As McConnell just said

Ann

"Normally, when a party loses an election, it accepts defeat. It reflects and retools. But not this time."

He went on to give a long series of specifics.

To me, these three quoted sentences sum up the last three years perfectly!

SaveComment110Like6
Comments (110)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Toby

Is he forgetting about the 2013 GOP autopsy, which they never followed? Is he forgetting that he vowed to never work with Obama? Has he forgotten how he stole the Supreme Court nomination from the Dems and then said he'd bring a Trump nominee up for a vote if a seat became available this year? Is he not aware of the 400 bills sitting on his desk, many of them bipartisan? He's the biggest hypocrite and represents the absolute worst of partisan politics.

18 Likes Save    
Wants to Grow

Hi Ann, Don't ever expect the Democrats to gracefully accept defeat. Their behavior from last three years was not only meant to invalidate the results of the 2016 election, but to also show the country what to expect in the future, should another Republican try to run for the office of President.

9 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

Who won The House of Representatives after Republicans impeached Slick Willie?

1 Like Save    
catkinZ8a

Leftist 2020 presidential candidates get to vote to impeach their Republican rival.

8 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

OMG...it’s not about losing an election. Absolute nonsense R’s keep repeating to deflect from Trump crimes and Trumpers keep swallowing it. If that were the case Dems would have tried to impeach Reagan, and both Bushes. This is about Trump being corrupt. Does the right really believe Dems would have tried impeaching Rubio, Jeb, or any of the other R’s who ran in 2016?

16 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

catkinZ8a

Leftist 2020 presidential candidates get to vote to impeach their Republican rival.

And we're supposed to just think that's not totally insane.

7 Likes Save    
Nana H

Trump supporters can continue to say it was about losing an election when the fact is it was about seriously inappropriate behavior on the part of Trump. A great divide that will never be resolved much to the detriment of a great country.

The truth will out some day...it always does.

11 Likes Save    
Toby

Wants to Grow

Hi Ann, Don't ever expect the Democrats to gracefully accept defeat. Their
behavior from last three years was not only meant to invalidate the
results of the 2016 election, but to also show the country what to
expect in the future, should another Republican try to run for the
office of President.

Don't tell me there's another Mafia thug in the GOP who might someday run for election?? Noooo, not Don Jr.!

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

Nana H Trump
supporters can continue to say it was about losing an election when the
fact is it was about seriously inappropriate behavior on the part of
Trump

No, the Left doesn't get to claim this. Just no.

Democrats set out to impeach Trump since before he was sworn into office. There is a plethora of evidence which supports this. "We have to remove Trump so he doesn't get re-elected". So, yes, it WAS about losing the election, and overturning it. Short of doing that, Democrats intended to remove Trump from the 2020 ballot.

9 Likes Save    
Ann

Well, that sham has concluded. The President has been acquitted. What do you have lined up for your next attempt, Dems? I might suggest the November election as a good choice:)

8 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Let’s not forget that McConnell vowed to make Obama a one term prez from the get go and obstructed him for eight years. They would have impeached him if they could have, just like they talked of impeaching Hillary if she won. Republicans are not saints here, not by a long shot. And history will not be kind to this current crop.

14 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Censuring Nancy Pelosi?

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Spew spew spew, doesn’t make it true.

2 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

I'm rubber, you're glue

1 Like Save    
elvis

Rubber, glue!

1 Like Save    
elvis

Great minds.

3 Likes Save    
foodonastump

To trivialize it as “can’t accept the result of the election” shows a profound lack of self awareness.

16 Likes Save    
Ann

What this country has gone through with the Kavanaugh approval, the Mueller investigation, and the impeachment - is far from trivial, FOAS!

9 Likes Save    
Kathy

Perhaps The GOP needs to reflect on their own actions. Voting not to hear evidence because it might be incriminating is nothing to brag about.

9 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

And Trump's ability to act corruptly with impunity, sanctioned by the senate, will ensure that the Trump show is not over.

7 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

"Thanks for playing." - Mitch McConnell

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

What America and the world has gone through as a result of Trump is most definitely not trivial. The road back will be long and hard.

