SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Do you have a tennis bracelet?

Sueb20
4 years ago

DH is asking what I want for our upcoming 30th anniversary. I’ve been thinking about a diamond tennis bracelet for the last couple of years — one that‘s dainty enough to wear every day and in combination with other bracelets. I don’t care if they’re “in style” or not. I think I need to just go try some on and see if it feels right, but wonder if any of you have one that you wear a lot?

Another option is to wait and buy something in Venice this spring (anniversary trip). No idea what the offerings will be like there, but might be nice to commemorate the trip with something sparkly.

Yes, I am spoiled.

Side note: what have you given your husbands for significant anniversaries? I am having a hard time coming up with good ideas. He basically buys what he wants, and doesn’t really wear jewelry.

Comments (46)

• tinam61
    4 years ago

No tennis bracelet here. But, I am not a lover of diamonds.

We celebrated our 38 anniversary recently. We took a long weekend away just to enjoy time to ourselves. We really do not do anniversary gifts anymore, but usually will get away to celebrate. If there was something I really wanted, my husband would buy it, as I am another who is spoiled. I think you reach a time where gifts are not so important anymore (or maybe it's that we already have so. much. stuff!). One of the things I treasure most is the letters my husband has written me. They always make me cry!!

• eileenc
    4 years ago

I have one, 3 carats, very simple. I never remove it. It was given to me by my first husband (deceased) and I treasure it.

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Swarvoski Crystal Bracelets for birdhouses

Q

Comments (3)
    I have 2 or 3 new decorated bird houses. Love Swarovski, so we may be able to make a trade. My favorite colors are greens and purples. Here is a link that might be useful: Trade List
    ...See More

Photos of my bracelets

Q

Comments (7)
    Thanks so much! you guys give me some much needed selfconfidence! Sal I was talking about the crimp beads looking auful,Iam in need of new glasses couldnt even see how bad they looked till i enlarged the picture. Ginger you are just to nice! I so appreciate all of your help, and patience with me while I learn, I knew there had to be something I was not doing, that would make them look nicer. I had some of the silver plated covers from a kit , they looked cheap and I didnt know what they were for, you should be a teacher! I have been checking out your new line of jewerly and of course everything is so beautiful!!!! I will have to wait till I pay off christmas before I can order something for my sd b-day she so loves jewerly and I know something in your line would so make her day. thanks agine for all your help! oh had to tell you I have lived all over the U.S and some of the nices people I ever met lived in Ga, there is something about that southern hospitality! Tomushglass , thank you! Iam waiting to see more photos of your jewery! and see what you desided to use for a chain,please show us. Cheri Thank you! I love seeing everyones work you are all so unique in your crafting! Happy crafting oddie
    ...See More

Story Bracelets

Q

Comments (9)
    The special tools/other items you might need depend on what kind of bracelet you want. It sounds like you already have an idea of what you want your bracelet to look like. You could string the beads on elastic or leather or ribbon - in which case you would mostly need to tie some knots at the end. You could attach your beads to a silver chain or create your own findings. Working with wire, you'll need something to shape it and something to cut it. A good place to start mighht be your local craft store/bead shop or adult ed program. Try taking a class on jewelry making. That should give you some ideas for assembly. This is a cool idea - I like the way you are telling your personal story. Here is a link that might be useful: craftfetish blog
    ...See More

50 things to do with tennis balls....

Q

Comments (4)
    Forgive me; I have to post this! LOL You can see if you can balance a tennis ball in your mouth using only one tooth. (Sometimes Harry carries a second tennis ball on the other side of his mouth.)
    ...See More
  • 3katz4me
    4 years ago

I don't have one but I wouldn't mind getting one. I was looking at them the other day while waiting for my watch battery to be replaced at the jewelry store. We usually go somewhere for our major anniversaries and don't give gifts - just cards.

• User
    4 years ago

I have a yellow gold diamond and sapphire bracelet my in laws gave me when our first child (their first grandchild) was born. I never wear it because it is heavy. I have diamond and sapphire earrings and my engagement and wedding bands are in the same stones, so I can’t really use all the stones for other pieces for myself. Considering taking the stones and making a 3 like pendants for DD, me and my mother. Also, when I graduated high school I was given a white gold and diamond tennis bracelet that I never wore because it pulled at the hairs on my arm and really hurt. I had no idea how expensive it was at the time and it disappeared in one of my college moves. Haven’t missed it.

• Feathers11
    4 years ago

I've had one for about 20 years. It's a classic look, and if it appeals to you, I'd get one. It's something that can be passed down to children and grandchildren.

