A man with convictions. A true profile in courage.

chipotle

Mitt Romney.

SaveComment101Like10
Comments (101)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cattyles

Good job, Romney.

5 Likes Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Reminds me of McCain. I may have to rethink my position on Romney (even if he did have binders)

7 Likes Save    
Nana H

Incredibly well stated and clearly heartfelt. Let the character assassination begin.

3 Likes Save    
chipotle

Rob, my husband said McCain would have been proud.

6 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

At least one republican found his backbone.

4 Likes Save    
paprikash

Gee, I seem to remember MAJOR Romney HATE a few years back. Now, he’s your hero? LOL

Save    
leona_2008

Thank you for posting this, Chipotle. We should also acknowledge Doug Jones for voting his conscience. Until he made his announcement, I hadn't considered the extra backlash he will face in the red red state of Alabama. Manchin, do you have this much moral courage?

eta: We should acknowledge Doug Jones instead of applaud him.

6 Likes Save    
Nana H

One can dislike his politics but respect his strength of character as a time like this. Difficult concept for those who have decided unless you blindly support Trump you are un American and worthy of insults and character assassination

31 Likes Save    
chipotle

Nana, wish I could like your post a thousand times!!!

8 Likes Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

If HATE and HERO are the only two options I guess I’ll go for HERO.

Given my druthers I would choose “human being whose actions in this particular situation I respect.”

21 Likes Save    
chisue

Romney honors his god and his oath to that god and this nation as a senator. This reminds me of Martin Luther, risking his life when the Roman Catholic Church demanded he recant his accusations against the church. Luther refused to bend, saying that because he was a man of god, "Here I stand. I can do no other."

5 Likes Save    
Toby

"My faith is at the heart of who I am" and then he chokes up.

3 Likes Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

pap, hence my I may have to rethink... I'm not fond of him, but I admire the courage of his convictions being displayed.

1 Like Save    

Gee, I seem to remember MAJOR Romney HATE a few years back. Now, he’s your hero? LOL

Ya know, when you see a truly destructive republican trashing the office of the presidency, it makes you think that Romney wouldn't have been so bad after all. Elected officials are truly at their best when they dig deep into their consciences and come up with a moral and just response. And Romney had the courage to do the right thing so he gets kudos from me.

12 Likes Save    
elvis

Romney feels compelled by his religion to vote thus, so be it.

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

Good for Romney. It sounds as if his faith was tested and he made the right choice. It’s too bad he is in the minority.

6 Likes Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

elvis, I have no idea how you came to that. He's voting to impeach because of the "appalling abuse of public trust" exhibited. How is that religious?

6 Likes Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

I'm fine with his vote, but the man is bitter. As was I after he flopped in the debates against Obama. He reminds me of Biden in the sence that he refuses to accept his mediocrity.

Save    
Kathy

Romney is voting to impeach because he recognizes Trump committed a crime. Many in the party also believe the same yet will not vote to impeach and remove. The difference is Romney views it in the larger context of his immortal soul not the transient win for his party. It shows his oath was taken seriously and his conscience will be clear.

15 Likes Save    
Toby

He's a true statesman and a leader, which we have very few of in Congress these days.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

Donald Trump Jr. Calls For Mitt Romney to be Expelled From GOP After Backing Impeachment

Mediate

does this equate to nullifying voters?

8 Likes Save    
Ann

About the only thing I have to say about Romney's decision is I hope Trump makes the choice to ignore it as he ignored the impeachment topic last night at SOTU. It does appear Trump has chosen to ignore it prior to the acquittal vote, since he cancelled a scheduled Guaido photo op with reporters.

I think Trump should also ignore it after the vote too (even though reporters will predictably hound him with questions about Romney), but I think it's unlikely he'll ignore it then.

Save    
paprikash

I hope Trump ignores it. Romney is just one of many sore losers

Save    
maddie260

Romney will go down in the books as the moral person, not the ones who blindly voted to go along, for party sake, with this serious breach of the constitution.

