President Donald John Trump Is Found Not Guilty

catkinZ8a

Donald Trump has been acquitted in his Senate trial on both of the articles of impeachment he faced, ending the threat that he would be removed from office and concluding the impeachment process.

Voting largely along party lines, the senators found Trump not guilty of the first article of impeachment, abuse of power, by a 52-48 tally, and not guilty of the second article of impeachment, obstruction of Congress, by a 53-47 tally.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/feb/05/donald-trump-acquitted-senate-impeachment-trial

SaveComment87Like3
Comments (87)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nana H

Who would have ever guessed ?

2 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Hallelujah.

Until the next time.

2 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

And now McConnell and Graham will head to the WH to present Trump with a crown and scepter.

8 Likes Save    
elvis

Schumer sounds like he's accepting an Oscar.

2 Likes Save    
Toby

A trial without witnesses. Sure sounds like he's been exonerated. /s

He'll be calling Putin tomorrow to ask for his help in digging up dirt on the Dem candidates.

8 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

elvis, Schumer, Schiff and other Democrats truly deserve Oscars.

Amazing method acting.

2 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuusssssssssssssiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

1 Like Save    
Toby

Yep. Russia, if you're listening.....

3 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

A celebratory Golden Gavel for Roberts—-much better than a pen!

1 Like Save    
catkinZ8a

Who took The House after Republicans impeached Slick Willie?

Save    
ubro(2a)

He is still Impeached.

6 Likes Save    
Chi

All of our impeached presidents have been acquitted. Trump isn't special in this regard.

9 Likes Save    
justerrilynn(10)

And still Acquitted!

Edited: it wasn’t a real impeachment. However, Trump is getting a good bump up from it so all is well.

3 Likes Save    
Chi

It was a real impeachment, no matter how much his supporters claim otherwise. He was impeached, and long after we are all gone he will continue to be one of our few impeached Presidents as noted in history books and history class.

8 Likes Save    
justerrilynn(10)

I would be much more concerned with how badly the Dem’s will look all through history on this.

3 Likes Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

I thought the J stands for *Jenius*

2 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

I would be much more concerned with how badly the Dem’s will look all through history on this.

Funny thing though, our news is reporting his SOTU address as full of silly theatrics, and the Senate decision to not allow witnesses as a sham. The take on this acquittal is, he was acquitted in a trial with no witnesses. I would counter that the GOP is looking mighty foolish internationally.

Trumps SOTU has been upstaged by Pelosi, and this acquittal has been upstaged on the news with Mitt's speech, it is playing over and over again, and it makes the rest of the GOP who voted for not guilty look silly.

4 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Dems will be on the right side of history, not Republicans who have abandoned their oaths from day one in order to protect a corrupt authoritarian.

4 Likes Save    
Nana H

Totally OT but nudged by Miss Lindsey' s comment. I am OK.with Donald J. Trump ....but I find.Donald John Trump off putting . It just doesn't sound right to me

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

but I find.Donald John Trump off putting . It just doesn't sound right to me

Yeah, Barrack Hussein Obama didn't sit well with me either.

4 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"It was a real impeachment, no matter how much his supporters claim otherwise."

Enjoy your victory!

It was a hatefully vindictive political move, for which the Democrats will forever be remembered. Way to go!

Nancy Pelosi made Dems and their mindset all more clear last night by ripping up the SOTU speech. What a class act!!!

Thank you Dems, and especially Nancy, for illustrating your resentment of Americans who insist on thinking for themselves. You have become their worst enemy, and don't think for a minute they don't know it.

7 Likes Save    
kadefol

I thought the J stands for *Jenius*

Even better than Randy Rainbow's "Donald Jessica Trump". :)

3 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

New R resolution to CONDEMN NANCY PELOSI for tearing up the SOTU document.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Is anyone really surprised that the gop voted to allow trump to continue to rig the 2020 election in the gop's favor?

6 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

Corrupt Dem Leftists have wasted millions of taxpayer dollars on their hoaxes and shams.

3 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

"Corrupt Dem Leftists have wasted millions of taxpayer dollars on their hoaxes and shams."

Laugh out loud hilarity.

2 Likes Save    
bleusblue2

adoptedbyhounds

"It was a real impeachment, no matter how much his supporters claim otherwise."

Enjoy your victory!

