SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maddielee49

Coronavirus - travel plans?

maddielee
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Anyone thinking about changing planned travels for this spring and summer? A good friend is a travel agent, she is getting many, many calls cancelling planned trips.

We had a trip planned (on paper) but don’t need to book for a few weeks.

Comments (336)

• 3katz4me
    4 years ago

Use the Johns Hopkins map - it’s updated real-time.

• maddielee
    Original Author
    4 years ago

CDC announced the other day that they would not be reporting presumed positive cases. The states now are in charge of those reports.

I know better then to take this political.

• Related Discussions

My travel plans for 2013 -2014

Q

Comments (11)
    mwheel, notice the date of the last post "Apr 8, 13 at 18:17". It seems the Garden Web is going back in time....... Lilo's post was apt then and more than apt now. You're right on about what's going on now, in the US: "no wheels at all", It's a movie reference.
    ...See More

Summer Travel Plans

Q

Comments (8)
    Had a great time in MN and am back in IN. Was at my brother's last night and today (had trash can turkey) and now at Jaycie's house for the night. Back to daughter Wendy's house in Warsaw tomorrow. If you're on FB, you've seen that my husband's son from his first marriage unexpectedly passed away on June 11th. For those of you who know our oldest daughter, Salijo, her doctor is sending her to a cardiologist and the appt is on Monday. Would appreciate prayer.......
    ...See More

Travel Planning Tips

Q

Comments (12)
    I am a planner. I plan every detail. I don’t want to miss any of my must see sights when overseas as travel is so expensive. I keep a detailed binder with tabs for each day with directions/ passes. We do use our GPS, but I still print directions. I keep all receipts and a travel diary. When I get home I immediately start on my scrapbook and I keep the diary pages in the scrapbook so that when I am old or gone my children can look back over our trip and remember the trip through my lens as well as theirs. I usually pick something unexpected to study six months before I go on a trip. In Israel I studied Bauhaus architecture. In Turkey I read Orhan Pamuk’s books - his descriptions of the wild Bosphorus were wonderful. In Italy I read books on Bernini. This is something I enjoy doing as when I am there I feel connected through what I have studied. I also like staying In AirBNB’s as I feel more integrated with the locals. I always search for inexpensive airfares and use points as often as I have them. We usually fly out of NYC as it’s half the cost of flying from our city and we always enjoy a day in NYC before and after the trip. I packed gorgeous dresses for Italy, Israel, Turkey and Greece last year. I have GREAT pictures but it was a serious pain. I don’t know if I will ever do that again. In Scandinavia we lost our luggage so in every picture I have on the same jeans, T-shirt’s and jacket. That was actually a nice reprieve. I think travel is different for everyone. Some people hate planning while other’s like myself completely love the process. Even though I plan so thoroughly I have found surprises in every city. I really enjoy having private guides as I love history. I love all the things they show me that are unexpected. I have some ideas for where I want to go in the summer of 2020 but I haven’t completely nailed it down as I watch airfare rates and adjust accordingly. Rates are cheap to London now on Delta. I use Scott’s Cheap Flights.
    ...See More

Vacation/travel plans for later this year?

Q

Comments (37)
    We keep thinking about this. DH keeps suggesting road trips but even that, I don't know what it will be like to stay in hotels and eating at restaurants seems less appealing. We did a big international trip a year ago, and then we did a road trip to Quebec in November. We were supposed to visit friends in Florida this winter, but we never did book the flights and then you know... We have done one outdoor dining and I was fine with that, but in general wearing a mask to go into the restaurant (rest room) doesn't bother me and I understand it and do it of course, but it's a reminder that things are off. I keep trying to think when we will feel ok about really traveling- and I just keep saying I don't know I don't know I don't know.
    ...See More
  • bbstx
    4 years ago

Well, my nephew just landed in Hawaii. He’s there for a medical conference. I expected it to be canceled, but, obviously, it wasn’t. I hope he remembers to wash his hands often and not touch his face, or lick his finger to turn the page.

