Trump Finalizes Industry Friendly Plans For Gutted Utah Monuments

dublinbay z6 (KS)

Our great anti-environmentalist!

Trump loves to cite records he thinks he has made. Well, here is one of his records:

Trump is responsible for "the largest rollback of national monuments in U.S. history" with his proclamations "opening up vast swaths [more than 2 million acres!] of previously protected federal land to extractive industries."

And he wonders why we are not cheering him.

---------------------------

"The Interior Department on Wednesday adopted final management plansthat allow for mining, drilling and other development on lands that the administration recently removed from Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante national monuments in Utah.

The move comes a little more than two years after Trump signed a pair of proclamations to carve more than 2 million acres from the two protected Utah sites ― the largest rollback of national monuments in U.S. history — opening up vast swaths of previously protected federal land to extractive industries.

[. . .]

The Trump administration has said that shrinking the monuments was about reversing federal overreach and not aimed at boosting energy and mineral development, but reporting by The New York Times and other outlets found otherwise. The boundary of Bears Ears National Monument, a 1.35 million-acre landscape named after a pair of buttes and home to thousands of Native American archeological and cultural sites, was shrunk roughly 85 percent. The 1.87 million-acre Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, the largest land national monument in the country, was cut roughly in half.

[. . .]

“It’s the height of arrogance for Trump to rush through final decisions on what’s left of Bears Ears and Grand Staircase Escalante while we’re fighting his illegal evisceration of these national monuments in court,” Randi Spivak, public lands director at the Center for Biological Diversity, said in a statement. . . .

Asked Wednesday why the Interior Department didn’t wait to finalize management plans until its legal challenges were settled, Hammond said, “If we stopped and waited for every piece of litigation to be resolved, we would never be able to do much of anything around here.”

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/trump-national-monument-utah-181514465.html

----------------------------------------------------

Might as well get ready--there's probably going to be nothing but depressing news most days for the rest of the coming year. : (

Kate

SaveComment14Like
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

I’m going to post the link for this on another recent thread, if I may?

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Fine. Did I miss another thread on the same topic?

Save    
chipotle

Might as well get ready--there's probably going to be nothing but depressing news most days for the rest of the coming year.

That's been the case since January 20, 2017.

4 Likes Save    
Lars(Z11a, Sunset 24)

Very sad for Utah. Maybe this is partly why Romney voted the way he did.

2 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Last night Colbert said “I have some bad new. It’s the news.”

6 Likes Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

Kate, this is the only thread that I know of for this specific topic, but I think it adds a lot to another thread re: the rollback of regulations.

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5859537/71-years-of-clean-water-acts-rolled-back-by-trump#n=76

1 Like Save    
Kathy

You can just bet Trump is making a lot of quid pro quo’s for these contracts. Reminds me so much of how Putin amassed his wealth and we all know money is Trump’s God.

8 Likes Save    
kadefol

He is downright evil. I don't know how anyone who cares about the creatures we are supposed to share the earth with, and about clean air and water and quality of life for those who come after us, can support him.

3 Likes Save    
barncatz

Kathy, that is a very insightful remark. What a con he is and how successful at it.

1 Like Save    
Embothrium(Sunset Climate Zone 5, USDA Hardiness Zone 8)

Russia is the most polluted country in the world.

1 Like Save    
JodiK

A sad, sad day for our progeny and their future enjoyment of the majesty that is the US portion of the natural continent... and all to line a few pockets with more money.

Disgusting, disturbing, and utterly devoid of anything resembling ethical behavior. I think that about describes trump's hand in taking what belongs to the people... though, in actuality, belonged to the Indigenous First Nations People before they fell to genocide, etc... again, in the name of money.

What do some people not understand about previous generations only borrowing this natural world from future generations... I ask rhetorically?

2 Likes Save    
ohiomom

Republicans are heck bent on destroying what a republican president created.

1 Like Save    
dandyfopp

Destroy what is irreplaceable... all to make that coin.

MAGA.

2 Likes Save    
woodnymph2_gw

Another nail in the coffin of formerly "America the beautiful....". .Teddy Roosevelt must be turning in his grave....

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen of the Week Kitchen of the Week: Style Trumps Ease in a San Francisco Loft
What’s a little ladder climbing when you’ve got a gorgeous-looking kitchen design like this?
Full Story
Life Is Open-Plan Living a Fad, or Here to Stay?
Architects, designers and Houzzers around the world have their say on this trend and predict how our homes might evolve
Full Story
My Houzz My Houzz: Color This Utah Home Terrific
Candy-colored walls lit up by sunlight and a streamlined, open layout make a family’s new house one of a kind
Full Story