Trump would like his impeachment "expunged"

dublinbay z6 (KS)

Leave it to Trump--reality is nothing but the words you decide to use.

-----------------------

"President Trump on Friday endorsed an idea floated by some congressional Republicans that his impeachment be “expunged” if the GOP retakes control of the House of Representatives next year.

[. . .]

They should, because it was a hoax,” he responded. “That’s a very good question. Should they expunge the impeachment in the House? They should because it was a hoax. It was a total political hoax.”

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., and Rep Lee Zeldin, R-N.Y., two of Trump’s most fervent supporters on Capitol Hill, raised the possibility of expungement shortly before the president’s acquittal in his Senate trial.

This is the fastest, weakest, most political impeachment in history,” McCarthy told the New York Post. “I don’t think it should stay on the books.”

[. . .]

. . . While there is historical precedent — the House voted to expunge the censure of Andrew Jackson in 1837 — there is no expungement clause in the Constitution.

“There’s nothing in the Constitution that provides for a procedure of expungement,” James Gardner, a law professor at the State University of New York at Buffalo, told the Independent. “It would be of no significance — certainly of no legal significance.”

He added: “It might be of political significance.”

[. . .]

“He will be impeached forever,” Pelosi said on ABC’s “This Week With George Stephanopoulos.”

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-impeachment-expunged-congressional-record-182134835.html

------------------------------

FOREVER!

Kate

SaveComment54Like2
Comments (54)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elvis

He's playing with you, and you seem to enjoy it.

3 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

He's playing president with everyone.

12 Likes Save    
haydayhayday

Trump sure knows how to pluck your strings.

And you sing for him.

He loves it.

Hay

6 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Expunge trump in Nov, that'll take care of it.

14 Likes Save    
steve2416

Expunging his record is only a legality. Some of us will never forget.

6 Likes Save    
bfox254

I'm not so sure he's playing. Some congressman put the idea in his head and it will grow there and fester, like most of his bad ideas. He'll have himself convinced that if they could somehow win back the House his record will be expunged. He'll use it as a rallying cry while he continues to proclaim his innocence to the world. Always the victim.

6 Likes Save    
woodnymph2_gw

I don't think he's playing either. He will do anything to achieve more power and has already shown he thinks he is above the law. The "acquittal" will only motivate him to continue to twist the truth, and to continue to undermine the Constitution and our system of checks and balances.

4 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

He's forever floating trial balloons to see the reaction they get.

He's already suggested the RNC should expel Romney - as if that were in any way a possibility. Political parties cannot expel anybody, but now it's given his followers something to repeat, like most of his pronouncements.

This mess is just galloping along faster and faster toward the inevitable, it seems.

5 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

If he gets expunged so should Nixon and Clinton. Clinton was impeached for far less than the crimes Trump and Nixon committed.

He’ll never get it through his thick skull either that acquittal does not mean not guilty. OJ was acquitted.

6 Likes Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

Wait, if his impeachment is expunged then it never happened right?

But he needs to have had it happen because he needs to be able to say that his first term didn’t count because of the sham impeachment, so he can get his third term.

Oh dear what a quandary.

Save    
Kathy

I wish we could expunge his Presidency and go back to when I thought Americans valued morality, humanity and decency.

13 Likes Save    
Kitchenwitch111

Trump is a joke but it’s not funny

6 Likes Save    
lurker111

Obama is practically expunged, at this point.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Trump can’t expunge Obama. That is what eats at him.

5 Likes Save    
cattyles

I wonder who taught him that word?

9 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Obama....still beloved the world over. That will never be the case for Trump.

8 Likes Save    
mudhouse

If not expunged, at least pretty effectively obscured.

Save    
barncatz

For those who hated him, sure.

The National Portrait Gallery unveiled its official portraits of Michelle and Barack Obama nearly two years ago. Since then, the gallery reports that attendance has nearly doubled.

Next summer, the portraits will hit the road to reach an even wider audience....

The Obama portraits are not the first to go on tour, but Sajet still says there's something unique about their impact. ...

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/07/802778807/obamas-portraits-going-on-tour-next-year

3 Likes Save    
mudhouse

I don't think Obama was an effective president, but I don't hate him.

2 Likes Save    
cattyles

Then why carry trump’s water and say Obama’s “pretty effectively obscured”? I would never say something like that about Bush or Reagan. We don’t have many presidents. None of them are “obscured”.

No president until trump insulted the previous president and encouraged other Americans to do that. Don’t you think that’s at least inappropriate of trump? I guess not.

It lays bare the insecurity of trump.

14 Likes Save    
elvis

mudhouse

If not expunged, at least pretty effectively obscured.

Yep, even in Antigua.