• nekotish
    4 years ago

DH and I are leaving for Costa Rica on Sunday. Seattle to Miami, Miami to San Jose. I have clorex wipes and hand sanitizer and masks (to offer to others who may be coughing) I can't live in fear and will take things as they come.

• eld6161
    4 years ago

Nekotish. Costa Rica is a favorite of mine. A few years back there was an alert for another virus but we went anyway.

• beaglesdoitbetter
    4 years ago

I've just heard from some friends who were supposed to take their dog to Japan for heart surgery that Delta cancelled their flight. They were supposed to leave Sunday. What a mess :(

• jojoco
    4 years ago

Mtn, you should have checked the bakery area...any empty spot in the display case would constitute a run in my mind. Better safe than sorry! 🎂 🍰 🧁

• maire_cate
    4 years ago

There were several customers in the pharmacy yesterday asking for hand sanitizer which was sold out. The clerk told them they could still purchase isopropyl or ethanol in 70% concentration but there were only a few bottles on the shelf. The woman in line ahead of me had filled her cart with toilet paper, paper towels and Clorox wipes........and Easter candy!

I spoke with a friend who returned this past Sunday from a Caribbean cruise and she commented that she didn't notice any unusual or extra cleaning onboard. She was rather surprised because last year she was on a ship that had just been disinfected due to Norovirus. On that trip she saw staff members wiping surfaces (handrails, elevator buttons, handles, table tops etc.) frequently. The buffet was staffed with servers and all condiments were removed from the dining area. If you wanted salt or pepper you had to ask for it and then a server brought it over and put it on your food or plate.

While grocery shopping yesterday I admit that I picked up an extra package of TP and Viva and those shelves were well stocked.

• bbstx
    4 years ago

DH and I have (soon may be “had”) a cruise scheduled for mid-May. Just this morning, I’ve received an email from the cruise line that I can cancel up until 3/31. I will receive 100% credit for a future cruise to be used by 12/31/21. DH and I are giving it serious thought. He has lung issues, a pacemaker, and Parkinson’s.

Our flight to the cruise is on Delta. Delta is only allowing changes without fees for tickets purchased between 3/1 and 3/31/2020. I bought our tix in early February. 🥴 This may be where the “cancel for any reason” insurance comes into play. It seems to me that those of us who bought tickets earlier ought to get some sort of fee dispensation. At that time the virus was pretty much contained to Asia. If you buy/bought a ticket between 3/1 and 3/31, you *know* this thing is spreading! I’m baffled as to who Delta is trying to accommodate.

• maire_cate
    4 years ago

My neighbor canceled her spring Viking cruise yesterday and received a credit good for 2 years. This was going to be her last big trip before her daughter has twins this fall. She purchased Viking's 'cancel for any reason' insurance and is hoping to pursue full reimbursement. She booked her flights on American with points and is still trying to see if they will reinstate them.

• leela4
    4 years ago

bbstx-You might try messaging Delta directly and asking about your specific flight and the cancellation/change fees. I was pretty confused about what I was reading; I have plans to go visit my daughter and family who live in GA next week. I have a ticket from (eastern) WA to GA that I bought 1/18 and I thought that was not included but when they finally got back to me they said the fees would be waived.

It took several hours for them to reply to my text and I was frankly surprised they did. I am still probably going to go, although I'm in a more "vulnerable" position as I am 68. But I am also healthy and have no family members who I live with, other than DH (who is not going) who has exercise induced asthma. (He scoffs at my concern for him in this.)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

I view the Delta policy (changes without fees for tickets purchased between 3/1 and 3/31/2020.) as an inducement to get people to travel once the risk was known, not as an accommodation for those who already had plans.

I would hold tight on pursuing them, I doubt they would want all the ill will that would result if they do not try to at least offer credits. That is assuming they stay solvent. (let's hope)

• maddielee
    Original Author
    4 years ago

FYI...Disney Cruise policy. Sharing what my friend just received about her cruise for next week. Her family is still planning on going.

• jojoco
    4 years ago

Meanwhile, I just received an email from our local Patch news informing us about an upcoming Town Hall meeting to discuss the Coronavirus. The meeting is to be held in the auditorium of a local middle school in about two weeks and is being hosted by a state representative. I sent said representative a message suggesting a large indoor gathering to discuss the dangers of a highly contagious virus might not be such a good idea.