6 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

'Does the right really believe Dems would have tried impeaching Rubio, Jeb, or any of the other R’s who ran in 2016?"

Nope, not in my opinion. I'm absolutely certain the dirty tricks that failed to keep Donald Trump out of the White House would never have been used against Jeb Bush. Had Bush been treated as Trump has been, there would have been hell to pay.

The only good news is that there is a criminal investigation underway. Some of the folks behind the hateful effort to choose our president for us may yet pay a price. They owe all of us for what they've put this country through,.

6 Likes Save    
Chi

It's amazing to me how people still believe this lie. No, we wanted him impeached because he abused his power for personal gain and obstructed justice. He was able to do these things because he was elected, but being elected is not why he was impeached. There's a difference.

How the GOP and Trump supporters can ignore everything he's done and pretend it's just sour grapes for Hillary losing is just incredible to me. Luckily I don't think they are fooling anyone but themselves.

16 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Some of the folks behind the hateful effort to choose our president for us may yet pay a price.

Oh boy, here come the rocket launchers.

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

abh, you are right. Jeb Bush was an insider. Trump, an outsider, and remains beyond the reach of the swampy establishment.

5 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

LOLOLOL! Juan Williams is *despondent*.

2 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

ACQUITTED FOREVER

2 Likes Save    
Chi

Just like every other impeached President the US has had.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

He can join Clinton and NIxon now on the wall of shame.

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Re the OP...mcconnell may not have had the benefit of our discussions here, but those who frequent these threads have heard from us many times that this has *nothing* to do with losing an election and *everything* to do with trump's behavior in office and the desire to hold him responsible for his corruption and his abuse of power. No matter how many times mcconnell and others may repeat lies, it doesn't make them true.

After all this time of trying to tell people the truth of our perspective, I find the continued imputation that we are lying to them about our perspective insulting. We are not. Stop saying we are.

Just as I believe that you believe that trump's behavior is nothing worse than "rough around the edges", you should do us the respect of believing why we thought impeaching him was important and why we find him guilty and worthy of removal from office.

9 Likes Save    
cyn427 NoVaZone7

Well, let's just wait and see how reasoned and calm his (Trump's) reaction to Romney is before you claim we are acting because we are sore losers from the 2016 election.

7 Likes Save    
Wants to Grow

Hi Annie, The Democratic saboteurs were unable to prove corruption and abuse of power. When a perspective is one-sided, it is not a fair perspective, but an insult to the Republic of the United States.

4 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

WTG, I disagree. They did prove corruption ...just ask gop members Lamar Alexander and Mitt Romney ... and there's proof of corruption in so many instances that the dems didn't charge, but should have. The full-circle corruption is the gop's willingness to turn a blind eye to all the ways that trump is violating his oath of office in favor of their own reëlection.

It's only America that's worse off for it.

6 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

And Collins changed her assessment of Trump and his motivations. Changed 'I know he learned...' to 'I hope he learned...'

1 Like Save    
catspa_zone9sunset14

Some of the folks behind the hateful effort to choose our president for us may yet pay a price. They owe all of us for what they've put this country through,.

I would like to see the Russians pay, too, abh, but Trump seems reluctant to impose sanctions on them. Wonder why....

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

abh: Some of the folks behind the hateful effort to choose our president for us may yet pay a price.

No. No one is choosing their president. If trump were convicted, pence would become president and I don't think he was anyone's choice to be president....except maybe pence and his wife.

4 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Jeff Tiedrich:

“Sit down Donald. You’re not even the best impeached president.”

6 Likes Save    
Kathy

Trump asked Russia for help to win 2016 and he asked China to help for 2020. It’s obvious he can’t win on his own.

4 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

The road back will be long and hard.

You are mistaken--there will be no going back to the incompetence and mediocrity of the Obama administration and before. If the citizens of this country are pleased with this administration's accomplishments have anything to say about it--and you betcha we do--there will be a continuation of present policies.

To assume that we would want "the road back" to failure and doom is preposterous.

