Pennsylvania Judge Accused Of Calling Black Juror 'Aunt Jemima'

dublinbay z6 (KS)

A judge! And we wonder where justice has gone.

--------------------

"A Pennsylvania judge has been taken off all cases and assigned to “administrative duties” after a complaint accused him of calling a black juror “Aunt Jemima.”

In a complaint filed by defense attorney Joe Otte and obtained by KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh, Allegheny County Common Pleas Judge Mark Tranquilli was upset after a jury issued a “not guilty” verdict at the end of a drug trial that lasted two weeks.

In a closed-door meeting with Assistant District Attorney Ted Dutowski and Otte, Tranquilli asked Dutowski why he had allowed a black woman on the jury, according to the complaint.

“You weren’t out of strikes when you decided to put Aunt Jemima on the jury,” Tranquilli allegedly said, referring to the option Dutowski had to object to her selection.

Tranquilli then accused the juror of being involved with selling drugs.

“You know darn well that when she goes home to her baby daddy, he’s probably slinging heroin, too,” Tranquilli is accused of saying."

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/pennsylvania-judge-accused-of-calling-black-juror-aunt-jemima-201425669.html

------------------

Kate

SaveComment27Like
Comments (27)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dublinbay z6 (KS)

You'd rather sweep it all under a rug and go on pretending all judges are upright and moral?

Just don't want to know? If no one talks about it, then it doesn't exist?

Kate

6 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Because we should pick obscure examples of possible racism or agression and grill our friends about it? Poll them to see how they feel?

'Hey, a group of high school basketball players in Trenton N.J. just beat the snot out of their JV coach. What do you think about that?"

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

hay, our markets are definitely made better by ethnic representation.

Save    
cattyles

That’s disheartening, Kate. It sounds like it’s being taken seriously in Pittsburgh but I wonder how often something like that is swept under the rug.

4 Likes Save    
Toby

A judge using words like that is not obscure, which seems to denote that it's unimportant. You would prefer that his racism be hidden?

1 Like Save    
Toby

It's sounding like "no witnesses" is the new Republican policy. Say and do whatever you'd like and we'll take care of the witnesses.

I wonder if "Aunt Jemima" is still living on the Democratic plantation. Vote Trump! MAWA!

4 Likes Save    
ohiomom

I am reminded of a saying from my childhood, "pretend it is a bad dream and it will go away". For some people in the world that is how they get by everyday, by pretending things like racism are just bad dreams and if they don't acknowledge it then it just goes away.

7 Likes Save    
leona_2008

If you say you have a headache and someone tells you don't have a headache, you don't have a headache, right? People are saying there is no racial bias here so there is no racial bias! Or if there is racial bias, what's the big deal?

Tell me when you have headache and I'll say the magic words.

4 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Hay- I GET IT.

You can do this all day long and they won't get it. It is all about keeping the racial divide. How many threads are started by the ones who start these negative threads with positive threads of things done to each other? No, they just drill down on the negative. If there was some fair and balanced threads then it would be more credible, but we see through this.

1 Like Save    
Toby

So the answer to institutional racism is a smile?

If only whites smiled more, we wouldn't have needed the Emancipation Proclamation and the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts.

9 Likes Save    
leona_2008

Self awareness is so underrated.

1 Like Save    
leona_2008

You are on to something there, Toby. When you refer to a black woman as Aunt Jemima, say it with a smile.

5 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Petty charges of discrimination are tossed about far too often. Dismissive reaction to truly concerning cases is the result.

2 Likes Save    
Toby

but we see through this.

I don't know what you see but doesn't it surprise you that a white judge who appears to be only in his early fifties, is highly educated, and who got elected as a judge, thinks it's okay to call a black juror, who is doing her civic duty that most avoid, feels comfortable calling her Aunt Jemima in front of another white man? Then he goes on with a string of offensive stereotypes.

Maybe he should have said it with a smile.

7 Likes Save    
foodonastump

What is there to be dismissive about on this topic, FOAS?

Nothing. That’s the problem. The door has been opened so wide that they write off any charges of racism. This case could be interesting because it supports the notion of institutional racism. If judges feel free to talk like this, where are we? But no, people are sick of the topic due to too many trivial accusations. Or at least that’s what we’ve set them up to hide behind.

