SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherrygirl5

Sa-Sn S daylilies 2020

sherrygirl zone5 N il
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We will be posting daylilies Sa through Sn today. The quote of the day : “ If it’s free, it’s advice; If you pay for it, it’s counseling; if you can use either one, it’s a miracle.”

Sea Dragon is one of my favoriteS. It catches my eye immediately in the garden and has been a very good performer. It’s a late midseason bloomer here.

Sailor Sky is a late season bloomer with great color. This photo is the true color here. It’s done very well in its two full seasons here.

I have one more that fits in this category that didn't bloom last season, Silky Skies. I hope it comes back next season, it’s a Lambertson. Last season was the first time I had daylilies that didn’t bloom, I had at least six. Maybe I had been lucky to this point ???

Sherry

Comments (40)

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

Let's see if I can do this right this time ! LOL !

New to the gardens is Petit's Send me a Rainbow

Here is Screamsicle

Second Glance is such a soft apricot color and a lovely 6 inch bloom which always looks so much bigger because the bloom glows

Another pretty apricot colored bloom .......Scatterbrain is a double

Simmering Elephants is one of my odd color daylilies

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked signet_gw(6b)
  • signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

Love the look of Snake in the Grass Boo

Seven Locks is one of my fav's

Sir Blackstem has a small flower but lots of them

A little tired tonight so will possibly post more later

• Related Discussions

NOIDS

Q

Comments (7)
    We can see most of your pictures if we click on the link. We can also scroll through your entire album. You have some pretty seedlings--a very wide range of forms and types. I especially liked the first one you posted--the large orange with the pointy petals. That is unique. (My husband liked that one too since orange is his favorite color) Do the petals always stick out rather than recurve? Another I really liked was the purple one with the watermark. I wish I could tell you how to make your pictures appear, but I am not posting mine using a link. I am just dragging and dropping them from my files from my flashdrive. That works well for me. Your flowers are not NOIDs as I understand the term. They are seedlings that could be given a name whenever you choose to register them. If you know the parentage, that would be the name they would go under until they are registered. NOIDs are usually named cultivars that have lost their names for some reason. They are in no way inferior to the named ones. I have several cultivars that were previously NOIDs but I have been able to identify them. I am just sort of picky about knowing their names--especially because I hybridize and like to have the name for the parentage should I choose to register the plant. I have posted a picture of Northern Fancy to tell a weird story. We had ordered a large number of plants from a grower who is generous about sending bonus plants. We planted two bonus plants side by side--one was named Northern Fancy and the other was High Roller. When High Roller bloomed, I told my husband that it was mislabeled. High Roller is a yellow melon pink blend. It was another year before we realized that the NOID that was supposed to be High Roller was the same as Northern Fancy planted right beside it. I enjoyed looking at your pictures. Nancy
    ...See More

Bosch Refrigerators - Hope I won't regret it

Q

Comments (41)
    We installed the 800 series counter depth fridge (B36CT80SNS) last summer after our gutjob kitchen reno, and have nothing but good things to say about it. Spacious inside and the organization (esp. in the freezer) works really well for us. Seems efficient in its temp regulation and is completely quiet. Love the internal water dispenser (no issues with leaking). And no issues at all with the stainless finish. All in all, we couldn't be happier...at least 6 months in.
    ...See More

Sa-Sn daylilies 2022

Q

Comments (19)
    Sherry, you know your audience well!! Your quotes are always appropriate. I took the day off to get taxes ready (ugh!!) and thought I would try to get a few photos added to these threads. Can you smell procrastination?? All my photos are on my cell phone (over 7000) and I have not uploaded, downloaded, sideloaded them so I am selecting only a few as I find them!! Snow Prince Silky Twilight Shores of Time Sam Abell Shaman-one of my favorite old yellows Simplicity in Motion
    ...See More

