SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

I'm about to reveal my vast ignorance re mobile phones and SIM cards

IdaClaire
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

The last time I traveled to the UK, my Samsung was still "locked" to my carrier's contract, and said carrier did not allow me to use the phone for calls and texts in the UK. I could, however, use data and was able to connect to the WiFi in our accommodation and used Skype to keep in touch with folks back home.

On my upcoming trip, I will take the same phone, which has now been unlocked by my carrier. My carrier does NOT provide call coverage in the UK. But now that the phone is unlocked, I'll be able to purchase a UK SIM card, which is something I would like to do before we depart home, as I want to hit the ground running in the UK with the ability to make and receive calls and texts. This is particularly important to me as I'll have my elderly mother in tow, and we need to be able to make fairly immediate contact with our driver upon arrival.

I know that there are outlets for ordering UK SIM cards and having them delivered ahead of time, so that I can be prepared. I understand that Vodafone, Three, and GiffGaff are just some of the companies that offer this service, and that they all (I believe) allow for unlimited calls and texts to UK numbers when I'm within the UK.

What I don't understand is how it works when I call or text from the UK to the US ... that's not included in the unlimited minutes/data, so how DOES it work? I assume there's a cost associated with such calls and texts, but how do I pay for that?

I will likely still use Skype to connect with the UK, but want the added flexibility of being able to call or text when we're out and about and not connected to WiFi.

I know I'm incredibly obtuse when it comes to stuff like this, but if anyone can shed some light I would be most appreciative.

Comments (21)