Dem debate tonight

Ann

Once again, I think Klobuchar is doing well. Biden and Warren are both struggling, IMO. Yang is pretty good. Steyer is a one man Trump campaign ad. They're coming after Pete and I don't think he's doing a very good job with the incoming.

SaveComment52Like
Comments (52)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chipotle

Looks like your friend Bill disagrees.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

IMO tonight’s winner is Democratic Unity.

3 Likes Save    
Ann

I think Trump is winning. They couldn't handle the economy questions and, boy, are they ever currently struggling with the CIC questions - all looking super weak about foreign policy - and all because they feel they must disagree with what Trump did with Soleimani. Huge ouch on this part! Not one of them is showing themselves to be a strong leader who would be willing to take necessary action. They'd all run to smaller nations to say - what should we do. Again, ouch!

Honestly, they are making far too much of this debate about Trump so far and, on that topic, I think they're losing and making Trump look even better. I think they'd do a bit better by comparing themselves to one another to begin to try to whittle down their field a bit.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

"IMO tonight’s winner is Democratic Unity."

Around which wing of the party?:)

2 Likes Save    
chipotle

That changed real fast.

Save    
Kathy

They will figure it out. Every one of them are loyal, honest Americans. I’d pick any one of them over Trump and Putin.

2 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Outrageous!

Buttigieg just said he would not take out a terrorist responsible for killing 603 Americans, who had just killed a U.S. contractor, and who was actively planning more attacks

They've totally lost ithttps://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/op-eds/the-real-collateral-damage-for-killing-soleimani-the-democrats-minds …

2 Likes Save    
Ann

Kathy, one way or another, they will eventually narrow it down to a candidate.

Save    
Ann

HU, that CIC segment was brutal for them IMO!

2 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Bernie and Pete are on the record saying they would NOT take out a terrorist who killed over 600 Americans with plans to do more, if they had the chance.

Dems are not circling the drain. They are down the drain coalescing with the putrid sewage.

4 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Ann

HU, that segment was brutal for them IMO!

Another political ad for Trump/Republicans.

Cut. Print.

Thank you.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

I agree!

Save    
lurker111

I saw a little of Biden and Bernie. They're running on hate for Trump because their policies are unspeakable.

4 Likes Save    
zmith

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

So are Yang bucks only for people of color now?

Save    
HU-885118952

What are "race-conscious laws"?. Are they laws that apply differently depending on your skin color?

I thought Democrats weren't doing Jim Crow any longer.

5 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Summary- Democrats are pro abortion, pro terrorist and anti Capitalist.

3 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Um, Joe, we don't automatically get drivers licenses when we turn 16 (or whatever age in your state). Registering all Americans to vote when they turn 18.

What about personal choice? Is voting going to be compelled?

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

Out of narrative comes policy. Not reality. Narrative.

Steyer has gone all 1619 project and wants to rewrite the history of America according to the woke dictionary.

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

These Democrats are nuts.

Voting purges have zero impact on ability to vote. Federal law mandates provisional ballots be issued if you don't appear on the poll book

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

My Grandpa was poorer than your Grandpa!

Squabble the millionaires on stage.OMG

6 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Do Democrats realize they are arguing that the Civil Rights Act and decades of Democrat rule since have left black Americans no better off and in fact, worse???

2 Likes Save    
Ann

I had to turn if off at that point (the millionaire squabble). I made it through 2 hours, but that's enough for me.

When Pete first started in the campaign, I liked listening to him but, now, he sounds kind of preachy (and annoying in that sense) and his verbal "style" in general is getting annoying. Not unlike listening to Kamala or Ted Cruz. Each very different than the other, but all get old after you get tired of their tone and manner of speaking.

Joe seems to really be fighting it tonight. Fighting to stay focused, fighting to get understandable words and sentences out and in dealing with his temper. When Joe tries to act "tough", it comes across as a sort of weird and very sour and unappealing "angry". I feel sorry for him tonight. I think he knows his chance has or is quickly slipping away.

One thing desperately missing from every single one of them is any kind of a sense of humor!

6 Likes Save    
elvis

The CNN commentary is more fun than the debate was, for sure. They say Pete fizzled out after the first half hour.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

I was mistakenly thinking Bloomberg might be in this debate and was bummed he wasn't. I'll look forward to hearing from him when he is able to participate.

Also, I can't believe Steyer is still in these debates. Why??? He's never had any meaningful place in the polling.

1 Like Save    
catkinZ8a

POLITICO:

This debate was so 2019. It’s 2020 and much has happened. The jaw-dropping incompetence of the Iowa caucuses was a gift to the GOP that will keep on giving. (“How can a party run health care if it can’t run a caucus?”) Donald Trump just beat the rap on impeachment. He solidified his position as the alpha and omega of the Republican Party and he brooks no opposition. Solid economic reports continue to prop up Trump’s re-election chances.

