2_gw

Those of us, like myself, who have been living for years in hurricane-prone areas are well used to stocking up on food and everything else. It's not that bad to eat cans of tuna and beans, actually. I also have cans of sardines, anchovies, fruits, and salmon.

I only take one med and am well stocked up that for several months.

Luckily, I live in a very mild climate so don't need to worry about bitterly cold weather.

We get a lot of rain here so maybe I will start collecting rainwater in containers.

I do need to remind myself to keep more cash on hand.

I tried to buy face masks locally and there are none to be had.

1 Like Save    

I posted this article as a topic here:

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5867219/is-there-an-official-epidemic-response-plan

And I realize that the idea of our gov't providing emergency response resources is anathema to some here.

1 Like Save    
haydayhayday

carolb:

"And I realize that the idea of our gov't providing emergency response resources is anathema to some here."

I just glanced at your link.

"Large and small, America’s localities rely in times of public health crisis on the federal government.

Bureaucracy matters. Without it, there’s nothing to coherently manage an alphabet soup of agencies housed in departments ranging from Defense to Commerce, Homeland Security to Health and Human Services (HHS).

But that’s all gone now."

That's your bolding.

It reads like a joke.

When disaster strikes, the last ones in are the Federal government. Mostly parading around after most of the locals clean up the mess.

Cajun Navy ring a bell?

And, guess who it was that managed to be the first-line responders to the need for watered water when Katrina hit?

Walmart and another local big store chain that had the supply lines set up already. Just another day for them.

Really, the best thing the government could do is to get out of the way. Stop pretending they know what they're doing.

How to manage a mess of bureaucracy?

The government's solution to everything:

More bureaucracy.

Hay

2 Likes Save    

I can’t disagree with your last post Hay. I too chafe at bureaucracy (in fact I can’t even spell the word on the first try, thanks spellcheck).

However I’m also averse to relying on the good will of corporations like Walmart that have no accountability to the community and wantonly destroy local businesses, exploit workers, and fail to hold manufacturers responsible for managing the earth’s resources responsibly.

What I would like to see is elected governments streamlined to the same efficiency as private corporations. I realize that is a utopian pipe dream.

2 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

I will emphasize having some cash on hand. In the Katrina aftermath in Southern Mississippi people couldn't get money from the bank since systems were down and so couldn't buy gas for generators. Small bills. Cash is useless in a total system breakdown though. If you were going all out prep for the Zombie Apocalypse (aka any apocalyptic culture ending event) you should warehouse valuable staples like salt and peppercorns and other spices for trade.

4 Likes Save    

A dear relative, when prepping for y2k, assured me that coffee, tea, aspirin, and toothpaste were to be the most valuable commodities.

We were stuck with Pepsodent for years. Unfortunately toothpaste never goes bad (nor, in the case of Pepsodent, does it improve with age).

2 Likes Save    
Bookwoman(7a PA)

I'm with FOAS: we could manage until (next) Friday. We always have plenty of peanut butter and a few canned and frozen things on hand, but we mostly eat fresh food and go shopping every few days. We don't live in an area with extreme weather; the heaviest snowfall might have us housebound for 24-48 hours until our driveway gets plowed, but that's about it.
Our children are grown, so I would certainly have more in the house if they still lived here, but as it is I just can't get exercised about possible apocalyptic scenarios.

3 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

If the grocery stores are closed, everybody knows who keeps chickens down the road.

You'll going to be having company.

For sure, we know that but I am not going to lose sleep over something that maybe, might happen.

Everyone will be a target, even those of you with stock piles hidden in your basements, thieves will not be selective and will start closest to home.

2 Likes Save    
llucy

patricia_gw (07): If you were going all out prep for the Zombie Apocalypse (aka any apocalyptic culture ending event) you should warehouse valuable staples like salt and peppercorns and other spices for trade.

YES. People will be willing to trade food grown/caught for things that help make such food taste better. Cooperation.

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Right Llucy, I am talking the long haul. Life as we know it is over, Billions are dead, the remnants of human population cluster in barricades forts and go out to scavenge covered in lots of black accessorized with lots of heavy net, straps, studs and buckles ( I have always wondered why) with their hair gooped up into decorative and colorful spikes. They waste precious resources razzing around all day and when they get home want to have salt on their eggs. After both of the last two world wars people traded things like jewelry and gold for basics like potatoes but potatoes don't keep.

3 Likes Save    
haydayhayday

Miss Lindsey:

"I can’t disagree with your last post Hay. I too chafe at bureaucracy (in fact I can’t even spell the word on the first try, thanks spellcheck).

However I’m also averse to relying on the good will of corporations like Walmart that have no accountability to the community and wantonly destroy local businesses, exploit workers, and fail to hold manufacturers responsible for managing the earth’s resources responsibly.

What I would like to see is elected governments streamlined to the same efficiency as private corporations. I realize that is a utopian pipe dream."

You're funny. Once again, saying one thing and then, in this case, contradicting pretty much everything I did say.

Corporations depend on goodwill. They're in it for the long run. They don't wantonly destroy local business. They make things cheaper for you. They don't exploit workers. People walk in and apply for the jobs. And the governments are hardly doing much more than flying around for a meet and greet when it comes to managing the earth's resources responsibly.

"I realize that is a utopian pipe dream."

It's nonsense.

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

ubro:

"For sure, we know that but I am not going to lose sleep over something that maybe, might happen."

