Now more than 100 troops with traumatic brain injuries

chipotle

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. military is preparing to report a more than 50% jump in cases of traumatic brain injury stemming from Iran’s missile attack on a base in Iraq last month, U.S. officials told Reuters on Monday.

SaveComment25Like
Comments (25)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

TBI is cause for concern with possible long-term adverse effects.

Traumatic Brain Injury from the Mayo Clinic - https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/traumatic-brain-injury/symptoms-causes/syc-20378557?p=1

Save    
Nana H

Trump says they just have headaches. Next he will say soldiers with headaches are losers.

Has he yet acknowledged these wounded soldiers? Has he yet called out the Saudi soldier who committed a terrorist act on an American base a terrorist?

This as he steals money from the DOD for his 1 mile of new wall, publicly humiliates a Purple Heart recipient and elevates a war criminal to campaign member status

He is a disgrace as CIC.

9 Likes Save    
haydayhayday

What they're calling TBI, in this particular case, is exactly what would have been called Shell Shock back in the days of WWI

https://www.google.com/search?q=shell+shock&rlz=1C1PRFI_enUS855US855&oq=shell+shock+&aqs=chrome..69i57.2558j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

When you explode a shell nearby, you set up a tremendous force of air and air waves. There's nothing more than soft tissue between that force and your brain.

Pick up a jar of jello and shake it as vigorously as you can.

That's your brain hitting the sides of the jar.

Hay

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Heart breaking. I hope killing that Iranian general was worth the cost.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

I think " shell shock" was what we now call post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) the link you provide supports that. Different from a traumatic brain injury.

Traumatic brain injury is more like a serious concussion not unlike a football head injury but more intense.

8 Likes Save    
ohiomom

You are correct Nana H .. PTSD more closely describes shell shock.

Shell shock is a term originally coined in 1915 by Charles Myers to describe soldiers who were involuntarily shivering, crying, fearful, and had constant intrusions of memory. It is not a term used in psychiatric practice today but remains in everyday use. Source: Psychology Today

1 Like Save    
socks(10a)

Heartbreaking. Certainly some if not most will have lifelong affects.

1 Like Save    
Toby

Why is this coming out in drip drip drip fashion? Was Trump unaware of the number and nature of the injured? Or was he hiding it and why?

1 Like Save    
mudhouse

The Pentagon declined to comment but, in the past, had said to expect an
increase in numbers in the weeks after the attack because symptoms can
take time to manifest and troops can sometimes take longer to report
them.

https://www.geo.tv/latest/271666-us-officials-say-over-100-troops-diagnosed-with-traumatic-brain-injuries-from-iran-attack

Save    
haydayhayday

Nana:
I think " shell shock" was what we now call post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) the link you provide supports that. Different from a traumatic brain injury.

Traumatic brain injury is more like a serious concussion not unlike a football head injury but more intense.

Not at all that important what we call it. Certainly not to the poor soldiers suffering from it.

But, for the inquiring minds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_shock

During the early stages of World War I in 1914, soldiers from the British Expeditionary Force began to report medical symptoms after combat, including tinnitus, amnesia, headaches, dizziness, tremors, and hypersensitivity to noise. While these symptoms resembled those that would be expected after a physical wound to the brain, many of those reporting sick showed no signs of head wounds. By December 1914 as many as 10% of British officers and 4% of enlisted men were suffering from "nervous and mental shock".

The term "shell shock" came into use to reflect an assumed link between the symptoms and the effects of explosions from artillery shells. The term was first published in 1915 in an article in The Lancet by Charles Myers. Some 60–80% of shell shock cases displayed acute neurasthenia, while 10% displayed what would now be termed symptoms of conversion disorder, including mutism and fugue.

The number of shell shock cases grew during 1915 and 1916 but it remained poorly understood medically and psychologically. Some doctors held the view that it was a result of hidden physical damage to the brain, with the shock waves from bursting shells creating a cerebral lesion that caused the symptoms and could potentially prove fatal. Another explanation was that shell shock resulted from poisoning by the carbon monoxide formed by explosions.

Hay

1 Like Save    
mudhouse

So, it looks like the term "shell shock" has been used in a variety of ways.