President Trump begins the campaign as the favorite—not a heavy favorite, but it’s fantasy to pretend that all or even most of the Democrats still running can defeat the incumbent. Democrats have a mountain to move, and I didn’t see a party on stage that was close to meeting the challenge.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/02/08/new-hampshire-abc-dem-debate-expert-roundup-112404

1 Like Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

That's a lousy photoshop of Bloomberg between Trump and Jared. Whoever created the image didn't bother to keep Bloomberg's head at a reasonable aka believable size. At it is now, the photo screams "fake."

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

Well it certainly appears from this thread that none of these candidates can count on a Trump supporters vote in the General. They will be so disappointed.

3 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Yeah, Nana, that’ll be a blow for sure. I’m just reading around different sites trying to find a winners/losers analysis I’m in agreement with, and not totally finding it. Here are one-liners for each.

Time for Yang and Steyer to stop taking up space. Mayor Pete by now should have an answer to the loudest criticism he faces. Enjoy your peak, Pete, it won’t last long. Biden may have seemed a little angry at times, but finally found some energy. Aside from his opening line of defeat, which was bad, he pulled himself up a bit. I can’t judge Warren fairly because there’s something so off-putting to me that I can’t get past it to listen. The only thing new I heard from Bernie was the one thing I wanted to hear: unify behind the eventual candidate. Let’s just hope he still feels that way if it’s not him. Amy’s had decent nights before, but last night was her best. Not sure I see her has president, but definitely veep. Can’t wait to see Bloomberg next time.

4 Likes Save    
Ann

That most recent Politico link Catkin posted, a few comments above, provides some of the best analysis of the debate I've found. It covers the opinions of one analyst after another, each with a different and interesting take. I enjoyed that. Thanks Catkin!

It's too bad Klobuchar has never gained too much momentum. She almost always does well in these debates, and last night was no exception.

Biden is just a drain on the group and the party, at this point. He's a terrible candidate. Once he's removed from the mix, I think it will come off as a bit better group than it does now. Biden just adds an entirely incompetent appearance to the group.

Save    
Ann

FOAS, I completely agree it's time for Steyer and Yang to quit taking up space! I think Biden too. That would leave Warren, Sanders, Pete, Klobuchar and Bloomberg. That would make for a better debate and a better group, IMO.

Save    
Toby

I agree with you there, Ann. Klobuchar is a much better choice as a moderate candidate with wide appeal than Biden is. Trump would be hard-pressed to write a false narrative about her like he is doing with Biden. I do think Biden will drop out and I hope Amy can hang in there until then. You might contribute to her campaign since you like her so much, as a Dem will be the next president.

They're all smart as a whip. I think Bernie, Pete, and Klobuchar have the best chance of winning the nomination. I have no idea what Bloomberg might do. He is now running ads from past appearances with Obama praising him for his stand on various issues. You would think that Obama has privately given him his endorsement.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

The other person I think they need to leave behind, at least somewhat, is Trump. I understand the goal of Dems is to beat Trump, but I think they look kind of silly and petty when they try to challenge Trump's clear successes. They end up bolstering Trump IMO, whenever the topic is the economy, trade, or foreign policy. They are better off sticking to healthcare. I didn't hear their climate change segment, because I had given up by then.

But, they are so motivated to come after Trump so hard and, last night, they chose the wrong time (a fantastic week for Trump) and some of the worst topics (the economy and the Soleimani take out) to try to criticize Trump. I think that was a gift to Trump. It's time they try to turn off that tactic a bit and move to showing what they have to offer. My opinion, of course, but last night, I think the help they gave Trump was especially obvious. Last night, it seemed like Trump was the leader and they are the kids, arguing at the dinner table about vague ideas they heard at their different high schools but have no idea how they'd execute.

2 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Looked like another fairgrounds show.

I am surprised they weren't eating corn dogs.

Warren even had her own private little Candy Crowley to attack Mayor Pete for being a racist when he questioned about drug arrests--he gave an honest and reasonable answer to little miss racist baiter who then turned to Warren and asked her if Mayor Pete's answer was acceptable! Of course not Liz had the outrage face ready.

What a manure show--and it's already first quarter of the game.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

I missed the debate..,why bother if the new Dem slogan is "No matter who vote blue" , might as well have a Smurf run;)

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

I think what looked like a great week for Trump and Trumpsters looked like a terrible week for America, to the rest. There are certainly areas where Dems screwed up, but I believe America got a taste of the dangerous path we’re headed. It’s no longer doom and gloom predictions, to borrow Ann’s line from another thread, “It's here and it's real, right now.”