• OllieJane
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

My mom had one, which is now passed down to my sister and I love it! I would wear it everyday if I had it. Her tennis bracelet was gold with the diamonds-I have no idea how many carats, but it's beautiful.

I think they are (back) in style, especially if worn with other very nice bracelets. And, also, worn alone with a classic simple outfit.

• User
    4 years ago

I definitely think they are still in style, very classic and something you can pass along to your daughter.

• blfenton
    4 years ago

Kswl2 - My Mom did that. My dad had, through the years, given my mom an add-to bracelet. Each section was a diamond shape and the four corners each had a diamond in it. My dad died a number of years and a few years after that my mom had the bracelet taken apart and had each section made into a pendant necklace. There were five sections - one for each of the four daughters and one for her. I seldom wear mine (I don't wear jewellery) but my three sisters wear theirs all the time.

Sueb20 - I don;t know if you have kids and if that's something that you would consider. Our pendants are of huge sentimental value and I wish I had something like that to hand down to the partners of my sons.

• localeater
    4 years ago

DH and I don’t do gifts very much. For one birthday I got him a nice watch. Couple hundred dollars, He would want anything more extravagant than that. He still wears it. I have also gotten hi, a Garmin watch, he likes to look at his hiking or running route, like in the commercial where the guy runs in a heart shape.

Our 30th is next year, no tennis bracelet so I can’t offer any experience.

• chispa
    4 years ago

Have one and wear it all the time with 2 other gold/diamond bracelets. Just broke it yesterday while doing some heavy lifting around the house, so I need to drop it off at the jeweler today to get it repaired.

• Bonnie
    4 years ago

I have a diamond tennis bracelet for many years and don’t wear it as often as I used to, mostly because I live in athleisure clothing these days. It’s a classic piece that goes with everything and is a great layering bracelet. I say go for it and enjoy the bling!

When In Venice you can shop for something fun that you both like. We are going to Venice in May and I’m already planning a murano glass purchase.

• blfenton
    4 years ago

When we were in Venice years ago, we went to a glass making display and the firm also did glass etching. We had some wine glasses etched with birds in flight and then had them shipped home (yes, they made it safely) and that's a great remembrance.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

I do. I've had it for prob 20 years but I don't wear bracelets much, as my first choice is a watch and I don't want to wear too much overall (when you start w 3 rings you need to avoid Christmas tree territory). Recently saw one in Costco of all places! I'm so jaded about jewelry pricing I just might try them.

I would get a Fortuny silk lamp in Venice. When I last went we had just done our house top to bottom and had no place for one, but I've always thought them lovely. I have a murano pitcher I just love; its uncharacteristically colorful for me.

BTW, for those of you mentioning giving your own jewelry to children, would you do that as a gift? Somehow, and I know this is odd, it seems like "cheating."

• Feathers11
    4 years ago

I would love to wear bracelets more, including my tennis bracelet, but I don't like how they clang around when I'm typing on the computer.

Mtn, I haven't thought about how I would give my jewelry to my children, only that I will do so some day. But I do think "gifting" is an appropriate word. A gift doesn't have to be purchased.

• maire_cate
    4 years ago

I don't use the term 'tennis bracelet' because they have been around long before Chris Evert lost hers during a match which is how the 'tennis' moniker became popular. Before that they were simply diamond bracelets or eternity bracelets.

One of mine is from the 1920's, it's very delicate, the diamonds are round European cut, in a handmade platinum setting with engraving and beading on the sides. The jeweler's receipt from the original sale referred to it as a diamond line bracelet. My newer one has princess cut diamonds in a yellow gold flexible channel setting and it's very easy to wear with other bracelets.

As for 'gifting' jewelry - it is indeed a gift.

There's nothing wrong with Costco diamonds as long as they come with a GIA.
    Blue Nile is also a good source. We've been dealing with the same
    private jeweler for 40 years and he and DH have discussed the relative values offered from those sources.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have 3 kids but only one girl — she’s going to end up with a wheelbarrow fulla jewelry when I go!

Bonnie — maybe I’ll see you there!!

• czarinalex
    4 years ago

I don't have one, but I'm making one! Not real diamonds of course. It's made with swarovski crystals. Hard to see in the picture, but it's very sparkly.

• maire_cate
    4 years ago

Sueb - I also have one girl and 2 sons and I haven't figured out how I am going to handle distribution when the time comes. My DD seldom dresses up and while I know that may change later she is a minimalist and prefers small pieces. My DDIL would be happy with anything I gave her and was thrilled when I lent her earrings and a bracelet for a wedding she was attending. I have already given both of them smaller diamond studs when I received larger ones. Somehow I'd like to divide things evenly and if my other son marries at least it can go 3 ways.