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

We haven’t reaped what the Republicans have sown yet. That will come in the future and it won’t be pleasant.

4 Likes Save    
maddie260

I'm not sure what post this to; not following all of them. My take on all of this: dt has done something wrong, but let's let the voters decide? Ok. let's shut down the Congress between now and November.

2 Likes Save    
bfox254

What Trump did was plain wrong and every senator and most on this thread know it even though they continue to defend his actions. Some republican senators even said it out loud. They voted to acquit because they didn't think his transgression rose to the level of removing him from office (aka- they didn't want to buck their party and risk Trump's wrath). If he didn't try to shake down Ukraine, he wouldn't be impeached. Even if you accept the accusation that democrats were out to impeach him from day one (I don't), he gave them a clear opportunity to do so. He chose to take actions that even those within his own administration warned him were wrong and possibly illegal. Why is it everyone else's fault except his own? Personal responsibility and all that.

7 Likes Save    
Del Phinium

"Even if you accept the accusation that democrats were out to impeach him from day one (I don't)..."

Day One. Only nineteen minutes into Day One:

"The Campaign to Impeach President Trump Has Begun"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/01/20/the-campaign-to-impeach-president-trump-has-begun/%3foutputType=amp

^ That article was published on January 20, 2017 at 12:19pm, which means the Democrats had already staked out their agenda before he was even officially inaugurated.

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

What Trump did was plain wrong and every senator and most on this thread
know it even though they continue to defend his actions.

What did trump do? All I see are corrupt politicians who ran an unconstitutional process that was thrown out of court due to no evidence to support the manufactured charges. The only witnesses testified that schiff imagined everything.

1 Like Save    
bfox254

Lurker, you proved my point. Trump as the victim instead of responsible for his own actions. Nothing about those charges were manufactured.

8 Likes Save    
lurker111

It was all made up in schiff's head and his own witnesses proved it. Why was Nadler allowed in this process? He's been harassing Trump for over 30 years.

(I didn't read your post after the first sentence.)

1 Like Save    
how2girl

All the people who said Trump is guilty testified under oath, all the people who said Trump is innocent refused to testify under oath.

8 Likes Save    
lurker111

The crats lied under oath. They read minds under oath. They had no evidence to even suggest a crime. "He said she said, I presumed."

All the people who said Trump is guilty testified under oath,

Their testimony exonerated Trump. "No one an this planet told me anything"

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Right maddie...let the voters decide...like how 75% of Americans wanted witnesses to testify...the gop only want the voters to decide if they think it will benefit them. Gerrymandering anyone?

6 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Our liar in chief has set the standard, and his admirers are following in his footsteps.

4 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

After all this time of trying to tell people the truth of our perspective, I find the continued imputation that we are lying to them about our perspective insulting. We are not. Stop saying we are.

It can't be done, because if they admit it is not just 'sour grapes' they would then have to consider that your reasons might be valid, and that, they will not do.

They would have to reflect on Trump's transgressions and how detrimental they are to democracy, not just in the US but in every country that now has to navigate dealing with a leader who will bully, threaten, lie and use his might to strong arm agreements.

Now, with the acquittal, which, by the way, is being commented on by our political pundits, as not an exoneration because it was a trial without witnesses, coupled with the fact that some of the Republican senators said he was guilty, he has become a leader who other leaders must distrust first, until they can independently verify his words.

This affects the world, this allows Trump to change us all, and not for the better.

11 Likes Save    
cecily 7A

Ubro, that was nicely stated. Thank you.

1 Like Save    
Ann

I agree with Stan. No thanks to a road back to mediocrity. But, I'm just one of many voters who will make that decision. Like Margo, I'm voting for Trump in 2020.

4 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

I will add, if Trump acts out of revenge to Bolton, Mitt Romney etc., we are watching, in slow motion, how a dictatorship is created, little lie, by little lie, bit by bit, mulligan by mulligan.

He rises because he claims 'victim', with that claim he absolves himself and the GOP from any responsibility for their actions. That sentiment is what feeds his base, they believe that they are saving him, his speech this morning proves that fact.