2 Likes Save    
Toby

So it's not a defense of the judge, it's dismissiveness of the topic? It comes off as defense when they call it obscure, negative, unfair, and unbalanced.

If the reason they dismiss it is because we talk about race too much, what is the amount of talk about race issues that they would find suitable?

3 Likes Save    
elvis

This is what the thread is about. From the OP link:

In a closed-door meeting with Assistant District Attorney Ted Dutowski and Otte, Tranquilli asked Dutowski why he had allowed a black woman on the jury, according to the complaint.

“You weren’t out of strikes when you decided to put Aunt Jemima on the jury,” Tranquilli allegedly said, referring to the option Dutowski had to object to her selection.

Tranquilli then accused the juror of being involved with selling drugs.

“You know darn well that when she goes home to her baby daddy, he’s probably slinging heroin, too,” Tranquilli is accused of saying.

The judge is now being investigated by the state judicial conduct board.

He said, he said, and what did the 3rd guy in the conversation say about this? The state judicial conduct board is investigating, this is appropriate. If the investigation leads to a determination that Tranquilli did indeed make the disturbing statements, the board will proceed accordingly. Until that happens, these are allegations made by the defense attorney, nothing more or less.

Where is the statement of Dutkowski? I'll reserve an opinion until that is revealed.

1 Like Save    
Embothrium(Sunset Climate Zone 5, USDA Hardiness Zone 8)

If the reason they dismiss it is because we talk about race too much, what is the amount of talk about race issues that they would find suitable?

And when is racism trivial? How much more enslavement and genocide needs to be in the history of it before it merits being objected to in every instance?

7 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Some posters may dismiss the topic, but I intend to continue talking about any examples of racism that I come across--here and everywhere else I go.

I am not aware that there are a bunch of "trivial accusations" of racism out there. Admittedly, some cases are much "bigger" than others, but some are "trivial"?

Does the same hold for sexual assaults? Some are "trivial" and therefore should be ignored?

Don't think so.

Kate

9 Likes Save    
blfenton

And it's a topic that should never be shut down,

12 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Hoot....how many times does the right post threads similar to this? Every chance they get! Only they are about citizens or undocumented people, not judges. It’s usually about a crime a minority has committed against a white person. So who’s keeping the racial divide?

Actually, with all the conservative judges being appointed, we may be seeing more of this. I won’t be surprised if there are some impeachments. And Trumpers who commit crimes will no doubt appear before some of these conservative judges, who won’t know they are Trumpers. Be careful what you wish for.

1 Like Save    
Embothrium(Sunset Climate Zone 5, USDA Hardiness Zone 8)

Rather than going away the Good Old Boy network has been gaining ground.

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

“Trivial” seems to have hit an unintended nerve. No act of racism is trivial. It’s my observation and opinion that we have seen charges of racism where the evidence supporting that charge is limited to the races of the conflicting parties. Those are what I was referring to.

I will say I’ve seen less of this here lately.

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

If we don't say something every time this sort of thing happens then people can pretend that it almost never happens. I for one and with those here who think it always has to be pointed out.

As for smiling, traditionally it was Aunt Jemima and her family members who were expected to do all the grinning.

6 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

To me what is so sad is that this guy's name is Tranquilli - he is clearly of Italian heritage. It was not long along that his very own people were the butt of horrendous discrimination in this country. There are plenty of names that he and his family would have been called. There were certain parts of the country where he would not have been welcomed. To be a judge a certain amount of empathy is required. This man appears to have none whatsoever.

3 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

It was not long along that his very own people were the butt of horrendous discrimination in this country.

Add Tranquilli to the Tom Tancredo school of zero awareness of history.

Save    
haydayhayday

And shutting down any opinions other than yours is surely not helping you connect to anyone other than your own echo chamber.

You got that much out of it.

Free exchange of ideas is the loser here.

If you only want YOUR voice to be heard, today, here, you've accomplished that.

Your message got completely lost to any reasonable people.

Too bad, too, that you will never see this post.

Hay

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Farmhouses 15 Farmhouse Kitchens That Made Us Swoon This Month
Raw wood, natural light, shiplap siding — we just couldn’t get enough of these farmhouse-style kitchens uploaded to Houzz in January
Full Story