• blfenton
    4 years ago

When my mom redid the bracelet that my dad gave her through the years, she gave it to us as a Christmas gift. It was indeed a gift given from the heart to her daughters.

I don't understand the "cheating" reference.

• Bonnie
    4 years ago

I have 3 daughters and have already started gifting jewelry to them, mostly when I upgrade. One DD is particularly fond of jewelry and has been the recipient of a few of my pieces. The other two are more sentimental and have taken a few of my late mother‘s pieces. The last time we visited our estate planning attorney he encouraged us to gift away while we are here to enjoy seeing it.

ETA, I’m off to the jewelers now because I lost a diamond out of a wrap I always wear with my engagement and wedding rings. I am sick about it, but fortunately it is not a large stone. This is the first casualty I have had with this 3 ring set that never leaves my hand. It’s a reminder about the importance of prong checks.

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    4 years ago

I don't have a tennis bracelet but I do think they are pretty. I don't like wearing anything on my wrists. My mom has one that she will probably give to my niece or one of her grandson's wives.

My older DS is getting married and I gave him a marquise diamond to make an engagement ring.

• gsciencechick
    4 years ago

Yeah, I don't really wear bracelets anymore. They tend to get caught on things.

For our 10th anniversary, I got a rose gold anniversary band. DH got a professional auto detail.

• maddielee
    4 years ago

I have one, a Christmas gift from my husband in 1996. I have lost it twice, luckily both times at functions that had honest people. I wear it a lot, I like the look of it with my watch.

• jojoco
    4 years ago

I would buy one in a heartbeat. I don’t wear much jewelry, but a tennis bracelet is timeless and elegant.

We were in Venice for a week two years ago and really didn’t bring home much. Murano glass beads aren’t really my thing, not is lace and I didn’t want a Venetian mask for our walls. I did bring home a beautiful scarf with hand embroidered polka dots and a pair of gondolier shoes, also handmade, with real bicycle tire treads. They are very elegant in a champagne colored velvet. But here’s the thing, you’ll soon notice that all the gondoliers actually wear black sneakers. Oh well, mine are cute.

• maire_cate
    4 years ago

czarinalex - I hope you post your bracelet when it's finished - it looks very intricate.

• dedtired
    4 years ago

I have what I consider a modified tennis bracelet. The diamonds are small, just one step above chips. There are also gold links between the diamonds, so,it’s not the chain of diamonds I associate with a true tennis bracelet. I love it though, mostly because it’s pretty but also because it was an unexpected gift.

i also have this one which is glass, but I swear I cannot tell that it’s not real. Well, maybe. Oh, and excuse my socks.

• rubyclaire
    4 years ago

I don't have one but now I want one...

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Let me just say I do appreciate everyone’s thoughts and feedback. I now have the flu so I just don’t have the energy to reply in more detail. 😷 I definitely need to try on a few bracelets to see how they feel on my wrist.

• vc01
    4 years ago

Lol, "veering into Christmas tree territory". Definitely guilty of that occasionally. But I rationalize it, and tell people I have a magpie problem. "Ooh sparkles!!" Magpie see, magpie wants.

• Bethpen
    4 years ago

I have one, DH bought it for me for our 10th anniversary. I like to wear it stacked with other gold bracelets. I don't wear it often though. I'm a service manager at an oil company. Work wardrobe can be sweatshirt and jeans some days. We don't often go anyplace fancy, but I sure like having some sparkles. :)

When thinking about passing jewelry down, I'll leave most to my daughter, but some to my son and I have a couple pieces saved for my niece. My mom has started giving me different pieces that she's had for years, cameos and a gorgeous gold pocket watch that was my great grandfather's I think she is nervous about losing them. I've got them stashed. Mostly I wear diamond studs, wedding band and ring, and a band with diamonds that I had made when I had the original tennis bracelet re-sized after I lost weight. (I could use some of that slack now..)

Sueb20 thanked Bethpen
  • texanjana
    4 years ago

Hope you feel better, Sue. I have two tennis bracelets that were gifts from DH many years ago. I wear them occasionally. My mom had a gorgeous one that she gave to our DD. Mom doesn’t wear jewelry anymore.

Sueb20 thanked texanjana
  • miniscule
    4 years ago

Love my tennis bracelet. It is dainty as you are thinking and I often wear it layered with my gold watch and other gold bracelets. Bracelets every day for me:) Hope you are feeling better and enjoy Venice.