FOTESS JANUARY ~ WINTER GREETINGS SWAP

Q

Comments (130)
    Fellow FOTESS friends, I have posted the February swap info today. This a simple card exchange and an optional art project. This month is in memory of one of our original founders Shirley Colosimo. I hope you can join us and if your a member from the past, perhaps you can share a memory of Shirley.
    ...See More
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

LOL Sherry: Your two daylilies btw are absolutely brilliant. I seldom see Polston daylilies posted, and this purple, Sea Dragon, is a beauty in your picture........Heather: Seven Locks is pretty and I always enjoy seeing Snakes in the grass BOO.............Maryl

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

Well, must not be my day to post, let me try again

Sea Dragon looks great, Sherry. I can never get the color right on Sailor Sky here, the light seems to reflect too much off it, combined with my old camera. Send Me a Rainbow is really pretty Heather, and Simmering Elephants is an unusual name for an unusual daylily, I like it.Sailing at Dawn is a good bloomer, but just does not seem to grow. It adds fans, then they disappear in late summer.

Must have been that photo, I tried twice on a better picture of Sailing at Dawn

Sailor Sky is a great plant, so many blooms. this was its 2nd year, but I moved it last year. It has multiplied a lot, and even rebloomed a bit last summer. It is not listed as a rebloomer. I am not big on loud colors like this, but I am on plants with such good bloom habits

San Ignatio is such a pretty color

Santa's Pants, wish it bloomed better

Savannah Debutante, I think it is a little more peachy pink that this pic shows

Screen Pattern is another good plant

Selma Rose is a very early bloomer with huge flowers. Very short though and I think all of it left this year

Shaka Zulu is gorgeous and does wonderful

Shutterbug

Sings the Blues

Shelby Summer blush

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

Well, once it got going, I got all posted in one try! A good day

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    4 years ago

Sarah Christine is a really big flower.

Sea of Cinders is one of our favorites.

See Me-Feel Me-Touch Me does well here.

Bob wanted Sheila Broughton for a long time even though it is short and not very well budded. It is a beautiful flower, but he decided it can leave this season.

Shirley Koch was a gift to our daughter from the hybridizer. It's a great daylily. It's an offspring of White Eyes Pink Dragon.

More to come . . .

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

Lots of pics I like! Sihir stands out to me, the edge looks so neatly pleated. Love Snidely!

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Heather, Seven Locks is my favorite too, it’s a beauty!

Nancy, Savannah Debutante and Screen Pattern are my favorites of yours, love the double!

H. Nancy, Shirley Koch and Sihir are lovely. Small World Fire in the Hole is right up my alley, I hope it’s habits improve.

Sherry

• Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago

Sherry, both of yours are very pretty!

Heather, love the green throat on Seven Locks!

Nancy, Sailing at Dawn catches my eye!

H.Nancy, Sea of Cinders is a stand out!

Santorini Sunset

Scarlet Pimpernel

Sears Tower

Smoky Mt Autumn

Smiling Ladies

Brad

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

Really nice daylilies Brad. There's not a one I don't like. My favorite is perhaps Smiling Ladies. I haven't heard of it before. Looks like a nice flat full face. Lovely shade of pink. How's it do for you?...........Nan: Small world Fire in the Hole has such radiant colors. I like it and I usually don't care for eyed daylilies. Sea of Cinders always is one of my favorites of yours......Nancy: Love the name of Santa's Pants. How cute. Shaka Zulu has a velvet look to it. Nice one.........Maryl

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Brad, my favorite is Sears Tower, I’m assuming all of the blooms, high and low are ST? That’s a cool presentation! I like Smokey Mountain too, do you have more photos of it, I remember unusual coloring.

Sherry

• Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago

Here's more of Smoky, and yes, those are all Sears Tower. Maryl, Smiling Ladies does well. I think it is a little too much shade but still has a respectable season. Very large and usually flat.

Brad

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Brad, a great couple shots!