It was a hatefully vindictive political move, for which the Democrats will forever be remembered. Way to go!

~~~

History will see it differently -- we may not live long enough to see it but future historians will be dumbfounded by how it was impossible to remove a corrupt president. And that is if the United States is still recognizable as a Democracy when they start writing about it.

7 Likes Save    
margaritadina

/\/\ Dems are working hard on rewriting the history of the US. Whites are bad, only whites had slaves = just to warm up. But future Dem historians will have to wait until witnesses of this political coup - half (at least) of the American population - will die out.

Or, and they will have to think hard on how to explain the fact that the president was impeached for busting an international mafia - Biden, Pelosi and Kelly using their gov positions for the personal $$ gain.

4 Likes Save    
Toby

Learned it from the Texas GOP.

1 Like Save    
kadefol

History will see it differently -- we may not live long enough to see it
but future historians will be dumbfounded by how it was impossible to
remove a corrupt president. And that is if the United States is still
recognizable as a Democracy when they start writing about it.

Yes. I really hope people who want him gone will turn out in droves to vote in November. This is not the time to be apathetic.

Save    
Joaniepoanie

Trumpers seem to forget that Trump admitted to the crime and numerous Repubs came out and said he did it. So yeah, we’re not happy Repubs trashed their oaths and the Constitution.

3 Likes Save    
paprikash

The slimy dems were dead wrong for their pathetic political partisan impeachment. Win an election losers

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

Yes. I really hope people who want him gone will turn out in droves to vote in November.

You mean like the "droves" who showed up at the Iowa Caucus?

4 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Keep in mind that this was *not* a trial by any stretch of the imagination...no evidence allowed...no witnesses allowed...subpoena's ignored...over half the jury before the trial said they were completely in sync with the wh...the perp openly witness tampering with schmoozing meetings with gop senators, and trump even admitting that they can't find him guilty as he has the evidence and they don't. That was not a trial...it was a kangaroo court. The gop should be so proud.

2 Likes Save    
Chi

Enjoy your victory!

We are! Thanks. 2018 gave the Democrats back the House, and allowed Trump to finally be held accountable for his actions. It's a great achievement for the United States.

Save    
Nana H

"Yeah, Barrack Hussein Obama didn't sit well with me either."

I'm quite sure it didn' t.

Save    
elvis

Annie Deighnaugh

Keep in mind that this was *not* a trial by any stretch of the imagination

You'd better clue Chief Justice Roberts in.

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

roberts was just a figurehead with essentially no power over the trial where the rules rested entirely in the hands of the senators, who made maximum use of it by allowing no documents or evidence to be called. I'm sure roberts ran his court differently when he was a circuit court judge.

Save    
Del Phinium

"Elections have consequences."

- You Know Who

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

BTW, the president was not found not guilty...they voted not to remove him from office. In fact some gopers said he was clearly guilty of what was charged and the house proved their case -- without witnesses and documents -- but that it did not rise to the level of impeachable.

1 Like Save    
Del Phinium

"BTW, the president was not found not guilty..."

LOL. Tell yourself whatever you have to, to get yourself through this, but the rest of the country is probably gonna go by Chief Justice Roberts's ruling, just so you're aware. He was found "Not Guilty" today. Twice, actually. If you can believe it, there's even video footage of Roberts reading the verdict out loud.

4 Likes Save    
elvis

Annie Deighnaugh

Keep in mind that this was *not* a trial by any stretch of the imagination

Annie Deighnaugh

roberts was just a figurehead with essentially no power over the trial

"Trial"? What trial?

2 Likes Save    
margaritadina

''

Joaniepoanie

Trumpers seem to forget that Trump admitted to the crime and numerous Repubs came out and said he did it. So yeah, we’re not happy Repubs trashed their oaths and the Constitution. ''

Biden blackmailed Ukraine and bragged about it on TV. All for one purpose - to get his drug addict offspring into the international kickback schema. And Obama knew about it. And about Pelosi and Kelly.

Slime was dripping off the WH WAY before Trump even came into the pic. And mafia got upset when Trump got them all by their dirty tails. And they fabricated the ''impeachment'' to cover their crimes.

THIS is what America will remember.

Save    
Kathy

That conspiracy version of events is far fetched. It was a corrupt Ukraine at the time.

1 Like Save    
maddie260

I'm not sure what to post this to; not following all of them. My take on all of this: dt has done something wrong, but let's let the voters decide? Ok. let's shut down the Congress between now and November.

Save    
lurker111

Trump did nothing wrong. This is all a cover for the crats corruption.

Save    
foodonastump

Trump did nothing wrong.

If there’s one thing that’s had a bipartisan result in this process, it’s agreement that he did do something wrong. No It was not unanimous, but more Republican senators than Romney know this, have said as much, and have hinted that others agree. They just don’t feel it rose to the level warranting removal from office.

