US Ban on African immigrants

bleusblue2

CBC RADIO DAY 6

This morning I listened to a short CBC radio report on the US ban on immigration from six African countries. I haven't paid much attention to this with everything that's going on. So, no immigration will be allowed but travel from those countries is fine. This -- despite the fact that immigrations undergo much more thorough investigations than any tourist does.

Highly educated tech people from Nigeria work in Silicon Valley. These are people who have options -- so those who planned to apply for US residence can pick up and go. Whose loss?

ETA -- I understood that travel will be permitted but that is unclear.

SaveComment14Like
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Canada's gain, that is for sure.

PS There are plenty of Nigerian students in the US as well.

Save     Thanked by bleusblue2
elvis

Sounds like coffee klatch at the diner, got a source for the OP?

Save     Thanked by bleusblue2
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Elvis, I posted about this in the last week or two as well. I think NPR ran a piece. Tech companies are opening satellite campuses in Canada because of bans like this, and a reduction in H1-Bs. Canada has responded to the US making it harder for workers to immigrate by streamlining their process. Workers can have their Canadian papers in two weeks, sans a lawyer.

I'll see if I can find my source.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by bleusblue2
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Here is an NPR story that touches on the problems mentioned in the OP

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/27/799402801/canada-wins-u-s-loses-in-global-fight-for-high-tech-workers

PS I don't think my piece speaks directly to Nigerian immigration. Nigeria is practically split 50-50 between Christians and Muslims, btw.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Nigeria

2 Likes Save     Thanked by bleusblue2
2 Likes Save    
elvis

Thanks, both of you!

Save    
elvis

From your link, bb:

"Canada is a very popular option for most young talented Nigerians, although for entrepreneurs it's not as friendly," he said. "London seems to be much more friendly for entrepreneurs from Africa."

Aboyeji says Silicon Valley hosts a significant number of skilled Nigerian tech workers. Denied the possibility of permanent residency, some of those Nigerians will likely choose to go home to their country's growing tech sector, he said.

"The Nigerian technology ecosystem has basically grown into one of the top ones in the world. There's a huge opportunity for some of these talents that have been turned away by the U.S. to go home and make a real impact," he said.

"I don't think it's a sad story entirely. I think it could be the beginning of something beautiful."

This sounds great. So Mr. Aboveji's country will not be losing some very valuable resources. Thanks for sharing this happy story.

Save    
bleusblue2

Elvis -- it can be a happy story for Nigeria. But I'd say that drawing talent to the US -- or any other country -- can be competitive, beneficial, profitable. A gathering of talent is positive and feeds innovation. That spreads out to the whole society. As mentioned above -- other countries are delighted if some of that talent is diverted away from the US. Very few are despairing for the Nigerians -- although it is unfortunate that suddenly their plans are turned upside down. The real regret is for America's less welcoming climate which didn't start with this initiative. The US becomes a country where the first response is "no."

Save    
elvis

As mentioned above -- other countries are delighted if some of that talent is diverted away from the US.

Well, that's good news for them, then. I don't think we're going to run out of talent any time soon, bb.

The US becomes a country where the first response is "no."

More like "not until you..."

Save    
Nana H

Elvis, you may be interested in doing some research into the problems companies in the US are having in attracting top end IT and medical people........or not.

1 Like Save    
margaritadina

''

Zalco/bring back Sophie!

PS I don't think my piece speaks directly to Nigerian
immigration. Nigeria is practically split 50-50 between Christians and
Muslims, btw.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Nigeria''

With Muslims successfully massacre Christians. Nigeria made the list because of Muslims, faithful contributors to the serious presence of Islamic terrorists groups in their country.

''The latest edition of the Global Terrorism Index, produced by theInstitute for Economics and Peace (IEP), finds the number of deaths caused by terrorism... > Last year four countries recorded a large increase in deaths from
terrorism. Mali, Mozambique and Nigeria all saw more than 100 additional
deaths''

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dominicdudley/2019/11/20/ten-countries-terrorism/#3e9096b64db8

They just slaughtered 11 Christians in Dec in Nigeria.

Trump took a preventative measure and that's how it's done when the president wants his country to be safe. Sorry, Dems

Save    
bleusblue2

elvis

As mentioned above -- other countries are delighted if some of that talent is diverted away from the US.

Well, that's good news for them, then. I don't think we're going to run out of talent any time soon, bb.

~~~~

You don't exactly "run out of talent" -- it isn't numbers it's the stimulation engendered by a constantly enriched pool of talent. Why are certain eras and cities "hotbeds" of art -- for instance 1890s Paris for one? Artists came from everywhere to be in that city, to see and be seen, to meet masters, to see if they could sell their art in a great city, any reason you can think of. But they were THERE Only a very small percentage of them are known today but they were part of a great "stew" from which a fortunate few found success and the whole city was rewarded. That's a rather simple sketch of one era.

1 Like Save    
elvis

I see your point, however in the case of Silicon Valley (San Francisco), the deluge of IT "talent" has resulted in disaster for would-be renters. Too much of a good thing?

Save    
bleusblue2

Slicon Valley is one hot spot. The center of high tech may move but it can still be in the US. That's the issue.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Housing Research Why So Many New U.S. Homes Are Supersized
A bigger share of new homes sold in 2015 were 4,000 square feet or more compared with before the recession. But that could change
Full Story
Life Reflecting on a Gardening Year
Mistakes and successes, surprises and comforts. The garden helps us grow in new ways every year
Full Story
Pet Places Pet of the Week: Mai Tai the Parrot
This Congo African grey parrot fills his home with sound and love — just keep him away from wooden antiques
Full Story