I support his desire to address misinformation and transparency, but what the heck was he thinking?

• maire_cate
    4 years ago

And 2 weeks from now? I guess they don't think it's that urgent.

• Feathers11
    4 years ago

I'm rather baffled by the airline industry's response. If their goal is incentivization, the prices don't reflect this. No-change-fee offers would be a given, to me as a customer if I were to buy in this current climate. The airlines themselves are as heartless as corporations can be to their employees anyway. But to make a big deal out of no-change-fees?

• cmm1964
    4 years ago

I am still planning to fly to London on Monday for a concert on Wednesday. It has not been cancelled yet. I will have Lysol wipes, Lysol spray, hand sanitizer and Kleenex with me. I guess I could pick up a virus at the local Publix as well as abroad.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

I've gotten a ton of cheap offers in my mailbox for air travel. I almost feel bad for them. I do feel bad for all of the ancillary businesses.

• jojoco
    4 years ago

^^^^ That and Facebook seems littered with a cheap cruise advertisements

• eld6161
    4 years ago

I know! I accidentally dialed my Cost Rica travel agent. When I realized it was calling I hung up.

I received a voice mail back within 20 ( I am a regular so they have my name and number)

I then received a personal email saying they were there for me.

I doubt this would have happened any other year.

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

I took advantage and booked the round-trip tickets on AA to Denver, which set me back a "whopping" $119.80. Can't say I'm unhappy about scoring a bargain - AND I can change the travel dates if need be.

• l pinkmountain
    4 years ago

Interesting Jo. I've been thinking about how technology is going to change our lives both pro and con for quite a while, ever since I did my masters thesis on it in 1999 (well, at least how the Internet was going to affect my field). On the downside, robots and computer programs are going to increasingly replace humans and that is not always going to spell improvement, particularly in the service and quality realms. On the plus side, this is a situation tailor made for the Internet to help us. Your representative could host a virtual town hall where folks who wanted to could participate online. Questions could be pre-screened. My rep. is already doing this via phone because he's been afraid to actually face his constituents in person for a long time, at least ones informed and motivated enough to show up at a town hall. Basically he's not used to having to have cogent answers to a lot of questions, particularly not canned ones dished out by his party leaders. The joys of living in a "safe" district.

• lascatx
    4 years ago

Jojoco -- your uber driver in Houston may have been suffering from allergies. We are deep into spring pollen season now. The pines have started dropping yellow dust on everything, but oak, cedar and another have been ramping up for the last couple of weeks. I've been taking Zyrtec but still having some issues and will for another week or two. Just part of the beauty of spring here for some of us.

• beaglesdoitbetter
    4 years ago

One of the companies I contract with (a large one w/ worldwide offices) announced they are closing ALL offices today until at least April and people need to work from home.

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

lascatx, the allergens are just awful right now! I've felt poorly for days, as has DH and the majority of the people I come into contact with on a daily basis. Sore throat, upper respiratory congestion, cough -- it's pollen, which is sky-high right now.

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    4 years ago

Grainger canceled their annual meeting next week in Orlando. DH was booked to go and tried all day to get through to the airline to cancel his flights but was unable to do so. He had not booked his hotel yet but plenty of others had booked hotels and will now be canceling reservations.

• 3katz4me
    4 years ago

We have our first “presumptive” case in MN - an older person exposed on a cruise who’s been sick since Feb 25 but just sought care on Mar 5. Unclear where all that person has been since they contracted the disease. The positive test has to be confirmed by the CDC.

• localeater
    4 years ago

DS2 arrived home for Spring back this evening. He advised he is not sure when he returns back to campus as the school announced they may do 2-3 weeks online learning and to stay tuned.

Brother returned from Tokyo, on a very empty plane. He is self-quarantined in his house, he is not even touching the cat.

• jojoco
    4 years ago

Lascatx it’s hard for me to give him the benefit of the doubt since I did say to him something along the lines of “oh wow, you don’t sound so great, hope you’re feeling better“ and he said he had been sick but took meds and hoped he’d be better for his real job the next day.

