SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
permanposies9afl

Luscious Mrs BR Cant

She’s so petal-packed, this year in year three. And super-healthy!!

She’s got a lovely, fruity scent too.

Comments (55)

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    4 years ago

Prema, you are so funny ....lol

Yeah, i love mine too and dont they love this weather :))

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • Rockridge Rose
    4 years ago

Beautiful color

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Rockridge Rose
  • Related Discussions

Mrs. BR Cant, Etc

Q

Comments (10)
    Here is a full bush picture: Jeri is right, it is a large rose and does not like to be pruned. I had to prune mine a few weeks ago. What I did is take out the lower branches (which were too low, too heavy and became weighed down with blooms and rain and threatened to break off). I took these canes off at the base or back to the original cane. She is putting on new growth now and looks like she will be higher and fuller instead of low and flat. That is if the county doesn't dig up my front yard :(
    ...See More

Is this Mrs BR Cant?

Q

Comments (7)
    My Mrs. BR Cant was huge. This winter, everything above ground died off. But the roots survived and now she is about 3x3 feet of new growth. What I did when it was time to prune, was take out entire canes rather than shorten canes. It can get too many canes and then gets weighed down with too many blooms and you can get broken canes. I would do that every couple of years. I have to move mine too, so it's good that is fairly small. I did take some cuttings, just in case.
    ...See More

Mrs. B.R. Cant VS. Knock Out 2013

Q

Comments (21)
    The 'Duchesse de Brabant" was a first runner up. About comparing personal observations with the results of the report, there is no possible comparison of the results of the referenced trial with results observed in a "good home." At least, that is certainly my impression of the trial. The roses were severely stress tested; the roses were not coddled in ANY way. As I read it: "Plants were provided with minimal amounts of water and fertilizer, no control for diseases and insects, and no grooming or deadheading." I think of it like being planted in a graveyard and subsequently being forgotten and untended for years. Surviving such conditions in Florida is quite a feat.
    ...See More

I think 'Mrs. B.R. Cant wishes to climb...

Q

Comments (1)
    I have found with Mrs BR Cant that she will throw out those canes. But they soon become weighed down with blooms and laterals and don't really climb as much as stretch out. I suppose if you put a support near her and supported those canes they would stay more upright, but I don't know if they would 'climb'. I have noticed the same with Madame Lambard and Monsieur Tillier. I have them near small cherry trees and they are in the trees. Also, while your Mrs BR Cant is 3 years old. That is still young for a tea. I think that tall cane is what she could grow to in total if left to her own devices. But I have also found that the very long canes can split at the base if they get very heavy.
    ...See More
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Perma, I just did some tests posting pics using a computer (Chrome browser) and an iPhone (Safari browser), and it works for me.

Do you still have problems posting pics? If you do, one of things you can check is the image file size. Reducing each image file size to 1.5 MB or smaller often helps. Helen

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for doing that, Helen! I’ll try again.

Aha! Working now. :-)

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    4 years ago

Perma, you're welcome! Helen

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Jin, I thought you had one too! I hope you’re feeling better and can enjoy the blooms. :-)

• sautesmom Sacramento
    4 years ago

Will she grow in California or is it too dry here?
    Carla in Sac

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked sautesmom Sacramento
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think I just saw photos of Ingrid’s, some-post, recently...I think Sultry is right, she’s a heat-lover. I think she‘d do great! :-)

4 years ago

I know i had tons of roses that need to be deadheaded. I know that old blush has been blooming like crazy. Have not been out into my garden forever but i need to water my poor roses.

Perma and Jasmin have a question for both of you. Yesterday morning, City of Orlando knocked on my door. They check my backyard and gave me a clean bill of keeping it clean and no containers, lids, buckets even trees that has hallow collected water for grounds of breeding mosquitoes. They check every house. Did you guys got a visit too ??

Well, they told me that they will come at night to spray but they actually did it 3 times all night and now another round again. Heard that mosquitoes are up in huge increase but i curious if it is only here in Orlando or whole of Florida ? Sorry for Out of topic question but i am curious.

Sauutesmom, you should be able to grow there :))

• sautesmom Sacramento
    4 years ago

Ooooo, I just found her in the Sacramento Historical Cemetery Catalogue (just 9 blocks from me :) ! )
    So excited, hopefully it will be part of their spring sale
    Carla in Sac

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago

Jin, I havent heard of anyone coming around here to check anything yet. We had a few little freezes but probably not enough to kill off mosquitoes this year. They might get bad again. I haven't seen anyone spraying for mosquitoes here. I think its weird they came to your house.

I am in a rural residential area where there are mini farms and stuff. Maybe they do it in other parts of the city lol.