On August 4, 2009 Antigua's highest point Boggy Peak was renamed Mount Obama by former Prime Minister Baldwin Spencer. The change was to honor the 44th U.S. President Barack Obama and recognize him as a symbol of black achievement. The name lasted seven years before Cabinet changed it back to the traditional name Boggy Peak on June 21, 2016.

-wikipedia

2 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Then why carry trump’s water and say he’s “pretty effectively obscured”? I would never say something like that Bush or Reagan. We don’t have many presidents. None of them are “obscured”.

Well, it was somewhat of a playful comment, cattyles, playing off a previous comment about Obama being expunged. (Apparently I don't get any credit for saying if not expunged, eh?)

And I have to admit, when I thought of obscured, I had the image in my mind of the Obama portrait with the vines creeping over his feet, as in barncatz's post. Vines obscure things.

When you say that Trump insulted the previous president, were you referring to his comments in the SOTU? If so, no, I didn't think his comments were inappropriate in that address. I thought they were blunt and direct, and honest, and I think many people agreed with them, although I know some did not.

2 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Well, I missed that story, elvis. I wonder why they changed it back to Boggy Peak? Wikipedia didn't say.

In trying to find that, though, I found this article about four other things that are (probably?) still named after Obama: an extinct lizard, a fungus, a trapdoor spider, and a parasite.

https://www.cnsnews.com/mrctv-blog/kelly-lawyer/five-most-unusual-things-named-after-barack-obama

2 Likes Save    

Hilarious! 😂

Maybe add 'jk' so everyone will know it's a joke...

Save    
elvis

Not everyone was for the change from Boggy Peak to Mt. Obama, Mud.

Lester Bird, leader of the opposition Antigua Labor Party, called the change “silly” and said they might as well name it for Michael Jackson. But parliament’s approval was not required for the new name to take effect.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2009/08/04/antiguas-highest-peak-renamed-mount-obama/

2 Likes Save    
barncatz

And I have to admit, when I thought of obscured, I had the image in my mind of the Obama portrait with the vines creeping over his feet, as in barncatz's post. Vines obscure things.

Huh? Is this art criticism? If so, the artist has explained his vision and it's not nearly as, frankly, creepy.

2 Likes Save    
cattyles

There’s no answer so distract and deflect.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Obamacares vs Trump nocare.

3 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Mudhouse missed a few things named after Obama.

Here is a list of just the schools:

California

• Barack Obama Charter SchoolCompton, California – Qued Charter Elementary School renamed after Barack Obama in January 2009[9]

[. . .]

Michigan

• Barack Obama Leadership Academy- Detroit, Michigan- Timbuktu Academy, which has been open since 1997, will become Barack Obama Leadership Academy.[17]

Mississippi

• Barack Obama International Baccalaureate Elementary SchoolJackson, Mississippi – Renamed as of October 2017, from Jefferson Davis, the Confederacy's only president.[18]

Missouri

Minnesota

New Jersey

New York

• Barack Obama Elementary SchoolHempstead, New York – Ludlum Elementary School renamed to Barack Obama Elementary School.[25]

Ohio

Pennsylvania

Texas

Virginia

Wisconsin

• Barack Obama School for Career and Technical Edu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_things_named_after_Barack_Obama

--------------------

I had to omit some--or Houzz wouldn't print the full list. : (

But the link also lists other schools and streets named after him.

I'm sure we wouldn't want to give the impression that only 5 odd spider- or beetle-like creatures were named after President Obama, after all.

Kate

Save    
cattyles

And doing his best to dismantle ACA.

Save    
mudhouse

Thank you Kate; of course, I wasn't trying to imply that the above short article was any kind of a complete listing of things named after Obama.

2 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Think Trump will demand every school be renamed Trump Government School now? /s

Save    
barncatz

In trying to find that, though, I found this article about four other things that are (probably?) still named after Obama: an extinct lizard, a fungus, a trapdoor spider, and a parasite.

I know Emily tells us to SOB comments that irritate us, but I'm having a hard time with this one. Obama was a decent human being, at least as defined in the Bible as extending care to widows and orphans.

This is a Trump tweet, literally sneering at a widow's tears. He is a cruel man. My 401, invested in conservative funds, is doing meh. But if I were as rich as his children have become from trading on their daddy's name, I would be unhappy that this parasite sits in the same office as FDR and Dwight Eisenhower:

.@RepDebDingell

, who called me, tears flowing, to thank me for rolling out the maximum “Red Carpet” for the funeral of her husband,

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

If he gets it expunged, then won't he lose his excuse that he gets 3 more years because of the impeachment???

Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Trump is the one who's name is constantly being expunged from buildings, etc., while Obama's name is a label which inspires pride. This trend will accelerate after Nov.

