Senate Races 2020

Toby

I'm so disgusted with the GOP Senate that I think we Dems should pay more attention to flipping the Senate instead of obsessing about the presidential race. Much of this partisan division can be pinned on McConnell, starting with his refusal to work with Obama, then denying Merrick Garland a hearing, and finally his capitulation to everything Trump for his and the GOP Senate's own political benefit. If Trump is reelected, McConnell will continue to protect him. Trumpism has now overtaken the GOP.

Here are the seats that are up for election in 2020. Democrats will need to pick up three or four seats to gain a majority in the Senate, depending on which party wins control of the vice presidency.

https://cookpolitical.com/ratings/senate-race-ratings

GOP seats that are labeled toss-ups are Martha McSally in AZ, who lost her election to Senator Kyrsten Sinema but was appointed to McCain's seat by the governor. Her opponent will likely be Mark Kelly, former astronaut and Gabby Gifford's husband.

Cory Gardner of Colorado is a first-term Senator. His opponent will likely be former Governor John Hickelooper. Former Speaker of the State House Andrew Romanov is also running but this is his third campaign for a U.S. Congressional seat and he hasn't been able to get into the big leagues.

Then there is Susan Collins of ME. Her Dem challenger is State House Speaker Sara Gideon.

On the Dem side, Doug Jones of AL is labeled a toss-up. His challenger may be Roy Moore or Jeff Sessions. 'Nuff said about those two!

Cook Political Report has also put a few more Senate races in the "likely" and "lean" categories.

SaveComment24Like1
Comments (24)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leona_2008

I want trump out in the worst way but you are correct that we need to concentrate on taking back the Senate as well. Mark Kelly is running against McSally. https://markkelly.com/

I have contributed to Amy McGrath's and Jaime Harrison's campaigns and plan to give them more. McGrath is running against McConnell and Harrison is running against Graham. Getting those two out of the Senate would be almost as sweet as getting rid of trump.

4 Likes Save    
Toby

I think we may pick up the AZ, CO and ME seats. It looks like we have strong candidates. I'm not sure who else we can pick up. GA, KS, and NC are in the lean GOP column. I was surprised to see Tillis of NC in the lean column as I thought he was a Trump darling. Loeffler in GA, another "lean GOP", was appointed by the governor last year to her seat. She is a GOP mega donor with no governmental experience. I see Kris Kobach is running for the KS Senate seat and that has the GOP worried.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/01/08/with_pompeo_out_republicans_face_kansas_senate_race_headache_142104.html

1 Like Save    
numbersjunkie

I have contributed to many Republican Senate challengers, and some House challengers (Nunes, Jordan), in addition to my Presidential choice. I agree that we need to fight on all levels. I'm not a Bloomberg supporter at this point, but love that he is willing and able to go up against the Republican money bags.

1 Like Save    
Toby

Me too. I see his ads every night. Even if he's not our candidate, he is using his money to inform the voters, which will help our eventual candidate. His ads focus mainly on job creation and healthcare.

2 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

I agree we must flip the Senate, but I’m worried that even having the House and Senate we won’t be able to stop Trump’s authoritarian regime should he be reelected. With the “acquittal” he will be even more drunk with power and I don’t want to think about where that will lead.

2 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

TDS seems to be spreading faster than coronavirus.

It is a waste of time and energy but I guess everyone has to worry about something.

Save    
Toby

I'd appreciate it if you could stick to the topic.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

I think those who stand strongly against Trump and his corrupt and dangerous ways would disagree ensuring he does not see a second term is a waste of their time and energy.

1 Like Save    
Toby

Could we shift the focus of the thread back to the Senate? I'm a little burnt out on discussing Trump.

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

If you are looking for an excellent choice for the U.S. Senate to support, go with Dr. Barbara Bollier from Kansas.

Actually supporting her will be a double pleasure since it means we will be defeating her opponent Kris Kobach (rememberTrump's voter fraud chaser?).

