Emily, When will we be getting an "ignore" button?

jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

Emily, please please please it's about time that we should be allowed the possibility of an "ignore" button so that we no longer have to endure certain posters trying to disrupt threads that do not suit their narrative. Take for example the "Aunt Jemima" thread. This is a serious issue that is being made light of by posters who chose to disrupt the thread by carpet bomb postings and flippant remarks. I would like to be able to not see these posters since they are not contributing anything to the discussion. I want to have this discussion but cannot do it under these circumstances - it's not fair to the poster of the thread and it's not fair to those who want to participate.

We are no longer able to have serious and fair discussions because of these people. I am trying to be fair and not point fingers at anyone specific but just a glance at the anatomy of the thread and you will see that certain people are approaching the theme in very bad faith.

Please help us out here.

SaveComment42Like14
Comments (42)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chipotle

As soon as I see certain names I immediately SOB. Not interested in their games.

7 Likes Save    
queenmargo

We are no longer able to have serious and fair discussions because of these people.

Can you believe the nerve?

2 Likes Save    

I am sincere in my belief that there should be some kind of mechanism to "clean up" and "streamline" the conversations as we see fit.

5 Likes Save    
don_socal

Lots of Scroll on by on this board, so much I hardly post at all.

7 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Then Scroll on by is good.

2 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Not in my opinion. Don is a wonderful addition to this forum.

Kate

16 Likes Save    
margaritadina

May be it's a good idea. Having that button available I won't have to read the President plans to kill his enemies and has a ''hit list''.

Save    
Del Phinium

"I am sincere in my belief that there should be some kind of mechanism to "clean up" and "streamline" the conversations as we see fit."

As who sees fit? Who do propose gets this authority? Individual posters? Which ones? Are one poster's opinions more valid than another's?

5 Likes Save    
Toby

Del Phinium, it would only remove it from the eyes of the user, not the entire forum.

7 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Not in my opinion. Don is a wonderful addition to this forum.

Kate, no one said Don is not a wonderful addition to this forum.

If Don hardly posts, then I have less to Scroll on By to. Works for me. Then Scroll on by is good.

1 Like Save    

Are one poster's opinions more valid than another's?

As a matter of fact, yes. I have a right not to be verbally assaulted by posters whose opinions I do not chose to read. It's hard to SOB when a thread is being carpet bombed.

11 Likes Save    
chipotle

The Cooking Light bulletin board allowed ignoring. It worked beautifully!

5 Likes Save    
cattyles

Please help us out, Emily. Some of us really miss sincere discussion.

Del, it has been mentioned by Emily that an ignore button is in the works. Then individuals can ignore posts/posters. It won’t change the threads as others see them. It’s as the individual wishes to change how they see a thread. No one else will know which posters or disruptions a person ignores.

7 Likes Save    
lurker111

I basically read the title of the thread and know where it's going. I'm glad I didn't touch that one. I think we all know what to expect from each other at this point.

2 Likes Save    
mudhouse

No one else will know which opinions or disruptions a person ignores.

Well, I'll make a prediction; there will be plenty of posts saying things like: "oh, thanks for clarifying, I didn't understand what you were referring to, because I always ignore all of that person's comments."

I've been reading here for a while. ;-)

7 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

FWIW "ignore" or "hide" is a personalized setting.

I do feel it is a good exercise in self control to be able to ignore the incendiary trolling attempts, @ which I am *mostly* successful.

1 Like Save    
dandyfopp

Seems like it has been a long time coming.

I imagine if we do get it its going to cut the time spent maintaining this forum by a lot--and make the forum a better experience for a bunch of folks.

Win win.

8 Likes Save    
chipotle

^^^

True! I can't understand why anyone would be opposed to it.

5 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Cattyles, I understand why you want the Ignore Button--I too am sick and tired of the continual interruptions by flippant remarks and irrelevant comments from the pro-Trumpers--floods of them at times. They are obviously intended to squelch discussion, and they are in fact beginning to take over the forum.

However, I don't see how an Ignore Button solves the problem. I could ignore the posts I don't like, but everybody else would still be reading all the posts? Would make for a very disjointed "discussion" to say the least.

Or is that the point--that a couple posters would go off and have a private conversation, leaving the rest of the forum to the wide-open --er--"discussions" hardly seems like the right word, does it!

Perhaps I'm not understanding how Ignore Buttons work or how they promote discussions.

Kate

2 Likes Save    
cattyles

I think it would be blissful, Kate. Somewhat disjointed is better than ruined by disruptive comments.

7 Likes Save    
olliesmom

If there was an ignore button, half the posters would be ignored-not good business for Houzz, IMO.

1 Like Save    

In normal circumstances, the people I would like to ignore are not contributing to the conversation. I don't think they would be missed. Of course, you always have the option NOT to ignore if the random, off topic comments don't bother you.

9 Likes Save    
Toby

I'd like to be able to read conservative and liberal opinions that are, to quote the forum guidelines, "respectful and thoughtful, without insult and personal attack" without the commercial interruptions from those who don't really have much to contribute to the topic. There aren't many posters like that but they do seem to overtake the threads at times. I don't know why disruptions are allowed here. They aren't on other Houzz forums.

9 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Im not sure how it works. If I ignore someone once do I never see any of their posts ever again? Do I have to press ignore for every thread?