4 Likes Save    
mudhouse

I know Emily tells us to SOB comments that irritate us, but I'm having a hard time with this one. Obama was a decent human being, at least as defined in the Bible as extending care to widows and orphans.

barncatz, all four of the species I listed above were named after President Obama as an honor to him.

Obamadon gracilis, the extinct lizard species, was named in honor of Obama's smile.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-dinosaur-obama-idUSBRE8BA17S20121211

Caloplaca obamae, was chosen to honor Obama's support of science education. It was the first live species to be named after Obama.

https://www.livescience.com/3524-newfound-lichen-species-named-obama.html

Aptostichus barackobamai, a trapdoor spider, was the first living creature to be named after Obama.

https://www.livescience.com/25812-trapdoor-spider-named-for-obama.html

Paragordius obamai was named after President Obama, in honor of it being discovered in Kenya, where his father was raised.

https://dailyparasite.blogspot.com/2012/04/

The story was also covered by the Washington Post:

Obama is a parasite. He’s also a fungus, a spider and an extinct lizard.

But before President Obama’s critics rejoice, having unappealing species named after you is apparently a good thing.

“Honestly, it’s difficult for me to envision a higher honor,” Jason Bond, an Auburn University professor, told the Loop. “It’s permanent. In science, there are few things that we do as scientists that has the permanency that taxonomy does.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/in-the-loop/wp/2014/04/26/a-parasite-named-obama/

1 Like Save    
mudhouse

The man who named the parasite actually got some criticism, and he did a later article in the WaPo clarifying that it was done as an honor. And if it makes you feel better, several species have been named after Trump.

One I found was a blind worm, Dermophis donaldtrumpi. Another is a moth, Neopalpa donaldtrumpi, that has a funny clump of yellowish white scales on it's head. Pretty sure that one was done tongue in cheek, maybe along with an intent to honor. I'm not at all sure about the intent behind the naming of the blind worm, but you can find lots of articles online poking fun about it.

1 Like Save    
mudhouse

Expunging his record is only a legality. Some of us will never forget.

Back to the thread topic. Even if there is a legal process to expunge Trump's impeachment, and even if there were enough House votes in the future to expunge it, I'd have very mixed feelings about doing so.

I agree with Steve's comment above, although probably not in the same way he meant it.

Those of us who support Trump will never forget, either. While erasing it from a legal record might seem just, an expungement wouldn't erase it from the minds and hearts of the people who lived through it.

None of us will live forever, and what history writes matters to future generations. But this partisan event happened. If we try to expunge it, are we trying to remove history, like removing Confederate statues? It's a chapter in the history of the country. It happened. Maybe it's better to let it stand, and let Pelosi, Schiff, Nadler, and others stand in history as being responsible for the roles they played in it.

My opinion might change based on future revelations about how the whistleblower complaint really originated, but I don't know if the information Schiff is hiding will ever come to light. I think the impeachment, as it played out, is a badge of honor for Trump, because it shows how determined people were to remove him from office, before he was even inaugurated.

2 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Well, that's a point to consider too, Del Phinium. Maybe to keep the costs down, we should just save up all the impeachments and expunge them all in one Congressional proceeding.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Clearly someone excpects the Dems to keep the House.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

A huge coverup by the WH, Barr and the Senate cannot be considered an acquittal. Trump will keep on til he is stopped. There is no way he will stop with his illegal or immoral actions.

1 Like Save    

Anybody else see Nancy Pelosi's piece in the WaPo yet? It's pretty scathing.

1 Like Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

I read it....excellent editorial.

Save    
Nana H

Every time I see this thread my brain says I would like to see Trump expunged.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Can you post a link to Pelosi’s article?

Save    
barncatz

Interesting clarification, mudhouse.

Save    
cattyles

All of this makes me curious about if any trump supporters here follow Q anon.

Save    
silver_dollar

He was acquitted. Why would the impeachment stand when it was started under false pretenses?

Save    
elvis

Because the president was impeached, that is real. He was acquitted, and that too is real.

Kathy

A huge coverup by the WH, Barr and the Senate cannot be considered an acquittal

Overruled, Kathy. Just ask Chief Justice Roberts, who signed the Order of Acquittal.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

There were no witnesses, no documents, no trial. Acquittal is merely a way of saying it’s over and covered up. The Senate can call their coverup an acquittal and the S.C. justice honored it, a travesty imho.

Save    
elvis

I keep forgetting about your legal expertise. Mea culpa.

Save    
Kathy

Elvis, as I said my opinion. I am entitled to one as are you.

Save    
queenmargo

cattyles

All of this makes me curious about if any trump supporters here follow Q anon.

Curious why? What will it do for your life?

1 Like Save