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    4 years ago

IIRC, Ingrid's MBRC tended to develop a brick red tint in the most intense heat, which she disliked. But her property has a lot of radiant heat from hardscaping as well as the regular heat and drought; I imagine Sacramento wouldn't be quite that hot?

Also colour can be a matter of taste. Some people may have loved that 'sun-tanned' effect.

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
  • sautesmom Sacramento
    4 years ago

Oh, I'm pretty sure Sacramento gets much hotter, lol, we're kind of notorious for "but it's so hot there in the summer". I think Ingrid is outside of Temecula (???) in SoCal, which can be 90s lows 100s. Sacramento's record is 114, and a couple of years ago we had I think 11-12 days straight of 101-109 in July. Our last recorded "over 100" is in October.
    My family was from the Palm Springs area (desert) and I often said the highs are often not that far off, the difference between here and there is we cool off at night from onshore breezes, ie 65 to 70, but Palm Springs does not, being in a valley. The last time I drove there in a July, I arrived at midnight, and it was still 95 degrees.
    :0)
    Carla in Sac

4 years ago

Jasmin, thanks for information. I wasnt sure but i have not seen any mosquitoes here either. I wont even know if anyone here got sick or any information.

So it must be in specific areas then .

Thanks !

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

Ingrid has less rain, though, Carla. That is a huge difference.

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

No mosquito spraying here. Probably as Sultry said, we get short freezes here.

I should also mention (for Carla & others in hot climates) that my Mrs BRC gets an average of 4 hrs direct sun, so I’d say with more intense light & reflected light factors, she’s pretty shade tolerant. Even in the heat of the summer, she stays a pretty raspberry pink. :-)

4 years ago

She is supposed to be a Tea rose zn 7b cold hardiness so she should love heat. My mom is in the Phx AZ area and she can grow it and lots of other Teas. It can get up to 120F there and is generally very dry.

• marilyn_c
    4 years ago

She does love heat. She does beautifully iin Texas.

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked marilyn_c
  • rayrose SC 8
    4 years ago

I've had mine for over 25 years and this is one bullet proof rose. Hope you people give her plenty of room. I prune mine heavily every year, but she still grows to 8' x 8'.

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked rayrose SC 8
    4 years ago

Rayrose, Wow! I definitely have her too close if she will get 8ft wide lol. I have a Amistad Salvia behind MBRC and it grew monsterous so then MBRC grew up through it. I am going to have to move Amistad this spring.

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    4 years ago

Perma...how big is your MBRC now in year three? Your bloom is beautiful! I have had it in the ground for 2 seasons and I have been disappointed by the blooms so far. There are lots of buds, but the blooms never seem to be very big or last very long. It has reached about 5x4, and I'm really hoping for better blooms this season.

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
  • HU-284226487
    4 years ago

There is a climbing form of 'Mrs B.R. Cant' but it hasn't been in commerce for years.. I thought my rosebush had a climbing cane because it grew to be c. 4 feet tall before it produced a lateral. I greatly desired a pink climbing Tea rose to cover an arbor across my front walkway leading to my front door. I have cl. Florence Bower Pink Tea' in that location instead, another thrice worthy Tea rose.

Lux.

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked HU-284226487
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My Mrs BRC is about 5 x 5 ft. now, and still throwing gangly canes. The first year, her blooms were so-so, but then year two they got a little fuller, and now this year looking more mature. I bet yours just needs one more year!

Lux, I almost feel like she’d climb if given something to...its almost as if her rangy canes are groping around looking for something to grab onto!

I also have a baby Florence Bowers, whose trying to bloom herself to death, lol!! She’s a real beauty too! :-)

• ladybug A 9a Houston area
    4 years ago

How are the thorns? And blackspot? I have one spot in the front, but afraid to put a rose there as almost every rose I have is unsightly end of summer. Thanks!!

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked ladybug A 9a Houston area
  • weekend gardener
    4 years ago

I've had my Mrs. B.R. Cant for about 10 years, planted about 6 feet from a live oak. Morning and late evening sun with some dappled sun throughout the day. She's about 6 feet tall and 8 feet wide. I don't spray or fertilize or give supplemental water. Mulch consists of dropped oak leaves. Even with terrible neglect, this rose is extremely healthy, no black spot, and sends up a few basals every year. The roses are always gorgeous and full of petals. My only "complaint" would be the thorns. They're large and hooked and snag anything near it. However, there's plenty of smooth cane space between the thorns to grasp if needed.

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked weekend gardener
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yep, she’s thorny...mine has the hooked thorns too. But she’s crazy healthy, with no spray at all. :-)

• Claire Fanger
    4 years ago

She is uncomplaining in Houston, sun, shade, heat, cold, water, drought, whatever, she is healthy and the blooms are delicately lovely always petal packed and substantial. Thorns, yes. I've not noticed spots nor insect damage.. Mine is in what has become a bad spot for a rose, along a chain link fence where it is increasingly deeply shaded, the neighbors whack off the new growth on the sun side, and I do not now have time to water. Continues to grow and bloom on the shady side. Given sun and occasional water she will grow huge-- healthy no matter what; but your spot needs to be big.