Look at the party approval rating for Trump, Jim Jones had 100% approval before they drank the kool aide.

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

We have no respect for romney. Anything Trump does to get rid of him is good for the country. We support Trump, not romney.

Save    
Nana H

Apparently some truth to the heads on a pike comments.

5 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

We have no respect for romney. Anything Trump does to get rid of him is good for the country. We support Trump, not romney.

Well, so much for freedom of speech, so much for the freedom to make your own decisions. As I said, only in a dictatorship are you not allowed to disagree with a leader, only in a dictatorship do you get punished for disagreeing with a leader.

9 Likes Save    
Ann

Utah will get to make the decision of how they feel about Romney if he decides to run beyond his current term. In the meantime, he's certainly free to make the decisions he chooses. If the voters of Utah like them, I assume they'll reelect him. If not, someone else will take his place.

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

And Trump and his supporters are free to campaign against romney for his own actions. The GOP is free to drop him and he can run as a crat. The crats must have something on him. I heard something that isn't good.

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

Romney's job was to assess whether the house managers proved their case and if so, if the case amounted to high crimes and misdemeanors that constituted conviction under impeachment standards, NOT his "conscience" and his personal prejudices about Donald Trump, who before and since being POTUS has bested Romney at every turn. Hat in his hand for Secretary of State did not get it, and DID get the president's support when he ran for the senate.

What do you expect from a narcissitic, pious man who straps a dog on top of a car?

Apparently that's dandy now.

The hate is real. From Romney as well--he had to make a long, boring and totally irrelevant speech THEN call Chris Wallace for an interview. It's all about him and his children and grandchildren and we all had to be told. He is so Godly make sure we remember that right Mittens? Why Mitt now why not Mittens still? Obvious.

The hypocrisy of the left praising the character of an animal abuser AND a pious Morman--both which heretofore were anathema to liberals illustrates that crowd follows the hate trail wherever it goes.

3 Likes Save    
Chi

"iluustrates that crowd follows the hate trail wherever it goes."

Reminds me of how Trump supporters instantly turn on anyone who speaks up against him.

8 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Romney is getting exactly what he wanted out of this. Romney wants to be relevant.

4 Likes Save    
Nana H

I understood Romney's remarks about his faith as compelling him to honor the oath he swore to his Gtid. If anything I took him to mean that his faith was compelling him to put politics and personal feelings aside and honor his oath.

I can't abide Romney but I would never question his faith just as I would never question anyone's faith.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

"I can't abide Romney but I would never question his faith just as I would never question anyone's faith."

Good thing it's not his morals and ethics:)

4 Likes Save    
Nana H

Actually , it is in large part because of his ethics that I don't like him. Faith is different from morals and ethics.....unfortunately.

I find it particularly offensive when people who boast about their faith questions another's.

Edited

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Just a note that it wasn't long ago on another thread the dems were chastised for saying they knew what was in someone else's mind and the dangers of doing so....seems to me there are those who think they know what was in romney's mind. I guess IOKIYAR.

6 Likes Save    
woodnymph2_gw

I was not a fan of Romney but I question those who dare to presume to read his mind and heart. Many are seeing his courage to stand up to this bully of a POTUS as heroic. At least on this one instance, Mitt is walking the walk. He has a "spine" which is far more than I can say about most of the other Repubs.

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

Romney might have been hearing voices. I don't doubt that.

Save    
elvis

lurker111

What Trump did was plain wrong and every senator and most on this thread
know it even though they continue to defend his actions.

What did trump do? All I see are corrupt politicians who ran an constitutional process that was thrown out of court due to...

Lurker, did you mean to write "unconstitutional"?

how2girl

All the people who said Trump is guilty testified under oath, all the people who said Trump is innocent refused to testify under oath.

I hope you don't believe what you wrote^^^. You don't think that was just a tad over-simplified, with just a bit of hyperbole tossed in?

Look at the party approval rating for Trump, Jim Jones had 100% approval before they drank the kool aide.

