Conspiracy theories on the rise...was that a "Q"?

Annie Deighnaugh

MILWAUKEE (AP) — President Donald Trump was more than halfway through his speech at a rally in Milwaukee when one of his hand gestures caught the eye of a supporter standing in the packed arena.

The 51-year-old woman believed the president had traced the shape of the letter “Q” with his fingers as a covert signal to followers of QAnon, a right-wing, pro-Trump conspiracy theory. She turned to the couple on her right and excitedly asked, “Did you see the ‘Q’?”

“He just did it?” asked Diane Jacobson, 63, of Racine, Wisconsin.

“Was that a ‘Q’?” added Jacobson’s husband, Randy, 64...

What started as an online obsession for the far-right fringe has grown beyond its origins in a dark corner of the internet. QAnon has been creeping into the mainstream political arena for more than a year. The trend shows no sign of abating as Trump fires up his reelection campaign operation, attracting a loyal audience of conspiracy theorists and other fringe groups to his raucous rallies.

Trump has retweeted QAnon-promoting accounts. Followers flock to Trump’s rallies wearing clothes and hats with QAnon symbols and slogans. At least 23 current or former congressional candidates in the 2020 election cycle have endorsed or promoted QAnon, according to the liberal watchdog Media Matters for America, which compiled online evidence to support its running tally....

Conspiracy theories are nothing new, but experts fear the powerful engine of social media and a volatile political climate have ramped up the threat of violence. An FBI bulletin in May warned that conspiracy theory-driven extremists have become a domestic terrorism threat. The bulletin specifically mentions QAnon.

https://apnews.com/e230131513bf3df60c76bb1151bc6b7c?fbclid=IwAR3wUrP8Ue6Ch42fgTdLSO8u7qrVN0lxLN4Sbqu1X1CLC9lfyINLmVdhja0

It's going to be a rough campaign season and the biggest loser is going to be truth.

SaveComment17Like3
Comments (17)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nana H

The QAnon site is unbelievable.....figuratively and literally.

1 Like Save    
Toby

A subcult of the Trump cult.

Save    
socks(10a)

People see what they want to see. Mary on a piece of toast. In this case as above, scary. We are in a bad place with this “leader.”

2 Likes Save    
zmith

The domestic terrorism threat is in the WH.

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

I started a thread on this too, I didn’t know you had one. It is definitely concerning especially when I see people here believing the conspiracy theories from The QAnon.

2 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

There’s an article in the NYT today about QAnon but they have a paywall so I couldn’t read it. If someone with access wants to post the link, I’m sure it’s informative.

Save    
Kathy

If someone has a link I will delete these posts. Try this link on Apple news. It is on my thread too.

https://apple.news/AHZQVs_vkR4etiFjHzwbBKA

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

About a dozen candidates for public office in the United States have promoted or dabbled in QAnon, and its adherents have been arrested in at least seven episodes, including a murder in New York and an armed standoff with the police near the Hoover Dam.

Please say this isn't so!

[Now is a good time to remind HTers that the soldier accusing Vindman of being a leftist is a follower of QAnon.]

3 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

In San Juan Capistrano, Calif., Pam Patterson, a city council member, invoked QAnon in her farewell speech to the body in December 2018, reciting a Q posting as if it were Scripture.

Thank heavens she's leaving the city council.

Save    
Kathy

Recently, during a daylong Twitter binge, Mr. Trump retweeted more than 20 postsfrom accounts that had trafficked in QAnon material.

Save    
Kathy

Was anyone able to access the NYT from the Apple link?

Save    
Joaniepoanie

Yes, I could access it and thanks Kathy for posting.

Save    
ohiomom

.......and the person in the people's house gives them legitimacy, at least in his and their minds.

"tales of Democrats’ secretly torturing and killing children to extract a life-extending chemical from their blood"

Really? What are they smoking?

(^_^)

1 Like Save    
Kathy

I will delete those long posts. I couldn’t delete one for some reason.

Save    
cattyles

Any trump supporters here follow QAnon? I asked on another thread. I didn’t realize Annie had started a thread about it.

Save    
paprikash

Well I never heard of QAnon or, for that matter, 4tram or inappropriate frogs or inappropriate dress designs. I’ve never met a Russian troll either. I guess I lead a very sheltered life

eta. I’m not up on hand signals either. Ok just means okay to me and mine

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

cattyles

Any trump supporters here follow QAnon? I asked on another thread.

I asked you on the other thread why do you care? What will it do for your life?

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Traditional Style 10 Recipes for Shabby Chic Style
Rustic furniture, floral fabrics, sparkling chandeliers. Here are 10 easy ways to bring the romantic cottage look into your home
Full Story
Know Your House Insulation Basics: What to Know About Spray Foam
Learn what exactly spray foam is, the pros and cons of using it and why you shouldn’t mess around with installation
Full Story
Life Is Open-Plan Living a Fad, or Here to Stay?
Architects, designers and Houzzers around the world have their say on this trend and predict how our homes might evolve
Full Story