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Claire Fanger
  • erasmus_gw
    4 years ago

Mine is a vigorous grower right by the hot street . It's nicely branched. It's very healthy and reblooms in big flushes. The fragrance is intense. I never thought of it as especially thorny. Mine takes the heat and cold well in zone 7 NC. The color is usually a medium pink here.

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked erasmus_gw
  • Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    4 years ago

Sautesmom-

From my former garden in Las Vegas...

Mrs. B.R. Cant... It had no leaf burn and little to no pest issues...

If you do not grow Maman Cochet... it was one of my favorites too!

Eramus-

What a beautiful bloom!!

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
  • Krista_5NY
    4 years ago

The petal packed blooms are beautiful, a delightful rose. I like the blend of pink shades.

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Krista_5NY
  • Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    4 years ago

As a Tea rose Mrs.B. R. Cant' is an outlier: not a typical kind. I note that two of my plants are growing own root in ungrateful clay and doing pretty well. The parent plant, in better conditions, is making a very tolerable climber. Agree that this is a very tough and a beautiful rose.

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    4 years ago

How so an outlier Melissa? Here, I didn't notice that and don't understand what you mean.

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    4 years ago

Well, she does fairly well in heavy clay, better than any other of my Teas, which pine and die in that kind of soil. The fragrance is fruity as well as dry-woody, and the growth is less twiggy and delicate than that of most Teas (a characteristic she shares with 'Etoile de Lyon', though). Also that bloom shape doesn't look really Tea-ish to me. I've long suspected 'Mrs. B.R. Cant' of having some Bourbon blood, though I don't know if that's a feasible notion in terms of genetic compatibility.

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    4 years ago

Thank you for that, Melissa. She is in the sturdier group of Teas here. My soil might be easier for them here in general so she does not really stand out here. I'm only 5 years in to the Teas, so time will tell. Vintage had those groupings of bush shape like you are referring to. My EdL is also large, as are William R. Smith and Madame Cochet. I do have many small twiggy ones too.

• philipatx
    4 years ago

When I lived in New Orleans pre-K and was first learning about roses, this was a favorite of mine. The specimen I recall was over 6 ft tall and wide with regular pruning. (Lakeview area -- that plant drowned in the flooding.) If I had room here in TX, I would certainly look into reacquainting myself with her. She is a wonderful rose.

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked philipatx
  • oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

Well, hmmmm. I just don’t know now. I have this rose coming next month from ARE and had a spot all picked out...thinking it would be a good sized shrub. I could put it closer

to the fence if it is going to want to climb.

I‘m about an hour away from Seattle-fairly mild all the way around but drier than most people think in the summer.

What do y’all think? Will it climb here or be more shrubby?

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Melissa and Sheila, that makes total sense to me; my EdL is similar in form to MBRC and also sturdier here, than say MFK. I’ve been growing them a few years less than you, Sheila, and much less than you, Melissa, so it’s great to learn more about these.

Oursteelers, I think she’ll be big there too, from what is sounds like—maybe a tall, free-standing shrub? As a youngster, she’s throwing some crazy directionally-challenged canes, but I can see by her base she’s starting to bulk them up.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It JUST stopped raining here, so she’s a little droopy, but these were taken just a few minutes ago:

She’s almost three years old, and about 5 feet by 5 feet.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Her neighbor, William R Smith, is such a changeable Rose! I like his ombré look right now:

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oursteelers, I kind of wish I had put her closer to my fence, just because I’m expecting her to, and will allow her to, get tall. :-)

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

I have a six foot cedar fence, do you think she’ll go up and over or be just about 6’?

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • Claire Fanger
    4 years ago

she'll go up and over

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Claire Fanger
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think she’ll still be tall in your climate. Hopefully someone closer to you (maybe Claire is?) will chime in. I think, since she’s a Tea, it may depend on how much cold you get there. Some frost might keep her lower.

You CAN prune her, but I’ve read that she’s in that camp of a little sulky if you prune her too hard. I haven’t pruned her yet. :-)

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And I’m afraid that she’s been a bit neglected (as you can see from the thrips & weeds) since I’ve been so busy at school, and not done anything for her at all. No feeding, no supplemental water. She’s remarkably cooperative that way. I’m not sure how many of my Austin-types would be so generous in flowers under the same circumstances. :-)

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oops—sorry Claire! I just reread that you’re in Houston.

I think it’s a great endorsement that she does well in so many locales. :-)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!