Sueb20 thanked miniscule
  • chispa
    4 years ago

If you try some on, make sure you test how "catchy" it is against some fuzzy fabric. Some can be really bad and catch/snag on all kinds of fabrics and others don't.

Sueb20 thanked chispa
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

In re my "cheating comment." I guess it comes from being very scrupulous about gifting my kids equally for equal occasions. I'm not sure If I gave a DD a piece of good jewelry, how to look at it in that light. I'd really struggle to think of anything to give DS that he would want of equal value.

• maire_cate
    4 years ago

Mtn - I thought you meant cheating as in re-gifting something that you didn't want. That would bother me as well.

Giving equally is something else and that is always something that concerned us. It was easier and even a teaching moment when they were younger and if one received a bicycle as a present we reminded them that it would equal out.

Mine are well into adulthood now (late 30's and even one who has gasped - oh horrors - hit 40) but I have to recognize that they still have retained some of that childhood jealousy - I'm not sure that's the right word - but I would be naive if I didn't think that they mentally balance out gift giving. So far it has worked out but it can tricky. One son loves expensive watches the other hasn't worn one since high school. The Christmas I gave a piece of jewelry to DD and DDIL the boys received something of fairly equal value.

• jill302
    4 years ago

Yes, I have a tennis bracelet that I received from DH for our 10th anniversary. A couple of days ago I was thinking I should wear it more often. I like the idea of using it along with other bracelets, have not worn it that way before.

• blfenton
    4 years ago

I agree that when it comes to Christmas I am scrupulous when it comes to evening out the gifts between my sons and their partners. I do it by amt spent (when they were toddlers it was done by how many gifts were they getting under the tree) :) I wouldn't call it cheating.

I thought you meant giving jewellery that you no longer wear or something that you know they would enjoy to your daughters as gifts now as opposed to them not getting it until you die.

• dedtired
    4 years ago

Your son may have a daughter some day, who would be thrilled to have grandmother’s jewelry. I would not give all the good stuff exclusively to your daughter.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    4 years ago

I love the look and feel of a tennis bracelet. My next anything will be 14, 18 k with CZs. I feel Just over fine jewelry. I don’t have a lot, but it’s enough to enjoy and pass down. I’ve had things stolen, and lost some over the years. i just hate the feeling that brings to my heart and pit of my stomach, iykwim.

p.s. It’s said that only a jeweler’s eye can tell the difference between a good cz and the real thing, but unsure if that’s true.

• Allison0704
    4 years ago

Feel better, Sue. DH gave me a tennis bracelet a million moons ago. I rarely wore it, so I had it made into two eternity bands (18kt yellow gold and the other white gold). As she got older, our mother gifted her jewelry to us each year. None of us wore what she gave us since my dad was not happy about her gifting. I just left five rings with a local jewelry designer, taking 5 pieces and turning into 5 rings, 2 necklaces and a bracelet... and still leftover bits for more later. It was fun designing the new pieces with her. I still have more things to think about redesigning, including a 10ct tennis bracelet. I think that's going to be split between 3 or 4 of us.

Back to your 30th anniversary and Venice. When my parents went, she bought several glass bead long necklaces. fwiw, I love love love the Fortuny silk Scheherazade Geometric chandelier in our MBR, and the long pillows for the bed made from Fortuny fabric.

• eld6161
    4 years ago

I have one from when they first came on the scene. I did wear it more then.

I don’t wear it often but enjoy when I do.

I think the question you should ask yourself is if you will wear it often or wear it once in a while? Which makes the most sense to you.

• LynnNM
    4 years ago

I don’t because most bracelets tend to irritate me. I have 3 large, gorgeous Native American bracelets/wrist cuffs (2 turquoise and one amethyst) that I seldom wear because they bother me when my arm is resting on anything. I also have a gold dress watch rimmed in diamonds with a beautiful diamond wrist band. Same thing. As for passing my good jewelry on to my children, I’ve already started. With only one son and one daughter, and a LOT of nice jewelry, I’m happy to see our daughter wearing some of it now. The very expensive pieces though, I’m hanging on to, but only because she lives in an apartment and I worry about break-ins. And, yes, I know that houses can be just as vulnerable. I guess I’m also a bit paranoid (LOL)!

• artemis_ma
    4 years ago

Trying to figure out what IS a tennis bracelet? A bracelet with a little keepsake tennis racket out of some brasslike material hanging off of it?

I have no interest in tennis whatsoever.

• cyn427 NoVaZone7
    4 years ago

Google it, Artemis, if you really don't know. ;-)

• bpath
    4 years ago

I don’t, but I would love one.