That's a very disappointing bit of nonsense, coming from you, ubro. Completely expected from a couple of posters here, but this is a first for you, as far as I've seen. Ah well.

2 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

That's a very disappointing bit of nonsense, coming from you, ubro.Completely expected from a couple of posters here, but this is a first for you, as far as I've seen. Ah well.

Sorry to disappoint elvis, but the the inability to actually have a trial, the fear that heaven forbid you would find out the Trump was guilty and then have to remove him, not invalidating an election but showing that those you elect are not corrupt, made me realize that those following Trump and ignoring his actions , which, will in turn hurt the world, for their own financial gain are actually in a cult.

There is no other explanation, even if you thought the Congress was wrong, then exonerate him in a Senate trial, anything less was a coverup.

Trump is speaking as I type and as usual the man spends the time praising himself, patting himself on the back, and his bootlickers stand and applaud. He is repeating his lies and they bow. Cult is the only metaphor that applies.

7 Likes Save    
Kathy

Romney a lifelong Republican had to make a hard decision to vote for conviction of a President in his own party. He is ready to accept whatever Trump doles out knowing it will be harsh. Trump already has his list for vengeance. Never say Trump took the high road. He finds the gutter every time. .

4 Likes Save    
how2girl

how2girl

I hope you don't believe what you wrote^^^. You don't think that was just a tad over-simplified, with just a bit of hyperbole tossed in?

Just for you elvis - shouldn’t have any trouble deciphering it then.

Save    
lurker111

Shouldn’t have any trouble deciphering it then.

My code ring says it's complete nonsense, made up by someone looking for a reaction. ^^^^

No one testified that Trump was guilty of any crime.

Save    
ubro(2a)

No one testified that Trump was guilty of any crime.

Because the man on trial aka Trump, blocked them. First time that a person charged get's to say who can be called as a witness, can we say 'cover up'.

2 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

I would like to think that something would make Trumpers think about what they are saying, what they are ignoring. Humans have been doing this for too long and we never seem to learn. This is exactly how Hitler came to power. He was good for the economy. Really, that is a big part of it. Can you learn anything from the Millions of people who died because of that kind of thinking? Hitler wouldn't even be a footnote if people who had a goal that they wanted and thought they could use him hadn't sold out humanity for that goal and right at this moment the GOP is doing the same thing. Donald Trump did leverage the foreign aid voted for by your own representatives to make a country create a smear of a political opponent. And it is possible that it has worked and that opponent will no longer be a threat to Donald Trump. You are good with this? For such a man? If that is true we deserve this.

Save    
Ann

P, let me see if I'm understanding your point. Good economy = Hitler type leader = people dying = where the GOP is headed?????

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

No Ann, I am trying to tell you that a good economy is no excuse for excusing the sort of behavior that Trump shares with Hitler. Hitler is a nice short hand for dictatorial types who are going to ruin a perfectly workable culture because they are greedy and surrounded by greedy people who will sell you for hair and teeth.

3 Likes Save    
olliesmom

Ann, that is where the Left are totally off their rocker! They wonder why no one takes them seriously anymore! They are trying any words or anything they can to dig themselves out of their hole. When they started this dictator talk, way back when Trump was elected (or was is when he was a candidate) it was so over the top and dramatic and just plain crazy, to be honest! Talk like that, is why most think the left are crazy and unhinged!! Not to mention, all the other carp they have tried to muster up. It's just so ridiculous.

6 Likes Save    
Toby

If you have an opinion on today's current events or other hot topics,
feel free to discuss it here. These topics tend to appeal to articulate
people with strong opinions and often these debates are sometimes
heated. You may challenge another's point of view or opinion, but do so
respectfully and thoughtfully, without insult and personal attack. You
are responsible for your own behavior and if you cannot follow these
rules, your posts may be removed and your membership privileges may be
revoked.

1 Like Save    
Ann

Olliesmom, I think your recent comment is spot on. Ditto to every word in it.

5 Likes Save    
Ann

If the left would come back to earth, bring their criticism of Trump back to something that sounds like realistic criticism, and present their vision in a big way and with more detail, I think they'd have a much better chance. I also think the unhinged sounding statements are sounding ridiculous.

