Trump dissing the National Anthem

chipotle
SaveComment102Like
Comments (102)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123(7)

Someone needs to send that to Rush Limbaugh. His broadcast today was about the return of respect for the flag and National Anthem in the past 3 years.

2 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Someone needs to send that to Rush Limbaugh. His broadcast today was about the return of respect for the flag and National Anthem in the past 3 years.

Rush Limbaugh ended his broadcast today with an announcement that he has advanced lung cancer.

Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

Well that’s too bad for Rush.

I wonder what he thinks of the President’s performance?

ETA in reading this again, my first sentence sounds really snarky. It wasn’t intended to be. I do sincerely think it is too bad for him.

5 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Wait a minute--isn't this the president who lectured kneeling black football players about standing up straight at attention with hand over heart or in salute? Unpatriotic, otherwise?

Oh, I forgot for a moment. The rules that apply to everyone else do not apply to the president--or is that just to the Repub. president?

Kate

20 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

He can't wait to get his butt in that chair.

3 Likes Save    

This, along with the way he hugged the flag, really demonstrates that he feels no reverence for patriotic symbols.

Which is fine.

Except that he uses them rather cynically as tropes to attack his political opponents and people who don’t support him.

Which is hypocritical.

7 Likes Save    

Let him try that with Pete Buttigieg.

3 Likes Save    
zmith

Stupid is as stupid does. What a clown.

5 Likes Save    
Toby

He's acting like he had too many beers.

3 Likes Save    
AnnKH

I must admit, I do find it a little odd that the whole crowd is standing for the anthem, when they aren't actually at the game. When I watch sporting events at home, I certainly don't stand when the anthem is played. I do stop what I'm doing and listen.

That said - if everyone in the room was behaving as if they were at the event itself - standing at attention, hand over heart, listening - it is ridiculous to dance around or pretend to conduct. My kids at age 3 could stand quietly, caps off and hands over hearts, through the entire national anthem at a baseball game, yet our president can't stand still for the same length of time.

What the hell is wrong with him?

10 Likes Save    
Toby

I find it remarkable that wherever he goes, there are people who are willing to tell the truth about him. I'm sure he counts them as friends and allies, the type of friend you'd invite to watch the Super Bowl with you.

2 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

He was mocking the whole thing. And you know he sat down before it was over. Yeah—-the prez is some patriot. Dems should put that clip in their political ads.

The man has no respect for anyone or anything. He represents every character trait we teach our children not to be like. How he garners so much admiration and loyalty defies explanation.

15 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Did anyone else notice Melania used her left hand on the opposite side of her heart. Either clueless or sending some kind of signal.=======see comment below====

This was a big Superbowl party. The guests who stood for the star-spangled banner where showing patriotism, Trump is over and done with patriotism.

You're right chipotle, saw two people with left hands, picture is flipped, that throws me off. I won't erase since people have corrected me.

1 Like Save    
chipotle

Anna, I came across one of those threads the other day when searching for something. This isn't it, but it's the same thing.

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5546554/how-does-his-head-fit-through-the-door#n=184

2 Likes Save    
chipotle

Izzy, the video appears flipped because it was recorded with a phone’s selfie camera.

2 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Barron used his left hand too. You would think the First Family would know the proper etiquette.

2 Likes Save    
bpath reads banned books too(5b)

Izzy, the video was from a person doing it as a "selfie", so it's backwards. You can see someone else doing the same thing.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

There is something seriously wrong with trump...and it's only gotten worse since he's been elected. The man is not well.

8 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

bpath.....I don’t know. I took a selfie with my left hand over my heart and in the photo my left hand is over my heart...so not a mirror image.

Save    
Toby

He was probably mad because he had requested they play "Hail to the Chief".

I wonder if we're watching the beginnings of his unraveling. It should be an interesting second term if he's re-elected.

1 Like Save    
chipotle

Joanie, look at Trump's lapel pin. It's always on the left.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

What's weird is the video cuts out just as he's moving the chair and looks like he's about to sit down...

4 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Hmm...the "left" conspiracy. Must be some kind of signal to Putin. Has to be.

