DNC Chair Tom Perez Calls For *Recanvass* In Iowa

catkinZ8a

Iowa Democratic chairman responds to DNC call for immediate recanvass

Updated: 12:45 PM CST Feb 6, 2020

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) —

Democratic National Committee Chairman Tom Perez is calling on the Iowa Democratic Party to begin an immediate recanvass of the 2020 Iowa caucus results.

Tom Perez is the Chair of the Democratic National Committee.

On Thursday, he tweeted: "Enough is enough. In light of the problems that have emerged in the implementation of the delegate selection plan and in order to assure public confidence in the results, I am calling on the Iowa Democratic Party to immediately begin a recanvass."
Enough is enough. In light of the problems that have emerged in the implementation of the delegate selection plan and in order to assure public confidence in the results, I am calling on the Iowa Democratic Party to immediately begin a recanvass.
— Tom Perez (@TomPerez) February 6, 2020

Three days after the caucus, results are incomplete and have been plagued with well-documents issues-documented issues.

With 97% of precincts reporting, Pete Buttigieg, a former mayor of South Bend, Indiana, and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders are nearly tied.

Iowa Democratic Party Chair Troy Price released the following statement on the 2020 Iowa Democratic Caucuses developments:

“While I fully acknowledge that the reporting circumstances on Monday night were unacceptable, we owe it to the thousands of Iowa Democratic volunteers and caucusgoers to remain focused on collecting and reviewing incoming results.

Throughout the collection of records of results, the IDP identified inconsistencies in the data and used our redundant paper records to promptly correct those errors. This is an ongoing process in close coordination with precinct chairs, and we are working diligently to report the final 54 precincts to get as close to final reporting as possible.

Going forward, we are fully committed to the integrity of the preferences expressed by dedicated, passionate, and fervent Iowa Democrats. This caucus opened new opportunities for accessibility that were never available before – including over 1,500 caucusgoers attending satellite caucuses in senior living centers, Mosques, and overseas, and first-of-their-kind Spanish language and hand sign sites. This process will not be complete until we honor them.

Since the beginning of the process, we have taken unprecedented steps to gather redundant reports to ensure accuracy of all underlying data. The IDP is nearing completion in collecting redundant materials from all 1,756 precincts, including hand-collecting materials from all 99 counties which are securely stored in Des Moines.

Should any presidential campaign in compliance with the Iowa Delegate Selection Plan request a recanvass, the IDP is prepared. In such a circumstance, the IDP will audit the paper records of report, as provided by the precinct chairs and signed by representatives of presidential campaigns. This is the official record of the Iowa Democratic caucus, and we are committed to ensuring the results accurately reflect the preference of Iowans.”

The Iowa Democratic Party has 48 hours to respond to a valid, written, request for recanvass, signed by the candidate. Any request for recanvass must include the scope and credible explanation of the reasons of the request.

The technical glitches plaguing the caucus have made an already complicated candidate selection process even more complicated, forcing state officials to apologize and raising questions about Iowa’s traditional prime spot in picking nominees.

The caucus crisis was an embarrassing twist after months of promoting Iowa as a chance for Democrats to find some clarity in a jumbled field. Instead, after a buildup that featured seven rounds of debates, nearly $1 billion spent nationwide and a year of political jockeying, caucus day ended with no winner and no official results.

https://www.kcci.com/article/dnc-chairman-calls-on-iowa-dems-for-immediate-recanvass/30795825

SaveComment22Like2
Comments (22)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HU-885118952

Just a reminder...

There were TWO caucuses on Monday night.

One went off without a hitch and one is a steaming pile and still not over.

Guess which one the Democrats ran?

8 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Tom Perez needs to recanvas himself out of a job. And the person who thought hiring a company named "Shadow" would signal caucus-results transparency.

7 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

Is Crooked Hillary commenting?

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

Our county's caucuses - on both sides - went well, and got reported accurately, with the app [on the D side]. But then again, there were only 1,000 - out of a county of 15,000, that went to the Hawkeye caulkeye. There were precinct leader folks with flip phones and poor cellular connections elsewhere across the other 98 counties trying to use shadow, and then when the IDP put something on the web, they inadvertently put the IDP main PBX number ON the page, which bolluxed things up even more - flood of calls with not enuff phone staff.

