There Are No Fakes

Cookie8

I just watched the most interesting documentary on Norval Morrisseau. He is a Canadian Ojibwa artist. The documentary was about a fraud ring creating imposters of his art. It is absolutely incredible, this program. It makes you wonder if anything is not exploited in this world. There is so much to this documentary to take in. I will have to watch again. I was expecting something a little more straight forward but how sinister it gets - truly unbelievable what some will do. How one will look the other way to suit one's own purpose. Mind boggling. TVO is an Ontario station re: the link.

https://www.tvo.org/video/documentaries/there-are-no-fakes

SaveComment6Like1
Comments (6)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elvis

Sadly, art forgery is and has been around for a very long time. Some of these exploitations are mind-boggling. The stories are many.

Save    
Cookie8

For sure, elvis. And then when you bring in the history of stolen art, ahem, British Museum! (not part of this documentary, stolen art is a whole different story)

Anyway, if you have time, it is an absolutely fascinating watch. My husband would try say something and I'd be "not now" as it just kept snowballing and I didn't want to miss anything. There is so much more than just false Morrisseau paintings out there but the greed and evil that lingers underneath it all. The deception is everywhere and in every way in this scenario. Yes, I was mind-boggled.

1 Like Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

Thanks for the recommendation Cookie, I just finished it. What a story.

Save    
Kathy

I can’t watch the video. It says not available in my region. I have however read how art is a big money laundering area.

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/art-and-money-laundering

Save    
Cookie8

Kathy, try on Youtube. I will check out the article so my naive little brain can be blown some more. So many things make me feel so sheltered. I am happy to have never met individuals like this in person though.

miss lindsey - so unbelievable.

1 Like Save    
elvis

Cookie8

For sure, elvis. And then when you bring in the history of stolen art, ahem, British Museum! (not part of this documentary, stolen art is a whole different story)

! I have such mixed feelings about that place. On one hand, the theft that put most of the antiquities there makes me livid. OTOH, I'm glad that they are in a safe place for generations to come to experience today. With these conflicts going on inside of me, I found the place so poignant that I simply couldn't go back after my first day there.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Landscape Design Is It Time to Consider Fake Grass?
With more realistic-looking options than ever, synthetic turf can be a boon. Find the benefits and an installation how-to here
Full Story
Christmas Trees Real vs. Fake: How to Choose the Right Christmas Tree
By Houzz
Pitting flexibility and ease against cost and the environment can leave anyone flummoxed. This Christmas tree breakdown can help
Full Story
Apartment Life 5 Ways to Fake a Bedroom in a Studio Apartment
If you don’t want your bed to dominate your studio apartment, try one of these options to set your sleeping zone apart
Full Story