4 Likes Save    
queenmargo

"Normally, when a party loses an election, it accepts defeat. It reflects and retools. But not this time."

We are not dealing with "normal" people any more. The left has gone rabid. They embrace the insanity of Schiff, Nadler, Schumer and Pelosi. Thee most twisted, loony foursome with TDS. If things don't go their way, they fabricate, and destroy. The left would do well with cleaning house and starting over with some clean hands and minds to represent the party.

I often think that if the left would have had the sense to try to work with Trump, how so many more things could have been accomplished on both sides. If there could have been some give and take instead of just resist. SAD!

3 Likes Save    
olliesmom

Ann, thanks.

I would like to know, where do the Left even hear this garbage? I mean, really, where do you hear this garbage and/or come up with this ridiculousness?

You do realize, we Trump supporters, have him right where we want him. We could bring him down in a nano second, if we wanted. We have a President, who finally works for the people and who represents us! This is what WE want! WE are wanting America to go forward with our values, economy, etc.- which was going downhill FAST, and President Trump knows that is what his supporters want. We have been left without a voice the past few years. He works for us! And, he has given us or trying his best to give us, a lot of what he has promised. So, see, the left has it all wrong, we have the total opposite of a dictatorship than you can get. This is just MHO.

3 Likes Save    
Ann

Absolutely Margo. Trump would have been incredibly willing to deal with and work with Dems!

We'll see how the election goes. If Trump were to win an even bigger victory than he did in 2016, maybe the Dems will then see their "tactics" failed and they will regroup as they approach 2024. Maybe that would begin the reflect and retool stage. At that point, they couldn't possibly benefit from Trump obsession anymore, because he won't be running again. If they lose, maybe they'll even have the wisdom to move away from that obsession. That's a fresh start point, where both parties move to equal footing in terms of the 2024 election, with no incumbent in the 2024 race.

3 Likes Save    
Toby

I think her comment verges on being abusive and violates the guidelines. But if it's acceptable to you Trump supporters, you must not mind when the Left uses degrading words to talk about the Right. To each their own.

The Left has worked with Trump on several issues. They had an agreement on Dreamers, but then he reneged. Every time he's worked with the Left, the far right cried foul and he capitulated to them.

Last night during the debate Warren and Klobuchar said they voted for
the USMCA trade agreement. Did you know it got Dem support? The vote in the Senate was 89-10, yet Trump takes credit for it.

Save    
olliesmom

Margo, that is so true. I think President Trump had every intention of working with the Dems when he was elected.

4 Likes Save    
Nana H

The only reason USMCA made it out of the House is because Pelosi put a team of Dems together to work with the Administration on improvements that garnered Democratic and union support. Trump didn't even have the grace to acknowledge that work or invite Pelosi to the signing.

To this day it appears most Trump supporters either don' t know about the months of work the Dems did or know it and won't admit it.

1 Like Save    
Toby

I didn't know this article until now. See how his pettiness always comes into play? Why should we respect him?

President Donald Trump on Wednesday
signed his signature trade deal with Mexico and Canada into law, sealing
a big bipartisan win for him during his heavily partisan impeachment
trial.

But the celebration on Wednesday was
far from bipartisan, as Trump excluded Democrats from the ceremony
despite their key role in securing the final version of the deal that
passed with overwhelming majorities in both the House and Senate.

Instead, Trump used the signing of the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement as a
chance to keep ownership of his deal in a White House ceremony withhundreds
of Republican lawmakers, Mexican and Canadian leaders, local officials,
and business, industry and union leaders present.

Meanwhile,
Democrats and many labor unions have also been largely supportive of
the deal after they secured changes that make the USMCA one of the most progressive trade agreements ever negotiated by either party.

The
pact was the product of months of negotiations between U.S. Trade
Representative Robert Lighthizer and a group of nine Democrats tapped by
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to make changes to the original version of
the USMCA that Trump signed in 2018. Democrats had been concerned over
the pact’s enforcement, labor, environmental and drug-pricing
provisions.

