Barr has to approve any investigations into 2020 candidates

Kathy

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/481795-barr-directs-fbi-to-get-his-approval-before-investigating-2020

Attorney General William Barr on Wednesday reportedly released a new set of restrictions covering FBI investigations of political candidates.

The memo, obtained by The New York Times, stated that the Department of Justice has the responsibility to make sure that elections are “free from improper activity or influences." Barr's orders come after Justice Department inspector general Michael Horowitz found that the FBI's investigation into President Trump's former campaign aide, Carter Paige, was ridden with errors and falsified info.

Under the new guidelines, the FBI must get Barr’s approval before investigating any 2020 presidential candidates or their senior staff, the Times reports

Agents must first talk with relevant officials and the Justice Department before opening any probe into “illegal contributions, donations or expenditures by foreign nationals to a presidential or congressional campaign.”

According to the newspaper, Barr is the first attorney general to impose such guidelines, though past attorneys general have advised the FBI to use the utmost sensitivity when it comes to political investigations.

Barr has sparked widespread criticism over how he has handled politically charged cases in the past, such as the delivery of the Mueller report to Congress.

Barr has also overseen the federal prosecution of Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman, business associates of Trump's personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani, on campaign finance charges. Parnas was central to the now-ended impeachment proceedings, as he repeatedly claimed that he had damning evidence concerning Giuliani and Trump's dealings with Ukraine. Prosecutors in New York are also investigating whether Giuliani broke foreign influence laws while he was in Ukraine on the behalf of the president.

The new Justice Department guidelines will reportedly stay in effect for the 2020 elections and then will be reviewed to see it they should remain in place.

I wonder if this includes the new investigation Grassley wanted into Biden and his son?

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Izzy Mn(4)

Trump has his revenge list ready it sounds like. Will he be sending it to Barr for them all to be investigated for something.

1 Like Save    
bleusblue2

Yes we do like a president who takes vengeance seriously.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

I think Barr is doing it so Trump can’t be investigated. Wouldn’t he be considered a candidate?

3 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Wonder if Ivanka's voting machines are on order....already programmed. And don’t think he wouldn’t!!

2 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Well Trump's vengeance has began. I was looking at YouTube and a ad appeared from Trump to start investigation on Bidens and Ukraine asking for you to sign a petition.

He is going to go on a bloody vengeance rampage. He will be abusing the power as president for personal vendettas.

Dump Trump 2020

2 Likes Save    
bleusblue2

So -- is it going to be the War of the Petitions? What a jerk.

Save    
Kathy

Basically the FBI has been stripped of power by Barr. Trump calling the top of FBI Scum.

Save    
batyabeth

what could go wrong? I simply can't imagine what could be next, unless it's actually arresting people for having "dangerous" opinions.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

I don't trust Barr in the least. This order is to protect Trump and his campaign staff from investigations in 2020. Giving them cover to seek all the foreign influence and dirty money they want.

What more does Trump need in order to do anything he wishes in 2020........an AG who says he can't be charged with a crime, an AG who believes his powers are limitless, an aquital for shaking down a foreign ally and now protection from all investigations. Thia is an extremely dangerous situation.

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

Batybeth, I keep waiting for HTs to say we can’t criticize Trump. Big brother won’t allow free speech if Trump gets control of the media.

1 Like Save    
numbersjunkie

I spotted this site the other day - a freedom of the press tracker for the US. It's a format for journalists to report threats, attacks and such. Who would've thought we'd ever need that? https://pressfreedomtracker.us/all-incidents/journalist-stopped-border-told-passport-flagged/

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Working With an Architect How to Hire the Right Architect
Your perfect match is out there. Here’s how to find good candidates — and what to ask at that first interview
Full Story
Most Popular The Inevitable Future of Drones Around Your Home
As Google joins the push for airborne deliveries, it seems only a matter of time before neighborhoods are buzzing with drones. Is that OK?
Full Story
Life Soapstone Counters: A Love Story
Love means accepting — maybe even celebrating — imperfections. See if soapstone’s assets and imperfections will work for you
Full Story