SOTU - reaction from the other side
The other thread doesn’t look like a place for discussion so I figured I’d start a new one for reaction from the Left.
I didn’t watch much of the speech. It was on but I fell asleep. Woke up here and there but for the most part slept through it. So my reaction is based on the bit that I did see, plus commentary I’ve seen, plus my wife’s.
- Full of bluster and exaggeration, short on lies. The fact checkers aren’t having their typical field day. The one I’m seeing people harp on mainly is pre-existing conditions, evidence simply being he‘s trying to strike down the ACA. But since the replacement plan hasn’t been presented, can’t really say for sure where he stands.
- It was a polarizing speech playing to the base, but the Democrats didn’t do themselves any favors. Starting with Nancy. Everyone is talking about the handshake and I don’t get why. He didn’t shake Pence’s hand. She extended her hand after he had clearly begun to turn away. Watch the looping video on CNN, it looks unlikely to me that he even saw it.
- Women in white would have been a nice tribute to the centennial of women’s suffrage if it hadn’t been used in years prior. As it was, kind of a yawner.
- Ripping up the speech. It’s hard to imagine a stronger image of defeat. So much for decorum, huh Nancy?
- Afterwards someone started talking about potholes, which got me thinking of my own street, which reminded me I hadn’t yet put out the recycling.
After recycling duty I fell back asleep on the sofa. When I woke up Wolf was saying more Iowa results were coming in shortly. After what seemed like forever they did come in. Well, 9% more that is. More than 24 hours after the caucus, still no solid results. Off to bed.
Everywhere you turn this is a BAD time for Democrats. There is one way they‘re arguably beating Trump, and that is by themselves, not he, being their worst enemy.