“It
puts a smile on my face that he’s really signing a bill that includes
Democratic priorities that we’ve been fighting for for decades,” said
Rep. Jimmy Gomez (D-Calif.), one of the Democrats closely involved in
landing the final deal.

Democrats were clear that they will not take Trump's snub personally,
and instead, are focused on replicating the success they had in securing
changes to the USMCA and translating those priorities into new deals.

While
Trump made no mention of Democrats' role in USMCA, Lighthizer did make
passing reference in thanking them for helping make it a "bipartisan
success." He added that he knew "listing members in an audience like
this makes more enemies than friends."

However,
privately, Lighthizer called Democrats ahead of the ceremony to express
how he would have wanted them to be present at the signing, according
to people close to those conversations. One Democrat said Lighthizer's
call showed he's a "class act."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/29/trump-signs-usmca-into-law-108803

Save    
Toby

False narrative: The Dems have never been willing to work with Trump.

Save    
queenmargo

. Trump didn't even have the grace to acknowledge that work or invite Pelosi to the signing.

Maybe if she was not busy impeaching him, he might feel different?

4 Likes Save    
olliesmom

I actually thought I heard him throw a bone to the Dems recently about signing the USMCA. I think it was after the Prayer Breakfast. I would have to go back and listen to it again, but I was glad he did. I mean, it was a no-brainer to support it.

Maybe Dems need to work with Trump more, instead of against him, and it might help your party get in the running again. If it's not too late.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

Yes, of course. Proof positive he cannot rise above his personal vendettas in order to do the people's work. Pelosi gave him a win when she could have stonewalled but she did the right thing........governed.

Trump should take a page out of Clinton's playbook.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/10/house-democrats-and-trump-administration-reach-usmca-trade-deal.html

"House Democrats and the Trump administration have reached an agreement to move forward with the White House’s replacement for the North American Free Trade Agreement, top Democrats said Tuesday.

The two sides had worked for more than a year to resolve Democratic concerns about enforcement tools for labor and environmental standards under the new deal, known as the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement. House Democrats, President Donald Trump, top Senate Republicans and labor leaders all cited progress toward a deal this week."

Save    
Ann

"Yes, of course. Proof positive he cannot rise above his personal vendettas in order to do the people's work. Pelosi gave him a win when she could have stonewalled but she did the right thing........governed."

No she couldn't have stonewalled:) America was watching (and loudly opining) and, just like with her decision to begin impeachment (based on the pressure of her caucus), the pressure on her got too great. She had no choice in either the impeachment or USMCA.

3 Likes Save    
olliesmom

^^^^ So true, Ann.

And, also, in the beginning, Trump was more Independent leaning, IMO, but the Dems hating him and constantly attacking, pushed him so far to the right-right into the hands of the conservative Republican senators. You do remember, in the beginning, even some of the Republican senators weren't for Trump. But, they won each other over. So, Dems can be thanked for that. Thank you Dems!

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

Of course she had a choice. Without labor's support the deal that came out of the WH would have failed in the House.

McConnell has choice too , his choice is to sit on some excellent bipartisan bills because , unlike Pelosi , he would rather stonewall than give the Dems a win or put his Senators on the record.

Save    
olliesmom

Nana, Dems are going to have to win back the trust of President Trump. He/We just don't trust all the leakers and corruption that has gone on by the Dems. It's going to take time and some proof that Dems aren't trying to stab him in the back, like they've done over and over again. This hate you all have for him, will just keep bringing you down.

3 Likes Save    
elvis

This is exactly how Hitler came to power. He was good for the economy.

Holy smokes. So when the economy is tanking, it's all good. Um, just no.

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

Olliesmom, the Dems will never trust Trump nor are they foolish enough to believe he can ever be trusted. They have heard his lies, seen his dishonesty, listened to his vitriol and experienced first hand how easily he walks back on his word.

Trump, is incapable of working wth anyone who does not show him total loyalty and complete subservience.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

Some people just know EVERYTHING.