I'm glad the troops are coming forward to receive the treatment they need. There might be a tendency for some to not want to admit they need medical assistance, at first.

1 Like Save    
haydayhayday

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abusive_head_trauma

Shaken baby syndrome.

The brain was not meant to be shaken, rocked or rolled. In no way, shape or form.

Hay

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

What has Trump said recently on this? His last commenting was about head ache complaining....

Save    
haydayhayday

I think I remember, but I'm going to go look for it, that this enormous explosion happened, literally within a few feet of some of the soldiers.

Literally.

One report I read was one soldier saying words to the effect.

I HAVE NEVER HEARD such a loud noise! I just can't even begine to imagine how loud it would have been.

So loud that every bone in your body is vibrating away.

And I thought it was bad when I went to hear Joe Cocker. I had no clue.

Hay

Save    
Nana H

That is no doubt that the explosions from the bombs caused these very real brain injuries no matter what name we give them.

The more important point is that these soldiers have been injured. Yesteray we learned of the death of two American soldiers in Afghanistan. Trump is quick to speak of all his " records" well how about claiming the most soldiers deaths in Afghanistan since 2014.

Maybe Trump will honor these soldiers, the wounded and the dead, in his rally tonight.........if he mentions them at all my bet it will be to minimize them.

3 Likes Save    
chipotle

What has Trump said recently on this? His last commenting was about head ache complaining....

Haven't heard a peep since.

1 Like Save    
barncatz

I did not realize Trump was rallying again tonight and boy was I suprised to read this. Do you think they stole the idea from the Queen's Olympic entrance?

The president, vice president and a throng of Trump campaign officials and surrogates were all parachuting into New Hampshire on the eve of the first-in-the-nation presidential primary to take some of the spotlight away from the Democrats.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-supporters-new-hampshire-rally

Save    
Nana H

His not to bright base will go bananas...his brighter base will likely silently say...really?

Honestly, if he has the guts to jump from a plane with a parachute I'll be surprised and give him one .

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Preferably Kissinger’s.

1 Like Save    
mudhouse

The term "parachuting in" has been used to indicate a candidate arriving in a state before an event (like the NH primary) where he hasn't been campaigning on the ground before, like other candidates. It just means he's "dropping in" suddenly unlike others who have already been there working.

From another article: Waukee (United States) (AFP) – US President Donald Trump parachuted into Iowa on Thursday to scorch “radical” Democrats days before the state kicks off their party’s nomination process, telling voters the opposition will suffer another crushing defeat in November’s election.

It doesn't mean he's jumping from an airplane with a parachute. I'll admit it's kind of a funny use of the word.

Save    
foodonastump

Have a little fun, mudhouse! Did you get my reference?

1 Like Save    
mudhouse

Sorry food...my brain has always been wired to take things too literally, since I was a kid. I do my best! I did think using the word that way was kind of odd (hadn't seen it used that way much.)

No, I don't get the Kissinger reference (but no need to spoil it for others, I'll work on it.) I'm sure the problem is on my end, not yours!

Save    
haydayhayday

Mudhouse:

"No, I don't get the Kissinger reference (but no need to spoil it for others, I'll work on it.) I'm sure the problem is on my end, not yours!"

When you give up:

https://boards.fool.com/oldest-political-joke-i-know-23099279.aspx?sort=threaded

Hay

Save    
mudhouse

Thank you Hay! I'd never have gotten there on my own. :-)

Save    
barncatz

Oldie but goodie, food. Nice of you to dig up the cite, Hay.

I was too lazy to see if video of the Queen's jump was available - another old joke. :)

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Design Details 3 Ways LED Lights Are Better Than Ever
See how improved technology has made LED lightbulbs smaller, brighter and more colorful
Full Story
Most Popular How to Give Your Driveway and Front Walk More Curb Appeal
Prevent injuries and tire damage while making a great first impression by replacing or repairing front paths
Full Story
Bedrooms Room of the Day: Storage Attic Now an Uplifting Master Suite
Tired of sharing a bathroom with their 2 teenage kids, this couple moves on up to a former attic space
Full Story