And it showed. From Bernie’s call for unity to everyone else’s. Plenty of disagreement on the stage, some jabs, no knock-out punches.

I have more hope than I did yesterday at this time, that we’re witnessing the beginning of Americans of all races, color, gender, religion, political leanings, coming together to fight the common enemy that’s looking to destroy the nation we know and love.

5 Likes Save    
Nana H

FOAS, funny I have similar feelings today. I am convinced the Democratic party is gong to rally strongly behind their candidate. Trump's deplorable ( I think that is the first time I have used that word) behaviour over the last few days , and the Senate's total abdication of their Constitutional role , has decreased my worries about 2020.

I'm feeling more confident than I have been that the House will retain the House, win the WH and has a good shot at the Senate. However, much depends on the nominee and I have reservations about at least two of the ones I think will make up the top 4 or 5 coming out of the next three primaries.

3 Likes Save    
ohiomom

I picked my candidate after last night.

#voteinNovember

1 Like Save    
Ann

FOAS and Nana, nice confidence. Good for you two. I'm glad to see you're resilient.

Save    
Ann

Klobuchar's debate performance was obviously well received. Her campaign has reported she raised 2 million in the 14 hours following the debate last night.

Save    
foodonastump

Plenty of support. They do seem to be lacking exciting front-runners (arguably, IMO, etc.) but most here would vote for any one of them. It was also kind of a kumbaya evening which at least to me after an exhausting week of politics was in some ways good for the moment. Not a whole lot to discuss. This can’t and won’t last. Finally, in the back of their minds everyone knows there’s a wild card out there that may change everything. Depending who you listen to, he’ll either be inconsequential or a game changer. I expect 2/17 will have more discussion.

Save    
Ann

"Finally, in the back of their minds everyone knows there’s a wild card out there that may change everything. Depending who you listen to, he’ll either be inconsequential or a game changer. I expect 2/17 will have more discussion."

Yeah, for some time, there has been a lot of talk about a wild card. That says a lot about the current field. I checked out predictit and Bernie is now where people are putting their bets, in nearly every single remaining primary/caucus state. The one and only exception was Alabama, where Biden was the choice. Things can certainly change quickly, as just a few weeks ago, Biden was leading in the majority of those states on predictit.

Save    
justerrilynn(10)

Buttigieg is on Fox Chris Wallace show right now.

2 Likes Save    
woodnymph2_gw

Yes, he was also on Meet the Press this morning. I saw both interviews.

2 Likes Save    
justerrilynn(10)

Burnie is up next on Fox. I wonder if Amy is on today?

Save    
Ann

Yes, I heard that and will watch recordings of both shows before the end of the evening.

Save    
justerrilynn(10)

I can’t find any info on Amy being on any shows today. She’s the only one I was really interested in hearing.

At least Bernie (who is speaking now) hasn’t once said “ let’s be perfectly clear” or “let me be perfectly clear”, he’s changed it to “ look, let me be perfectly honest with you”.

Save    
Ann

The Sunday shows clearly wanted the current leaders, and while Amy had a very good debate, she is most definitely not a current leader.

Save    
elvis
3 Likes Save    
mudhouse

I thought the "word from our sponsor, Bloomberg!" ad at a bit past the 4 minute mark was a nice touch, lol.

3 Likes Save    
Ann

SNL was great! I liked the part about Pete studying Obama speaking:) His manner of speaking was interesting to me at first, but boy does it ever seem overly practiced now. It's wearing on me.

1 Like Save    
Ann

I finally watched the Wallace and Todd interviews with both Bernie and Pete. I think Pete is looking a little less polished when asked tough questions. He recovers fairly quickly but the questions seem to throw him off balance for a few moments.

Bernie is very consistently Bernie. One thing I did notice is how sharp Bernie is compared to Biden. Bernie never pauses, never loses track, and seems to be very much in the moment, rather than drifting off and just waiting for it to be over. He's pretty good with conversation - saying what he wants to say and then completing his thought in a comfortable amount of time (not too quickly, saying enough) and not too slowly (no needless rambling) - ready for the next question. Trump could learn from that. Trump can sometimes nail a perfect point, or bring his sense of humor in at the best time, but then when he sees a positive audience reaction, he adds to it rather than letting his perfect point resonate.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular Design Debate: Should You Use Books for Decoration?
Color blocking, books by the yard, blank covers — is all fair in love and decor?
Full Story
Most Popular A Designer Shares Her Kitchen-Remodel Wish List
As part of a whole-house renovation, she’s making her dream list of kitchen amenities. What are your must-have features?
Full Story
Most Popular Could Techies Get a Floating Home Near California?
International companies would catch a big business break, and the apartments could be cool. But what are the odds of success? Weigh in here
Full Story