4 Likes Save    
chipotle

Two posts in one?

Save    
barncatz

Wow. What a hypocrite. I know he's said liberals "hate our flag" or other patriotic symbols.

It's interesting to me that HU- 952 doesn't seem bothered by Trump not standing respectfully during the Anthem.

5 Likes Save    
Toby

Things that aren't okay suddenly become okay when Trump does it.

10 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Del....I said it was not a mirror image but you conveniently left that out.

Save    
Del Phinium

Joaniepoanie

"Del....I said it was not a mirror image but you conveniently left that out."

Pssst... Joanie... your left hand is still your left hand, whether it's a mirror image or not... :)

1 Like Save    

“Pssst... Joanie... your left hand is still your left hand, whether it's a mirror image or not... :)”

But in a mirrored image a person’s left hand appears on the right side of the image. I don’t know the back of the first lady’s hand well enough to tell the right from the left in a grainy video, do you.

Save    
Del Phinium

Without even watching the video, miss lindsey, I can absolutely assure you, with 100% certainty, that MY LEFT HAND IS MY LEFT HAND, whether in a mirror or not. If that's not the case for somebody else (disclaimer: I'm not a doctor), I'd highly suggest seeking out some urgent medical attention to figure out how, in God's name, your hands are mysteriously switching to different arms than the arms that they were originally attached to. That's just me though.

1 Like Save    

You didn’t watch the video? You should. It will be enlightening to your understanding of the conversation. In it, Flotus looks as though her left hand is over the right side of her body. So it looks like she doesn’t know which side her heart is on/doesn’t realize that she should be covering her heart. In reality, her right hand is over the left side of her body but the way the camera is being used reverses the image.

Save    
Del Phinium

LOL. If you'd like to "enlighten" your "understanding of the conversation", perhaps you should go back and read what joaniepoanie actually wrote. Let me know what you find, and get back to me, ok? :)

ETA: At this point in my life, I'm fairly confident that I know what a mirror does LOL. One thing it doesn't do is make my hands switch arms ;)

1 Like Save    

“ Let me know what you find, and get back to me, ok? :)”

Nah I’ll pass. I think we both know what’s going on. But do watch the video :)

1 Like Save    
Del Phinium

LOL Bless your heart, Joanie :)

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Hold up something with writing, or wear a T-shirt with text and take a selfie. Notice that while you’re posing the text is backwards on your screen, but once you’re done taking the picture the phone flips the image (or video) and the text displays correctly. If your phone doesn’t do this, then everything will look backwards. My daughter has an app that prevents the correction, so that her image continues to look like what she sees in the mirror. Why, I have no idea.

Lapel pins can be put on the opposite side but one constant is Trump’s part. That’s sewn into his scalp. The video is a mirror image.

1 Like Save    
elvis

Joaniepoanie

Hmmmm.....how come only Del did not understand what I was saying?

Everyone understands what you said, you'll have to just trust me on this.

2 Likes Save    
Chi

I understand what you were saying, Joanie. Ignore the snarkiness!

1 Like Save    
Lindsey_CA

"He's acting like he had too many beers."

He snorted too much Adderall.

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

Trump disses Americans everyday for being fools. He would never vote for anyone who does what he’s doing to US.

Save    
socks(10a)

Thinking back to recent presidents, I don’t believe any one of them would have behaved in such an ugly, undignified manner. What an utter FOOL. He looks drunk.

3 Likes Save    
paprikash

He loves our Country; he loves our flag.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Republican heads would explode if Obama had done this. However, as with everything else, Trump gets a pass.

3 Likes Save    
paprikash

Well....like I said we know Trump loves our Country and flag

2 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Left hand / right hand, small potatoes when trump is flapping his wings around like a demented chicken.

6 Likes Save    
chipotle

So none brave enough to address the clearly disrespectful president?

1 Like Save    
paprikash

I don’t think Trump was disrespectful. I also don’t think he would sit still while anyone damned America. He loves our Country.

Obama's Pastor: God Damn America, U.S. to Blame for 9/11

Even Obama campaign aides concede Rev. Wright's rhetoric is "inflammatory."