When I'm pondering this thread over the past day, I keep thinking how funny it is that, usually, the word around here is.....

"Insurance, Insurance...We're all going to die if we don't ALL have medical insurance, insurance....insurance...."

But, on this thread, there is now a lot of:

"For sure, we know that but I am not going to lose sleep over something that maybe, might happen."

Hay

Save    

I'm stocked up with rhizomatous begonias and bromeliads . . . and beans that need to be soaked like forever. (I'm hiding the pressure cooker from the hordes.)

1 Like Save    
haydayhayday

So I got a couple hundred dollars worth of literal dollar bills.

Rather cheap "medical insurance" in my mind. Cost? Nothing. Pretty cheap, don't you think?

Means I can avoid getting back germ-laden dirty money when and if this exponentially growing epidemic reaches us. Otherwise, I get a 100% refund!

I always keep a pair of regular old cheap leather gloves in the floor of my car, primarily to avoid handling the gas pump when I'm pumping. I got started doing that to avoid getting the smell of gas on my hands just as I'm heading to the next dance. It's a difficult smell to wash away.

But, they'll come in handy, too, when I need to go into a store and don't want to touch the same knob that 500 other people just touched.

Gas containers ready to go when it's time.

I actually like thinking about life after the Zombies.

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

It's easy to see how people are really more like Zombies than Zombies are.

Merrily rolling along. Ready to be marched off to their doom.

Pollyanna Survival Kits in hand.

I actually like thinking about life after the Zombies.

Hay

Save    

Yes, “however” does usually signal a contradiction coming.

Enjoy your apocalypse.

Save    
haydayhayday

"Yes, “however” does usually signal a contradiction coming."

You're very good at it.

Say one thing and then contradict it. Essentially saying nothing in the process.

You're funny.

I do love a good apocalypse.

Too bad we're only allowed just one.

We won't be able to learn from our mistakes.

Hay

Save    
HamiltonGardener

I remember years ago we had discussions on this forum about prepping.

I can’t remember who said it, but they pointed out that all these prepers who made sure they had The stockpiles and skills to survive the doomsday scenario...they all seemed almost eager to prove how they were going to survive and others weren’t. In their opinion, these people were losers in real life and they were waiting for the day when they would be “kings”, and the winners in life. This doomsday fantasy provided that opportunity to people.

Anybody remember that conversation? It was years ago, before houzz...

Save    
haydayhayday

The paranoia gene survives because every hundred years or so, only the paranoid survive.

Besides, it's fun to think about.

There's money to made understanding human nature and their foibles.

Nothing like a disaster to see it all magnify itself.

I've noticed, too, that it's given us a break from Climate Change, Climate change, Climate......CHANGE!

The new Zombie in town.

Hay

Save    
ubro(2a)

"Insurance, Insurance...We're all going to die if we don't ALL have medical insurance, insurance....insurance...."

But, on this thread, there is now a lot of:

We can see what happens when people don't have medical insurance or coverage, we can change laws to help. We know the the costs both to the economy and to people.

We cannot put in laws to prevent certain disasters from happening, in many cases we cannot do anything until the disaster is upon us.

That is the difference. In the first case we have control, in the second we do not.

Save    
haydayhayday

"That is the difference. In the first case we have control, in the second we do not."

Which makes absolutely no sense at all.

////////////////////////////////////

I love exponential charts.

2 infect 4 infect 8 infect 16....

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

Hay

1 Like Save    

The power of 2. :-)

I like apocalyptic stories too; they are great thought experiments.

Save    
haydayhayday

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/15/world/asia/coronavirus-china-live-updates.html

"China’s banks scramble to disinfect cash.

The central banking authorities of China are disinfecting, stashing and reportedly even destroying cash in an effort to stop the spread of the coronavirus.

Fan Yifei, deputy governor of the People’s Bank of China, said at a news conference on Saturday that the cash collected by commercial banks must be disinfected before being released back to customers.

Cash collected from hospitals and food markets must be handled separately and disinfected before depositing the notes to the People’s Bank of China, Mr. Fan said. In severely hit regions, the collected cash must undergo ultraviolet or high-temperature disinfection and be stored for 14 days before going back to the market, he added. In less impacted areas, the bank notes must be disinfected and stored for a week before use.

A People’s Bank of China branch in the southern city of Guangzhou is even destroying bank notes that came from hospitals, food markets and public transportation, according to a report by Nanfang, a state-owned outlet in Guangdong province.

Many people in major Chinese cities primarily use their smartphones to pay for just about anything, increasingly rendering cash obsolete. But hundreds of millions of people in the country are not connected to the internet, and some older residents still prefer cash."

Hay:

"I will stockpile some cash. While it's still untainted with your killer germs. Small bills to go along with my jars of coins that I always manage to accumulate. The trick is to avoid contact and exact change will allow me to pay in exact cash and not get back any filthy, dirty money."

Helpful tips from HayLouise to help you get through the day.

Hay

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Disaster Prep & Recovery How to Prepare Your Family for a Natural Disaster
Plan with your children what to do in case of a hurricane, flood, tornado, wildfire or blizzard or an earthquake
Full Story
Disaster Prep & Recovery How to Prepare for and Live With a Power Outage
When electricity loss puts food, water and heat in jeopardy, don't be in the dark about how to stay as safe and comfortable as possible
Full Story
Disaster Prep & Recovery How to Protect Your Home From a Natural Disaster
Find out the basic steps every homeowner should take to prepare for the worst
Full Story