James Carville Rages Over The State Of Dem Party "I'm Scared To Death"

catkinZ8a

THE DAILY BEAST

Updated Feb. 05, 2020 3:53AM ET

“The urban core is not gonna get it done. What we need is power! Do you understand? That’s what this is about,” he said.

Longtime Democratic strategist James Carville sounded the alarm bells on Tuesday night over what he described as the Democratic Party turning into an “ideological cult,” specifically singling out would-be presidential candidate Bernie Sanders.

In the wake of Monday night’s chaotic Iowa Democratic caucus that featured delayed vote results due to a faulty app, Carville appeared on MSNBC to warn that regardless of thefinal tallies, the Dems appear to be in big trouble.

“The polling averages have not been very good the last 10 days,” he sighed. “And I’ve seen some pretty good polls that show enthusiasm among Democrats is not as high as we would like it. So there’s something as people are watching this process that is concerning.”

Saying the party needs to “wake up and make sure that we talk about things that are relevant to people,” the former Clinton adviser grumbled that he is “not very impressed” with the Democratic field and suggested DNC chair Tom Perez should be canned.

After complaining that the campaigns “have to be more relevant,” Carville—who is backing longshot presidential hopeful Sen. Michael Bennet (D-CO)— was asked if he would get behind Sanders if the progressive senator ended up getting the nomination.

“Well, I’ll get behind him. I have no choice,” an unenthused Carville replied. “But look at the British Labour Party. We’re like talking about people voting from jail cells. We’re talking about not having a border. I mean, come on, people.”

He continued to rail against Sanders’ policy positions, describing the independent Vermont lawmaker as being for “open borders” and stressing that he doesn’t want the “Democratic Party of the United States to be the Labour Party of the United Kingdom,” something he's told The Daily Beast before.

Carville would go on to exclaim that Democrats need to be more concerned about taking power back in Washington, repeatedly stating that only 18 percent of the population controls 52 Senate seats.

“It matters who the candidate is, it matters what a party chooses to talk about!” Carville shouted. “I’m 75 years old. Why am I here doing this? Because I am scared to death, that’s why! Let’s get relevant here, people, for sure.”

“I just love you,” former Democratic senator and current MSNBC contributor Claire McCaskill cooed in response.

Carville, meanwhile, went on to make his case that the party was leaning towards a centrist candidate over a liberal one, wondering out loud: “Do we want to be an ideological cult? Or do we want to have a majoritarian instinct to have the majority party?”

“You and I know that 18 percent of the country elects 52 senators,” he continued, addressing McCaskill. “The urban core is not gonna get it done. What we need is power! Do you understand? That’s what this is about.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/james-carville-rages-over-state-of-democratic-party-says-im-scared-to-death

SaveComment23Like
Comments (23)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ann

This Carville video is getting a lot of attention. I was just watching MSNBC and they were discussing it there. It's giving Dems another reason to go after Bernie.

1 Like Save    
elvis

“Do we want to be an ideological cult? Or do we want to have a majoritarian instinct to have the majority party?”

“You and I know that 18 percent of the country elects 52 senators,” he continued, addressing McCaskill. “The urban core is not gonna get it done. What we need is power! Do you understand? That’s what this is about.”

A "cult"?! Oh noes.

2 Likes Save    
Wants to Grow

Carville has cause for concern for the Democrats cult behavior, beginning with the odd wearing of all white by the Democratic congresswomen. Didn't they do this last year? And to think Tulsi Gabbard was criticized for being cult-like and on the fringe with her stunning white pantsuits.

2 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

The only Cult I see is the Cult of Trump. Carville always sounds that way - he's an excitable boy.

2 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

The 'Ragin' Cajun' making lots of noise, as usual. We are used to it in the Dem Party, so we don't get alarmed like you outsiders do.

However, he still has first-rate political instincts, so I'm sure lots of people will pay attention to his advice--just to quiet him down, if nothing else. (good-humored poke).

Kate

3 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

The women in white is not a cult. It represents the sisterhood of women banding together to support women's issues, going back to the roots of the women's movement. It has nothing to do with last year's "fashion" being out-of-fashion this year.

Women's rights are not seasonal nor limited to certain years.

Kate

8 Likes Save    
Toby

“Well, I’ll get behind him. I have no choice,” an unenthused Carville
replied. “But look at the British Labour Party. We’re like talking
about people voting from jail cells. We’re talking about not having a
border. I mean, come on, people.”

I'm worried about how the RW narrative that we care more about illegals than we do about our own citizens will play with undecided voters. Does this concern any other liberals? When all Dem candidates endorsed giving free healthcare to illegals, it surprised me. I understand the moral argument but I don't think Trump voters care much about moral arguments.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

When all Dem candidates endorsed giving free healthcare to illegals, it surprised me.