By

BRIAN ROSS and REHAB EL-BURI

May 7, 2008, 2:34 PM

4 min read

March 13, 2008— -- Sen. Barack Obama's pastor says blacks should not sing "God Bless America" but "God damn America."

The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Obama's pastor for the last 20 years at the Trinity United Church of Christ on Chicago's south side, has a long history of what even Obama's campaign aides concede is "inflammatory rhetoric," including the assertion that the United States brought on the 9/11 attacks with its own "terrorism."

1 Like Save    
socks(10a)

Who cares what Obama's pastor said 12 years ago. That's all ya got?

Flapping like a chicken while others stand in respect isn't disrespectful? I guess trump supporters like the entertainment factor. Hence the success of his rallies.

9 Likes Save    
Toby

What would be your explanation for what Trump was doing during the Anthem, paprikash? Looking all around, talking to people, pointing, conducting, and then pulling out his chair to sit down. I would call it "acting out", like a toddler when he needs attention. You must be a little concerned or curious about what he was thinking. This is a 74 year old man acting like a toddler.

8 Likes Save    
queenmargo

He does have successful rallies, doesn't he?;))

1 Like Save    
Tito Milian

Trump seemed really into it But I understand that you have to make something out of nothing since the Democratic primaries going so poorly, Iowa is a cluster And impeachment failed

4 Likes Save    
queenmargo

This is a 74 year old man acting like a toddler.

LOL- everybody loves a toddler;)

1 Like Save    
Tito Milian

qm - the rallies are legendary already

1 Like Save    
Tito Milian

Exuberance!! Who knew it could be triggering?

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

A highlight in the history books')

1 Like Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Trump was upset the flag was getting more attention than he was, so he acted like a toddler.

6 Likes Save    
Tito Milian

There ya go!

2 Likes Save    
Toby

Okay, so respect for the National Anthem and the story it tells about our nation's history and ideals isn't required anymore because Trump has thrown that tradition out the window too. Got it.

Seems some of us are molding ourselves to act and sound more and more like Trump these days.

5 Likes Save    
Tito Milian

Uh huh. That works, too

1 Like Save    
Tito Milian

queenmargo- time for the Trump hugging the flag meme!

1 Like Save    
chipotle

And impeachment failed

Wrong. Trump was impeached. He will be till the end of time.

8 Likes Save    
queenmargo

only in the minds of the Dems;)

3 Likes Save    

Lol there is no valid reason or excuse for his behaviour.

Exuberance? Since when has it ever, ever been acceptable to display exuberance when the anthem is being sung?! It is socially completely unacceptable and everyone knows it from kindergarten up—earlier if they have parents who bring them to events where the anthem is played.

If he did this knowingly, he’s a hypocrite. If the anthem can be a time to clown around, it can certainly be a time to make a solemn demonstration.

We all have known people who experience dementia/Alzheimer’s. Some of us have known people who abuse drugs. This looks more like either of those rather than exuberance. It would be unkind to ignore the evidence that he might be struggling.

2 Likes Save    
Toby

Melania looks concerned in the video. If this odd behavior escalates between now and the election, will anyone in the WH speak up?

3 Likes Save    
chipotle

No Margo, it's a fact. Trump's presidency will be forever tainted.

6 Likes Save    
queenmargo

No Margo, it's a fact. Trump's presidency will be forever tainted.

2 Likes Save    
Chi

And in all the history books and national and presidential archives and records....and will be a fact long after all of us are gone and most of the details are forgotten.

5 Likes Save    
paprikash

No way! A partisan political impeachment is meaningless

3 Likes Save    
Tito Milian

Exactly, paprikash. Democrats won a majority in the House and then proceeded to abuse that majority and our constitution.

4 Likes Save    
vedabeeps

“You have to stand proudly for the national anthem or you shouldn’t be playing — you shouldn’t be there,” Trump told “Fox & Friends” in 2018, adding, “Maybe you shouldn’t be in the country.”

11 Likes Save    
Toby

Just another grievance in Trump's never-ending list of grievances.