I don’t think we’ve talked much about Rubio’s wish-washy response. It got trashed by the media, but what he’s saying is pretty clear. He doesn’t deny wrongdoing, doesn’t specifically say Trump did it but considers his opinion under the assumption of guilt. Why go through all that wriggling if he thinks not guilty?

This is why arguments against impeachment were so focused on process and so light on evidence. And why Republicans fought so hard to prevent more direct evidence. Because they KNOW what he did is wrong, even if you pretend otherwise.

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

Your opinion. Too bad the only evidence was manufactured and only exists in the mind of a schiff.

Save    
lurker111

I'm not happy with the republicans. They played the game instead of going after the criminals. Not acceptable.

Save    
foodonastump

My opinion based on months of evidence. Your opinion is based on months of stifled witnesses.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Biden blackmailed Ukraine and bragged about it on TV. All for one purpose - to get his drug addict offspring into the international kickback schema.

There is nothing in this sentence that even remotely aligns to the facts including the timeline.

But even if you believe that that's what biden did then which is it...is it ok for biden and trump to blackmail ukraine for personal gain or not? You can't have it both ways ... either it's ok for trump *and* biden, or it's not.

Same with hillary...either it's ok for her and trump to dig up dirt from foreign sources on their political opponent or it's not.

Mind you, I know the differences between what trump did vs what hillary and biden did, but even if there were no differences, then the argument is the epitome of hypocrisy.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Biden and Hillary did it.

Trump didn't. It's just your imagination. Biden isn't Trump's political opponent. Hillary paid for manufactured dirt. Trump didn't.

"He did it, too" isn't factual, and isn't an excuse for their crimes.

Save    
how2girl

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

You must be talking about biden and hillary.

Save    
foodonastump

He did it. Mulvaney admitted it. Witnesses threatened, evidence withheld. Bipartisan agreement. Period.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

He did it.

Did what?
Nonsense. Please give factual examples and quote the penal codes. Thanks.

Save    
foodonastump

Please post requirement to commit statutory crimes. Thanks.

Save    
lurker111

You first. Your side is the one trying to prove a crime. Nothing else matters until actual crimes are established beyond a a reasonable doubt. Give it your best shot. Schiff couldn't do it. He needs your help.

Save    
foodonastump

My side tried and succeeded to prove abuse of power. Bipartisan agreement. No further discussion needed.

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

Re the title of the OP. " not guilty" is not the same as innocent. Republicans are openly admitting that what he did was wrong. It' s only hard core Trump supporters who refuse to look at the facts and call it what it was.

Amy K ( likely soon to be the ex Senator from Maine ) says she thinks Trump learned his lesson. I agree he did and will now be even more emboldened to abuse the power of the office he holds.

1 Like Save    
Del Phinium

It's hilarious that this comment...

"It' s only hard core Trump supporters who refuse to look at the facts and call it what it was."

...followed this comment:

"BTW, the president was not found not guilty..."

In the same thread too.

LOL. You cant make this stuff up.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

I’m having a “thousand likes” moment, Nana, that’s exactly what will happen as a result of this partisan acquittal.

Save    
Nana H

Sorry Del, where are you seeing "BTW, the president was not found not guilty..." ?

Save    
Del Phinium

^ Does that clear things up for you, Nana?

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Thank you Del, the way you expressed it in your post made it sound like both comments were in the same post. The second comment did not " follow" the first , they were many intervening posts, never mind that they were made by different posters.

Save    
Stan Areted

President Trump, who was "Never"going to see the inside of the Oval Office, is guilty of one thing--beating liberals at their own game.

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

My side tried and succeeded to prove abuse of power. Bipartisan agreement. No further discussion needed.

No they didn't. They agreed without proof. They acted on their imagination. What was the vote? Your side lost on both counts.

1 Like Save    
Del Phinium

"Thank you Del, the way you expressed it in your post made it sound like both comments were in the same post. "

I clearly said, "In the same thread too.", but, whatever, lol

"The second comment did not " follow" the first , they were many intervening posts..."

Not sure about your own personal definition of the word "follow", but every dictionary out there says that it means "to come after". I never said they were back to back comments.

"...never mind that they were made by different posters."

I never made that claim either.

I guess some people only see what they want to see. Shrug.

Anything else I can help you with?

4 Likes Save    
Nana H

No. In my view, your post was confusing as constructed. Glad we got it clarified. Thanks

Save    
lurker111

Just ignore the blather. It's all they have. They lost and it's over.

