EPA re-approves key Roundup chemical

chipotle

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/480914-epa-reapproves-roundup-pesticide

"The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has re-approved a chemical used in Bayer's Roundup weed killer despite concerns over its health risks.

The agency is doubling down on its claims that the chemical, glyphosate, doesn’t pose a danger to humans despite thousands of lawsuits that attribute cancer to Roundup.

“The EPA found there was insufficient evidence to conclude that glyphosate plays a role in any human diseases,” said an agency interim registration review decision."

SaveComment30Like
Comments (30)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cecily 7A

Nah, it only causes cancer in Europeans.

4 Likes Save    
numbersjunkie

I hope they spray it on the greens at Mar a Lago.

6 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Better chance of success spraying it on the beef.

2 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

I am sure it will only give cancer to folks in blue states. MAGA

2 Likes Save    
margaritadina

I don't believe them. I'll keep pulling weeds by hand. Or just let them grow, some are very pretty.

3 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Monsanto a big Trump donor? Trump owns Monsanto stock?

Save    
zmith

FOAS, glyphosate is sprayed on feed corn crops. Guess where the corn winds up?

1 Like Save    
arthurm2015(Micro-Climate, Zone 10b Sydney, Australia)

If they spray it on the greens they will turn brown!

There is a little problem, that roundup has been used for years and years by workers at golf courses, at parks and similar.

Those workers should have higher cancer rates than the general population. Maybe even us golfers who trudge into newly sprayed rough. Sounds like a lawyers picnic to me.

Pretty sad, when a jury trial decides that something is deadly.

1 Like Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

If anyone is interested Zach Bush has some useful information on this issue. Others too of course.

glyphosate does cause health risks, and those risks magnify in the second and third generations of glyphosate consumption.

It is evident in lab animals and the same symptoms are observable in feed lot cattle and humans.

The cumulative effects of consuming it reach far beyond cancer.

(golf course maintenance crews and users are exposed to less glyphosate than other workers, such as city workers who are less likely to be using it properly and agricultural workers who use it more frequently and at closer range.)

Save    
zmith

Arthur, Monsanto developed a “Roundup Ready” genetically modified corn. When crops are sprayed, the weeds die but the corn lives.

Save    
margaritadina

''Joaniepoanie

Monsanto a big Trump donor? Trump owns Monsanto stock?''

TDSing much? Monsanto has been a monster on steroids for decades. I watched some documentaries about M, this corporation had literally taken over the agricultural businesses all over the world. And a ''hobby'' sector - gardening.

M has an exceptionally strong lobby to push it's interests through - if a problem can't be resolved with money, it can be resolved with big money.

Save    
Olychick

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

4 Likes Save    
margaritadina

''

zmith

Arthur,
Monsanto developed a “Roundup Ready” genetically modified corn. When
crops are sprayed, the weeds die but the corn lives.
''

Not just weeds, all insects die along with them, too. And birds leave as a result. In E Europe bee keepers receive notifications when Round Up will be sprayed on the commercial fields so they keep bees in beehives. Doesn't help much. Bees are dying in hundreds of thousands every year, population doesn't restore itself.

3 Likes Save    
margaritadina

''

Olychick

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America ''

Did Obama do anything about Monsanto? No. So, please.

Save    
ubro(2a)

I don't believe them. I'll keep pulling weeds by hand. Or just let them grow, some are very pretty.

A weed is just a plant growing where you don't want it to be.

ETA, those that use round up commercially are usually suited up appropriately and that includes farmers. It is us, those who live next to, drive next to, or have wells next to, fields being sprayed with glyphosate for both weed control and to ripen crops at the end of the season that are not protected.

3 Likes Save    

Obama’s not the president anymore, and his refusal to be more decisive about glyphosate was one of the biggest criticisms I heard about him.

1 Like Save    

“ETA, those that use round up commercially are usually suited up appropriately and that includes farmers.”

This is not the case where I live. My neighbours are driving their tractors, often with their kids or girlfriends in the cab, with no protection at all. None. City staff use it on school fields with no protective gear at all except goggles and possibly gloves. And migrant workers are often not properly protected, either, especially if they are undocumented and have no negotiating power or possibly even knowledge of what they are applying and how they should be protected.

Save    
ubro(2a)

That is sad miss lindsey, where I live the farmers all know how to dress, they often have special washers at home just for the clothes worn under their protective gear. When I worked in a tree nursery we could refuse to apply roundup around the greenhouses if we were not properly suited and the rest of the workers were never allowed in the area.

1 Like Save    
Joaniepoanie

TDS? Is it really such a stretch that this administration would reverse regulations for big donors or industries that Trump has interests in?

2 Likes Save    
margaritadina

''ubro(2a)

A weed is just a plant growing where you don't want it to be.