1 Like Save    
Chi

"No way! A partisan political impeachment is meaningless"

Facts are facts - regardless of what his supporters think of the validity, he will go down in history as an impeached president, and the first one in his first term. He may be acquitted, but so have all the other impeached presidents, so that's nothing special or unique to Trump either.

History will forget all of these squabbles between Democrats and Republicans, but it won't forget that Trump was impeached.

7 Likes Save    
AnnKH

Paprikash, since you feel Trump's behavior was not disrespectful, I have 2 questions for you:

1. would you feel the same way if one of the players at the Superbowl behaved exactly the same way during the anthem?

2. If not disrespectful, do you feel that Trump's behavior was normal or acceptable for an adult in a situation where everyone else was standing still?

11 Likes Save    
Uptown Gal

Maybe Hannity will explain it to him...as he does everything, every day in their

morning phone "chats". I wonder if Trumpty-T-Dumpty even knows about all

these things that people credit to him? He can add that to his list of subjects

he is supposed to know about that he has on his reader.

1 Like Save    
socks(10a)

Taking the knee was more respectful and dignified than his behavior.

His fan club has fine tuned making excuses for him: exuberance, locker room talk, rough edges, minimizing every fowl behavior (spelling error intended).

7 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Trump doesn’t love the Flag or the Country. He loves the money he can make from the Flag and the Country.

Every time Trump does something like this, Trumpers need to substitute Obama or Hillary doing the same and ask themselves if it’s still OK? If it’s not OK for them to do it, then it’s not OK for Trump either.

8 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

It's beyond hypocrisy for me, when the very person who complains about something in someone else, does it themselves only worse. So for the president to complain so vociferously about players taking a knee to then dance and play around like a naughty child is really OTT.

But there are so many examples with trump...too many to count: EG:

• pointing at the clinton foundation vs. the govt shutting his down for being essentially a criminal enterprise
  • obama's birth certificate and warren's heritage when trump has lied numerous times about his own...claiming his father was born in Germany when he wasn't and claiming Swedish heritage
  • claiming McCain wasn't a war hero and dissing a gold star family vs his draft-dodging lies
16 Likes Save    
bleusblue2