14 Likes Save    
Toby

I doubt he'll ignore it. Vanity Fair had an article yesterday where an insider said Trump has added Bolton and Romney to his enemies' list along with Schiff and Nadler (joining dozens of others). He wants to go after some of them criminally--Schiff, Nadler, and Bolton I believe. Not much he can do about Mitt. Utah isn't the evangelical Deep South so Trump's approval rating isn't as high there as other deeply religious states.

Save    
Joaniepoanie

For those senators who vote to acquit, it will be their legacy above anything else they may have accomplished in their careers. Only one profile in courage will stand out, and that is Romney.

11 Likes Save    
Kathy

Trump cannot ignore Romney. His core narcisssim will require vengeance just as it goes after Bolton, the Whisleblower and anyone who dares to cross him. We have already seen it from Trump Jr.

14 Likes Save    
Ann

Regarding Romney (and Trump), this is kind of interesting. This is from Washington Examiner today and the "Utah Policy survey" info about Trump (in the first sentence below), was from yesterday. I thought Romney was fairly popular in Utah, but it appears Trump may be more so (although the Romney info is several months old), so hard to compare.

"The Utah Policysurvey showed that for the first time since his election, a majority of Utah voters approve of Trump’s job performance, echoing his surge in national surveys.

According to the poll analysis, “The survey, conducted for UtahPolicy.com and 2 News by Y2 Analytics shows 52% of likely voters approve of President Trump, while 45% disapprove, giving the president a net-positive approval rating of +7.”

The same outfit in October found Romney’s job approval underwater, at 46%-51%."

Save    
Kathy

Is it all about winning and nothing to do with morality?

17 Likes Save    
maddie260

Romney is not up for reelection for four years, so it doesn't matter what any poll says now. In four years, the full extent of dt's corruption, law breaking, and swamp will be on full display; it will be better appreciated by all. I fully expect that most of his sycophants will be running for cover.

17 Likes Save    
paprikash

Perhaps Joe Manchin will be another profile in courage

3 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Sad that acting honorably and placing country above party, as Romney has done, is such an exception among Republicans on the Hill.

12 Likes Save    

Well Don Jr couldn’t ignore it. Think Dad will rebuke him, tell him it’s up to the voters to decide? Publicly uphold Romney’s right to vote as his conscience dictates? (A major republican value, as I understand it.)

3 Likes Save    
Ann

Maddie, I don't think it will impact a Romney reelection. I just happened to run across that Examiner article when I was googling about the canceled photo op with Guaido, likely based on this Romney news. I just found the Examiner info kind of interesting info I was previously unaware of.

Save    
Toby

Doug Jones is another profile in courage. I hope Manchin will be too--both Dems in deep red states

3 Likes Save    
don_socal

nancy_in_venice

Sad that acting honorably and placing country above party, as Romney has
done, is such an exception among Republicans on the Hill.

Agree and sad also that this is done by one that has a checkered history.

Edit : I question his motives.

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

If Manchin votes to acquit it will not be a profile in courage it will be because he is worried about losing his seat . If he votes to remove, that will be courageous.

2 Likes Save    
chisue

I see that the master mugwump opportunist Susan Collins will not even vote to censure. How can (especially) the *women* of Maine support her?

BTW, the issue here is the 'so-called' *trial* conducted by the Senate. Trump stands *impeached* (by the House). The Senate can convict, censure, or acquit. This was supposed to be a TRIAL, but was not. The Constitution charges the Senate with trying the President. Trump's supporters refused to follow the Constitution in conducting a fair and complete trial, one of the DUTIES they SWEAR to uphold. Why would anyone trust any one of them after this?

6 Likes Save    
Kathy

Don, I feel the same way. Why is a man revered because he does what he took an oath to do? I commend him but he’s no hero in my book.

3 Likes Save    
Ann

"If Manchin votes to acquit it will not be a profile in courage it will be because he is worried about losing his seat . If he votes to remove, that will be courageous. "

Or, he might vote because he has reached the conclusion the president deserves to be acquitted or convicted based on the case presented, and his vote will reflect his decision.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

For anyone looking for the speech:

Worth ten minutes of your time to hear what it’s like for someone to follow their conscience.