But on a positive note, I spent the day today hunkered down in yoga pants and a sweatshirt studying everything leaf related for a plant course I am taking at Longwood. It was a perfect cocooning kind of day. Tomorrow will be day three of my cold and then it will be smooth sailing.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

LynnNM, hope everything is ok.

In re spring break, my DS and DD1 came home tonight. DS called to ask me which car I was picking him up in? I'm like why? Then he Facetimes me and he is emptying his dorm room since they were told they may end up not returning! I told him, just take anything you need for school work, and whatever items you are taking on vacation. It's not like they will burn everything left behind! Kids are funny.

• DLM2000-GW
    4 years ago

It's not like they will burn everything left behind! Obviously you don't watch the same conspiracy/disaster/outbreak movies your son does!

• jojoco
    4 years ago

Mtn, seriously???I know your son is a hard worker… Is this his theory that they may not be heading back or is it something the school has said? (My son is due back next week for his spring break from his school in North Carolina)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

Pretty sure its just rumors as this juncture. However, my DH is on the board of a local private school and they are working on contingent plans for online instruction; I imagine that planning is even further along for any school that involves dorms?

• 4kids4us
    4 years ago

Jojoco I’m in a FB group with parents of college students and many parents have said that their kids’ schools have been or will be testing out online learning just in case they decide to shut down campuses. A couple of universities on the west coast have already announced they are finishing out the quarter with online courses/finals. Fortunately they are going on spring break so it sounds like they have about three weeks of “closure” between the online period and spring break before the next quarter starts. I think they are hoping that are that three weeks much of this will be contained.

At my son’s private h.s, they all have school issued iPads. Last week, they downloaded an app to their iPads that will allow for online classrooms with video conferencing. Yesterday we got an email that this coming week, the kids will have an previously unscheduled half day so that the staff can meet and finalize plans for online learning in the even they need to close. I doubt it will come to that but glad they are at least putting a plan in place. My daughter goes to a different h.s. and so far, they have been silent. Neither of these schools are boarding schools.

Dh is supposed to fly to London tomorrow. Every day this past week he’d say “we (his executive team) are making a decision tomorrow.”. Yesterday he said he was deciding by noon. So yesterday afternoon I asked whether he was going and he said, “I’m deciding Sunday morning.” I’m not really worried about him going but don’t want him to get caught up in a quarantine. He’s meeting with an important client who is traveling from Germany. I honestly don’t know why they can’t just do a meeting over Skype, etc.

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

Bbstx, you got lucky with Delta waiving your fee. I tried to change just a portion of a ticket for my granddaughter’s upcoming spring break trip (long story) which was booked in early Feb. I was willing to pay the small difference in price, but American wouldn’t waive the $200 change fee which I thought was ridiculous.

• bbstx
    4 years ago

@OutsidePlaying, Delta hasn’t waived a fee for me yet. DH and I have until 3/31 to cancel the cruise. We are going to just sit on it until then, the assess what we should do.

On the forum for my cruise, only a few people have said they are going to cancel. What is interesting is the number of folks on the forum who are buying cruise line stock right now!

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

Oh, sorry, bbstx, it was Leela4 who received the waived fee. My error.

• lakeaffect
    4 years ago

I work at a state college and we are creating detailed plans and technology options for full online instruction so if we have to close, are ordered to close or close out of the infamous “abundance of caution”, our students can complete the semester. Faculty and staff who are able will WFH, staff in departments like facilities who can’t WFH will likely work on projects slated for summer. Our focus, and IMO, the focus of all institutions, is to ensure students complete their work for the semester so they receive the credits and retain their status as FT matriculated students (essential for financial aid) in their “year” (i.e. in the fall current first years would be sophomores, etc.). Declining enrollment is a reality for most colleges, especially community colleges, and ensuring the students who are enrolled stay on track is a primary concern for all colleges. And yes, lots of decisions are going to be made very soon, as spring break looms, it is perceived as a natural point at which institutions make the difficult decision to send students home to complete classes online.

And then there are the upcoming graduation ceremonies......