Tito Milian

Exactly, paprikash. Democrats won a majority in the House and then proceeded to abuse that majority and our constitution.

~~~~

Repeating this over and over does not make it true. Unfortunately too many Republicans feel beholden to Trump and don't do their duty as the Democrats -- who owe him nothing -- have done. In years to come those Republican conversations will start to come out. What they said to each other in alarmed hushed voices, the looks they exchanged. Which Republican would ever say this:

--I agree with President Trump that McCain shouldn't have let himself be captured.

--I agree with President Trump that it's fine to have private unrecorded conversations with Putin -etc.

--I agree with President Trump -- our Intelligence Services are not to be trusted

No, every one of them squirmed out of saying, straight out: This is not acceptable in a President of the United States.

6 Likes Save    
Solsthumper

Once again, the underling ding-a-ling was putting on a show for his ruler Putin. Disgraceful.

Sol

3 Likes Save    

Well....like I said we know Trump loves our Country and flag

No, he really doesn't. If he loved it why didn't he serve it when he had the chance? Bone spurs? Indeed.

What he loves is himself and being a dictator (and probably Putin). There is something seriously wrong with this person who calls himself president.

6 Likes Save    
paprikash

DH has bone spurs. They are very painful.

Save    
paprikash

AnnKH — I do find kneeling players disrespectful. I have been to many a football home party—no one has ever taken a knee or stood for the Anthem. He was at his party with friends and family—not everything the man does deserves the magnifying glass

Save    
AnnKH

My son had a bone spur in his foot. He had surgery 8 years ago, when he was 17, and has had no problems since.

I had a bone spur in my shoulder. I had surgery 10 years ago. I have had no problems since.

Perhaps not all bone spurs can be treated, but certainly some can.

Save    

“He was at his party with friends and family...”

Friends and family who are all standing attentively, hands on hearts. Melania is even singing. They are wearing business clothes and paid to be there; this is a formal event with the President it isn’t beer and wings at miss lindsey’s place.

He is completely out of synch with the rest of his group, and completely out of synch with how anyone experiences the anthem ever. Sit on one’s couch in the living room, grab another drink, stand at attention; all those are pretty common reactions to the anthem at private parties. Dancing to the music, gesticulating to guests, and pretending to conduct an orchestra like a ten year old are not normal. They just aren’t. It’s cause for concern.

Everything the man does deserves a magnifying glass. You’ve heard where that video came from, right? A Russian made it. Looks great to the countries we are striving against on the world stage, doesn’t it? The President doesn’t take his country seriously enough to stand still for three minutes.

3 Likes Save    
AnnKH

paprikash

AnnKH
— I do find kneeling players disrespectful. I have been to many a
football home party—no one has ever taken a knee or stood for the
Anthem.

Thank you for your reply, Paprikash - though I'm not sure you answered my questions.

If you find kneeling for the anthem disrespectful, would you also find it disrespectful if a player pointed at people, waved his arms around, pretended to conduct the band on the field? I assume the answer is yes - but I would rather you answer for yourself.

You stated that you don't stand for the anthem at home - I don't either (as I said up thread). But if you were with a large group, and everyone else DID stand up, hand over heart, would you do so as well? I probably would.

Or would you dance around, make faces, sit down - essential mocking the people around you who are standing at attention?

He was at his party with friends and family—not everything the
man does deserves the magnifying glass

I disagree. That is pretty much what he signed up for - the POTUS is always going to be under scrutiny. This applies to all public figures - but since POTUS is the biggest public figure, his magnifying glass is the biggest.

As I write this, I guess you did answer my question. Since your response was that we maybe shouldn't have been watching his histrionics, that implies that they probably weren't appropriate.

6 Likes Save    
Anna

Re bone spurs. I didn’t read the rest of this but the podiatrist daughters told the story how trump’s father paid to get him that deferment. He’s a phony patriot like his sons. No one in his family ever served.

5 Likes Save    
queenmargo

and not everyone who has served would make a good President.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

and not everyone who has a dog would make a good President.

1 Like Save    
paprikash

The podiatrist’s daughter??? Ummm, doctor/patient confidentiality be damned or was this story you heard just another fairy tale.

Save    
paprikash

Thanks, food. Interesting story or folk lore or fairy tale — we’ll never know

Save    
chipotle

Knowing Trump as we do it's not hard to figure out what's true and what's not.

How many lies as of today? Must be close to 17,000.

2 Likes Save    
Anna

Remember his words on Sterns show? He didn’t get an STD in his war instead of going to Vietnam Nam.

Save    
socks(10a)

The POTUS is always under a microscope which isn't a problem for any appropriate leader, mature adults.

At least those who took a knee had a message. He had none, just a jerk acting the fool.

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

...not everything the man does deserves the magnifying glass...

And not everything the man does deserves an excuse or a pardon or a mulligan or his supporters jumping to his defense. For once, it'd be so refreshing if one of his supporters would say, yeah, that was wrong...

7 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

PresiDementia deepens, currently like dealing with a toddler.

1 Like Save    

It would be interesting to see this video too.

3 Likes Save    
woodnymph2_gw

Good heavens, that looks bizarre! Glad I did not see the whole thing.

1 Like Save    

I’m glad someone was alarmed (or self serving) enough to record it and then make it public.

What else is going on behind the scenes that we are *not* being told about?

1 Like Save    
Anna

He looks drunk or high on adderall.

Save    
Toby

Miss lindsey, we'll know when they all profit from it by writing books.

Save    

:-(

Save    
Nana H

Bizzare....and hugely disrespectful .......but what's new

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides Design Debate: Is It OK to Hang the TV Over the Fireplace?
In the spirit of the upcoming political debates, we kick off a series of conversations on hotly contested design topics
Full Story
Working With an Interior Designer 10 Things Decorators Want You to Know About What They Do
They do more than pick pretty colors. Here's what decorators can do for you — and how you can help them
Full Story