Sherry

4 years ago

Brad, I really like Smiling Ladies. Such a lovely pink with that green throat! Santorini Sunset is one Bob would really like. We grow Sears Tower too. Bob really like the tall ones and I must say they make a statement in the garden.

Smoky Mountain Autumn is one that Bob has talked about getting on several occasions. Now that we are growing more diploids, maybe we should get it. Such a lovely bloom.

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

I am so glad we are breaking up the 'S' daylilies! I have SO many and I won't even post them all.

SCARLET PANSY

SCARLET PIMPERNEL

SCREEN PATTERN

SHELBY'S SONG

SKY OVER SCHUYLER

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste/NH
  • celeste/NH
    4 years ago

SKY DRAGON

SKYVIEW RANCH

SCATTERBRAIN

SIR MODRED

SEPTEMBER BLAZE

SHEEPSCOT VALLEY ENCHANTRESS

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

LAST ONES:

SELFIE

SNOWBOARDING

SHUFFLE THE DECK

SIMPLICITY IN MOTION

SMUGGLER'S FIRE

SEVEN SEALS

SHORES OF TIME (can you tell I used this one for pollen?....LOL)

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Celeste, Smugglers Fire looks like a great performer in your garden. Sky Over Schuyler looks so nice in your garden, the color in other places just doesn’t compare to yours. I like the form in Shuffle the Deck.

Sherry

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

Lost this post earlier today. Tried to get “froggy“ and post too many!!

Lots of nice ones here. Sea Dragon, Smuggler’s Fire, Skyview Ranch, Shaka Zulu, Seven Locks all look good (as do all the others!) Always like Snidely and Brad’s Smoky Mt. Autumn shows more colors than any other photo of it I have seen. Mine is pretty but not that distinctive and I rarely photograph it.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lilykate7a
  • harold100
    4 years ago

Hi hoosier_nan. I am just a casual daylily grower but wish to learn more. I have read here that the daylilies grown in Florida won't perform well in Canada. So, I'm wondering if that corollary holds true that the ones bred in Canada, like Snidely Whiplash, won't grow here in the heat of southern Virginia? tia

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked harold100
  • Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

I am the wrong Nancy, and she is far more experienced grower than I am, but I will stick my nose in. Generally, northern growers plant dormants and southern growers plant evergreens. For me in zone 6b, I prefer dormants over evergreens, but not a hard fast rule. I have some Evs that are among the best in my garden, and I know they do well much farther north. This is a great forum to learn from, just ask before buying. And yes, dormants don't tend to do well in far south.

• shive
    4 years ago

Snow here this morning! Lots of pretties on this post.

Sherry - I always love your photos of Sea Dragon!

Nancy - Sailing at Dawn is so pretty! I've had problems with Red Edition and Pink Lemonade Party losing new fans each year. I finally discovered grubs were eating the roots on the new fans. I showerered the two with Grub-Ex this year, and so far they've kept the new fans.

Seven Locks caught my eye on your post. Snake in the Grass Boo is a favorite here too.

Hoosier Nan - Sihir and Snarl are my favorites of yours.

Brad - Smoky Mountain Autumn is such a lovely blend of colors.

Celeste - I like so many of yours, but Shelby's Song and Skyview Ranch are tops.

Kate - Shaman is a nice one. I used to grow it, but it died in the shade. It always rebloomed well here until the neighbors planted trees next to the fence.

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • shive
    4 years ago

Woops! I thought this was the rest of the S daylilies. I'm editing now.

Shadow Dream Song

Season Finale

Skater

Slipped My Disco

More to come ...

Debra

• shive
    4 years ago

Se*y Samantha (Add the x in the name) I absolutely love this one! Super pod parent!

Sailing Into the Blue - Beautiful small flower

Sam Abell - Gorgeous and an excellent breeder

Skin of My Teeth - Splotchy a lot of the time

Shores of Time

Sanford Intermezzo

Simply Charming

More to come ...