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Depends on what type of options they give us...Ignore user or ignore post.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

For those of you who want an ignore button, try this: literally stop reading a post the second you see the user’s name. Just scroll by. Every post, every thread. Now, if you do this for a period of time and literally never ever cheat and look back and read in order to make sense of the subsequent conversation, then the ignore button could be good for good. You’ve also just proved that you can effectively ignore people without any changes to the forum.

If we do get an ignore button, it could be fun to see a count of how many people ignore each of us. Right by where it says how many people are following us.

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Ignore user or ignore post.

If the latter, do you read a post in order to decide whether to ignore it?

4 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Ignore user is what we are talking about, the other makes no sense.

And you see nothing of the user you ignore.

6 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Foas......yes, the problem is if you ignore while reading a thread, the thread is not going to make sense.

Might be better to just ignore whole threads by posters or of subject matters you don’t like?

Save    
cattyles

The people that enjoy HT as is won’t have any need to utilize the ignore feature.

Joanie, I think more threads will make more sense with ignore choices.

5 Likes Save    

I contend that the thread makes less sense when it is carpet bombed.

15 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Joaniepoanie: "yes, the problem is if you ignore while reading a thread, the thread is not going to make sense."

Actually, this depends on the poster. IMO some posters rarely contribute meaningful info. There's some on "both sides of Trump support" that I'd ignore.

I would prefer 'ignore comment' ---- just have to see the ID to know whether to ignore.

Save    
Embothrium(Sunset Climate Zone 5, USDA Hardiness Zone 8)

Yes: threads with certain right leaning individuals trying to dominate them are already a poor read anyway - viewing a thread with an Ignore function In use would just be a "cleaner" version of scrolling by participants that a person doing the scrolling already isn't reading. If nothing else, it would be a time saver in those instances where a party that is Ignored is one of those that habitually and deliberately carpet bombs.

6 Likes Save    
chipotle

I don't know why disruptions are allowed here. They aren't on other Houzz forums.

I hadn't thought about that, but you're 100% right!

5 Likes Save    
Emily H(9)

Hi there,

You all currently have an ignore post feature in the flagging function. When you flag a post, it collapses for you, and you don't see it anymore. A small piece of advice - don't keep going back to look at it after you do that. Controlling your own experience is under your control as we speak, controlling everyone else's experience is not.

This topic is far afield from the purpose of the Houzz site, and probably drains the most resources in terms of the user and content issues. It is a legacy topic from Gardenweb and would most likely not be here, if building this site from scratch. There seem to be a handful of users that are not able to participate without making things personal against other users. That's not a function of the tools available.

There are many, many places online that are better suited for vitriolic participation. It may be that one is better suited for those that would like to disparage other users directly while discussing topics. Accounts that are not able to do that will continue to be removed. Accounts that return dozens of times after being removed for personal attacks will continue to be removed on sight.

No one is under any obligation to read any other user's posts, nor are they under any obligation to provide their own. Participation here is 100% voluntary.

Please do continue to use the flagging function, and remember that best practice is to not engage with content that you find objectionable. That is true here and anywhere else on the internet.

Thanks.

14 Likes Save    
patriceny

I don't see a thread called Aunt Jemima. Must be it got flagged?

I wanted to read it before I commented on this thread.

Without having seen the thread which started this post, I will say I am unlikely to use an ignore button.

I read here a fair bit, but post only occasionally. I usually only take the time to write something up if I think I can actually contribute something useful

This is where I'm going to get all pragmatic on you - this forum is a microcosm of our entire country right now. What I wish, more than anything, is that everyone could learn that just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean you have to fight them, or hate them, or start hurling insults at them. FYI, both sides do it. If you just read what I posted and think it only applies to the "other side", then you are not seeing things clearly.

It is entirely possible to participate here without getting into a fight with anyone.

8 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Emily, when I flag a thread, it doesn't disappear from my feed.

Save    
Toby

You all currently have an ignore post feature in the flagging function.
When you flag a post, it collapses for you, and you don't see it
anymore.

If I'm using it as an ignore feature, does my flagging it alert a moderator?

1 Like Save    
Emily H(9)

@ziemia - It should. I'll check on that for you.

@Toby - Yes.

1 Like Save    
Toby

To be clear, we should select "I just do not like it" if we're using it to ignore a post and then you'll know it isn't being flagged to be moderated?

Save    
Emily H(9)

@Toby - If you are flagging something for a reason other than spam or abuse, then "I just don't like it" is a good indicator that it is not an issue that needs further investigation, but a personal preference.

1 Like Save    
Ann

"This topic is far afield from the purpose of the Houzz site, and probably drains the most resources in terms of the user and content issues. It is a legacy topic from Gardenweb and would most likely not be here, if building this site from scratch."

I think this is a very important point, that all of us who post on HT should keep in mind. I actually love to think about and talk about political issues/elections/polls/candidates; and I hope HT stays. It worries me that the resource drain on Houzz personnel will eventually make HT go poof:) I'd miss it. I think we should all be a little more grateful for a place to have these discussions, a little better behaved, and a little less demanding.

3 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular Get Organized: Take a 10-Day Simplification Challenge
Organizational expert Emily Ley helps us get a jump-start on our New Year’s clear-outs
Full Story
Privacy Screens Get Backyard Privacy the Subtler, Stylish Way
Why settle for a hulking brick wall when plants, screens and other refined backyard dividers do the job with panache?
Full Story
Your First House So You're Thinking About Getting a Dog
Prepare yourself for the realities of training, cost and the impact that lovable pooch might have on your house
Full Story