Why the land mine, a persistent killer of civilians...

chipotle

...is coming back under Trump.

"In the last hours of the 1991 Persian Gulf War, U.S. forces encountered a problem of the Pentagon’s making: They had surged toward Iraqi positions so quickly that they were encountering their own land mines dropped from friendly aircraft.

“Coalition aircraft and enemy [antiaircraft artillery] have littered the Corps area of operations with dangerous unexploded ammunition,” read an Army advisory on Feb. 28, 1991. “Extreme caution must be exercised in moving/maneuvering through areas where air strikes have been conducted.”

Since then, most of the world — the United States being an exception — has banned the production and use of land mines because of their threat to civilians long after wars end.

So the Trump administration’s decision this week to expand the use of land mines has baffled and angered humans rights and arms control groups, which say the decision further imperils anyone who may encounter the weapons.

“It’s incredibly troubling we’re having such a step back in acceptable international norms,” Rachel Stohl, an arms control expert at the Stimson Center, a nonpartisan policy research center, told The Washington Post on Saturday. “This is one of the most inhumane weapons that we know of.

“It’s a potential humanitarian catastrophe” to use them again, she added."

Why the land mine, a persistent killer of civilians, is coming back under Trump

SaveComment5Like
Comments (5)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kathy

Where does he plan to use them? At the border?

Save    
elvis

Yikes, scary imagination you have there.

1 Like Save    
chipotle

Where does he plan to use them? At the border?

I'm sure he'd love to.

Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

Why indeed.

Save    
Kathy

It isn’t my imagination. Trump has suggested shooting immigrants below the waist if they trying to cross the border illegally.

Frustrated with a record number of people seeking asylum at the U.S.-Mexico border this spring, President Donald Trump at one point asked in a private meeting with close aides whether the U.S. could shoot migrants below the waist to slow them down.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Lawn Alternatives The Case for Losing the Traditional Lawn
Work less, help the environment and foster connections by just saying no to typical turf
Full Story
Beneficial Insects 7 Reasons Not to Clean Up Your Fall Garden
Before you pluck and rake, consider wildlife, the health of your plants and your own right to relax
Full Story
Life How to Outsmart Backyard Critters
Learn to think like a raccoon, skunk or squirrel to keep your home safe and your garden intact
Full Story