Debra

4 years ago

Harold100, we grow many Canadian plants and so far they have all done well. (And it gets quite hot here in the summer too.) We have plants from Bryan Culver, Mike Georges (Snidely Whiplash), Don Longton, Tim Hobbs, Reggie Morgan, Dave Mussar, and Daniel Matton. So far, we have no complaints about any of them, but some haven't been in the garden for a very long time.

I would think the issue with Canadian plants farther south, as Nancy pointed out, is the dormancy issue. Many dormant plants (which many of the Canadian plants will be) don't do well if the winter weather is too warm for them to go dormant. We don't have that problem in Indiana. If you can successfully grow dormants in your garden, you shouldn't have a problem with the Canadian varieties.

The biggest problem with Canadian varieties is the difficulty in obtaining them. Some of these hybridizers don't ship to the U.S. and even when they do, it can be quite costly. Many of Bryan Culver's can be found in the U. S. but the others are harder to obtain. Bob and I have gone to the Can-Am Classic hosted by the Ontario Daylily Society for the last few years. We have gotten many of our Canadian daylilies there. They bring in an inspector to provide the necessary documentation (at no cost to us) to take the daylilies across the border. Usually that documentation is rather pricey on top the cost of new introductions.

Nancy

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Debra, more gorgeous blooms. I’m absolutely having a difficult time picking a favorite today. All that pink and purple and great edges, right up my alley.....every one

Sherry

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

Oops!! Forgot Snow Prince.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lilykate7a
  • Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago

Celeste, my favorites are Sky over Schuler and Seven Seals

Kate, I like Sea of Cortez.

Debra, Skater really caught my eye!

Brad

• Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

Debra, I think my fav is Skater, but several real beauties. Kate, I like your Shaman. Celeste, so many, but I think my very favorite is Seven Seals

• shive
    4 years ago

Harold - You should be able to successfully grow daylilies bred from Canada to Florida. I can grow most all foliage types. The ones I tend to lose in winter are evergreen planted in pots. But if evergreens are in the ground they do fine.

Debra

• Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago

Harold, I'm in Central Ky, which is border between N & S climates, and we get some of each. I've had a few daylilies that didn't grow here but overall I have evergreen, semi-evergreen and dormants and they all do well. I am reluctant and very careful about southern grown ones because I hear about the rust problems they have.

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

Sherry ooooooo I love Sea Dragon , Re Sailor Sky .......I always find pink red eyed dayliies a little jarring . not my favourite color combo but I do like the orange throat ......a nice change from the standard green throat, Your particular picture though,

Nancy 6b Love Santa's Pants Unusual UF is my style . Savannah Debutante ,is very pretty and that's saying something coming from me because I have never been a doubles lover but they are growing on me.

Hoosier_Nan .......wow ! Sea of Cinders ....oh my ! Sihir is gorgeous . Daniel does have some great looking daylilies .

Brad Santorini Sunset yowza Love the look of that one and hadn't heard of it . Wonder if it is available anywhere here in Canada . Smokey Mountain Autumn is one I grow here too. Great bloom just way to short to suit me . It stays only because of the color and the bloom shape . Sears Towers is also one I grow here I have several clumps of it . It really is glorious when in bloom tall, robust stems and a nice big bloom. Interesting aside . I gave away a clump of this to a friend I trade daylilies with . He has never had any luck with it . Go figure it does extremely well here and he is only 20 minutes away from me and can't get it to do much . The clump I gave him in fact has dwindled and we can't figure out why . It is very robust here . I very much like Smiling Ladies........... another I will have to search for but I havent seen it before so probably won't be able to find it .

• Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago

Heather, I too wish Smoky was taller, but it is so beautiful! Sears Tower is quite robust here too. Doesn't make sense about your friend. I hope you can find Santorini and Smiling Ladies. They are indeed very nice.