I lost a lot of hope in that split second. As I said at the time, I think the smarter move would have been to say no and then come in from the back with some proposals for limited care/coverage. But all those raised hands, they’re still talked about even in my non-Trumpster circles.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

I think all those raised hands resulted in a profound and memorable moment. Frankly, I was surprised and stunned at that moment, even knowing and understanding it was a group of Dems.

Save    
Toby

Of course it's stunning when you don't even believe that every American deserves healthcare as a right.

2 Likes Save    
Wants to Grow

Hi Kate, Where is the sisterhood banding together to protect women from men entering their public bathrooms? Where is the sisterhood standing together to protect female athletes from biological males competing for their sport scholarships? Where is the sisterhood uniting to demand the release of lawmaker's ID who are settling sexual harassment cases?

It seems the sisterhood bands together to only support some women's issues, not all women's issues.

2 Likes Save    
margaritadina

/\/\ darn straight

''Toby I'm worried about how the RW narrative that we care more about illegals than we do about our own citizens''

It's not the RW narrative, Toby.

It was a great shock to everyone in this country to see liberals siding with illegal aliens against their fellow citizens, wishing all old white men to die out at the same time.

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

"I understand the moral argument but I don't think Trump voters care much about moral arguments."

It isn't just a moral argument, Toby, but also a public health issue. Ex. Suppose a contagious disease begins spreading among the immigrant community and to any American citizens they come in contact with--and then spreads to other parts of our communities and travels by air to other parts of the country.

You think we should refuse to treat anyone with that contagious disease just because they do not have citizenship papers yet? I doubt it.

~

As for the issue of costs, here is part of an answer from the NYTimes that I cited on my Fact Checking thread:

"The [Medicare-for-All] Bill . . . specifies that coverage will not be denied to residents on the basis of “citizenship status.” . . . The Medicare for all bills are expected to require large increases in federal spending, but the coverage of undocumented immigrants would represent a small fraction of that spending."

In other words, undocumented immigrants are not a big problem when it comes to providing Medicare-for-All. There are a lot more of us who need to be covered than there are of "them." "They" are a "small fraction" in comparison.

Kate

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

When all Dem candidates endorsed giving free healthcare to illegals [sic], it surprised me.

California is doing this on our own through Medi-Cal.

What is bad about having a healthier population -- one where undocumented residents can obtain health care and not spread illness in their communities and places of work. (Think service industries, and the amount of contact with the public.)

No US citizen nor permanent resident is being denied coverage so that the undocumented can be covered; Medi-Cal is being expanded to include the undocumented. All have to meet the requirements established by law.

The expansion of Medical-Cal to undocumented residents is in keeping with the plan first outlined by Jerry Brown, and now being followed by Gavin Newsom -- California would act on its own to resolve problems facing immigrants that are not being addressed due to long-standing inaction in DC.

The goal is to incorporate all immigrants into the general population, and not have groups left out because of their status. No hiding, no fear of reporting crimes, no having to drive without licenses, access to public education and healthcare.

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/10/740147546/california-first-state-to-offer-health-benefits-to-adult-undocumented-immigrants

California Is 1st State To Offer Health Benefits To Adult Undocumented Immigrants

California has become the first state in the country to offer government-subsidized health benefits to young adults living in the U.S. illegally.

The measure signed by Gov. Gavin Newsom on Tuesday extends coverage to low-income, undocumented adults ages 25 and younger for the state's Medicaid program.

Since 2016, California has allowed children under 18 to receive taxpayer-backed health care despite immigration status. And state officials expect that the plan will cover roughly 90,000 people.

Save    

It was a great shock to everyone in this country to see liberals siding with illegal aliens against their fellow citizens

How is offering undocumented residents the same benefits as citizens harming citizens? US citizens are not being denied benefits.

Save    
Toby

Paying for it with our taxes.

Save    
Toby

It surprised me because I'd never heard it mentioned as part of the Dem platform until that question came up in the debate. I don't need to be convinced. I understand the moral argument and know what it's like to suffer when you can't afford a doctor. I don't believe any creature should suffer, human or animal.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Just checked, one way flight NYC to El Salvador start at $80. Cheaper than a doctor’s visit.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Wuhan

Save    

one way flight NYC to El Salvador start at $80.

Great argument; send those escaping violence and poverty back to the violence and poverty.

Who bothers to think that the violence -- owed to the drugs coming to the US passing through El Salvador -- is caused by the insatiable appetite for drugs in the US.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Great argument; send those escaping violence and poverty back to the violence and poverty.

I have no issue with expanding refugee/asylum and regular immigration numbers.

Save    
lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)

He's still a piece of work. :-)

He's sharp and I think he's on the right track in his analysis.

2 Likes Save    
cattyles

The US can blow up the planet (more than once) but we can’t figure out humane healthcare.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Fun Houzz 10 Things People Really Don’t Want in Their Homes
No love lost over fluorescent lights? No shocker there. But some of these other hated items may surprise you
Full Story
Your First House So You're Thinking About Getting a Dog
Prepare yourself for the realities of training, cost and the impact that lovable pooch might have on your house
Full Story