Too bad, retail politics with the presidential hopefuls were fun, while they lasted ...

The Shadow knows, knew, and shafted us all ...

BTW, mayor Pete bought the app too. Plus, the app has a very interesting provenance.

dkB

3 Likes Save    
mudhouse

I don't grieve about the Iowa caucus problems, because I'm not on the side of the Dems. At all!

But the fiasco was terribly unfair to a lot of every day volunteers who worked very hard in the process, as well as to the candidates, and to their staff people. I'd have to be pretty stone-hearted not to feel bad for those who were let down by decisions made by the Iowa Dem Party. Those volunteers were only doing what they should have done; supporting their candidates, and participating in the process. They sure deserved better than they got from the people in charge.

I have to wonder if any of them will reconsider the Dem party in general after seeing how this was handled. I don't really expect that, but I know I was getting pretty fed up with the performance of the Republican party, before Trump ran. So it seems at least possible, to me. Most people have a limit to the amount of frustration they're willing to put up with.

No political party (on either side) should ever assume eternal allegiance, even from people with pretty loyal voting histories.

5 Likes Save    
mudhouse

bragu_DSM 5, thanks for weighing in. I was thinking it would be interesting to hear more directly from people in Iowa, instead of only relying on articles. I'm still confused about what exactly went wrong. I suspect it was more than one problem that contributed to the failure (sometimes lethal combinations are made up of smaller elements that don't seem all that problematic, on their own.)

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

Bloomberg reported on Wednesday evening that state party leaders were saying that the hotline had been clogged by President Donald Trump’s supporters on caucus night. The number had been posted online, and people started flooding the line to call and express their support for Trump — not to report results. NBC News subsequently reported that the hotline number was posted on internet forum 4chan as well as a directive to “clog the lines.” According to the outlet, one user remarked, “Uh oh how unfortunate it would be for a bunch of mischief makers to start clogging the lines

There are paper ballots to back up the accuracy of the results.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

I have a bridge for sale.

You know it's bad when they start blaming us for their incompetence.

5 Likes Save    
Kathy

If it’s criminal or dishonest, look at Trump. I hope they use paper ballots even if we don’t know for weeks who won. Trump et al cannot be trusted.

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

Because paper ballots never go missing. Nah.

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

Lol, worried Trump won’t win if the election is honest?

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Trump ate the paper ballots.

1 Like Save    
kadefol

Trump ate the paper ballots.

Good for him, he looks like he could use a lot more fiber.

No re-canvassing
needs to be done. Troy Price already stated they are using paper ballots
to verify and correct errors as they occur. Biden is so far behind, he
will not get any delegates. And Warren is far enough behind Sanders and
Buttigieg to where it is impossible for her to catch up. They need to
wait for the remaining 3% and, if there isn't a clear winner, split the
delegates between Sanders and Buttigieg and get on with it.

Save    
HU-885118952

This must be all that countin' and readin' and math stuff Lemon was laughing about the other day...lol

3 Likes Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

"There were precinct leader folks with flip phones and poor cellular connections elsewhere across the other 98 counties trying to use shadow, and then when the IDP put something on the web, they inadvertently put the IDP main PBX number ON the page, which bolluxed things up even more - flood of calls with not enuff phone staff."

LMAO! Flip phones and poor service. LOL! Sure they did...

That is seriously funny. Sure it wasnt the fax machines?

1 Like Save    
catkinZ8a

1 Like Save    
catkinZ8a

1 Like Save    
catkinZ8a

1 Like Save    
lurker111

which bolluxed things up

It's the little things that give it away,

Save    
althea_gw

How could they have a re-canvas when they haven't even completed the first canvas? Perez should resign.

1 Like Save    
numbersjunkie

Been reading a lot on Twitter (Yeah, I know). Several of the Precinct captains have posted their data compared to what was reported, and even a reporter showed pics of the caucus groups which shows numbers inconsistent with the published tallies. It hardly seems like clerical errors. Or even reporting errors. The numbers are wildly inaccurate and make no sense. I know the app was not used by many precincts, but it sure sounds like something was hacked, possibly just to disrupt the process, not necessarily to help/harm anyone in particular. We may never know.

Save    
loonlakelaborcamp(3 A/B)

Reminds me of Hugh Hewitt quote, "If it isn't close, they can't cheat."

Save