Rush Limbaugh has advanced lung cancer

Ann

I'm so sad to hear this news today!

SaveComment28Like5
Comments (28)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loonlakelaborcamp(3 A/B)

Yes, it was on my news feeds. Lung cancer is a rough treatment plan. I learned a lot from him over the years.

5 Likes Save    
chipotle

I identify with this sentiment.

17 Likes Save    
olliesmom

I'm so sad too! He is so good at what he does and I have learned a lot from him. He has almost always been right too! I started listening to him in my 20's. He's got a tough road ahead and I wish him well.

8 Likes Save    
Nana H

Having witnessed how horrific this illness and death can be I would wish it on no one. Thankfully he has the monetary resources to fight it as best it can be fought. Too bad that can't be said for all who are diagnosed with this hateful disease.

5 Likes Save    
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

During the past three years, trump supporters taught me to no longer waste my compassion and empathy on undeserving people.

10 Likes Save    
Zeus

"... And so if people are violating the law by doing drugs, they ought to be accused and they ought to be convicted and they ought to be sent up.” Limbaugh argued. Said the addict in 1995 who wasn't "sent up" in 2003.

Tots and pears.

4 Likes Save    
2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

During the past three years, trump supporters taught me to no longer waste my compassion and empathy on undeserving people.

so classy to take this time to be mean. SAD!

5 Likes Save    
mudhouse

From Marcos Breton, in the Sacramento Bee:

We don’t know if Limbaugh’s diagnosis states that he has a short time left or if it is serious, or if his situation is more hopeful than that. But we do know this, or at least we should: This news should not be met with celebration. It should not be met with laughter and high-fives. It should not be met with Twitter memes or wicked witch analogies.

It’s really very simple. We’re either human beings or were not. We either live our values or we don’t.

I’m no fan of Limbaugh. I’ve always found him to be divisive and hostile to racial and ethnic minorities. Those feelings did not change with Limbaugh’s announcement. I didn’t suddenly retract my thoughts about Limbaugh and his public comments.

But if I allow those feelings to turn into pleasure because the author of those feelings is facing a grave disease, then haven’t I crossed a line that reflects badly on me?

...I want to beat Limbaugh’s ideas at the ballot box. I want to beat his ideas because I think mine are better.

But celebrating his grave disease? No. We need to be better for the sake of our children and our democracy.

If I saw Limbaugh today, I would extend my hand and wish him good health. It shouldn’t be hard to be human.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/marcos-breton/article239926218.html

11 Likes Save    
mudhouse

I've listened to Rush on and off since about 1990. His sense of humor, and passion for his topics, have always pushed the boundaries. That's made him a lot of fans and a lot of enemies, over more than three decades of broadcasting. He never shrinks back from saying what he wants to say, and I credit him with causing me to think hard about my own position on a lot of topics.

If we lose him I'll feel like the country has lost a valuable voice. A lot of us will be pulling for him as he faces this challenge. I wish him nothing but the best, and I think he knows he has a tremendous amount of love and support across the country.

9 Likes Save    
lakeaffect

Why would I wish a nasty, lying hypocrite who believes I am little more than chattel with no dominion over my body well? I hope he learns a few lessons from his suffering, that’s the best I’ve got.

4 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

Get well soon, Rush.

6 Likes Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

I learned a lot from my Christian Parents, “live by the sword, die by the sword”

Save    
foodonastump

Short of someone who inflicts physical torture on someone, I cannot feel “nothing” or worse for someone diagnosed with a terminal disease. The thought of pulmonary disease in particular is miserable just to think about. I’m sorry to read some dismissive posts here.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

This one is hard for me. I do not want to be the sort of person who celebrated the potential death of any person but Rush challenges that. He would certainly celebrate what is happening to him if it happened to someone from the opposing side but that makes me like him. Not a nice picture. I am not going to wish him well because of who and what he is..a person who monetizes divisiveness. A person who drives divisiveness in order to make more money. Money will be helpful in order to get the best care but if what he has said is true and it is Rush so it might just be a total sell, a bid for more support, he is in for it. I know he wouldn't take a moment for me. Am I better than he is? That is the issue for me. I am working on it.

3 Likes Save    
graywings123(7)

How does someone like him - age, wealth, medical history, cigar smoker ( I believe) - manage to not have cancer diagnosed until late stage?

