Story is back to wanting other countries to pay

foodonastump

Withheld, shortly after the perfect phone call, because Germany et al weren’t paying their share. (Can we now stop saying he didn’t withhold aid at least?) And the loyal republicans say there and clapped. How embarrassing. But he fed their egos to last a bit!

SaveComment8Like3
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nana H

The EU pays more than the US. He surely has a thing about Germany doesn't he.

Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

What are you referencing?

Save    
ubro(2a)

However, according to the latest OECD figures, Germany is the third largest donor to Ukraine after the European Union as a whole and the US.

Additionally, figures provided to DW by the German Foreign Ministry indicate that since 2014, the country has pumped almost €1.2 billion ($1.3 billion) of bilateral financial aid into Ukraine. This total includes some €544 million of official development cooperation, €110 million in humanitarian aid, a financial loan of €500 million, and some €25 million for stabilization measures, such as conflict monitoring and the promotion of the rule of law.

Germany has paid another €200 million to Ukraine via EU aid contributions.https://www.dw.com/en/what-does-germany-do-for-ukraine/a-50590709

For Trump to say his concern was that Germany and the other EU countries were not doing their fair share and that was part and parcel of his reason to withhold aid is bogus. Does no one ever tell him the facts?

Edited for clarity

4 Likes Save    
foodonastump

He surely has a thing about Germany doesn't he.

Jealousy. Didn’t take 3 years for them to have a dictator.

2 Likes Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how much of this tied to their (EU) energy concerns?

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

From everything I have read, everything. Ukraine is a major corridor for pipelines. That the EU and all its constituent countries should take such an interest in a strategically placed country is a given. With their history with Russia it is only sensible.

Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

Thanks patriciae.

Sadly enough I went down the black google hole and read all about the EU granting loaning and investing billions and billions securing the Ukraine as an indebted partner. Worse IMO is the EU's enriching of Russia (Putin). I have never liked the EU playing every side. They are the same with Iran.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

If the EU's energy source is Russia then how do they avoid enriching Russia? I do know that Germany has a very aggressive program for greater energy independence with solar and wind. You see isolated farms with mass panels on barns all over. All the details of what goes on in international energy markets is way above my pay grade but we play all the sides as well. We are just bigger and not dependent ourselves on Russian oil and gas but it all affects the whole of the market.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Makeovers A Quirky Country Kitchen With a Story to Tell
Creative thinking goes a long way in this kitchen packed with love for family and old treasures
Full Story
For Pros What Stories for Pros Do You Want to See on Houzz?
We want to publish more stories that serve you and your business, and we’re looking for your expert input
Full Story