1 Like Save    
elvis

To this day it appears most Trump supporters either don' t know about the months of work the Dems did or know it and won't admit it.

Of course we know, we were listening when they got off their butts and went on about their work. Good on them for finally doing something very productive, they were finally (!) doing some of the work they were hired for. It's not something to marvel over, it's...downright normal behavior. Whew. At last.

3 Likes Save    
Ann

"Of course she had a choice. Without labor's support the deal that came out of the WH would have failed in the House."

No she didn't have a choice. The deal might have failed in the House, but her resulting personal failure (and failure to her whole party) would have been too much for her to endure. She's not that stupid.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

Lol, she desperately needed something to take the focus off her failed House impeachment execution. She had no choice and she knew it. She already had one big stain from the impeachment, she didn't need another right then:)

2 Likes Save    
Toby

olliesmom

^^^^ So true, Ann.
And, also, in the beginning, Trump was more Independent leaning,
IMO, but the Dems hating him and constantly attacking, pushed him so far
to the right-right into the hands of the conservative Republican
senators.

Because his first act was to shut down the country to ALL Muslims! Secondly was the damn wall! If he didn't use xenophobia and racism to make his first decisions, Dems, the party of diversity, might have been willing to give him a chance. Christie told him to start with tax reform and infrastructure. Instead he listened to Stephen Miller. Then he rewarded a bunch of Wall Streeters and incompetents with Cabinet positions.

Trump overplays to the base with crackpot ideas and then we're criticized for not giving him a chance.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

Interesting premise Ann but given the Dems work on the changes to the USMCA started long before the impeachment process and the timing of the annoncenent was not in her control, you may want to try another.

Perhaps, you were unaware but the new deal was signed by the PM of Canada and the President of Mexico that day or perhaps the day before. Pelosi had no control on when the other countries would announce but once they did she had no choice. I think given her preference she would have wanted to wait a few days .

Save    
Nana H

Ann, Nancy Pelosi represents Democrats. Most Democrats, her constituents, would not have accepted a deal without the changes she negotiated. Killing a deal that did not include enviromental protection, union protections and a monitoring mechanism would not have cost her politically with Democrats.

Save    
Nana H

Elvis, too bad McConnell doesn't do the same thing and work on those hundreds of bills he is sitting on.

FWIW...and I'm not going loooking for it....months ago when I brought up the fact the Dems were actively working on changes to the deal many here were totally unaware of that fact

Save    
Ann

Actively working, yeah right, for months and months and months. Get real.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Guess FOX didn't cover it. The work went on for over 6 months

From The Hill

Trump closed the original deal, updating the North American Free Trade Agreement in 2018, but Democrats insisted on change they engaged in painstaking negotiations with U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer, eventually settling on an updated deal that won the backing of prominent unions such as the AFL-CIO.

Lighthizer, who won praise from Democrats for his seriousness in the negotiations, acknowledged "Republicans and Democrats" who “made this a bipartisan success,” but didn’t mention any Democrats by name.

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/480507-democrats-slam-trump-for-usmca-signing-Isnub

Also from Lighthizer at a Senate hearing re negotiations with Pelosi re changes to the USMCA

Also from the Hill

“The Speaker has been completely fair and above board and, I think, constructive in the way she’s done it,” he said in response to a question from Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) about Pelosi's handling of the deal.

Lighthizer added that Pelosi “has been exactly as you hope she would be.”

ETA

2 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Guess FOX didn't cover it. The work went on for over 6 months

Fox's cast of characters are just as scared of being piked as are the repubs in congress. Give Pelosi any credit on fox and trump will pounce, he needs 100% positive daily pablum, just like fox's other audience.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life You Said It: ‘Just Because I’m Tiny Doesn’t Mean I Don’t Go Big’
Changing things up with space, color and paint dominated the design conversations this week
Full Story
Life You Said It: ‘Or Is It Just Me?’ and Other Houzz Quotables
Design advice, inspiration and observations that struck a chord this week
Full Story
Life You Said It: ‘Work With the Space You Are Given’ and More
Having trouble keeping that resolution momentum going? Help is here
Full Story