3 Likes Save    
paprikash

So it’s courageous to convict but not courageous to acquit—okaaaay

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

I highly respect Doug Jones because he is up for election in a red state. That is voting his convictions and against his personal interests.

4 Likes Save    
paprikash

This was a pathetic partisan shampeachment. No one with any integrity should vote for either article of impeachment. It was not bipartisan. That should mean something to people capable of thinking for themselves instead of following the democrat party line.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Courage lies in voting your conscience in a way that may hurt you politically . It doesn't matter if that is convict or acquit.

8 Likes Save    

I question his motives.

No doubt Romney is looking at the future of the GOP after the Trump infection has passed, and he will point to his Senate vote as the only Republican who stood against flagrant corruption.

13 Likes Save    
Kathy

Since when have the GOP and McConnell been nonpartisan? From the day Obama won the Presidency the GOP went on strike. They have perpetuated this partisan divide and Trump has exacerbated it to benefit himself. If Obama had a fault it was thinking he could work with The GOP. The Dems cannot work bi-partisan when the GOP refuses to compromise.

12 Likes Save    

There are many republicans who want to wrest the party back from these corrupt people who are now leading it. Romney is the first to say "no mas".

7 Likes Save    
Toby

Kathy

Don,
I feel the same way. Why is a man revered because he does what he took
an oath to do? I commend him but he’s no hero in my book.

I don't think he's acted dishonorably as governor, Senator, and presidential candidate. If you can think of something I've forgotten, please share it. He did stick his neck way out early on about Trump when he wrote that essay.

3 Likes Save    
foodonastump

It was not bipartisan.

Abuse of power guilty votes were bipartisan.

3 Likes Save    
Ann

"Abuse of power guilty votes were bipartisan."

Lol, would some sort of congratulations be in order?:)

ETA: I am laughing out loud as I type this.

Save    
elvis

Bipartisan with an asterisk.

Save    
foodonastump

Bipartisan with an asterisk.

Yes. Bipartisan.*

*first time in history

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Toby, I never meant to infer Romney has acted dishonorable. I am merely stating he did his job as he took an oath to do. He voted his conscience. He did what many others wouldn’t do. He really has nothing to lose by standing against Trump in his vote for impeachment. Are we all to be commended when we do our job? I would have done the same no matter the consequences. I just don’t find that heroic. Just my opinion.

1 Like Save    
leona_2008

Manchin voted guilty. trump carried WV by 40 points. Tester voted guilty. trump carried MT by 20 points. Jones voted guilty. trump carried AL by 30 points. No small thing for these men of moral courage to have done the right thing. Now, those that went against their own moral code and voted to acquit, well, they just extinguished the last of that moral code.

11 Likes Save    
Nana H

It takes guts to put truth ahead of self.

6 Likes Save    
chipotle

I just don’t find that heroic.

In this Trump era it's definitely heroic. How often do you see anyone take a stand against Trump? I'll applaud anyone who has the guts to do the right thing.

7 Likes Save    
elvis

Nana H

It takes guts to put truth ahead of self.

Romney's vote was all about self, and nothing but himself. No guts involved. That said, as I wrote up thread:

Romney feels compelled by his religion to vote thus, so be it.

1 Like Save    
cyn427 NoVaZone7

"So it’s courageous to convict but not courageous to acquit—okaaaay"

I find it interesting that those of us who identify as either liberal, progressive, or members of the Democratic party are usually willing to give credit to Republicans when they act in ways that align with our values and political views or when we recognize their honest convictions on an issue. That does not diminish either us or Romney. Some things are worth taking a stand for or against and Romney believed this was just one instance. I never voted for Romney (no surprise there), but I do respect his decision today and understand how honest it was.

As an aside, Jon Meacham just described Romney as a Fortinbras type-I love such literary references.