Here’s a Link to an Inside Higher Ed article on colleges and the response to Covid-19 for anyone interested.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=2ahUKEwjKt9n3wYjoAhVqUd8KHegeAt8QFjADegQIBRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.insidehighered.com%2Fnews%2F2020%2F03%2F06%2Fcdc-american-college-health-association-and-education-department-issue-guidance&usg=AOvVaw2PV91MQZxJSlw1EJ56_wV9

• robo (z6a)
    4 years ago

My in-laws just cancelled their spring cruise. More concerned about quarantine than coronavirus.

I anticipate school closures. I think we’re learning more about epidemics and social distancing is a good thing.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

My two eldest go to a university on the quarter system. They have two weeks left of winter quarter and all classes in person classes have been cancelled. Their professors are to continue instruction online and all finals are to be take homes. This was just announced yesterday. The same day a member of the medical school faculty was revealed to have contracted the virus.

What happens after Spring Break?

• Sueb20
    4 years ago

Ugh. I keep thinking about this possibility with DD’s college! No one has been diagnosed there and there’s been no discussion of canceling anything, but I’m crossing my fingers that she can finish her freshman year without anything like that happening. She’s had enough drama this year.

• lakeaffect
    4 years ago

Sue they may not be talking to the students yet, but the administration is *for sure* planning for closure, we all are, and the more dorm residents, the more planning and the better chance of closure.

• lakeaffect
    4 years ago

Zalco, there may well be a tsunami of colleges closing dorms and forcing students to complete classes online post spring break. I think the next 10 days will be telling, if the number of new cases and/or new places is up, expect many to close. And once a large university in one geographic area closes, the rest will follow suit, no college wants to risk ire or lawsuits parents if they don’t follow the prevailing practice.

• Feathers11
    4 years ago

Lakeaffect, thank you for the link. My son is coming home for spring break tomorrow, and his university hasn't given any indication that classes will not resume after the break. Its web site has information and updates on the coronavirus, and indicates it's working with the city's health department to monitor outbreaks, which so far, have not reached the city.

I'm an adjunct at a community college in a major metropolitan area that has seen a few cases. My college has not mentioned anything. Nothing. I just did a search at its web site, my inbox... nada. Our spring break is in a few weeks, so perhaps our officials are working on a plan. I'm surprised by the lack of information because they're usually excellent facilitators of information to our community.

• hooked123
    4 years ago

We have a tripped planned in May to Israel and I am thinking we should cancel due to the possibility of a quarantine for U.S. citizens upon arrival. We also have a trip planned in October to Spain. I am hoping to not have to cancel. May is around the corner, I really want to go so I am going to wait two more weeks and then decide. My son was taking a European Study Tour with his university this summer and they canceled it.

• 3katz4me
    4 years ago

Do you think we should start a new thread - How is Coronavirus affecting you - since there's a lot going on in addition to travel now.

• Bonnie
    4 years ago

New CDC guidelines recommend older adults (60 and over) stay home as much as possible. I’m trying to convince DH that it might not be prudent to fly to Miami to attend the Miami Open, which at this point has not been cancelled.

Stay home

• leela4
    4 years ago

Yes-DH told me last night about that CDC recommendation. I was still on the fence about it until this morning when DD1 (who I was planning on visiting for a week in GA) said she now has a fever and a mild sore throat. She is a professor at UGA and just returned a week ago from a conference in Boston.

Since I am both over the age of 60, and my return flight was through Seattle, I am going to first try to cancel and rebook later (it wasn't clear to me with Delta's answer to me that cancellations fees were waived, although as mentioned above they did say that a change fee would be waived.)

I feel like a spoiled brat whining about not being able to see family as soon as I want to.

• maddielee
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes 3katz please go ahead start a new thread. This one has been going strong for almost a month.

Bonnie, our college freshman granddaughter is scheduled to start working (concierge for players’ families) at the Players tournament in Jacksonville tomorrow. So far she still has to report at 7:00 am.

hooked, I can’t imagine that US airlines will continue to fly to Israel, if that quarantine is put in effect. Good luck.

• 3katz4me
    4 years ago

NEW THREAD IS NOW POSTED