SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drirh

Abestos containing black mastic under water heater/furnace

Tia Tyme
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We bought our first house and the basement had asbestos tile and asbestos containing black mastic. Because of water damage issues and tiles being in poor condition, we decided to have it removed by a epa certified lead abatement company. They ground up the mastic safely. Unfortunately, they could not get access to the area under the water heater and gas furnace. They removed the tile but the half centimeter mastic remains there. I would like to cover this up for safety reasons. Initally we were going to epoxy the floors on the unfinished side of the basement but I dont think epoxy will adhere well to the mastic under the appliances, and so this wont cover it up. I also considered getting discount luxury vinyl plank to do the floor which would be great but I worry the 5 mm height difference might be a problem. My final idea was to contruct a low 5mm high 'box' with our glowforge to cover the area and then do whatever flooring I want around it. I don't really want to play around with solvents or scraping. Any thoughts or other suggestions? Do you think luxury vinyl plank would accomadate the slight step up?

Comment (1)