''

True! If I may add, humans' labeled some plants as ''weeds'' (to keep themselves busy in their gardens )))) ).

''

Joaniepoanie

TDS?
Is it really such a stretch that this administration would reverse
regulations for big donors or industries that Trump has interests in? ''

Yes. The previous administration did nothing about Monsanto. And the one before it, too. And the one before it. Count all the way back to 1901. And start counting forward the poisons M produces from saccharin - a carcinogen. It was advertised as a ''salvation'' product until users began getting bladder cancer, but were dismissed.

M always gets away with poisoning humans and non-human creatures. Always.

Save    
Embothrium(Sunset Climate Zone 5, USDA Hardiness Zone 8)

Wheat intended for human consumption is another example of a crop that is sprayed with glyphosate to finish it prior to harvest. The advent of the RoundUp Ready soybean has resulted in the soybean supply being permeated by beans coming from plants sprayed with glyphosate.

My background is in commercial horticulture, careless application of pesticides has been commonplace for years.

Save    
batyabeth

then why in the name of heaven would you give a go-ahead to keep using it with fewer regulations Oh. Wait............

Save    
JodiK

I recall reading recently that more "parts per whatever measurement used" is already higher in our food sources than is allowed in drinking water, and there are more lawsuits in the system, class action and otherwise, related to this issue than there should be.

It's not about the health and well being of our populace... it's about greed, for money and power. And that greed will lead to the extinction of our species and pretty much every other one on our planet.

We're being poisoned in the name of avarice.

Save    

The organisms that are being looked after are corporate ones.

Save    
Current Resident(z4 WI)

Theyve also reapproved Dicamba, which in some ways is worse than round-up. Its more toxic, and it is notoriously prone to drifting,s ometimes considerable distance, and killing other people's crops. What's alarming is that neither manufacturers or users are being held accountable by the courts and now regulatory entities that are supposed to regulate them are just throwing up their hands and pretending its not the herbicide at fault its the person mis-using it. LOL- sound familiar? "Pesticides dont kill people, people kill people."

I mean.... so much for property rights! Where are the righties on this? Property rights - meaning you dont get to come onto my property and destroy any part of it.

Guess Im sensitive to this issue after living 5 yrs with my back yard routinely decimated by railroad application of 2,4-D until we finally filed a complaint with the state entity that enforces EPA regs. So last summer they cut back drastically and we didnt have same problem (although evidence is 2,4-D remains in soil for some variable length of time.)

I can see the writing on the wall and am making plans to sell/move - once the EPA is gutted and the regs fallen by the wayside, there will be no recourse whatsoever.

Another interesting thing is that all these products have additives for various purposes, to make the product spray and adhere to the plants in certain ways, etc. These additional chemicals can also be toxic as well but little research has been done on them or how they interact with other chemicals.

1 Like Save    

Then there is dumping, wherein unneeded quantities of active ingredients are disposed of by pesticide manufacturers by mixing them into other products. So that what is listed on the label of a container of something a body buys may not be the full extent of what is in that container.

With the result that when the weed train rolls by your place it could be getting soaked with something more than just 2,4-D. Not that the 2,4-D by itself isn't bad enough.

And if open topped cars of coal happen to be going past your place you are getting toxics exposure from the dust blowing off of those also. If it were me I would move just for that reason alone, as far as I am concerned really nobody should be living in close proximity to anything involving large scale industrial activity. Because health hazards are so often present.

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"The agency is doubling down on its claims that the chemical, glyphosate, doesn’t pose a danger to humans despite thousands of lawsuits that attribute cancer to Roundup."

Good grief. What do "thousands of lawsuits" tell us about the risks to humans?

Given the 24/7 ads inviting anyone who ever used Roundup and then got cancer (after this, therefore because of this) to sign up, one would expect "thousands of lawsuits" whether or not the chemical was at fault.

Save    
matthias_lang

The original post mentions it, but I thought I'd underscore that Bayer has taken over Monsanto.

Save    

When somebody gets cancer from the Monsanto herbicide product, then Bayer can sell them aspirin for the pain.

Save    
bob_cville

Since it is so safe the EPA ought to intentionally introduce it into the air supply and water supply within all of their buildings and the homes of all of the top EPA employees. They'll be fine.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Home Innovations Natural Swimming Pools: More Beauty, No Chemicals
Keep your skin and the environment healthy with a pool that cleans itself, naturally
Full Story
Gardening Guides Weed War: When and How to Use Chemical Herbicides
Before you spray, arm yourself with knowledge about which weed killers — natural or synthetic — are right for your yard
Full Story
Your First House So You're Thinking About Getting a Dog
Prepare yourself for the realities of training, cost and the impact that lovable pooch might have on your house
Full Story