1 Like Save    
margaritadina

''

gyr_falcon(Sunset 23)

During the past three years, trump supporters taught me to no longer waste my compassion and empathy on undeserving people. ''

Be careful with a stuff like that. Someone can decide that you are an undeserving person. It would be very sad.

Never heard of Rush before, but hope he has time to enjoy his family and friends.

Save    
Chi

My mom died of lung cancer, and it's not a great way to go, and unfortunately advanced lung cancer isn't very treatable yet. I'm far from a fan of his but I don't wish this type of illness on anyone.

When he passes, whether from this illness or otherwise, it will be interesting to see the long-term impact. I know quite a few people who have had their opinions greatly shaped by his.

1 Like Save    
mudhouse

Rush is getting a start on his planning for treatment over the next two days. He said he'll try to be back on Thursday, if possible. (I'd sure love to hear his comments about the Iowa Caucus mess!)

People across the country grew up listening to Rush. He'll have a lot of prayers, that's for sure.

2 Likes Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

graywings123(7)

( I believe) - manage to not have cancer diagnosed until late stage?

------------------

It was my first question, How you live your life is the foundation of your destiny.

Save    
sableincal

"I know he wouldn't take a moment for me."

Rush has raised more than $50 million for the fight against cancer. I recall way back in the day his fierce words to his listeners about giving and giving more to the battle for the cure of lymphoma and leukemia. I wish him well!

4 Likes Save    
chipotle

Weird how this thread stalled and then came back to life.

The thought of pulmonary disease in particular is miserable just to think about.

It's horrible to watch someone struggle to breathe. My dad died from emphysema 20 years after he quit smoking.

2 Likes Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Chipotle, totally OT, but one thing I despise about the anti smoking campaigns is how they are all about cancer, and nothing about all the other ways smoking kills and destroys your quality of life. People think cancer is a dice roll. Very few people escape all the horrible ways smoking maims. And smoking seems to be on the upswing again.

1 Like Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Rush Limbaugh denied smoking risks in 2015: ‘Smokers aren’t killing anybody’

The conservative radio host has long extolled the glamour and societal benefits of smoking, while downplaying its dangers

Just five years ago, conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh went on a
pro-tobacco rant on his show, during which he downplayed the risks of
smoking, said it’s “a myth” that secondhand smoke causes illness or
death and argued that smokers aren’t at any greater risk than people who
“eat carrots.”

“Smokers aren’t killing anybody,” the conservative host declared in an April 2015 segment
of the “Rush Limbaugh Show,” then argued that tobacco users should be
thanked because their purchases generate tax dollars that fund
children’s health care programs.

“I’m just saying there ought to be a little appreciation shown for
them, instead of having them hated and reviled,” Limbaugh said. “I would
like a medal for smoking cigars, is what I’m saying.”

Fast forward to Monday, when Limbaugh, 69, went on his radio show to
announce that he had been diagnosed with advanced lung cancer.

1 Like Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Rush Limbaugh denied smoking risks in 2015: ‘Smokers aren’t killing anybody’

1 Like Save    
kadefol

I am not a limbaugh fan at all, but I have asthma and feel for anyone who has a breathing-related illness. It is awful to not be able to breathe well and I hope they can at least help him be comfortable.

2 Likes Save    
Karen S. (7b, NYC)(NYC, zone 6)

Hi All,

I'd like to comment about areas related to this: lung cancer, lung disease in general, but think it best to start another thread.

Wonder if it's OK & hoping it will be to make my own PSA on HT about this, have important info to share.

Am an ex-smoker, smoked 42 yrs. & am off tobacco for 12 yrs. now. So happy to have stopped, best thing I've ever done. I had posted about 'stopping smoking etc' here at 'Discussions' area of the former GW tho' under another 'handle'. I didn't realize 'til just now that HT is at 'Discussions' & I'm here at HT now at least 1 yr.

Save    
bob_cville

>Rush Limbaugh denied smoking risks in 2015: ‘Smokers aren’t killing anybody’

I'm sure he'll be publicly recanting this opinion now that it has been proved incorrect.

Just like he did with his strongly held opinion that drug users ought to be jailed.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life How to Navigate an Extended Guest Stay
Keep sharing living quarters a positive experience by pondering the answers to these questions in advance
Full Story
Your First House The Moving-Day Survival Kit: Lifesaving Items and Niceties
Gather these must-haves in advance for a smooth move and more comfortable first days in your new home
Full Story
Most Popular What to Know About Controlling Dust During Remodeling
You can't eliminate dust during construction, but there are ways to contain and remove as much of it as possible
Full Story