SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Sauerkraut, salt, and kitchen scales

Lars
4 years ago

I started a batch of sauerkraut yesterday using one green cabbage that weighed 1555 grams (about 3-1/2 pounds), and I calculated that I needed 31 grams of salt to go with it, based on a 2% salt recipe that I found. I actually used a recipe from Brad Leone on Youtube, which has cabbage, salt, garlic, caraway seeds, and mustard seeds. I read somewhere that mustard seeds help the fermentation - not sure about whether the garlic helps or not. Anyway, the kitchen scale that I have is not very accurate - it measures in 5 gram or 0.2 ounce increments, which is not accurate enough for me to measure the salt. I used Sal de Colima, which is a bit fluffy and also a bit damp, but because of its texture, it is not good for measuring with measuring spoons. I tried measuring 30 grams, but I found that I could add quite a bit of salt before the scale got to 35 grams, and so I know the accuracy is not acceptable. Too late for this batch, but I did order a jewelry scale for when I want to measure small amounts. I just don't trust measuring the salts that I have any other way, especially since the recipes I have for fermenting call for weighed ingredients.

Here's the recipe I used:

I cut his recipe in half, since I used only one cabbage, and I still had to use two bowls.

I also bought some glass weights in a fermentation kit that I am trying out. I felt like the weights were necessary for sauerkraut, and they are easy to use. I used the tamper that came with my Vitamix to press down the cabbage in the jars, and I used two one-quart jars.

I was planning to let the cabbage ferment for 17 days because we will be out of town the week after next. I could take the cabbage with me, if I should stop the fermentation process sooner. I will turn the house thermostat off while we are gone, and so the house will probably be 65° that week.

Should I take the cabbage with me or will it be okay for it to ferment 17 days?

Comments (19)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm