SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

Help me choose the best vegetable varieties for my new garden.

docmom_gw
4 years ago

I am a 54 yo woman. I have been gardening for decades, but mostly native flowers for pollinators. I have had strawberry and raspberry patches and the occasional tomato plant. I even grew heirloom melons for Seed Savers for a few years. But, I never had the space or time to really focus on raising my own food. Now, my kids are in college and I purchased an old farmhouse on 2.3 acres in Southwest Michigan. My plan is to convert the property to a native pollinator habitat with a generous slice of space for growing food for myself and those close to me.

We (hubby and I) moved into the house New Year’s Eve. So, we don’t know much about the soil. But, the surrounding land is full of agricultural farms growing grapes, blueberries, fruit trees, hops, corn and soy beans. Our home was the original home of the first farmers who settled here in 1855. So, I am guessing the soil is pretty fertile. It also comes with a huge cellar, as ancient farmhouses in Michigan do, that will serve as a fantastic root cellar. I am hoping you all can at least give me some hints as to your preferred varieties of annual vegetables, as well as perennial berries, asparagus, etc. I haven’t even decided exactly what to grow for the first year. I am starting with “lawn,” so will need to prepare beds this spring.

I will definitely grow tomatoes, for sauce, salsa, and fresh salads/sandwiches. Other likely/possible options:

cucumbers (for fresh, not pickling)

broccoli

green beans

dried beans

sugar snap peas

sweet peppers

hot peppers (nothing crazy hot)

spinach

brussel sprouts

winter squash

strawberries

raspberrries

blackberries

In future years I will certainly try potatoes, carrots, beets, garlic, onions, etc, but expect the soil needs some preparation first.

Do any of you have recommendations re your favorite varieties of the above, or suggestions of other items I should include? I am also very aware that I might way over extend myself. Advice re how to ramp up gradually would also be received happily. With luck, in the late summer or fall I will be responding to threads about what I have put up this year. Thanks in advance!

Martha

Comments (10)