4 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Yeah, yeah, yeah...until Romney isn't useful to the Left. Then he'll be that sweaty, drug-addled candidate they so hated on in 2012.

Save    
Kathy

I give him credit for voting his conscience. I just think that should be he norm not the exception.

6 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Romney wants to be president and he believes that there are real Republicans out there who think as he does. People who might actually want that small government that Repubs talk about and family values and a balanced budget(sort of) and who stand against totalitarian governments and stuff like that. So he is positioning himself for that scenario. I think he has misunderstood the base. They want excitement and thrills a minute. Reality TV rules these days and the Mitt is dull.

4 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

LOL love it. The racist, animal abuser, with binders full of women is now a hero. Doesn't take much to make the left happy.

2 Likes Save    
chipotle

Now and forever.

3 Likes Save    
cyn427 NoVaZone7

Golly gee whiz. How many of us have pointed out that we are not making Romney a hero for doing the right thing according to his conscience? I respect that no matter who does it. I am glad that this time his conscience led him to a decision I agree with. The constant reversion to the idea he is now our hero is just plain ridiculous, but keep on, folks, while we move on to other issues.

4 Likes Save    
bleusblue2

paprikash

So it’s courageous to convict but not courageous to acquit—okaaaay

~~~

It's OK to acquit if you haven't decided in advance to cooperate with the White House. Not my words

Save    
Wants to Grow

Romney is carpetbagger who is willing to risk the reputation of his convictions, when it really doesn't make a difference.

Save    
Ann

Romney, Parnas, Stormy, Christine Ford, Avenatti, Bolton - they all get their day of being the left's heroes - lol. The only criteria is opposing Trump. If you do that, you're golden:)

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Or the flip side. ....speak against Trump and you are a turncoat, a traitor, and un American

11 Likes Save    
Kathy

Ann, not heros, they are witnesses. First hand witnesses. The witnesses the Republicans want to go away so they don’t have to admit Trump is a criminal. The proof is there but they covered it up. It will become more apparent and they will go down in history of a corrupt Senate coverup.

I don’t think it’s a bit funny.

7 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Romney, Parnas, Stormy, Christine Ford, Avenatti, Bolton

Funny group of hero's lol

1 Like Save    
Ann

They don't last long as heroes. As soon as they're no longer useful, they're out.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

How many of Trump’s hero’s and associates are in jail already? Ann, you're so right, how long til Trump disowns Giuliani? Lol

4 Likes Save    

Why is it always about hero worship with some posters?

Is it really so inconceivable that one can respect or even admire a person’s actions, philosophy, teachings, or personality without holding them on the level of a “hero?”

9 Likes Save    
Kathy

I will say I am impressed with Doug Jones.

On the day I was sworn in as a United States Senator, I took an oath to protect and defend the Constitution. At the beginning of the impeachment trial, I took a second oath to do ‘impartial justice’ according to the same Constitution I swore to protect.”

That is the mark of someone with a moral core. I believe his constituents will respect him.

6 Likes Save    
elvis

Nana H

Or the flip side. ....speak against Trump and you are a turncoat, a traitor, and un American

Just one of the perks you Canadians have. Does not apply^^^. Lucky you!

Save    

Just one of the perks you Canadians have.

Not Justin Trudeau!

Save    
woodnymph2_gw

Romney's past background is not without failings. He may not be a hero per se, but in today's Trumpian universe of unending lies and braggadocio, devoid of moral compass, his stand alone condemnation of what he deems to be wrong is an heroic act.

3 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

Just one of the perks you Canadians have. Does not apply^^^. Lucky you!

You are welcome to speak against any politician we have, elvis, sometimes we would welcome the notice. LOL

Save    
leona_2008

Whaaat??? You don't have a corrupt liar to worship?

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

wood nymph:

Romney's past background is not without failings. He may not be a hero per se, but in today's Trumpian universe of unending lies and braggadocio, devoid of moral compass, his stand alone condemnation of what he deems to be wrong is an heroic act.

And here we have it again--the STANDARD FOR IMPEACHMENT IS NOT what Mitt Romney "deems to be wrong,"