Dr. Bollier has been a Kansas State Senator for a couple terms--as a Repub.--but she was part of the 2018 BLUE WAVE--switching over to Democrat. Seems that when she supported a couple Dem. friends (including our current governor) and did not vote along the party line on a couple bills, the Repubs. stripped her of her committee chairmanships and publicly chastised her.

"Senate President Susan Wagle (R) said in a statement that 'it is unacceptable to betray members of your own party by publicly endorsing leftist Democrats.' "

Dr. Bollier said, "Morally, the [Republican Party] is not going where my compass resides. I’m looking forward to being in a party that represents the ideals that I do, including Medicaid expansion and funding our K-12 schools."

More information here: https://ballotpedia.org/Barbara_Bollier

Great choice--I contributed to her campaign about 20 minutes ago! And her opponent Kris Kobach is not very popular here in Kansas.

Kate

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

Very interesting , another potential flip. I'll add Kansas to my States to watch list.

1 Like Save    
Toby

So Dr. Bollier couldn't pass the purity test.

Kate, why is Iowa so different than Kansas in that Trump has a much higher approval rating in Kansas than in Iowa? He even has a higher approval rating in Kansas than in Nebraska. (Net approval of 1 in NE and 7 in KS on Morning Consult. IA approval -9) Am I wrong to think that those three grain states are very similar culturally and politically?

Save    
Joaniepoanie

It’s encouraging that Mitch has a low approval rating not only in Kentucky but the lowest of all senators. It will be huge if he gets the boot as he should.

4 Likes Save    
deltaohioz5

So I guess if Trump is re-elected but Democrats win the Senate, they could just impeach him and remove him from office immediately. Without the need for witnesses or any evidence to defend him.

4 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Delta——wouldn't that be something!

Save    
Anna

Wouldn’t that be poetic justice impeaching the turtle????

Save    
chipotle

I'd love to see Jaimie Harrison unseat Lindsey Graham.

2 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Toby, I just saw your question about why Trump has a higher rating in Kansas than in the other "grain states" of NE and IA.

I could have sworn I responded--I remember typing a post--guess someone decided to "disappear" it?

However, not a big loss (other than what might seem like rudeness towards you, Toby) since I have no good answer. I've lived in all 3 states (plus one more), and the major difference I have noted is that in the further north states, I can grow lilacs, whereas the further south one moves, it is less likely that those wonderful spring plants will bloom--as least with any regularity--if they survive the winter.

Or, to view it from the opposite angle, the further south one is, the more likely you will grow that late summer beauty Crepe Myrtle, whereas further north, Crepe Myrtle doesn't stand a chance.

That's not the answer I provided on the "disappeared" post, but I don't remember exactly what I said on it other than "I don't know." : )

Kate

Save    
Toby

Senator Doug Jones of AL will vote to convict Trump. He's going to need donations.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Heard his address. What a brave man, someone who truly puts the Constitution and his country ahead of his own political ambitions. He said he would carefully weigh the evidence and make a judgement he could live with without regard to the political consquences.

A man of honor and integrity. Good luck in 2020 Doug, at least you have your character in tact.

1 Like Save    
paprikash

A man who cannot separate evidence from hearsay and opinion. Stupid Doug

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Good luck in 2020 Doug

lol

1 Like Save    
Toby

Lol. If it's hearsay, it's only because Trump would not allow witnesses who could give first-hand accounts, even in his defense, to testify. That was a big relief for Trump supporters, wasn't it?

1 Like Save    
lurker111

I don't believe in fairy tales.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Features ‘I Saw a Glowing Orange Flame Racing Down the Hill to My House’
With more wildfires raging in California, a Sonoma County artist comes to terms with escaping the October fires intact
Full Story
Feel-Good Home Home-Buying Checklist: 20 Things to Consider Beyond the Inspection
Quality of life is just as important as construction quality. Learn what to look for at open houses to ensure comfort in your new home
Full Story
Historic Homes A New Era for African American Trailblazer Madam Walker’s Villa
Plans are underway to turn the first U.S. self-made female millionaire’s mansion into a think tank for women of color
Full Story