Better get busy with the next false allegation. You'll need proof this time.

5 Likes Save    
Chi

We didn't lose. Trump was impeached for his actions. We knew he would be acquitted, just like all the previous impeached Presidents were acquitted. But he will forever be impeached.

Now the court of public opinion is what matters, and I think a whole lot of people aren't happy with the Senate cover-up.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Chi, in the long run we probably did lose.

Although looking back at others of Dershowitz’s “not guilty” defendants, there’s hope that Trump, too, will get his in some form or another.

Save    
queenmargo

Now the court of public opinion is what matters, and I think a whole lot of people aren't happy with the Senate cover-up.

I think a whole lot of people aren't happy with the House for starting this sham. Look at Trumps approval ratings.

4 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Look at Trumps approval ratings.

Yeah, look at them. “Them” being plural. Even Rasmussen’s subsequent poll was a point lower than Gallup’s. That’s gotta tell you something.

Fact is, his average approval rating has been above 42 and less than 46 for the vast majority of his term. And still is.

1 Like Save    
Chi

FOAS, maybe, but I think it was necessary. It would be worse if nothing had happened to him, even after the WB came forward. I think a lot of people would have lost faith in our checks and balances system.

Look at Trumps approval ratings.

Funny that he still can't break 50% approval. Guess people aren't that unhappy with the House. His approval rate has been very consistent.

Save    
Kathy

Trump had Cohen manipulating polls. I wonder who took over that job. Now there is talk Trumpers swamped the phones in Iowa to jam the lines.

Save    
queenmargo

LOL

4 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Now there is talk Trumpers swamped the phones in Iowa to jam the lines.

Sure there is

Gotta blame dems' incompetence on someone.

Go ahead we have big shoulders to carry the load for losers.

8 Likes Save    
queenmargo

. Now there is talk Trumpers swamped the phones in Iowa to jam the lines.

LOL- I am surprised it was not the Russians;)

5 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

Now here is a twitter comment that was put on Trumps feed

Since it’s now perfectly legal for foreigners to mingle in US politics, I - being a Dane - will start donating to Sanders campaign each and every months, and I’ll tell everyone I know to do the same.

1 Like Save    
elvis

Those rascally Danes, always throwing a monkey wrench into the process.

2 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"History will see it differently -- we may not live long enough to see it but future historians will be dumbfounded by how it was impossible to remove a corrupt president."

I disagree. If what Dems believe is demonstrably true, Nancy Pelosi's hand picked prosecutor, Adam Schiff, and his brilliant side kick Nadler should have been able to make a strong case for Trump's removal. Although Adam Schiff repeated his laughable "we have evidence" nonsense, when it was time to produce, as in the past, he had nothing.

From predicting Donald Trump could never be elected, to predicting he would quickly be removed from office, Dems continued repeating what they sincerely believed. But repetition cannot and did not make them correct. The notion that future historians will be "dumbfounded" that partisans can't just "remove" a president they smear as "corrupt" illustrates a deep misunderstanding the role of congress.

It's supposed to be difficult to remove a president from office. It's not something politicians who respect their constituents brag they're going to do before the president they want removed is even seated. Dems encouraged their supporters to cling to the notion congress can just remove a president they don't like. That's an abuse of power against the people they swore to serve! No wonder Nancy had a hissy fit.

5 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Elvis:

Those rascally Danes, always throwing a monkey wrench into the process.

They must be incredibly bored--getting in on the action!

2 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

It's unbelievable that Trump haters expected a President who did not commit any crime, to be the first removed from office.

3 Likes Save    
AnnKH

Although Adam Schiff repeated his laughable "we have evidence" nonsense,
when it was time to produce, as in the past, he had nothing.

Try to keep up, ABH - the narrative now is that yes, he certainly did do all the things that the House accused him of - the Senate toadies just decided that those offenses were not impeachable (at least what Trump did them).

Save    
foodonastump

It’s unbelievable that Trump haters expected a President who did not commit any crime, to be the first removed from office.

Who? Who expected him to be removed from office? I musta missed that thread.

2 Likes Save    
Karen S. (7b, NYC)(NYC, zone 6)

Worth remembering that being acquitted & being found not guilty are 2 very different things.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Remodeling Guides Open vs. Closed Kitchens — Which Style Works Best for You?
Get the kitchen layout that's right for you with this advice from 3 experts
Full Story
Healthy Home How to Clean Your Fridge, Inside and Out
Keep your refrigerator clean and fresh, while you gain storage space and lose those ‘UFOs’
Full Story
The Polite House The Polite House: On ‘No Shoes’ Rules and Breaking Up With Contractors
Emily Post’s great-great-granddaughter gives us advice on no-shoes policies and how to graciously decline a contractor’s bid
Full Story