Mitt expressed conflict if it was impeachable no need to wrestle and pray.

Save    
Kathy

Romney stands ten feet taller than Trump. History will tell the story and Trump will be looked as a anomaly for American Presidents.

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

..........and his ardent supporters will share his ignominy in the pages of history.

3 Likes Save    
Ann

"You are welcome to speak against any politician we have, elvis, sometimes we would welcome the notice. LOL"

This brought me a sincere smile. I think this is why we have some addicted HT Canadians despite nearly every thread being about America. Some want to be where more action is.

2 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

The man who strapped his dog to the top of his car and Biden warned would put black Americans back in chains.

Fickle.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

You can think whatever you want and say whatever you want but you are dead wrong on why Canadians are interested in , and concerned with, American politics.

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

No, not fickle. AS IN NO NOT FICKLE. Not Hero Worshiping. It is not an all or nothing world out here. It is actually possible to see a balanced picture of a person. It is possible to give credit where credit is due. Sometimes the good that a person does outweighs the bad and some times it outweighs some of the bad and sometimes no amount of good can outweigh what someone has done. I would like to believe that Romney was voting his conscience.

3 Likes Save    
Wants to Grow

The man who was silent when the prior administration weaponized the IRS against their opponents. The man who said nothing when Obama's DoJ spied on journalists. The man who had no conflict with his conscience when Obama abused his power with the Iran nuclear deal and ransom payments.

1 Like Save    

The man who had no conflict with his conscience when Obama abused his power with the Iran nuclear deal and ransom payments.

There was no conflict of conscience for Romney because there was no abuse of power with the Iran nuclear deal, and there were no ransom payments.

5 Likes Save    

The man who was silent when the prior administration weaponized the IRS against their opponents. The man who said nothing when Obama's DoJ spied on journalists. The man who had no conflict with his conscience when Obama abused his power with the Iran nuclear deal and ransom payments.

———

Did Mitt vote for Obama?

Serve in Obama’s cabinet?

Go on tv talk shows and Twitter day after day after day explaining why Obama is allowed to do whatever he wants to do?

Vote “not guilty” in the Obama impeachment?

Save    
Wants to Grow

Hi miss lindsey, Pierre Defecto served Obama's re-election to him on a silver platter.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

You can't "vote your conscience". You must vote on the evidence. There was no evidence.

Save    
Nana H

His " conscience" was to uphold the oath he swore. Which was to be a fair and impartial arbitrator of the facts......and he was.

6 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

NanaH

You can think whatever you want and say whatever you want but you are dead wrong on why Canadians are interested in , and concerned with, American politics.

Okay.

Then you are dead wrong about everything you say about President Trump's motives, thoughts and actions and dead wrong about the same of his supporters.

You can of course think whatever you want and say what you want, but again--you are dead wrong.

2 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Stan, are you under the impression that simply by asserting something, that makes it true?

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

His " conscience" was to uphold the oath he swore. Which was to be a
fair and impartial arbitrator of the facts......and he was.

There were no facts. It was a conspiracy.

2 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Dublinbay:

Stan, are you under the impression that simply by asserting something, that makes it true?

Three plays ahead of you.

Think about it.

1 Like Save    
Save    
woodnymph2_gw

WTG, who is "Pierre Defecto"???

Save    
cattyles

It was Romney’s anonymous twitter account.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides 10 Design Tips Learned From the Worst Advice Ever
If these Houzzers’ tales don’t bolster the courage of your design convictions, nothing will
Full Story
My Houzz Houzz TV: A New England Farmhouse Explodes With Color
Creativity and color burst from every corner in this unique 18th-century Massachusetts home for an artist and her family
Full Story
World of Design World of Design: Artists and Artisans and Their Inspiring Studios
By Houzz
Meet these creative people, see their work and learn how their homelands have influenced their style
Full Story