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

Hoosier_Nan, I cannot positively say what the cost of a phyto certificate is in other provinces but a phyto to ship to USA here in Ontario is only $13.00 Canadian ( at today's exchange rate $9.77 US ) .

I know this because I shipped daylilies to Samhain Rau last year . So not expensive at all ......... added advantage to ordering here is the US dollar is worth more than the Canadian dollar . So for example today based on exchange rate a daylily costing 30 dollars Canadian would cost an American buyer $22.50 US

4 years ago

Signet, that is interesting. I didn't know a phyto was so inexpensive. We have only had plants shipped from Canada twice--one order from Gil Stelter and one from Daniel Matton. The order from Gil was years ago and Bob handled it so I don't know what Gil charged. I was thinking we paid about $50 US for Daniel's phyto. Of course, he is in Quebec and his costs may be different. I assume handling fees might apply as well.

I don't know anything about getting a phyto. How do you do it? Do inspectors come to you or do you take them to a government office? I know it will be different in each jurisdiction, but I am just curious. We aren't planning to ship anywhere but the U. S. That is complicated enough. I am almost afraid to ship to the west coast. We are in a Japanese beetle infested area and since they haven't spread across the whole country, California and places out west want to keep them our. I can certainly understand that.

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

If I have to do to obtain a phyto I make arrangements with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. They will sometimes come out to inspect the plants but this time I had to prepare the daylilies ( clean off all soil . Roots need to be washed clean , trim the daylily leaves to a reasonable length) , I took them into the Canadian Food Inspection Agency office . The inspector then did a count of the daylilies , inspected them to make sure all the soil was removed inspected the leaves and roots for any pests or soil . I had soaked the plants in water for a couple of days and then hit the roots and leaves with the hose to ensure no soil left on the plants . They passed inspection so he issued the paperwork ( the phyto) . That was all there was to it . I paid my $13 dollars . It was I believe $7.50 for the inspection and $5.50 for the paperwork signed by the inspector . Then he informed me I needed to put the original phyto on the outside of the package and a copy inside. That way the border inspection can happen and the inspector can pass on a copy to what ever people require a copy in the state it is being shipped to . Then of course there is the cost of shipping . In the US each state can have different requirements and costs but the requirements are all pretty straight forward . Phytos cost more in the US and each state has different requirements and costs . For example N.Y . State has a $25 phyto charge . I know this because I am in the process of bringing some daylilies in from a grower in NY state. Other states have higher costs. Michigan I believe was $60 US for a phyto to Canada This link might be of help https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/planthealth/SA_Export

Sending out daylilies in the US does require some kind of paperwork to ship state to state and requirements like what California has are there so the spread of disease and insects doesn't happen. .Many people do not know this . So I am not sure what requirement Indiana has for exporting daylilies to other states. You would have to get in touch with your local agent to find out requirements , costs etc. Not sure but this link might help https://nationalplantboard.org/wp-content/uploads/docs/summaries/indiana.pdf

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

Hoosier_Nan, just a curiosity question . Is your garden called Cherry Hill Garden by any chance?

• Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago

I found Cherry Hill Garden. It's got to be theirs! Nice! https://cherryhillgarden.plantfans.com/Page/CHERRY_HILL_GARDEN

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

Hoosier_Nan I found this in an article from 2018 ......I guess the fees are pretty much the same at least in Nova Scotia as well as Ontario Here is what I read

"special geographical position of Nova Scotia and the resulting weather with its challenges for daylily growers. After dinner with great German food we enjoyed the silent auction and the daylily auction. We all went home that night with plants, and for people living in the US it meant that the plants needed to be inspected before they could be brought into the country. Thanks to the foresight of Michelle … we all had a copy of the famous phytosanitary certificate. Michelle also arranged for inspection on Sunday morning where two officers inspected the plants and gave us the necessary certification after we paid the flat fee of $12.50 in Canadian currency"